• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

Pineconn

Do the 'rehash' claims centre on the fact that it's simply another Mario game only?
I ask as within the game are new ideas, designs, enemies, items and gameplay focus alongside a host of other new things such as Coin Rush and handheld co-op for the first time.
There are also numerous improvements such as a tighter controlling and better animated Mario for one.
The only thing truly rehashed is the music and even that is riddled with subtle changes.

I think the criticisms have been way overblown here.

Pineconn

Do the 'rehash' claims centre on the fact that it's simply another Mario game only?
I ask as within the game are new ideas, designs, enemies, items and gameplay focus alongside a host of other new things such as Coin Rush and handheld co-op for the first time.
There are also numerous improvements such as a tighter controlling and better animated Mario for one.
The only thing truly rehashed is the music and even that is riddled with subtle changes.

Anyone who berates Mario or Nintendo games in general for "rehashing" better damn well do the same for Madden, FIFA, etc. Only, they practically are the same game re-released yearly with minimal improvements. At the very least Call of Duty has a fresh campaign and new multiplayer mechanics every time.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

The thing you'll find about NSMB criticisms, is that before people could fairly claim Nintendo was "milking it", these were the precise same reactions the moment NSMB Wii was unveiled. Despite the fact that Nintendo had, as a matter of course, always made at least one portable, and one console, version of many of their games each generation - like how Mario Kart is handled.

I always felt what really irked people about NSMB is that they wanted a game that looked like Super Mario World; that's pretty much it. Preferences are fine, we all have them. But overblowing how 'cheap' or 'cash in' the games were, was there from day 1.

RM8

I really want to avoid anything about this game, but I've seen some reviews. And man, I want it. But, UGH, I don't want to "burn" 2D Mario and I want NSMBU to be the only 2D Mario I play this year.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
And yet, there is still just one NSMB game per system. Not exactly yearly Ass Creed or Madden territory here.

abasm

And yet, there is still just one NSMB game per system. Not exactly yearly Ass Creed or Madden territory here.

One Mario Kart per platform.
One Smash Bros per home console.
At least one Fire Emblem per console.
One Animal Crossing, etc, etc.

NSMB is only considered annualized because the franchise was launched in the middle of the last generation, pushing the new games in closer proximity.

Drago

Do we know when exactly NSMB2 will go up on the eShop (time zones)?

I assume it's Pacific time, but I'd love for it to be Eastern :)

schlew

Just for confirmation, NSMB2 did not receive the midnight download treatment, correct? It went up for sale later on in the day it was released, I think I heard around noon.

Anyone who berates Mario or Nintendo games in general for "rehashing" better damn well do the same for Madden, FIFA, etc. Only, they practically are the same game re-released yearly with minimal improvements. At the very least Call of Duty has a fresh campaign and new multiplayer mechanics every time.

Crazy thing is that other franchises which people don't seem to mind constant refreshes of are worse games than any/all of the Mario games. Truly bizarre.

The thing you'll find about NSMB criticisms, is that before people could fairly claim Nintendo was "milking it", these were the precise same reactions the moment NSMB Wii was unveiled. Despite the fact that Nintendo had, as a matter of course, always made at least one portable, and one console, version of many of their games each generation - like how Mario Kart is handled.

I always felt what really irked people about NSMB is that they wanted a game that looked like Super Mario World; that's pretty much it. Preferences are fine, we all have them. But overblowing how 'cheap' or 'cash in' the games were, was there from day 1.

Beyond the aesthetics, as there is no denying the similarities of each NSMB games visual design, lies the fact that each NSMB game feels like a new game.
It was shocking how different NSMB felt after I had played NSMBW and I'm sure the same will likely be said of NSMBW once I've throughly gone through NSMB2 too.
Nobody seems to acknowledge that within this 'greatly rehashed' series that the three entires we've had spread across six years each offer unique leaps over their predecessor.
These are all conveniently ignored because, as you say, these games look neither like Mario World nor how people might imagine they'd like them to look and so of course Nintendo laziness is at fault.

Drago

Just for confirmation, NSMB2 did not receive the midnight download treatment, correct? It went up for sale later on in the day it was released, I think I heard around noon.
It will be up at midnight in NA

No one knows which time zone it is though

Captain N

Yeah, I believe thats how it was in Japan, but the eShop seems to say Midnight! So hopefully Midnight.

It will be up at midnight in NA

No one knows which time zone it is though

The real bummer of it is since it says Midnight. It better not mean Midnight on the west coast. I live on the east coast and would hate for the store to be lying to me. ha

Meikiyou

I'm more worried about the pricing than the time zone... I wonder if it'll be like UK, more expensive than the retail version

Yeah, I believe thats how it was in Japan, but the eShop seems to say Midnight! So hopefully Midnight.

The real bummer of it is since it says Midnight. It better not mean Midnight on the west coast. I live on the east coast and would hate for the store to be lying to me. ha

It's almost certainly West Coast, Nintendo always goes by west coast times in their press releases I think.

Meikiyou

Brazilian eShop says midnight too.. and it's 23:53 here

But i doubt they'd launch it here first... probably its gonna 3AM together with US :(

Are the
crow
enemies in 6-4 new? Or am I just forgetting them?
I remember them mostly from NSMBWii. They were a little annoying at some parts.

I'm more worried about the pricing than the time zone... I wonder if it'll be like UK, more expensive than the retail version
Yeah, I was wondering that, too. The download can wait, but I hope the reason they took the price down a while ago wasn't because it was actually $45 or something.

Haven't seen it posted, Totilo's review courtesy of The New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/18/a...ros-2-for-the-nintendo-3ds.html?smid=pl-share
He praises Nintendo for continuing to make Mario platformers more about the dynamics of play than about narratives, characters, or other ancillary elements. It's pretty positive.
Hmm, nice review. Haven't heard about Totilo, but he seems like a good reviewer. I hope he keeps that way.

It's borderline sad how much Nintendo is trying to strictly promote the downloadable version of this game. From the double coins Club Nintendo promotion, to the redesigning of the e-shop, as well as the Spot Pass letters from Nintendo sent to my 3DS that say "Buy it on the e-shop so you can play it first at midnight!!" Or, you know, we can pick it up at Wal-Mart at midnight like the old days....but Nintendo won't remind you about that. Screw you Nintendo, I'm picking up my copy IN STORE tomorrow in protest to the non-discounted digital future.

It's borderline sad how much Nintendo is trying to strictly promote the downloadable version of this game. From the double coins Club Nintendo promotion, to the redesigning of the e-shop, as well as the Spot Pass letters from Nintendo sent to my 3DS that say "Buy it on the e-shop so you can play it first at midnight!!" Or, you know, we can pick it up at Wal-Mart at midnight like the old days....but Nintendo won't remind you about that. Screw you Nintendo, I'm picking up my copy IN STORE tomorrow in protest to the non-discounted digital future.

Yea it is kinda insane especially since its Nintendo. It just seems wierd that Nintendo is doing this for a downloadable game.

Fifteen more minutes! I AM EXCITE! It better come out midnight eastern. If it was pacific then they would've said it was surely since they do for the weekly updates, the eShop's opening (lol at the delays for that tho) and the check mii out channel.

So since they didn't specify pacific it has to be eastern it has to be.

Ninty pls.

Tim-E

Nintendo gets 100% of the revenue brought in from an eShop sale and this is their first major digital release. Why are you surprised they are pushing it?

I understand, but considering the fact that the 3DS has such wonderful region protection, it will make it easier for me. I have an NA 3DS but I'm outside of NA at the moment, so getting games can be costly + annoying. For that reason I'm kind of excited about downloading full 3DS games.

I don't get why everyone thinks the digital version should be discounted. Steam games aren't discounted, retail games on PSN and XBL Games on Demand aren't discounted.

Tim-E

I don't get why everyone thinks the digital version should be discounted. Steam games aren't discounted, retail games on PSN and XBL Games on Demand aren't discounted.

Yep. There is no industry-wide precedence for cheaper digital games, yet people think it should be expected.

Trevelyan

Banned

Sony discounts all their first party Vita offerings. Honestly, why shouldn't it be discounted? You're cutting substantial costs by not having the physical media, shipping it, and giving a cut to 3rd party retailers. Even take off just $5 would be nice, and they would still make a killing off it compared to selling a physical version.

Either, think I'll be picking up my copy tomorrow morning.. just need to decide if I want a 3rd 3DS in the XL, haha.

Nintendo gets 100% of the revenue brought in from an eShop sale and this is their first major digital release. Why are you surprised they are pushing it?

I'm not surprised, just saddened. It's a shameless promotion, but definitely warranted due to the lack of any revenue going to a retailer. Nintendo and other publishers would love nothing more than having an all Digital Distribution future. 100% of profits + price control. I just don't want to see Nintendo succeed at this given their vocal history of opposing discounting older games.

iTyo6JWoVsIUv.gif

Top Bottom