• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

Netto-kun

Finished all the courses and found all the coins. I still need to work on getting 5th star on the save file
(get 1110 lives)
and those one million coins.

that's a new one

Based on my experiences in NSMBW and SM3DL, I will usually give each level about 3 tries to get all the star coins. Failing that, I move on. Then I'll probably come back and tie up the loose ends in post-game.
I mean do you hear it! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0jC7MGb6UY&sns=em

The music has really grown on me I love it. I know what gaf will say but im not one to jump on those trend hatewagons.

Finished the final final world. Game is OK. It's never exciting but I died a few times and there's plenty of shit to do. It's just a new New Super Mario Bros game.

Fuck anybody that claims the music isn't god awful though :(

It's a nice little game. Good mindless and stress-relieving fun when you listen to all those little sound fx and etc. As again people are doing a mistake excepting a platformer to be some kind of Jesus game. Wtf? It's just a platformer with well known characters...

Only grief is that the eShop price is 39.99 pounds. I think 29.99 at max would have been more like it.

JoeInky

That score is ridiculous. I thought I was doing it big with my just under 5000!

Prepare to be blown away.

coin%20rush%202.png

Screw anyone who says that this game isn't challenging, try playing the same 3 levels continuously for an hour and a half so you can get a great score - that's where the challenge is in this game.

And this is just on the piss-easy mushroom pack levels, haven't bothered with the other 2 packs yet.

JKTrix

I have $38 on my 3DS right now, and can only pay for digital games using prepaid cards due to my region.

Maximuscards just sold out of 3DS cards after I bought one. Sure sucks being just $2 short.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Loving this game so far, every time I turn into Gold Mario endorphins just batter my brain and I have a smile on my face, I love that feature, I wasn't sure I would enjoy the whole "collect a million coins' concept but I think it's really put a different spin on the a franchise that hasn't changed much over the years, I find myself playing the game differently to other Mario games.

JoeInky

Can you describe a bit how you got that score?

I'll go into a bit of detail if you want.

My levels were 2-4 > 1-5 > 1 - Castle.

Getting 2-4 right gave me the most trouble, there's lots of tricks you have to do and then on top of that I just couldn't get to the top of the flagpole to double my score, but this is what I did:

The moment the level starts, run right, short jump over the goomba and hit the roulette block as early as possible. If you didn't stop and timed it right you'll get a gold flower.

turn right and shoot the block, slide under it to get a star, keep moving up hitting as many enemies as you can whilst hitting all the blocks containing stars along the way (if you hit them whilst you're not invincible, a star won't appear) and keep moving through the stage.

After the halfway point, keep going right whilst incinvible and you should see a yellow pipe, before you go in it kill all the enemies above you making sure to keep getting stars, when you've killed them get into the yellow pipe as fast as possible. Whilst you're coming out of it, hold left so you hit the wall and wall jump to the gold ring, Now you just need to capitalise on your invincibility by hitting as many goombas as possible, they'll be worth 100 coins a piece if you have the invincibility combo at max with the gold ring activated.

When it runs out just continue to hit goombas with the gold flower until the timer hits the 40 second mark, get down on the platform that moves downwards to the second star coin, get the coin block to give you 50 coins, get the star coin and then go up the pipe.

Then you just continue the level as normal remembering to get the third star coin and get a triple jump to the top of the flag pole.

It gets you around 1800 coins, which gives you 3600 if you get to the top of the flag.

Then I just used my reserve gold flower you get for beating the game in 1-5 hitting as many cheep cheeps as possible, but played the level normally otherwise.

The same with 1-castle, just remember to get a tanooki leaf before the boss door and run backwards through the level then fly up above the giant thwomp for lots of coins.

If you get the flagpole on the second level you'll end up with around 8000 and then beating the boss will double that and take it to around 16k.

62 of those runs and you'll have reached the one million mark haha.

Prepare to be blown away.

coin%20rush%202.png

Screw anyone who says that this game isn't challenging, try playing the same 3 levels continuously for an hour and a half so you can get a great score - that's where the challenge is in this game.

And this is just on the piss-easy mushroom pack levels, haven't bothered with the other 2 packs yet.
This is mine on the mushroom level pack:

exqqa.png

JoeInky

This is mine on the mushroom level pack:

exqqa.png

god DAYUMN

I fucking saw your old score in the jap OT, and all while GAF was down I couldn't wait to show off and there you go and steal my thunder after 5 minutes.

Time to spend more time playing coin rush to Rocky music.

god DAYUMN

I fucking saw your old score in the jap OT, and all while GAF was down I couldn't wait to show off and there you go and steal my thunder after 5 minutes.

Time to spend more time in coin rush.
Game is fun, isn't it :) ? I'm sure you can do better than me at that rate lol.

It's hella fun, I can see coin rush making me spend more time on this than any other mario game before it.
Same here. When it was first announced I was like "Seriously, that's it now?", but because of the coin rush mode I still didn't finish the actual game, which I started three weeks ago. Still sitting at the end of world 5 lol.

JoeInky

Same here. When it was first announced I was like "Seriously, that's it now?", but because of the coin rush mode I still didn't finish the actual game, which I started three weeks ago. Still sitting at the end of world 5 lol.

You mean you haven't beaten world 6, which gives you a gold flower in reserve every time you start coin rush? and you still almost doubled my score?

I hate you so much.

daakusedo

Ok, I didn't notice the coins multiplier with the star combo and I didn't finish the game for the gold flower. And then a new score of 24000 without it, things are out of control.
I have an interesting setup right now, gold boat level, the lakitu one and castle 5, lost it in the castle but will retry, probably can get more than 10000 coins.

JoeInky

Looking forward to the regional coin counters, going to be crazy seeing how many coins japan have, got to be atleast about 1000m by now.

ThankeeSai

You guys who complete the game first then go back for star coins are crazy!
I just can't allow myself to do that.
If I don't have the three coins I play the level over and over until I get them and then I move on. If I try to move on, the fact some are missing just nags at me and I'm forced to go back :lol.
I like it this way though because it means the last level truly is the last level.
I'm only at the end of World 3 but my repeats / backtracking for star coins / secret exits means I'm currently at 80,000 coins.

Or go through a pipe or door first. They should've just had it that you hit Select.

See, I tried that way of playing with nsmb Wii and the Rayman Origins lum count, but I found myself getting so frustrated at doing the same bits over and over that I eventually stopped playing. Not making the same mistake this time.

Really must get around to finishing nsmb Wii and Rayman, too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Beat world 6 ha ha!

But I did rush through it so I have a lot of coins to find and money to grind.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
See, I tried that way of playing with nsmb Wii and the Rayman Origins lum count, but I found myself getting so frustrated at doing the same bits over and over that I eventually stopped playing. Not making the same mistake this time.

Really must get around to finishing nsmb Wii and Rayman, too.

Yeah, I played NSMB that way and didn't like it, so since then I just grab what ones I can on the first run through and come back later. I think its more fun that way, you have an actual reason to revisit old levels.

And the thing about the lums in Rayman Origins is that they have a sell-by date. They aren't attached to any score or 1ups or anything like that, they are specifically made for that one goal of collecting a shitload of them by levels end. Once you done that, there's really no reason to ever reach out for them again.

BooJoh

My Amazon order just shipped. I was bummed that the estimated delivery date was Wednesday since the game releases on a Sunday, but now it says it'll arrive Monday, so that's not so bad.

JoeInky

A solid 5 hours of coin rush and I still can't touch your score, mailenstein.

Tell me your secrets.

Going to call it quits for a bit, my thumbs don't feel so good.

DjRoomba

Banned
Yeah, I played NSMB that way and didn't like it, so since then I just grab what ones I can on the first run through and come back later. I think its more fun that way, you have an actual reason to revisit old levels.

Im the opposite. Fa some reason I enjoy the game more at a slower pace, collecting all the important collectibles before i move on. I played the Uncharteds the same way, where I had to search all nooks and crannies for treasures before moving on. Tried playing again on my 2nd/hard playthrough with all the treasures already saved and i found myself enjoying the game alot less, till I started again with treasures reset.

Drago

Yeah I know what the reward is, I'm still going for a million anyway because it's fun. (and surprisingly easy to get towards once you start coin rush).
Yeah, I'll be at a million eventually too because I'm sure I'll get addicted to coin rush :p

Kouriozan

I don't know for you but Coin rush is so addicting :p
I always try to beat my record, each time I do a level I finish it with more coins than before.

Top Bottom