• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New study claims there are 20 times more galaxies than originally thought in universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

Isn't the whole point of an ever expanding universe that there is more than previously calculated?

The expansion of space doesn't have much to do with the amount of the matter in the universe

Just because the milk carton gets bigger doesn't mean that there'll be more milk

Note: that's just in the OBSERVABLE universe.

It's theorized we can only see 10% of the entire universe from Earth, and the stuff we can't see is so far away its light hasn't reached Earth yet and might NEVER reach Earth before our own Sun burns out.

Dynomutt

dyuqositrcidpdbedqwn.gif

Hmm...

Lime

This basically means Bioware will have even more outs should they fuck up their sci-fi universe again and again

20x is the least astronomical figure I think I've ever seen. I mean, usually when they present things about the vastness of space, they talk about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars or whatever... so somehow the phrase "it's 20 TIMES AS MUCH" just kind of falls flat. Call me when it's 400 trillion times as much.

Clefargle

Incredible. I just did the rough math:

So with 2 trillion galaxies X avg # of stars per galaxy:

That comes to 2e+23 stars is the (visible) universe.

Literally awesome

I mean

This guarantees theres life out there right? Like the saying goes, "You dont get to trillions of galaxies without making a few lifeforms"

theWB27

Has anyone ever tried to comprehend the size of the universe? It can drive you mad.

I love the idea that we can't imagine how big it is. Like....we can grasp when something is small because it can always be compared to something bigger for context. Space though....nah

So, would that mean there could far less Dark Matter than we previously believed?

No because a certain amount of dark matter needs to be present around the galaxy to prevent the galaxy from flying apart.

What this means is dark energy has to make up an even greater amount than the current 70% currently believed than the combined total of matter and dark matter in order for the expansion of the universe to make sense.

If I understand that correctly.

DBT85

Yeah, there's intelligent life out there somewhere. We'll almost certainly never meet it, and it'll almost certainly never meet us. But its out there. It's got to be.

So, would that mean there could far less Dark Matter than we previously believed?

There's 26 episodes guy and another season on the way!

Nekofrog

Banned
Now consider the possibility that thousands if not millions of intelligent civilizations may have come before us and been wiped out by any number of kinds of incidents (natural planetary disasters, wars, cosmic intervention) millions of years before we even existed, and that our civilization is just going to be another one lost forever some day. Then millions of years later, in some other part of the galaxy, they will wonder the same thing.

That's how big and how old the universe is. To even think that we are the first, let alone the only form of life to emerge is narcissistic beyond belief.

Airola

To even think that we are the first, let alone the only form of life to emerge is narcissistic beyond belief.

Why?

If it's possible, it's possible.
We might be the first and we might be the last.

Nothing so far proves the opposite. The only straw we can hang on is based on "well if there's that many, then there MUST be" type of wishful thinking. Currently we are the only, the ONLY, sign of life apart from hypothetical guesses based on statistical thinking. Statistics don't make anything a reality.

Our galaxy looks to be empty apart from us. Our existence is behind astronomically bad odds. The odds probably aren't any better in any of the other galaxies.

That's a completely plausible scenario. There's nothing narcissistic in admitting that.

smurfx

get some go again
think of all the life that must be on those galaxies and we will never ever see it thanks to dark energy. :(

Hastati

I wonder if this makes it more likely by some small margin that the same morphology will repeat itself numerous times across the inevitable myriad sibling inhabited planets that exist? It's inevitable that DNA-based life would run rampant among these populations, how many of them over a 1-4 billion year period have gone through similar waves of evolution on planets with similar mass and tectonics etc?

Are there a number of species that look just like humans simply because the statistical threshold for that occurrence has been breached many times over, simply due to the sheer number of planets that likely exist (and have existed over the past 13 billion years)?

Air

Banned
Very cool. Never really get the insignificant talk. The more I see this kind of stuff, the more significant I think we are.

This also has me curious about the role of dark matter- maybe with all this extra mass you could potentially account for dark matter (probably even dark energy and flow). Maybe, maybe not. Looking forward to see where this all goes.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
'The universe is INFINITE! ... But yeah around 200billion galaxies'

2000 billion galaxies. You missed a zero.

We've got the number exactly, definitively and accurately spot on this time guys, promise no more revisions and no more tech advancements. We've got this nailed down to a perfect science.

LOL.

Said no astronomer ever.

We've got the number exactly, definitively and accurately spot on this time guys, promise no more revisions and no more tech advancements. We've got this nailed down to a perfect science.

LOL.

Amir0x

Banned
I think we should be spending way more on space exploration, but we are getting much improved capabilities with James Webb, due to lunch in two years.

bn81Vsc.jpg

1DGT2b5.jpg

Looks badass too. We're sending it beyond the moon, most likely to make invading aliens think we got a super space laser.

p.s.
Yeah, congress almost killed it.

I sometimes have nightmares imagining the rocket taking up the James Webb Telescope exploding. Or it malfunctioning. Id be dead before they did it again :(

Two trillion galaxies. God. Damn.

Kinsei

Banned
Damn. It's a shame humanity will never explore them in our lifetime.

I sometimes have nightmares imagining the rocket taking up the James Webb Telescope exploding. Or it malfunctioning. Id be dead before they did it again :(

Two trillion galaxies. God. Damn.

Now I'm going to worry about that. Thanks a lot.

The Beard

In addition to pinning down a total number, the study analyzed the number of galaxies that were present in the distant past compared to the number of galaxies that exist now. By peering 13 billion light-years into the past, shortly after the Big Bang, the researchers found that there were 10 times more galaxies in the ancient universe than there are now (most of which were small—about the size of the satellite galaxies that orbit the Milky Way).

This melts my brain. Looking 13 billion light years into the past? Jesus. When looking that far, how can they differentiate which galaxies still exist and which don't?

DBT85

Why?

Nothing so far proves the opposite. The only straw we can hang on is based on "well if there's that many, then there MUST be" type of wishful thinking. Currently we are the only, the ONLY, sign of life apart from hypothetical guesses based on statistical thinking. Statistics don't make anything a reality.

Our galaxy looks to be empty apart from us. Our existence is behind astronomically bad odds. The odds probably aren't any better in any of the other galaxies.

That's a completely plausible scenario. There's nothing narcissistic in admitting that.

Saying our galaxy looks to be empty apart from us is like saying you can't find any fish in your toilet.

Woorloog

Banned
Can we not see the galaxies because they are made up of dark matter or that they are just too far away?

The universe is big. And since the universe expanding constantly (faster than light to boot, space itself is stretching), we can never see the galaxies that are sufficiently far away. The further the galaxies are from us, the more redshifted they're, until they're effective invisible.

As a side note, there do seem to be dark matter galaxies as well, or more specifically, galaxies whose mass is mostly made from dark matter. Dark matter doesn't emit any radiation, nor doesn't interact with matter (except gravitation, apparently).

rjinaz

Why?

I don't see how it's a completely plausible scenario. The current statistics is based on the fact that we do exist. You mention astronomic odds for our existence, but when weighed against the entire observable universe those conditions are the complete opposite of astronomical.

I will acknowledge that us being the only intelligent life in the galaxy is an possibility sure in that it cant just be ruled out completely until proven, but that option is so entirely astronomically small that it shouldn't be entertained at all by anybody intelligent, unless you believe there is a creator determining these things and not the laws of nature.

Oozer3993

The existence of dark matter was inferred from the rotational movement of individual galaxies, so I'm not sure this affects that.

This melts my brain. Looking 13 billion light years into the past? Jesus. When looking that far, how can they differentiate which galaxies still exist and which don't?

When it comes to astronomy, distance = time. The farther away something is, the farther back in time we see it. Everything a certain distance from us, we will see as the same amount of time in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom