• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SteamOS beta hints at an imminent general install with ROG Ally support added | PC Gamer

T-Cake

Has anyone been using the new game recording feature in the current beta? Wondering if it's any good.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Has anyone been using the new game recording feature in the current beta? Wondering if it's any good.

It's not a Steam Deck exclusive feature, but the early beta was lackluster. It's been improved since then, but haven't tested it since the early days.

00_Zer0

I hope this news leads to an official release of SteamOS for all hand held PCs, laptops, and desktops. Sure you can try it now, or go the unofficial route, but right now the official features of SteamOS are being handicapped by tailoring the experience more towards the Steam Deck only, and AMD GPU's. Once Valve releases a version of SteamOS that supports a full desktop experience and Nvidia GPU's then goodbye Windows for my main OS.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I hope this news leads to an official release of SteamOS for all hand held PCs, laptops, and desktops. Sure you can try it now, or go the unofficial route, but right now the official features of SteamOS are being handicapped by tailoring the experience more towards the Steam Deck only, and AMD GPU's. Once Valve releases a version of SteamOS that supports a full desktop experience and Nvidia GPU's then goodbye Windows for my main OS.

My plan is to dual boot on desktop with Linux being my main, but having a Windows install as a backup plan. Only thing holding me back is Nvidia drivers for Linux. Someone told me a few weeks ago that there was progress coming on that front but I haven't heard much since.

My plan is to dual boot on desktop with Linux being my main, but having a Windows install as a backup plan. Only thing holding me back is Nvidia drivers for Linux. Someone told me a few weeks ago that there was progress coming on that front but I haven't heard much since.
It hasn't been a long time since the former lead maintainer of Nouveau got hired by Nvidia. The 555 beta driver brought explicit sync support for Nvidia a mere 3 months ago.

It will, the question is when. Lawrence Yang has on record stated that SteamOS will come to handheld PCs first before being available for desktops.

Soodanim

An officlal SteamOS release with a Steam Controller 2 that is essentially the Steam Deck without the screen would be beautiful.

Fahdis

Hahaha pure gaming heaven innit bruv?

Top Bottom