• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 JP |OT| -

unbenannt-1stogp.png

Title - New Super Mario Bros. 2
Genre - Jump'n Run
Platform - Nintendo 3DS
Japanese Release Date - July 28, 2012
Price - ¥4.800 (retail/eShop download)
Developed by Nintendo EAD (Software Development Group No. 4)
Published by Nintendo

Please be sure to mark spoilers! Don't give away unlockables, bosses, etc.

john tv

Please be sure to mark spoilers! Don't give away unlockables, bosses, etc. :)

I'm currently in world 4, something like 15,000 coins I think? Haven't done too much with Coin Rush yet, just trying to get through the main game with all the star coins. That said, there are probably 3 or 4 levels on the first four worlds that I haven't managed to unlock yet.

Ken

Oh, I saw this for sale in a store on the 27th. Should have picked it up but I got the Taiko 3DS game instead. @_@

Please be sure to mark spoilers! Don't give away unlockables, bosses, etc. :)

I'm currently in world 4, something like 15,000 coins I think? Haven't done too much with Coin Rush yet, just trying to get through the main game with all the star coins. That said, there are probably 3 or 4 levels on the first four worlds that I haven't managed to unlock yet.
I'm currently in world 5 with 24k'ish coins. It's gonna be a loooooooooooooong way -_-...

Yeah, it's really not all that new, betraying the name of the series. Same gameplay, same assets, same music, same physics...

It's high time there were a fresh and original Mario game for once.

Peru

Yeah, it's really not all that new, betraying the name of the series. Same gameplay, same assets, same music, same physics...

It's high time there were a fresh and original Mario game for once.

3D Land?

Also there are new ideas here.. but agree the visual aspect needs an overhaul.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
After beating the first 5 levels, my impressions can be summarized as "yeah, it's a 2D Mario game". Not that I expected anything more, but the coins do nothing for me. Guess I'm just tired of the same old formula.

Augh, so excited for this! Really wish it were a worldwide release. ;-;

The coins angle has me pretty intrigued; I already collect them for no reason, so it's pretty neat to actually have something to aim for now. Even without that, the level design from the gameplay videos looks fantastic as usual, and it'll be nice to have something to quench my Mario thirst until NSMBU comes along. It's tried-and-true Mario, and that's all I really want :D

JoeInky

After beating the first 5 levels, my impressions can be summarized as "yeah, it's a 2D Mario game". Not that I expected anything more, but the coins do nothing for me. Guess I'm just tired of the same old formula.

I just think it's great that they're finally encouraging something other than just completing the level. Speed runs are great fun but because they weren't incentivised people all people did was play the game until they 100%'d it and then just dropped it.

I can see myself playing the score attack mode well after I've finished the main game considering it has online leaderboards and that regional coin counter thing.

Mik2121

I'm at 26,000 coins and still middle of World 3! I'm so lovin' this game!! :)

BTW, one very minor detail I liked... when you change the 3D depth with the 3DS slider, the background goes in and out of focus. Pretty neat detail :)

Peru

It's their cash cow. I'm very happy with the NSMB series being formulaic, while still enjoyable, if it pays for the crazy adventurous 3D entries we've got the past few years. But they probably could update the 2D visual style without losing sales.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Super Mario 3D Land was great, bringing plenty new to the table.

This is the 3rd iteration out of what will soon be 4 virtually identical throwbacks.

Coin Rush is a game-changer (assuming you're the kind of person who actually plays games rather than simply blowing through them until they tell you to stop).

Mik2121

But the Iwata asks made it sound like it has some form of that:

Maybe they just meant the region counter and nothing else.

I suppose streetpass stuff will have to do then.

When you do a streetpass you get a counter of how many coins that other person obtained during one of the Coin Rush games, and you have to beat him. The game has no leaderboards, which sucks :(

Super Mario 3D Land was great, bringing plenty new to the table.

This is the 3rd iteration out of what will soon be 4 virtually identical throwbacks.

I'm happy for this to be the case as long as they're not as bland as NSMB.

Not saying I wouldn't like new stuff as well, but and as long as they're good I'm not saying no to more 3 (or world, as I'm hoping wiiu is more world then 3) style mario games.

Gregorn

From the trailers it looks like they've tried to make it so you can run through the entire level at full speed, and encourages you to do so, like Sonic. Is the game actually like that? Because that would be great.

*マリオしたことがなかったら
そんな人がいないでしょ う 。。。

Hopefully it will feel fairly new, regardless. I'm interested to see if the coin-hoarding focus will be a positive experience.

Wix

From the trailers it looks like they've tried to make it so you can run through the entire level at full speed, and encourages you to do so, like Sonic. Is the game actually like that? Because that would be great.

Only certain levels (assuming you're talking about this)

Gregorn

Only certain levels (assuming you're talking about this)

Yeah, and that golden head thing that gives you coins when you run. The worst levels in Mario are always the ones where you have to stop and wait for something, like most of the castles.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Streetpass only leader boards? Jesus fuck Nintendo grow up already.

Anyway, will be getting this at launch. I've kept myself pretty in the dark about the ins and outs. I'm not overly excited, but Mario games have been consistently enjoyable as of late so I'm down for a new one. Just hope it doesn't fatigue me with too many similarities to NSMB/NSMBWii and the upcoming NSMB Wii U.

Tyeforce

No leaderboards.
StreetPass leaderboards!

EDIT: Beaten, lol. But still yay. I loved Super Mario 3D Land's StreetPass record swapping. This will be no different. It's fun to try and be the top player in your area. At least that's a much more achievable goal than trying to be the top among all players online. Plus there's a certain sense of satisfaction you get from beating records of people around you that online leaderboards can't replicate, at least to me. I have no motivation to even try for online leaderboards because there will always be crazy, insanely good people at the top, that's never going to change.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so, so bloody excited for this game! Looks good and you can unlock levels with coins? I'm going to rape this game proper

I don't think NSMBU will suffer of formula fatigue, it already looks fresh enough

do coins actually stop at one million? Can you collect more if you want?

GCX

Just hope it doesn't fatigue me with too many similarities to NSMB/NSMBWii and the upcoming NSMB Wii U.
The game was made by a different team than NSMB/NSMBW/NSMBWU and most people who worked on it are new to Mario platformers. That should result some interesting level design.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
What Cheese said, it's a new game and it has some new ideas but it looks, sounds, plays exactly the same. That's a good thing but it's going to get old, maybe it has for some people already.

Glass Joe

Streetpass only leader boards? Jesus fuck Nintendo grow up already.

Anyway, will be getting this at launch. I've kept myself pretty in the dark about the ins and outs. I'm not overly excited, but Mario games have been consistently enjoyable as of late so I'm down for a new one. Just hope it doesn't fatigue me with too many similarities to NSMB/NSMBWii and the upcoming NSMB Wii U.

It's been long enough (3 years) where I'm sure I'll very much enjoy NSMB 2. However it will be interesting to see if we feel fatigued regarding NSMB U a few months later, since that's so soon after. Apparently they expect us to play 2 for quite a while, especially with download content, so U will have to show more than HD to really get me excited and think "again already?"

daakusedo

I'm sure that at least three months between the two marios will even be a long time for some people cause the formula is so simple that's hard to get bored.
But the problem is more that there are high chances after that we won't see a 2d mario before next gen, we don't even know if the wiiu game will have new download levels given that's just for coin rush in nsmb2.
So they better be great to stand for many years.

Talking about nsmb2, with the recent videos like 1-A, I'm eager to see the whole package.

JoeInky

What Cheese said, it's a new game and it has some new ideas but it looks, sounds, plays exactly the same. That's a good thing but it's going to get old, maybe it has for some people already.

I think the market would have to be saturated with platformers for it to start to feel old.

I'm very interested in seeing how NSMB2 and NSMBU perform, though, considering how close they are together.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's been long enough (3 years) where I'm sure I'll very much enjoy NSMB 2. However it will be interesting to see if we feel fatigued regarding NSMB U a few months later, since that's so soon after. Apparently they expect us to play 2 for quite a while, especially with download content, so U will have to show more than HD to really get me excited and think "again already?"

That's true. I guess I'm more worried about being burnt out on NSMB Wii U.

The game was made by a different team than NSMB/NSMBW/NSMBWU and most people who worked on it are new to Mario platformers. That should result some interesting level design.

This too is true.

Shiggy

Even though the NSMB games tend to become boring as there are always the same worlds appearing, they are still fun due to their level design. That the levels are rather short, is also helpful.

I'm just thinking of Rayman Origins, which had awesome visuals but lacked interesting level design and responsive controls. I'd much rather take another NSMB over that, but it's no longer a system seller for me.

StreetPass leaderboards!

EDIT: Beaten, lol. But still yay. I loved Super Mario 3D Land's StreetPass record swapping. This will be no different. It's fun to try and be the top player in your area. At least that's a much more achievable goal than trying to be the top among all players online. Plus there's a certain sense of satisfaction you get from beating records of people around you that online leaderboards can't replicate, at least to me. I have no motivation to even try for online leaderboards because there will always be crazy, insanely good people at the top, that's never going to change.
That may work in regions where 3DS is popular but even though I live in a large city in Germany I don't get a whole lot of streetpasses in order to make this interesting. Online leaderboards are not always about being on top too, you can still have friends' leaderboards, etc. Heck, even some Nintendo games implement this.

Nintendo is just too Japan focused with a lot of their approaches.

Top Bottom