• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Luigi U |OT| I do it !

Was going to ask if it is worth it, but those screens look really cool.

Wii U Pro Controller Support is great too. I found a $5 code I had and just bought it, what the heck!! Downloading...

codhand

This was seriously helpful.
People need to look at this.
I downloaded the game update but it was obviously not the correct one, and so the Wii U eshop would not let me download the DLC. Following the above instructions fixed everything.
Thank god for the internet and GAF.

i followed his instructions, deleted the update, still have the problem :-( gave up hours ago

Murrah

Banned
I've seen multiple people complain about this on miiverse already..
basically saying its super lazy and don't buy it.

People complaining NSMB is lazy, there's a new one

Lazy isn't the word for it. Like I said a few posts up, two worlds in I'd say the level design is already more creative than anything in the past four NSMB games. But the 100 second timer doesn't really let the levels breathe properly. That's a pretty big problem, and the shorter levels were definitely put in place so Nintendo could get some much needed first party content out on the system. But it's not lazy

raviolico

goddammit!!!

i really suck at 2D Marios... already struggled through the main game only to realize that this DLC is going to be my personal NintenDark Souls.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Wii U Pro Controller Support is great too. I found a $5 code I had and just bought it, what the heck!! Downloading...

I still can't understand why they didn't support it from the beginning. It's awesome.

Played through the first two worlds, but haven't gotten all the star coins/secret exits since I usually save that for later. I dunno how I feel yet. The level design is brilliant at times, but I feel like the 100 second timer is a detriment to the game, and that's coming from someone who thought the strict time limit was actually gonna be a good thing going into it. The castles have been my favorite, especially world 2 castle; first time Luigi's slip-slideyness really messed up my playing in a major way, but again, in a more fun(ny) way than frustrating

But I definitely feel like the level design is the most inventive 2-D Mario has been in a while. Relies more on, like...set pieces? Maybe that's not the right word. Everything feels like it's going really fast, and there tends to be way more moving parts going on at any given time than in any of the other NSMB games. Looking forward to playing more tonight

I tend to agree. I've played through the first two worlds. I really like what I've seen so far. The levels are shorter than in NSMBU, but like SMB3's levels, they pack plenty of obstacles and neat ideas in that space. They seem to have more natural momentum than a typical Mario level (as you said, almost all of them have moving parts) - to the point where the time limit adds little to the player's incentive to go quickly. The main consequence of the 100-second limit is to make star coins a trickier proposition. I kind of wish they'd done without it. Oh well. I'm still very happy with the game.

After reading some of the slight changes in this DLC I think more and more that NSLU should have been the main game and Mario/Peach or whoever else the DLC, or even more Luigi fun.

Not that it would have changed anything saleswise but it would have helped against the series fatigue after the NSMB2 on 3DS. I am certainly not complaining but I skipped on NSMB2, some people have.

What do you guys think?

After reading some of the slight changes in this DLC I think more and more that NSLU should have been the main game and Mario/Peach or whoever else the DLC, or even more Luigi fun.

Not that it would have changed anything saleswise but it would have helped against the series fatigue after the NSMB2 on 3DS. I am certainly not complaining but I skipped on NSMB2, some people have.

What do you guys think?

I think they should have tried to make it more SMB2-esque and have four distinct characters similar to what they're doing in the new 3D world game. It would have spiced up the gameplay at least a bit. Then for the DLC they could have had a few character packs or something with levels designed specifically for each individual character or what not, I guess.

I think they should have tried to make it more SMB2-esque and have four distinct characters similar to what they're doing in the new 3D world game. It would have spiced up the gameplay at least a bit. Then for the DLC they could have had a few character packs or something with levels designed specifically for each individual character or what not, I guess.

Good idea but you know, its the yeaar of Luiiigi!!

I've only completed the first two worlds and a lot of the levels are very cleverly designed. It kinda threw me off guard how challenging the game was right off the bat. Some of the star coins are very well hidden as well; I've had to replay a lot of the levels multiple times just to find one.

Great DLC.

zroid

Banned
Finished the first world: good times.

Is there a secret exit in the same W1 stage as NSMBU? Could not find it. :(

Kouriozan

I'm at world 7 atm, and yes, the level design of some level are really good, even better than NSMB U.
It start to get hard at world 5, at least for me. Missed tons of star coins but I tend to finish the game first so I can save anytime I want.
The towers/castles are definitely the better level most of the time, but some regular level are genius too.

Sojiro

He can play as Nabbit.. wonder if that's why included haha

I think it is. My son and I took this on a bit while I was at lunch. He played Nabbit and was still dying quite a bit :D. The game is seriously fun, I like the more fast paced approach this has over NSMBU, I can already tell getting all the star coins is going be a VERY fun time :D. Btw Nabbit being invincible on the bosses as well seems a tad bit broken, but whatever, its all about the levels.

Can you do multi-player where one player uses the Gamepad (not for drawing blocks) and one uses the wiimote? This was not possible in Mario U.

Bummers for me.

No sound from the gamepad when using the Wii U Pro controller. I like to play like this.
The time constraint as I like to take my time, but it does make it more challenging.
No save everywhere. I already beat NSMBU and I am getting what I missed so I love that after you beat it you can save anywhere. Not in NSLuigiU.

After you beat NSLU do you get save everywhere feature?

Drenrim

Neo Member
The level design in this DLC is bloody brilliant. Like serious. Some of the levels are just crafted from an artisan hahah

Bummers for me.

No sound from the gamepad when using the Wii U Pro controller. I like to play like this.
The time constraint as I like to take my time, but it does make it more challenging.
No save everywhere. I already beat NSMBU and I am getting what I missed so I love that after you beat it you can save anywhere. Not in NSLuigiU.

After you beat NSLU do you get save everywhere feature?

Quick save is still available (I think... I know I saw the balloon icon) which is just as good. You just can't forget to save again the next time you boot the game up.

zroid

Banned
I don't really know why some people have a problem with quick save anyway...

I mean the only way in which it's less useful than a "true" save is you won't lose progress after a Game Over. Who the heck Games Over in NSMB!? You get like five 1-Ups for each death!

1) Playing with Pro Controller is awesome.

2) The level design and Luigi's new physics really make this "DLC" shine.

I'm seriously impressed with what Nintendo has put out here. I might even double dip on the retail release.

chrono01

Damn it, all of you are further convincing me to purchase the digital version in addition to grabbing the retail release in August [already have it pre-ordered].

I wanted to wait, I really did. But...

THIS IS NOT EASY! Yeah, I'll probably succumb to the pressure in a day or two [after I finish The Last of Us]. ~_~

daakusedo

nsmbu and nslu have a thing for 1-2, already liked the pacing of the level in the orginal game and here going through that small gap between the crystal and the blocks before it get widely open is my first feel good moment of the game.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Just grabbed a points card to download this. So far from reading this thread it seems like the time limit kinda sucks, but the level design and difficulty is great. Can't wait to try it out myself, I'm updating NSMBU right now.

Conquered World 8, time to seek out missed coins and secret exits.
1-2 still retaining its dastardly secret exit criteria I see, took me a while to figure out, the solution was like me performing the last resort idea in my book, they could hint at these things a little better.

I'll save full impressions for when i've done EVERYTHING but as it stands this is DLC done right, just enough content to meet the download asking price though the disc release version may seem like a bit much.

Frodo

This is my first ever DLC. First. EVER.

zlCfzRBdwwEIgH1gsB

But feels more like a new game than a DLC to be honest. Main reason why I bought it, apart from the fact that I absolutely love to play NSMB on the multiplayer.

Eric C

I'm really honestly loving the level design in this. The only negative is the 100 second timer, I wish after you beat a level you could go back and explore the levels without such a small time limit.

Do all the secret exits occur in the same levels on the map as NSMBU? If they are, I think I'm overlooking some.

The Star Coins, some of those are really tricky.

So far I'm loving NSLU, probably the best DLC I can think of.

I think 1-2 gets special treatment for its exit due to how early it is in the game and the amount of content it skips, it's the only explanation for such trickery.
But for light hint purposes
once again like its NSMBU counterpart the hidden paths placement feels a bit like another secret within a secret

Sipheren

Banned
Part way through area 2 and this game is kicking my arse. I thought I was ok at Mario games...

zlCfzRBdmisAT6CYUO

That took me a lot of tries...lol

Top Bottom