• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Silent Hill 2 soundtrack previews are up

GrayChild

Full preview of the SILENT HILL 2 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - 2024 - (CD), coming November 20th, 2024.

This collection from the SILENT HILL 2 remake gives new life to the original soundtrack, with both all-new songs and new arrangements of classic tracks, all newly recorded by renowned series composer Akira Yamaoka.
This 3-CD set is packed with a wide selection of tracks, specially chosen by Yamaoka himself.

Full preview of the SILENT HILL 2 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - 2024 - Extra Edition, available digitally and on streaming services starting November 20th, 2024. This comprehensive digital edition collects the full game soundtrack, including tracks that couldn't fit into the CD collection.

Last edited:

tommib

Not sure I like the new arrangements. Sounds like an overload in some instances. Minimalism was the point in the original. They’ve added a lot of fat to these tracks.

Why.

tommib

I just think Yamaoka's best days are behind him. None of his other recent output (The Medium, Stray Souls, SH: The Short Message etc.) can hold a candle to what he did during the good old Team Silent days.
A lot of these decisions come from the top.

I remember when Demon’s Souls remake came out and I was outraged at the new soundtrack. I was talking to a friend who works in the business, close to PlayStation Studios. I was blaming the new composer for the arrangements and the reinterpretation. He corrected me saying that the composer has barely a say these days. All decisions are made at the highest levels. Artists just do what they’re asked to do.

We’re not in the late 90s anymore.

I have a couple thoughts about it so far. A lot of the pieces are lacking the contextual magic that the original soundtrack has (for me). It's very pro in terms of the overall quality of instrumentation and the mix, but I think that's to its detriment. There's some cool new stuff though. Lots of strings, which changes the vibe. It sounds more like compositions from a modern TV show. Obviously a lot has changed from when the original was created, and Akira has no doubt grown. I think this will be a polarizing release for Silent Hill fans. Many will miss the claustrophobic/trippy/dense atmosphere of the original

Though honestly, the more I listen the more out of place it feels.

Last edited:
Some very unnecessary arrangements, and it sounds like Yamaoka-san has been listening to too many movie soundtracks:

That's what I think as well. Movies/TV shows. It's been Hans Zimmerized. I finished the preview and feel nothing honestly. It really lacks the dread and hopelessness of the original. Even expanded original tracks are crowded now.

I really liked "Cryptic Echoes" though.

Last edited:
Not sure i like this. And it's stupid to force people to install a mod if they want the original soundtrack, even more being the same composer.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

The cracks are starting to show... 👀 👀 👀

Let's hope other parts of the game make up for this downgrade.

Or let players choose between the OG and remake OST.

Last edited:
Top Bottom