• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New study claims there are 20 times more galaxies than originally thought in universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our existence is behind astronomically bad odds. The odds probably aren't any better in any of the other galaxies.

The odds are "astronomically" bad.

Astronomic.

As in, the only comparison you could make is to the inconceivable vastness of our universe.

What were we talking about again?

hoola

Neo Member
Teleportation tech is the only thing that will allow us to expand, other than time and tenacity. Is teleportation even remotely possible? That is what these billionaires should be investing their money into, not the matrix theory.

Teleportation tech is the only thing that will allow us to expand, other than time and tenacity. Is teleportation even remotely possible? That is what these billionaires should be investing their money into, not the matrix theory.

Having a telepod on the other side? Probably. massive energy expenditure for it, mo liek, and they you got a perfect clone walking around in the other side of the universe.

Without a telepod? Eeeeeh...

There is a theory I heard of that if it is possible, the original person would die and just leave behind a copy. That is scary stuff.

So infinite then. We will just keep discovering more and more until eventaully people will just accept that it is infinite. Or at least one universe in an infinite ocean of universes.

Regiruler

57b.jpg

Jesus can't be god's only son. He has to have other sons too... right?
Why is earth so special if that was the case?

It's more likely that Jesus went on a tour.

All that agonizing over the Drake equation and someone just stuck a x20 onto the end of it..

But also it's a bit more lonely because with 20x the number of super civilisations out there still nobody is telling us what galactic UN to join.

The universe is big. And since the universe expanding constantly (faster than light to boot, space itself is stretching), we can never see the galaxies that are sufficiently far away. The further the galaxies are from us, the more redshifted they're, until they're effective invisible.

As a side note, there do seem to be dark matter galaxies as well, or more specifically, galaxies whose mass is mostly made from dark matter. Dark matter doesn't emit any radiation, nor doesn't interact with matter (except gravitation, apparently).

How does something move faster than light?

The scale of the universe is just so obscene, it's absurd to even think about. The scale was already at a value infinitely beyond human comprehension, and it's now thought to be even bigger. While I never like hearing people diminish human achievements or struggles based on scale alone, it's absolutely fascinating just how much is out there. Looking at it statistically, there's just so much possibility out there, and yet physical limitations of speed and the vast distances between even stars in our own galaxy seemingly provides an impenetrable barrier to us.

The scale of the universe is just so obscene, it's absurd to even think about. The scale was already at a value infinitely beyond human comprehension, and it's now thought to be even bigger. While I never like hearing people diminish human achievements or struggles based on scale alone, it's absolutely fascinating just how much is out there. Looking at it statistically, there's just so much possibility out there, and yet physical limitations of speed and the vast distances between even stars in our own galaxy seemingly provides an impenetrable barrier to us.
I used to think about this all the time but then I realized that I haven't even left my own continent so I should probably focus on my own planet first

Astral Dog

I used to think about this all the time but then I realized that I haven't even left my own continent so I should probably focus on my own planet first

its incredible how people get frustrated when they realize they probably wont get to visit another planet when they have an amazing giant blue ball on their feet.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I sometimes have nightmares imagining the rocket taking up the James Webb Telescope exploding. Or it malfunctioning. Id be dead before they did it again :(

DAMMIT AMI, WHY YOU GOTTA JINX US LIKE THIS?

This is going to bother me for two years.

Professor Conselice, in partnerships with researchers at the University of Edinburgh and Leiden University in the Netherlands, used Wilkinson's work and data from telescopes around the world, particularly Hubble, to create 3D maps of different parts of the universe. Mathematical analysis of the models using the calculated density of the galaxies and the volume for each mapped region of space allowed the researchers to deduce how many galaxies we are missing in our observations, and in turn, how many there are in total spread across the universe.

Can someone explain this? How does analyzing known galaxies tell us about galaxies we don't know? Is it that the previous calculations of matter were wrong? Why would this missing matter be found in invisible extra galaxies instead of more dark matter?

Phil Plait had a good explanation of this discovery in his latest column:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astr...re_two_trillion_galaxies_in_the_universe.html

This doesn’t meant the Universe is ten times bigger than we thought, or there are ten times as many stars. I’ll explain — I mean, duh, it’s what I do — but to cut to the chase, what they found is that there are lots of teeny, faint galaxies very far away that have gone undetected. So instead of being in a smaller number of big galaxies, stars are divvied up into a bigger number of smaller ones.
Mind you, just because we don’t see 90 percent of the galaxies in the Universe doesn’t mean this explains dark matter or anything like that. We know that’s not made of any kind of normal matter like the stuff that makes up stars, planets, you, and me. These unseen galaxies are extremely far away, and made of stars and gas and dust just like galaxies here are. It’s just that they’re faint.

And it doesn’t mean the Universe has 10 times more mass than we thought. The mass is the same, it’s just distributed differently than we thought. It’s like knowing there are a million people in a city, and finding out they live in 100,000 buildings when you thought they were only in 10,000. There are more buildings, but not more people.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If galaxies are moving, wouldn't we see the same ones more than once?

gaugebozo

There is a theory I heard of that if it is possible, the original person would die and just leave behind a copy. That is scary stuff.
There is a quantum result commonly called "no quantum cloning" that states that when you want to make a copy of something, you change the original state the first thing was in. When the state of something gets changed in physics, it's not like you go from being hit to being cold or something, you end up with something completely different.

In this case though, you'd make an EXACT copy. It brings up questions of what a "particular" object even is.

robosllim

Having a telepod on the other side? Probably. massive energy expenditure for it, mo liek, and they you got a perfect clone walking around in the other side of the universe.

Without a telepod? Eeeeeh...
The best theory I've heard for "teleportation" would be to capture two ends of a micro-wormhole (which are constantly popping in and out of existence all around us), expand them, then move them into play. That still requires conventional travel to set the origin and destination, of course. Other than that, we'd just have to get lucky finding an existing stable, traversable wormhole, which probably isn't a thing.

We're better off working on FTL transportation based on bending space.

If galaxies are moving, wouldn't we see the same ones more than once?
The distances are so vast and the time frames so small that they basically appear stationary. Plus most movement is in the expansion of the universe, so everything beyond our local cluster is essentially moving away from us in each direction.

13ruce

Banned
All these claims and i'm still waiting on real proof for the Big Bang.

Most still call it a widely accepted theory thats why i'm waiting.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Teleportation would still happen at the speed of light. Not feasible for managing an interstellar empire. Nothing is, aside from impossible faster than light travel

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
All these claims and i'm still waiting on real proof for the Big Bang.

Most still call it a widely accepted theory thats why i'm waiting.

what would constitute proof of an event that happened 13.7 billion years ago? it's not like anyone can show you it. we can just infer it from the current state of the universe (from observation) and our best theory about it (GR).

Please proceed Universe, please continue blowing my mind.

To be honest I always thought 100 billion was on the conservative side, but two trillion? Wow, and who knows, that number could be low as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom