• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 JP |OT| -

Fularu

Banned
You're being sarcastic, right? Valve's let me reinstall my physical copy of Orange Box and given me the choice to download them on a number of different PC's.

Are you comparing the installation of a game tied to a single key (and thus, to a single user) with no possible way to "resell" it to the installation of a physical cartridge on your system?

This has to be one of the stupidest comparaison I've read on the gaming side this year.

Honestly, even in Japan, it doesn't work so great everywhere. I almost never get streetpasses in my town, and I get one or two occasionally when I ride a train to the capital of my prefecture. Most of my streetpasses come from visits I've made to Osaka and Nagoya.
OK, this makes it even more baffling.

watershed

Banned
Right, I can appreciate that. Any significant use of the 3D or gyro? I'm asking purely from a business point of view. It will be interesting to see if this game drives 3DS sales significantly.

Are you suggesting that releasing NSMB2 multiplat on 3ds and ds would be a better business decision than keeping it exclusive to the 3ds? Ignoring that the game can't run on the ds, the NSMB series is a system seller and the 3ds hardware is still selling slowly outside of Japan. Clearly Nintendo hopes NSMB2 will drive up hardware sales and releasing it on the ds also would seriously hamper that effort.

Nisa65

P1010261.jpg

Got mine today. Only played through the first few stages but I like what I've played so far. Level design seems a fair bit more interesting than what was on offer in the DS version.

Playing the game in 3D has been rather pointless thus far though which I guess is to be expected with a 2D platformer.

good thing there's such a thing as 'regional leaderboards' and 'friend leaderboards' and all other sort of leaderboards which can help your gaming ego in this regard, instead of just Nintendo being shitty at everything online as always

I swear it's like they hate the very concept of competition sometimes.

HyperHip

Just hit World 6 so I think I've had a decent amount of time with the game. I can say without a doubt that this has felt more like an expansion than a legit sequel. The fact that the music is so similar to previous entries aren't helping the fact either. Aside from that there are some really cool levels and it's definitely a step up in difficulty compared to the snorefest that NSMB was.

Mik2121

Just in case someone still doesn't know...

There's no such thing as leaderboards, neither global nor regional nor for friends. The only thing close to that is if you go to the StreetPass tab inside the Coin Rush mode, you get the latest 15 people you streetpassed and they show up there with their high score in whatever mode it is, but it doesn't say what levels (they're random) and they disappear as soon as you streetpass another 15 people, unless you set them as a favorite.

watershed

Banned

There's no such thing as leaderboards, neither global nor regional nor for friends. The only thing close to that is if you go to the StreetPass tab inside the Coin Rush mode, you get the latest 15 people you streetpassed and they show up there with their high score in whatever mode it is, but it doesn't say what levels (they're random) and they disappear as soon as you streetpass another 15 people, unless you set them as a favorite.

That sucks. The Iwata Asks clearly mentions regional coin totals, not leaderboards, so maybe there will be an update once the game is released world wide.

Mik2121

That sucks. The Iwata Asks clearly mentions regional coin totals, not leaderboards, so maybe there will be an update once the game is released world wide.

That's another thing I wanna know... because right now there's no regional coin totals counter nor anything like that. Just your personal counter (I'm at 32k right now)

watershed

Banned
That's another thing I wanna know... because right now there's no regional coin totals counter nor anything like that. Just your personal counter (I'm at 32k right now)

First paid dlc incoming, global and regional coin totals and leaderboards. Price? $5.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

......... :-/

Which comment? The stuff in the Iwata Asks interview was in reference to the collective coin totals for each region; there are no explicit individual leaderboards as such.

Yeah that one: 'you can see if your region is the best!' or however he phrased it.
It really sounded as if he were referring to some sort of cumulative total per region, a la leader boards, especially as Spotpass (and not Streetpass) was mentioned.
It made even more sense seeing the way Mario Kart uses Spotpass too.
Disappointing.

Seeing the coin totals mentioned, it makes me wonder whether one million will even be achievable for most.
Perhaps you get a double/triple total bonus when you complete the game or something...???

JoeInky

It made even more sense seeing the way Mario Kart uses Spotpass too.
Disappointing.

Yeah, communities would work fucking great in this. It's silly that they didn't think to implement it when they have DLC - that's a more advanced network feature than simple leaderboards and communities really.

Shiggy

What? Origins is "level design: the game"...

Yeah, level design for people who like to sleep while playing. Limbo might be a better alternative though.

Mario just gets everything right apart from the visuals. Smooth and responsive controls, a working collision detection, no clipping errors*, and challenging and not too long levels. I don't know if it's just me, but I don't remember Mario games relying too much on trial-and-error level solving, whereas Rayman had special levels solely dedicated to this gameplay idea. Most interestinly, I found those levels to be the best of Rayman Origins as they weren't as slow as the regular levels.
Of course, for people only playing PS3/360 games Rayman origins must have been overwhelming, but at least here on NeoGAF many seem to think that it's just an average platformer compared to other Wii platformers.

*those might've been only in the Wii version of Rayman Origins.

If I wanted to be mean, Mario games even have a better story than Rayman Origins.

Portugeezer

I am not hyped for this cash in, but I still want it. No point waiting for Nintendo games to get cheaper, maybe I will buy it used instead.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This news about no 'leaderboards' of any kind is a bit shocking after what was directly stated in the Iwata Asks... though I'm seeing screenshots online showing that you have to turn on Spottpass in the game's option men. Is that related to getting something to show up in the game?

I am not hyped for this cash in, but I still want it. No point waiting for Nintendo games to get cheaper, maybe I will buy it used instead.

It's a good thing Nintendo's version of a 'cash in' is better made than most developers' hyped up 'innovative' games.

I swear, the 'cash in' meme with this game is getting silly, considering how much people devour Mario Kart each time... which always looks the same, plays the same, and just adds a few new courses.

Mik2121

This news about no 'leaderboards' of any kind is a bit shocking after what was directly stated in the Iwata Asks... though I'm seeing screenshots online showing that you have to turn on Spottpass in the game's option men. Is that related to getting something to show up in the game?

When you start playing there's only single and multiplayer modes. After finishing the first world (I think) you unlock Coin Rush mode, and there you can have the StreetPass thing turned on. But other than there there's, at least right now, nothing else turned on.

Maybe in 3 weeks whenever the game gets released elsewhere, they unlock something else via software update, but at least right now there's absolutely nothing.

Or maybe you get the global counters when you get 1mil coins in-game?... Dunno...

JoeInky

Maybe in 3 weeks whenever the game gets released elsewhere, they unlock something else via software update, but at least right now there's absolutely nothing.

This makes a lot of sense actually, no point giving Japan a 3 week headstart on the coin counter thing. I'm pretty confident we'll be seeing it as an update around the release in the other regions or soon after then.

Mik2121

This makes a lot of sense actually, no point giving Japan a 3 week headstart on the coin counter thing. I'm pretty confident we'll be seeing it as an update around the release in the other regions or soon after then.

Which kind of sucks because that means A LOT of people with the Japanese copy will be already bored and not going to unlock so many coins.. or.. if they just add up your total coins, then it means nothing because that means I already have a head start of 36k coins...

Portugeezer

It's a good thing Nintendo's version of a 'cash in' is better made than most developers' hyped up 'innovative' games.

I swear, the 'cash in' meme with this game is getting silly, considering how much people devour Mario Kart each time... which always looks the same, plays the same, and just adds a few new courses.

I don't doubt it will be a good game. But I expect the highest quality from Nintendo, this game looks lazy, graphically and gameplay wise, these levels are easy for Nintendo to make, they are the masters of this.

Nintendo are just trying to get 1 million coins.

King_Moc

Banned
When you do a streetpass you get a counter of how many coins that other person obtained during one of the Coin Rush games, and you have to beat him. The game has no leaderboards, which sucks :(

Nintendo have been using these kinds of streetpass features as a plus, yet they are clearly making the game worse for people who are into high scores. Why not give you a full leaderboard when this stuff is all tracked?

RagnarokX

I don't doubt it will be a good game. But I expect the highest quality from Nintendo, this game looks lazy, graphically and gameplay wise, these levels are easy for Nintendo to make, they are the masters of this.

Nintendo are just trying to get 1 million coins.

If it's so easy, then why is NSMB one of the worst 2D Mario games and NSMBW one of if not the best 2D Mario games? Level design.

I never felt the aesthetic of the NSMB games, dunno why but it just doesn't click with me. I guess it's the 3D models in a 2D environment.

3D land fares a little better for me because that style approaches Sunshine and Galaxy more.

Then again I'm still hoping Nintendo would someday return to "pure" 2D spritework, but they probably won't. I would also be very interested to see a Mario game in the style of Wariolnd Shake It!/Rayman Orgins or something similar.

Just beat the game with a little over 18k coins. The first two worlds left a good impression on me, but things started feeling incredibly samey afterwards. At the end of the day, it's still a Mario platformer, and it's still enjoyable, but it doesn't really add much to the 2D Mario formula. Coin rush is kind of fun, though. If Nintendo prices the DLC levels for Coin Rush right, I think I'd bite.

I think 3D Land is the better overall Mario experience, though.

I can't believe there are no leaderboards in this game at all. First they copy and paste the music from the other two. All the assets look ripped from the other two games, and now there are no leaderboards. How long did it take them to make this because it seems more like a rom hack than an actual sequel. People harped on Super Mario Galaxy 2 for being just a map pack, but that game just oozed quality from the high quality new music, and all kinds of different features. Not to mention most of the levels I've seen look easy as hell. Luckily New Super Mario Bros U looks like a real sequel I wanted after NSMBW.

MisterHero

This Super Mario Bros. (tm) game is a relentless and gnashing commentary on level design revolving around collecting trinkets. It was fun once-upon-a-time (Yoshi's Island), but now you, as well as your enemies, are forced into an endless grind for material gains.

The game world has given you everything but none of the advantages of actually having everything! You have billions of gold coins, but they're on the floor and in the sky, and you still have to retrieve them yourself.

I can't wait to fly again.

StayDead

I can't believe there are no leaderboards in this game at all. First they copy and paste the music from the other two. All the assets look ripped from the other two games, and now there are no leaderboards. How long did it take them to make this because it seems more like a rom hack than an actual sequel. People harped on Super Mario Galaxy 2 for being just a map pack, but that game just oozed quality from the high quality new music, and all kinds of different features. Not to mention most of the levels I've seen look easy as hell. Luckily New Super Mario Bros U looks like a real sequel I wanted after NSMBW.

Why would their leaderboards be there on the first day? They'll probably be patched in when the other regions get their copy so one region doesn't get a clear massive advantage.

isn't that the opposite of what he was saying?

He does not in this particular case, but it's the general line of thinking I find ridiculous. I only care about the end result being good or not. Whether it was "easy" for the designers to make the levels or not shouldn't be a concern.

Ragus

Banned
Just beat the game with a little over 18k coins. The first two worlds left a good impression on me, but things started feeling incredibly samey afterwards. At the end of the day, it's still a Mario platformer, and it's still enjoyable, but it doesn't really add much to the 2D Mario formula. Coin rush is kind of fun, though. If Nintendo prices the DLC levels for Coin Rush right, I think I'd bite.

I think 3D Land is the better overall Mario experience, though.

Can you tell us how much did it take you to complete it?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
From the trailers it looks like they've tried to make it so you can run through the entire level at full speed, and encourages you to do so, like Sonic. Is the game actually like that? Because that would be great.
These are the best levels. They did it with games like DKCR and even some of 3DLand, hope they have enough of these type of levels ready. I think even the first one on DS had some good speedrun levels

Can you tell us how much did it take you to complete it?

Well, disregarding the side stuff like Coin Rush, about 5-6 hours, I think? To be fair, I kinda rushed through the main game
and didn't bother with the three extra worlds yet,
so I still have some stuff to do.

zroid

Banned
He does not in this particular case, but it's the general line of thinking I find ridiculous. I only care about the end result being good or not. Whether it was "easy" for the designers to make the levels or not shouldn't be a concern.

Oh, ok. I agree with you, but I think there is a point to be made here nonetheless. While I don't necessarily believe this to be the case in NSMB2, the hallmark of superior platforming level design comes from surprise and exceeding expectation. If Nintendo were resting on the laurels of their talent and delivering stages that are merely "good enough" -- that shouldn't be good enough.

I know it's a tall order to surpass your previous effort with every iteration, but they should strive for this anyway.

Is coop for the singleplayer campaign or is it just a level select ala versus in the old?

You can play co-op for all levels

Anth0ny

I swear it's like they hate the very concept of competition sometimes.

Well, I'm sure that people hitting ranks one through 10, were there such a ranking system, would be incredibly pleased with it and having a lot of fun. But, you know, it's not fun for everybody involved per se if such a system were to exist.

-Nintendo on leader boards

The lack of Friend leaderboards is kind of strange. Can see why Nintendo might not be interested in overall leaderboards, but they should at least have it for people who are friends...

Game doesn't look nearly as interesting as the WiiU game, just going to wait for that.

Top Bottom