• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PSM Scores (Jak 3, R&C3, Burnout 3, Under the Skin)

From a poster at the PS2GB. Scores seem a little wonky, so I won't be completely surprised if they're bogus, but he's posted scores before and doesn't seem to have a history of posting crap, so I'll believe them for now

http://boards.ign.com/PS2_General_Board/b5023/67773646/?48

Sorry if they've already been posted.

Jak 3 9 (+ Cool story, hot new gun mods, lots of variety, fun story and plot twists. - Not enough core platforming, story drags at times, a little too buggy)
RandC UYA 10 (+ Amazing online MP, great variety, best set of weapons yet. - Only gripe is music could be better)
Sly 2 8.5
Shadow Hearts: Covenant 10! (Compared it to FF but graphics not as good)
Burnout 3 9.5
Def Jam 8
Tiger Woods 9
HSG4 9
Katamari 9!
Digimon 6
Shellshock 5
Robotech 7.5
Juiced 8
Headhunter 7
Second Sight 8
Conflict Vietnam 8
Digital Hitz 7
Guy Game 3
Mega Man 7.5
T3 7
FIFA 8
Time Crisis 7
Armored Core 7.5
Under the Skin 6
Cabela 6
Rapala 5

I apologize in advance as I won't be able to answer questions. I have to hit the sack and be to work in at 5

Alright, seriously: is SH Covenant THAT good? 'cuz I got it preordered and all, but c'mon here, it's from the cats that brought us fuckin' Koudelka.

SH: Covenant versus Tales of Symphonia (which I'm assuming is the other RPG of the Year contender given that most mag RPG reviewers are too smalldicked to respect Phantom Brave) -- who wins?

Drinky Crow said:
SH: Covenant versus Tales of Symphonia (which I'm assuming is the other RPG of the Year contender given that most mag RPG reviewers are too smalldicked to respect Phantom Brave) -- who wins?

OMG! ROXORRS! FABLE KOTOR!!! SH SUXXORS. PS2ERS AM CRYING [/Reiron Xbox Chant]

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Insertia said:
When did PSM begin giving .5's?

FAKES!!!!!!!!!!1111

They just started in this issue, the mag got a new design.

Alex

"SH: Covenant versus Tales of Symphonia (which I'm assuming is the other RPG of the Year contender given that most mag RPG reviewers are too smalldicked to respect Phantom Brave) -- who wins?"

Nocturne and Kaitos. OH NO.

I need to play Phantom Brave. :(

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Insomniac continues to rock. Hopefully there isn't too much of a platformer cluster f*#@. November is brutal enough before you even break it down into certain genres.

Do they routinely rate so high?

Seems like they are handing out 8.5 plus scores like candy.

Just curious. I don't subscribe to the mag. I get OPM for the demo disc.

Mooreberg said:
Insomniac continues to rock. Hopefully there isn't too much of a platformer cluster f*#@. November is brutal enough before you even break it down into certain genres.

As I posted earlier, SCEA is seriously stacking that month.

GTA:SA comes out a week earlier on 10/26.

Then in November:
--------------------------------
ATV:OF 3 11/2
Killzone 11/2
R&C:UYA 11/2
Jak 11/15
GT4 11/??

It is going to be probably the most brutal month in the history of gaming. (not just because of these games obviously, but w/ Halo 2, MGS3, Half-Life 2, Splinter Cell 3, LOTR 3rd Age, Metroid Prime 2, NFSU 2, etc)

Crimson Skies said:
Do they always rate so highly?

Yeah, the holiday issues always have the highest scores of the year by a HUGE margin as publishers insist on releasing them all at the same time. It's true for every magazine. EGM can go months without a gold and then have 4 of them in the November issue. It's more the state of the industry than overrating by any magazine (except that they can also get sucked up into some of the hype and they are spread extremely thin)

Matlock

Banned
RandC UYA 10

:eek :eek I shall have this...eventually.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant 10! (Compared it to FF but graphics not as good)

Midway is back, bitches!

Conflict Vietnam 8

Nice.

PhatSaqs

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Then in November:
Killzone 11/2
Jak 11/15
GT4 11/??
Man, you'd think they were trying to fend off something by releasing so many games in a 2 week timespan....... oh damn.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
PhatSaqs said:
Man, you'd think they were trying to fend off something by releasing so many games in a 2 week timespan....... oh damn.

November 9th is the day.

1094242931.jpg

Solid

sonycowboy said:
Then in November:
Killzone 11/2
Jak 11/15
GT4 11/??
Hah, Sony is either very smart or very dumb...

teiresias

Does anyone know if R&C:UYA online is BB only or does it support dial-up (just in case I take my PS2 to my grandparent's house while I intern - they only have dial-up).

jiggle

Finally a score that SH2 deserves:D

It's the best RPG I've played this year hands down. It's gonna be even better in english. Can't wait.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
teiresias said:
Does anyone know if R&C:UYA online is BB only or does it support dial-up (just in case I take my PS2 to my grandparent's house while I intern - they only have dial-up).

I think it's broadband only

243646.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Mrbob said:
Shadow Hearts 2 RPG of the year what.

RPG of the Year 2004...until Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne comes out. :p

Alex

I'm not feeling the Shadow Hearts love in the least.

I mean, the original was decent fun, and fairly servicable as a typical genre entry with a twist, but barring the screwy story elements, and upgraded judgement ring, what else is there new in SH2 to make it a 10/10 game?

Given, PSM has mostly been a rag. But is there even a reason to put some consideration down on SH2 with Nocturne coming, like the same damn day?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Alex said:

I mean, the original was decent fun, and fairly servicable as a typical genre entry with a twist, but barring the screwy story elements, and upgraded judgement ring, what else is there new in SH2 to make it a 10/10 game?

Given, PSM has mostly been a rag. But is there even a reason to put some consideration down on SH2 with Nocturne coming, like the same damn day?

Be gone hater.

Mrbob

Shadow Hearts 2 is that good?

I don't believe this news. It's a sequel to a low profile mediocre no name RPG and now it has laid waste to nearly every other RPG released recently?

Alex

Would it be possible to get a response from a non-dumb fuck? There have been painfully few SH2 impressions posted, at least as far as I've seen.

"Shadow Hearts 2 is that good?

I don't believe this news. It's a sequel to a low profile mediocre no name RPG and now it has laid waste to nearly every other RPG released recently"

Exactly. SH1 was decent, but barring darkish themes, oh so typical and wildly unpolished. I'm really wanting to know just how much of an overhaul they did here.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, awfully impressive score for Shadow Hearts. Rather surprising, actually. Usually the lesser known/regarded RPG titles get shoved off in the 8-9 range regardless of how good they are.

And in other news, Katamari Damacy rocks the charts once again. The trash ball bandwagon keeps on rolling!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Alex said:
Would it be possible to get a response from a non-dumb fuck? There have been painfully few SH2 impressions posted, at least as far as I've seen.

"Shadow Hearts 2 is that good?

I don't believe this news. It's a sequel to a low profile mediocre no name RPG and now it has laid waste to nearly every other RPG released recently"

Exactly. SH1 was decent, but barring darkish themes, oh so typical and wildly unpolished. I'm really wanting to know just how much of an overhaul they did here.

Alex barring the unnecessary boring insult there have been a decent # of previews written that mostly talk about the changes to the battle engine... IGN, Gamespot and Gamespy have all done various writeups... I'd suggest searching through Gamerankings.com to get direct links to the various previous, or simply visiting the pages directly.

In addition there have been a few impressions posted here that were positive IIRC.

In the end however none of this matter, as in most cases if someone is predisposed towards not liking something that's usually not going to change regardless.

BTW one of gamespot's previews for the game has a trailer that is... quite embarassing... it takes the game and puts it in a movie style trailer complete with voiceover(from the guy who usually does movie voiceovers)... it's.... muy ridiculous sounding....

jiggle

Alex said:

Not gonna get into a SH2 vs Nocturne debate since I haven't played Nocturne yet (and don't plan to until maybe next year...). Although I don't think any game should be knocked down in point just because a supposedly better game is coming soon.

Neways, my opinion of SH2:
+Large and very unique cast of characters.
+Very interesting story, especially for ppl that played its predecessor. The ending was one of the best ending ever.
+Good FMVs
+Beautifully modeled characters.
+The setting is very different from the norm.
+Nice and detailed backgrounds.
+Very little backtracking to extend game length.
+No "special items" can be missed.
+Quite humorous.
+Lots of customizing with weapons/skills/judgement ring etc. Makes the battle alot more fun than SH1. Hell, it's enough to make the judement ring bearable.

-The enemies are still quite uninspired. Better and more varied than SH1, but nothing memorable.
-I still don't like the judgement ring.

It improves upon SH1 in every possible way, and more. But it doesn't try too hard to get away from the traditional RPG route. Bebpo's written a very good review for this game before (convinced me to give this and SH1 a try). Don't know if he has them online somewhere..

I don't think it "laid waste" to all the RPGs. It's just incredibly polished, fun, and enjoyable game to play. Not innovative if that's what you're looking for.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
CrimsonSkies said:
Do they routinely rate so high?

Seems like they are handing out 8.5 plus scores like candy.

Just curious. I don't subscribe to the mag. I get OPM for the demo disc.
To be fair, there is a lot of quality in that list.

ferricide

Drinky Crow said:
Alright, seriously: is SH Covenant THAT good? 'cuz I got it preordered and all, but c'mon here, it's from the cats that brought us fuckin' Koudelka.
i wouldn't say it's that good, but it's good stuff. it's a vast improvement over the original. i've already enumerated on this extensivley. and my review is in the new EGM and will be out in the new GMR soon enough, so...

Drinky Crow said:
no SMT? no DDS? no fable? oh, and that star wars game, too. =P

AniHawk

Drinky Crow said:

Er... what about Paper Mario 2? Or Shin Megami Tensei? KOTOR II is also coming out this year.

Alex

Thanks, Jiggle. I'll comment more later.

"+Quite humorous.
+Lots of customizing with weapons/skills/judgement ring etc. Makes the battle alot more fun than SH1. Hell, it's enough to make the judement ring bearable."

These are the two I'd like to hear more on. I'm sure they tossed a heftier budget on it, along with a longer development time, and it's probably still one of the better vanillia RPG's of recent years. But I'm still a bit apprehensive.

Ferricide: Are you going to be tossing up a review for Nocturne in any of the mags? Your Fable review was fairly on the money (I like Fable, a hefty bit to be honest, but it's flakey mission structure, low difficulty, and at times clunky controls and layouts can offset the truly stand out parts of the game), and I'd be interested in reading yours moreso than the typical ones that'll come out.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
DarienA said:
I need Shadow Hearts now!!!!

I need it... the day after I beat SO3 :D

I'll never forget... New Years Day, me watching my girlfriend play the original all day... that was good times.

Bebpo

Banned
jiggle said:
Finally a score that SH2 deserves:D

It's the best RPG I've played this year hands down.

I second this. It's probably my favorite rpg this gen. Though I like SMT3 about as much, but SH2 has more heart to it.

*edit* Also since my old SH2 review died with the old board. I'll repost it here.

Shadow Hearts 2 review

Well, I'm gonna start this off with a single statement, "Shadow Hearts 2 is one of the best rpg experinces I've partaken in my years of gaming".

There are many rpgs out there that do things right. In fact there are many rpgs that do many things extremely well. But few rpgs are able to maintain the level of quality all around. For example I consider the majority of Final Fantasy VI to be a fantastic rpg. But when you get to the 2nd half of the game, the pacing falls apart and the overall game is not living up to it's earlier self. Grandia has a near-perfect battle system, yet aside from the 1st game in the series, the rest are lacking in story. The original Shadow Hearts was a game that I felt fit into this category. It was a game with a unique and fun battle system, an interesting historical tale that hadn't really been done before, and it had great ambience. The only down point was that you'd be at the final dungeon by 16 hours in, and that the game was ridiculously easy. Shadow Hearts 2 not only fixes these issues, but improves upon every aspect (except one) of the original tenfold.

The story of Shadow Hearts 2 covers one of the biggest events in the last century, the start of World War 1. Taking place in 1915, the game takes players across real cities such as Wells, Florence, Paris; countries such as Italy, Spain, Russia; and then to even more interesting places which are best left to the imagination. The story of Shadow Hearts 2 works because of three things: The writing, the cutscene direction, and the characters. The writing for the most part is fantastic. The plot always moves at a brisk pace, there are plot twists all the time, and many of the characters in the story get a large amount of character development to keep them human rather than being cliche'd sterotypes. Despite the story being of serious nature, the writers throw in a wide variety of comedy shown through either the main party's interactions with each other, spoofs on anime, games, and Japanese culture, or even just having a little slapstick humor. Yet despite the humor the game maintains a very realistic world and character portrayal, because for the most part these people just act human so you can identify with them. The cutscene direction is not only strong, but is the backbone that holds this journey together. Make no doubt, Shadow Hearts 2 is one of the most (if not the most) story driven rpgs ever. The back of the game's cover proclaims that it has 6+ hours of fully voiced real-time cutscenes. Personally I think they took great liberties with the '+' in order to try not to scare off potential buyers. Upon finishing the game you are allowed access to a theater mode where you can watch any cutscene from the game...the final count of them in this mode is somewhere between 160-170 cutscenes, and these aren't short 15 sec scenes. The majority of them are around the length of the cutscenes in Final Fantasy X, but are shorter than those seen in Xenosaga Ep1. Back to the actual directing; I've always felt that cutscene direction can make or break a story-based 3d rpg. Star Ocean 3 for example is a very story-heavy, cutscene filled rpg. But yet the majority of the cutscenes in SO3 are the camera sitting stationary, usually pretty far from the character, and then switching to another far off camera while the polygon characters stand and talk for a while. Shadow Hearts 2 realizes that cutscene direction like that makes the characters actually feel distant from the player and can even grow tiresome during long scenes, so instead the cutscene director in SH2 decided to make every scene like he was filming a movie. The camera is usually close-up, can pan in dramatic sweeps, and is often placed in artistic angles; This makes each and every scene exciting and extremely enjoyable to watch because each of those 160+ scenes are like their own little movies. Also holding this together is the fact that the character models are just fantastic, and extremely emotive up close. Not only do they fully look around and move their body as a real person would, but the development team must have slaved on for many months because the lyp-synch is so good it's scary, you'll see every syllable being displayed with their mouth while you're hearing it. The overall effect of fantastic lip-synch, great cinematography, and an always exciting plot is one of the most enjoyable game stories I've ever been able to immerse myself in. The main cast is just perfect, each character is not only interesting, unique, and likeable, but they each (except Lucia - voiced by Kikou Inoue) get ample development in the main story and lots more if you involve yourself in their subquests which almost everyone has. There are very few rpgs where you can travel the country in the presence of a puppet-master, a pro-wrestler, a wolf, a russian princess, and others. As a last note on the story, I have to point out that this is in my opinion the best direct sequel to a game/movie/book/etc.. that I've ever seen. The way the story involves almost every story aspect and character of the original, and threads them through an entirely new but yet very much related tale is just ingenious. Players of the first game will be extremely pleased with not only the story connections, but even the little cameos that are almost meant as just a direct service for the fans.

Phew, now that I have the story/presentation out of the way, I can write about the gameplay. Make no butts about it, the battle system in SH2 is a great one. Combining the classic idea of turn based combat with the 3d radius based combat of the Grandia series, and then adding a combo system which the only equivalent I can think of is the Tales of... series. Basic attacking is divided up into several options that allow you to knock the enemy character around the screen and get it where you want it to be. Say you have a character coming up in 2 turns (known thanks to the turn order bar that's at the top of the screen, which not only shows your current and next few turns, but shows where you will end up on the meter next turn if you do a certain attack [Ie. If you would normally have another turn right before the enemy, highlight a large special move may move your icon to behind that enemy, so you might want to be conservative and go for a smaller attack just so you can get one more chance in before the enemy]) So you know your character coming up has a special attack that goes in a rectangle shape and there is an enemy in the middle and on the side, so for your turn you choose knock-back attack and proceed to hit the side enemy into the middle allowing your other character to hit both the middle characters at once in their next attack. The combo system is also extremely useful because you get bonus damage for each hit starting on the 2nd character. The more hits, the higher the bonus damage multiplier. Say if you do a 35+ hit combo with 4 characters that does 2000 normal damage, you would probably gain about an additional 700-900 damage for executing it in a combo. This is great as it makes boss fights nice and quick if you play smart. And you will play smart, because unlike the first Shadow Hearts, the enemies in this game are not so friendly. The enemies in will line them selves up in combo positions, and pile on a character. Or they'll give you a status effect like 'reverse ring' which will make life hectic for you. But if you set your players up intelligently and form a strategy you'll often be able to beat battles without letting the enemy even attack. The game also rewards you for being efficient. Finish a battle up with no damage, perfect rings, or without letting the enemy strike and the game will add a bonus item and cash to your rewards. Each character also has their own unique fighting system. You won't be getting swordsman A, swordsman B, magic user in your party where characters can be easily switched with each other. No, all eight of the playable characters have their own skill selection that you must plan to your advantage when selecting your main party of 4 (you can setup 3 parties, A/B/C and then change them with a click of the L2 button at any time. You can also do shortcut combo settings so you never have to see a menu after the start of a combo until the last hit of the 4th person). Each character has their own way of learning new specialty skills, whether it's fighting wrestling matches, searching for books of composers, or finding certain 'odd ^^;;' cards to give to the very 'odd ^^;;' salesmen who follow you around in the game.

Even not mentioning the battle system, the rest of the gameplay is just as great. There are many dungeons in the game and they all (except for 1 early on in the game) are splendidly rendered into full 3d. Whether you're going through the hulls of a battleship, the halls of a palace, or the depths of hell, you will really enjoy the experience. The textures in the game are fantastic not only on the characters, but the locations as well. This helps both the believability and also is just good on the eyes. The dungeons puzzles start off fairly simple and easy, but gradually get harder (though no brain-busters here) and some are quite fun to work through. The dungeons are nice and short to medium size, so you never have to spend more than 30 mins and the game is not difficult to the point that you will ever have to just stand around a save point leveling. The towns look great and have lots of locales walking around them to offer you either a view of the historic events happening, or just tell you about their life.

Lastly I'll touch on the extras. The game is filled with stuff to do on the side at any point in the game, and near the end there are more sub-quests and bonus stories than you can shake a stick at. For a start the game has 'five' hidden dungeons. Each complete with their own story around them and sometimes full voiced cutscenes. Compared to most games which have a single bonus dungeon that's already some good hours after finishing the game. Then there are the usually ultimate weapon quests for the characters, there are sub-quests for obtaining the skills of all your characters, there is a map of Solomon that has you placing your various magic items onto a great map to open up their full power, there are battle arena type challange tests that force you to do things like 'win 5 battles while poisened and without using items', or 'win with a 30+ hit combo'. There really is a lot to do in the game, so even if the main story only lasts you 35-45 hours, you can expect another 10 or so added on here.

I did mention at the start that there's one area that the sequel did not surpass the original and that is in the subject of music. The original Shadow Heats took me by surprise with one of the best soundtracks I'd ever heard for an rpg. Instead of being a nice symphonic fantasy soundtrack, it used very mettalic and industrial noises to form a kinda mainstreamed version of glitch music meets techno/rock. This soundtrack was composed by Yoshitaka Hirota (in his very first debut score) and Yasunori Mitsuda (of Chrono trigger/cross XG/XS fame). Shadow Hearts 2 features these two great composers back again, this time with the help of Kenji Ito also. Let me get this out of the way: The music in Shadow Hearts 2 ranges from good to fantastic, there is no bad in the soundtrack. But I can't help comparing it to the SH1 ost which was more like 20% good, and 80% really awesome. I will say there are a few amazingly good and very crazy songs in SH2, but there are definitely less standouts than SH1. Also some of the great themes in SH1 like Roger Bacon's make a second showing in SH2.

So there it is. I had been hoping that Shadow Hearts 2 would be the fanatastic game that it's predecessor was a few steps away from being, but realistically I didn't expect it to be more than a good showing from a small developer. But the game really surprised me, it has the style, production values (even a few fantastic CG FMVS), and gameplay of the major rpg publishers, yet from what I can tell the development team was not that large and couldn't have had that much money since SH1 sold kinda mediocre in both Japan (~90k) and the US (~64k). But games like Shadow Hearts 2 give me hope that the future of rpgs and even games in general aren't just going to end up in the hands of a few big companies and their few releases a year. Shadow Hearts 2 shows that if you have a group of talented people who truly love what they are doing and work day and night (and probably back into the day ^^;;) for months on end just so they can put out the best game possibly; If you have conditions like that, than even the small guys can make games that turn heads and make an impact (if not on the gaming world, than at least in the hearts of those who play them). Shadow Hearts 2 is a sum of many, many, and many fantastic parts. There is really nothing bad to say about the game, and nothing that you can even blow off as 'just good', every part of Shadow Hearts 2 is absolutely fantastic and the whole of that is one of the greatest rpg experiences I've had the pleasure of partaking in. Thank you Aruze, and I look forward to see what you can do next,

9.6/10

Alex

Wow, that sounds fairly damn solid, espically the combat system boosts, although not exactly thirlled with a Tales-esque combo system being tacked in, it's nothing I'd complain about.

The theme, characters, polish and side stuffs sound all quite uber as well, although smallish, braindead puzzle dungeons excite me not.

What's the level of challenge like in the game/sidebits? You talked about this a bit, but it's important to me so I just thought I'd ask for a further opinion.

I'm turning less and less tolorent of childish difficulty levels in game, Fable is pressing my nerves as I coast through it without even spending EXP, if it's not so, is it at least satasfying to levels enemies and to simply use the combat engine? Much intensity?

Also, is there any solid character building, and isn't there some judgement ring design this time around as well?

Sigh, I think I'll wind up picking it up a fair bit sooner. Thanks so much for the repost, Beb. Sounds like a pretty unexpected leap indeed.

Nocturne sounds a lot more to my tastes, as I'm not too interested in continuation and story-telling, but after that, I guess I'll mosey right on over the SH2. 'Tis a good year.

ferricide: I'm betting most reviewers (i.e. not you) knock SMT and DDS down for being "too hardcore" or somesuch. After the way Phantom Brave got slightly pooped on, my faith in the average reviewer being able to discern SMT's genius is practically nil. I sorely doubt it has the interminable cutscenes, generic anime antics, and cheesy special effects needed to make it an FFX-style RPG OF THE YEAR among the professional elite. Symphonia/Covenant on the other, are both safe bets that while not excelling (well, I'm assuming in the case of Covenant) in design and mechanics, manage to be more accessible to the more casual RPG fan with their emphasis on story and simple mechanics.

Forgot abouot Paper Mario 2 (which I don't care about) and KotOR 2, which while having Chris Avellone penning the plot looks pretty dry right now.

SMT:N is my personal GOTY, I know it ahead of time lol. Paper Mario was actually a LOT of fun in the demo I played, so I can't wait for that. As for magazine/journalist RPGs of the year, who really knows. All the comments from big name places I've seen on SMT have been very positive thus far.

Covenant, while I want it, is just going to have to wait. Money is so tight and there's just too much good stuff going on.

Alex

My Mario RPG opinion is warped to the point where I hardly understand it myself. Hated SMRPG, hated Paper Mario, had quite a bit of fun with M&L, have no idea what to think about Paper Mario 2.

AniHawk

Alex said:
My Mario RPG opinion is warped to the point where I hardly understand it myself. Hated SMRPG, hated Paper Mario, had quite a bit of fun with M&L, have no idea what to think about Paper Mario 2.

Well that's because no two same developers have worked on a Super Mario RPG until now.

Super Mario RPG: Square
Paper Mario: Intelligent Systems
Mario & Luigi: Alpha Dreams
Paper Mario 2: Intelligent Systems

Jonnyram had some words of high praise for PM2, and I asked him a week ago if he could give GAF a full-out impressions thread, but the guy is busy and I'm not going to keep hounding him. One of the things he did say was that Paper Mario 2's battle system feels a lot more cohesive than Mario & Luigi's. It took him 40+ hours to beat the game too, so it's not going to be a short one either.

Top Bottom