• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New previews of Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

The opera boss has sold me on the game, and reminded me a lot to
The_Great_Mighty_Poo.jpg

I always loved the idea behind that boss (boss sings while fighting him) and always wondered why they havent use it more (arkham knight does something similar with a joker fight and is probably the best part of the game).

I always wanted a Punch-Out!! character being an italian opera singer boxing agaisnt you while singing, and his voice are his tells, instead of the visual cues other boxers have.

TBA? Never played XCOM, but that sounds like FF Tactics. If so, I may pick it up after all.

FFTactics is indeed similar. There's grid based movement in both games though there is no job system in this one but it has destructible cover and other things.

Nezzhil

The only sad thing about this game is that I'll not be able to buy a Switch until the end of the year.

The Piranha Plant Rabbid is still my favourite enemy of the game, but the two bosses showed to us, the Kong and and Phantom, are really good.

BTA

I went from grudgingly being interested in this pre-announcement to actually excited to the point where I kinda wanna not watch this stuff and go in relatively blind, huh. Kinda unfortunate that co-op isn't the full game since the leaks made me hope that'd be the case so I could play with my roommate, but that's minor at this point.

Also, wondering for some friends- it's only 3 person squads, so in theory you could always avoid using a Rabbid now, right?

EDIT: Heh, "pyre-announcement". I guess even my autocorrect is thinking about Pyre.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Just saw the promo shots. Supersampled, yadda-yadda, but man, I want to lick this game!

Hype aside, this and Rabbids Go Home are two games that came out of leftfield and absolutely punched way above their public's expectations.

Zedark

TBA? Never played XCOM, but that sounds like FF Tactics. If so, I may pick it up after all.
It really is quite comparable yo FF tactics. You take turns where you move whatever unit you want, and the enemy wait for you to finish your turn before he can move during his turn (clearly turn-based). The only enemy actions possible during your turn are special moves (like Mario's Sights where he can attack one unit that moved within his line of sight, and maybe counters (though I haven't seen a counter performed yet, so I don't know if that is even in). It's not at all real-time, as you can deduce from the above.

VeeP

The_Great_Mighty_Poo.jpg

I always loved the idea behind that boss (boss sings while fighting him) and always wondered why they havent use it more (arkham knight does something similar with a joker fight and is probably the best part of the game).

I always wanted a Punch-Out!! character being an italian opera singer boxing agaisnt you while singing, and his voice are his tells, instead of the visual cues other boxers have.

Have you played DMC4?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GL694lMaOd0

Had a great introduction to the boss fight lol.

Edit: I never played FF Tactics. Is it similar to Shining Force?

mindsale

It really is quite comparable yo FF tactics. You take turns where you move whatever unit you want, and the enemy wait for you to finish your turn before he can move during his turn (clearly turn-based). The only enemy actions possible during your turn are special moves (like Mario's Sights where he can attack one unit that moved within his line of sight, and maybe counters (though I haven't seen a counter performed yet, so I don't know if that is even in). It's not at all real-time, as you can deduce from the above.

You're talking about Overwatch in XCOM - hunkering down during your turn and not taking an action but firing on an enemy who moves into your LOS on their turn - I saw this demonstrated on the Kinda Funny video, so it's in.

mindsale

XCOM is basically a 3D version of FFTactics or Tactics Ogre. You still take turns but it's isometric rather than explicitly grid-based, and you have to take cover and calculate shots taking three dimensional space (line of sight, verticality, et cet) into account.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Hmm I am still not sold on this game partly because I don't give a toss aboot the Rabbid and what I saw of the game play it looks so boring.

However since Ubisoft is publishing this I can just wait and get it when it gets a price drop.

The_Great_Mighty_Poo.jpg

...I had no idea how much I wanted this.

mas8705

I keep looking at this game and I continue to see how it is nothing short of a miracle. A game that was shaping itself up to be one of the most hated games showcased at E3 had not only blew away all expectations and was seen as one of the best games at E3, but we are in a position where this could be one of the best Switch games we will get this year (and with the line up we've gotten thus far and will be getting, that is a hell of an accomplishment).

The end of the month can't come around soon enough and I usually dislike tactic games!

Harpoon

I went from grudgingly being interested in this pyre-announcement to actually excited to the point where I kinda wanna not watch this stuff and go in relatively blind, huh. Kinda unfortunate that co-op isn't the full game since the leaks made me hope that'd be the case so I could play with my roommate, but that's minor at this point.

Also, wondering for some friends- it's only 3 person squads, so in theory you could always avoid using a Rabbid now, right?

So I haven't seen confirmation of this, but can you just use the Mario characters once you have all of them unlocked?

Your party must always include Mario and at least one Rabbid.

http://nintendoeverything.com/mario...eplay-details-snowdrop-engine-confirmed-more/

Yes, players always control a team of three heroes which can evolve at each stage of the game when players recruit new allies. As the leader of the adventure, Mario is a permanent team member, and players will also select at least one Rabbid Hero in their roster. The third hero can be either a Yoshi, Luigi, Peach or another Rabbid Hero.

Rizific

remember when this was leaked/rumored and all the "no one asked for this" posts? yeah, fuck outa here. this combined with xcom2's dlc, someone fast forward August please.

Griss

This game is the most pleasant surprise of the year, and just shows that if you make a quality game, even the worst first impressions can be overcome. Remember that this game was the source of pure ridicule from the moment the idea was leaked (by Emily Rogers I think) to the part where that awful marketing material leaked.

But now everything's lining up for them. The game looks great, it's previewing well, and it's landing onto a console with a rapidly growing install base that's absolutely starving for games, and who will see the presence of Mario as a seal of quality.

Under normal circumstances I could see this kind of spinoff / crossover getting a lukewarm reception, but now? I think this will be a massive, massive success.

remember when this was leaked/rumored and all the "no one asked for this" posts? yeah, fuck outa here. this combined with xcom2's dlc, someone fast forward August please.

Let's be fair, those responses were justified. I mean, the game looks amazing and I can see that it's amazing and I STILL think the idea itself is batshit insane.

Griss

XCom is one of those games I've always wanted to play but never got around to.

With the slow introduction of the strategy elements in this game, I have a feeling that that will be a big advantage for me. As in, I'd rather play this first and then play the more complicated XCom than have played XCom first and feel like this gameplay was a little bit watered down by comparison.

It's nice when things work out that way. My Switch arrives Friday, can't wait. Zelda->Splatoon2->Mario x Rabbids->Mario Odyssey->Xenoblade 2. Gonna be a great 6 months for me. Gotta finish Tokyo Mirage Sessions first though.

Regular Yoshi wasn't unlocked in the sections I played.
I don't remember seeing any restriction saying I had to put a Rabbid character in the party, but in any case I don't think avoiding them in your party is going to make a notable difference in the tone. You'll want them for their abilities like group heal as well.

K' Dash

Regular Yoshi wasn't unlocked in the sections I played.
I don't remember seeing any restriction saying I had to put a Rabbid character in the party, but in any case I don't think avoiding them in your party is going to make a notable difference in the tone. You'll want them for their abilities like group heal as well.

Do you know if the chars you don´t have in your party will level up even if they´re not in your current party?

Zomba13

HOW DOES THIS GAME LOOK THIS GOOD!?

This is one of the most baffling games I've seen. Rabbids are super annoying proto-minions and Mario has a gun but somehow it looks amazing and that trailer made me laugh and smile with that weirdo phantom opera singing rabbid. I can't wait for family friendly Xcom and it might push my Switch getting plans up from "wait till Odyssey".

moeman

Can I say how refreshing it is for Peach to be an actual character and not some pawn used for furthering the damsel in distress trope? I love their treatment of her in this game.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I just remembered I have this pre-ordered and that gave me a huge smile : )

Anteo

Can I say how refreshing it is for Peach to be an actual character and not some pawn used for furthering the damsel in distress trope? I love their treatment of her in this game.

She was playable from the begining in 3d world so.. idk..

heringer

Weird, just watched a video that shows these characters as a team at the end.

Unless Rabbid Mario counts as Mario? Or maybe it's a part of the story where Mario isn't in your team for X reasons.

U8yvGVn.jpg

Those are co-op maps. Each player gets two characters and I think there's no limitation.

Harpoon

Weird, just watched a video that shows these characters as a team at the end.

Unless Rabbid Mario counts as Mario? Or maybe it's a part of the story where Mario isn't in your team for X reasons.

U8yvGVn.jpg

That's co-op mode, where each player controls two characters, so that's a completely different beast.

The game looks really good, but I can't help but be annoyed at the lack of, how could I explain this, Nintendo Magic in the menus and UI. The lack of transitions, the letters that just appear with no effect or fade in text boxes, the fonts. The menus and UI look cheap and lazy as hell, typical Ubisoft. No bells and whistles, no fades, no slides, no bounces, no snaps. Just, bam! Here's a new page! Some parts have them, but many don't. It looks really uneven.

Top Bottom