• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

A solid 5 hours of coin rush and I still can't touch your score, mailenstein.

Tell me your secrets.

Going to call it quits for a bit, my thumbs don't feel so good.
I saw you talking about 2-4 before. That's a good start. Get the golden flower and don't care about anything around you. No stars, no star coins and no enemies. All you need to do is to get into the yellow pipe and use some "jumping combo skills" over and over again until you have around 10-15 seconds left ;).

JoeInky

I saw you talking about 2-4 before. That's a good start. Get the golden flower and don't care about anything around you. No stars, no star coins and no enemies. All you need to do is to get into the yellow pipe and use some "jumping combo skills" over and over again until you have around 10-15 seconds left ;).

I fucking knew 2-4 was the key.

So pissed off now because I had a fucking amazing mushroom pack earlier that I spent 5 hours on before giving up (never thought to just do jump combos).

2-4 > mushroom - 3 > 2 - castle

guaranteed gold flower on each, mushroom - 3 has shit loads of coins and 1 ups and 2 - castle has like, 4 1-ups and loads of fireballs you can hit with one gold fireball.

god damn.

I fucking knew 2-4 was the key.

So pissed off now because I had a fucking amazing mushroom pack earlier that I spent 5 hours on before giving up (never thought to just do jump combos).

2-4 > mushroom - 3 > 2 - castle

guaranteed gold flower on each, mushroom - 3 has shit loads of coins and 1 ups and 2 - castle has like, 4 1-ups and loads of fireballs you can hit with one gold fireball.

god damn.
Did you save one of those runs with that pack as your streetpass highscore? If so, you can go back there if you challange your own highscore. I had 3000+ coins in 2-4 before, during the second level I had 7000+, but fucked up the pole jump. Could have been 14000 coins and probably hitting 30000 in the end. Was kinda pissed lol. All I wanna say is, that 24k isn't that much. I guess 34000 is quite possible with the right plan and skill.

JoeInky

Did you save one of those runs with that pack as your streetpass highscore? If so, you can go back there if you challange your own highscore. I had 3000+ coins in 2-4 before, during the second level I had 7000+, but fucked up the pole jump. Could have been 14000 coins and probably hitting 30000 in the end. Was kinda pissed lol. All I wanna say is, that 24k isn't that much. I guess 34000 is quite possible with the right plan and skill.

I did not know that, I didn't want to overwrite my highest score so I never saved that pack.
My current highscore has a really shit second level (the water level from world 1) so I'm not even going to bother with it.

I did not know that, I didn't want to overwrite my highest score so I never saved that pack.
My current highscore has a really shit second level (the water level from world 1) so I'm not even going to bother with it.
I didn't know that too, so I always just closed my 3DS during coin rush mode and never turned the system off, because I was scared about losing that pack lol. Found out later more or less accidentally heh..

Theorymon

So on the 3DS E-Shop, I see claims that New Super Mario Bros 2 will come out at midnight tonight. As a rabid Mario fan who wants the game ASAP, I want to know, what timezone do they mean by midnight? Do they mean Midnight for all time zones, or just one specific one? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I've never been excited enough to want to download a game the moment its available on the 3DS before!

JoeInky

I didn't know that too, so I always just closed my 3DS during coin rush mode and never turned the system off, because I was scared about losing that pack lol. Found out later more or less accidentally heh..

Yeah that's what I was doing, but I wanted to check my activity log to see how long I'd been playing it..

Anyway, got a pack that starts with 2-4, don't know what the rest are yet but how the hell do you get combo jumps on those goombas? They don't respawn fast enough.

NVM I got it, I thought you meant you could continuously jump on them without landing until the timer gets to 15.

Going to see if I can combine it with my previous strategy for maximum coinage.

branny

So on the 3DS E-Shop, I see claims that New Super Mario Bros 2 will come out at midnight tonight. As a rabid Mario fan who wants the game ASAP, I want to know, what timezone do they mean by midnight? Do they mean Midnight for all time zones, or just one specific one? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I've never been excited enough to want to download a game the moment its available on the 3DS before!
It might be best to prepare for it to be midnight Pacific.

If I were getting the game that way, though, I'd actually be more worried about the eShop being able to handle everyone without problems. =\

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Probably due to younger self listening to a lot of Midi files but I don't mind the voices. In fact the
arrangement of the NSMBWii credits tune
is even funkier.

Yeah that's what I was doing, but I wanted to check my activity log to see how long I'd been playing it..

Anyway, got a pack that starts with 2-4, don't know what the rest are yet but how the hell do you get combo jumps on those goombas? They don't respawn fast enough.
It's pretty simple:

- get down the yellow pipe and shoot one fireball which kills the first goomba and the gold block (the block is kinda annoying me but this way you will also get more coins with the first combo jumps aswell)

- just wait under the pipe and wait until the first goomba is in front of you and I mean very close to you

- now jump on the first goomba to get 5c, 10c on the second, 15c, 20c, touch the gold ring and connect from here to your first 100c and just continue; try staying in the middle of the screen to give time for the goombas to respawn. due to the high jumps you can easily get 1200c with the first combo.

- now get back under the pipe and repeat it again. again and again until you have around 15 seconds left (or less if you are good at the pole jump in 2-4)

- ignore the star coin downstairs and just exit to the right. take the time bonus and head your way up.

Pretty simple huh?

The funny thing is, the invisible coins will lead you to a high score, not the visible ones. You will see many people trying to hit a highscore with levels full of coins, but that's pretty much a trap actually. The real key to success are the right enemies at the right place and your skills controlling Mario. Do you know the traditional unlimited 1up trick in 2d Mario games? Imagine the coins you can get if you do that in coin rush mode ;). As I said, it's the invisible coins. I wonder if Nintendo did that on purpose to trick people lol.

JoeInky

Probably due to younger self listening to a lot of Midi files but I don't mind the voices. In fact the
arrangement of the NSMBWii credits tune
is even funkier.

Yeah I like the voices as well. I always find myself humming in time with the bah's.

Anyway the next two levels on that pack were shit, time to try and find a better one.

It's pretty simple:

- get down the yellow pipe and shoot one fireball which kills the first goomba and the gold block (the block is kinda annoying me but this way you will also get more coins with the first combo jumps aswell)

- just wait under the pipe and wait until the first goomba is in front of you and I mean very close to you

- now jump on the first goomba to get 5c, 10c on the second, 15c, 20c, touch the gold ring and connect from here to your first 100c and just continue; try staying in the middle of the screen to give time for the goombas to respawn. due to the high jumps you can easily get 1200c with the first combo.

- now get back under the pipe and repeat it again. again and again until you have around 15 seconds left (or less if you are good at the pole jump in 2-4)

- ignore the star coin downstairs and just exit to the right. take the time bonus and head your way up.

Pretty simple huh?

The funny thing is, the invisible coins will lead you to a high score, not the visible ones. You will see many people trying to hit a highscore with levels full of coins, but that's pretty much a trap actually. The real key to success are the right enemies at the right place and your skills controlling Mario. Do you know the traditional unlimited 1up trick in 2d Mario games? Imagine the coins you can get if you do that in coin rush mode ;). As I said, it's the invisible coins.
I wonder if Nintendo did that on purpose to trick people lol.

Yeah I have it now.

And the revelation of trying the infinite 1up trick where you constantly kick a shell came to me but they've made it so when you land on a shell you just kick it and get no air, sneaky bastards.

Yeah I have it now.

And the revelation of trying the infinite 1up trick where you constantly kick a shell came to me but they've made it so when you land on a shell you just kick it and get no air, sneaky bastards.
It's doable, but I'm not that good at it either. And that's why I will never have the best score around in coin rush mode. There are people out there which can do that easily as if it's a piece of cake lol :(.

I will be downloading this game tonight (I hope. Barring eShop problems and being too tired if it comes out 2AM CST.)

Avoiding spolers has been hard since if you watch any video you'll basically spoil the entire game. Can't wai to play it! Going with the eShop version since I know I'll get the retail version for when I eventually get a 3DS XL and give the old 3DS to my mom. Then we can play mutiplayer lol.

Its gonna be hard trying to resist getting physical games for games like AC tho. I love the boxes and game cards D:

I have also made one of my youtube news videos on NSMB2 and will upload it tomorrow. If you watch it then get ready to be annoyed by the bahs that I make. ;)

Dunno why, but since E3 I have been more excited for this than NSMBU. Guess I'll see how it is in a few hours.

Thoraxes

For the people with the slow downloads from reviewers, I wonder how fast it went with the system closed DL'ing on the home screen.

Drago

I'll be downloading tonight, probably at 2am. I'll be getting a boxed copy eventually anyways so I don't mind the lack of a box/account system for now.

I'm hyped! :D

For the people with the slow downloads from reviewers, I wonder how fast it went with the system closed DL'ing on the home screen.

That's definitely what I plan on doing. I don't want to be bothered restarting the download in case my internet craps itself or something similar happens.

JoeInky

22k coins, catching up to you mailenstein.

But I'm really going to have to call it quits for tonight, my A&B button thumb is beginning to hurt lol.

So, after a couple of busy days without playing, and reading some people's impressions of how ugly this game is supposed to look (ugly here being a blanket term for all the visual complaints), I was surprised to find how pleasant and relatively pleasing when compared to DS the style and everything was here. This really is a better looking game than some are making it out to be.

Tim-E

I was on the fence about buying this right away due to how busy I've been, but I just went and bought an SD card and put $50 in eShop funds on my 3DS. Let's do this!

JoeInky

You people aren't actually supporting this game, are you?

It's the most fun I've had with a mario game in a long time. It's a fucking tragedy that coin rush won't be in any other mario games because it's one of the best things to happen to the series recently.

SuperPac

Sounds like the download from the eShop is about 3000 blocks. My system memory has 942 open and the SD card has 11,152 open. Does it need to download to the system memory first or can it go straight to SD?

JoeInky

So, silly questions aside, when do you guys think we'll be getting the DLC? I'm already itching to try out some new levels.

How long did it take Fire Emblem to get it's DLC?

I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of the game, but why would anyone else having fun with or being excited for the game bother you? Honest question.

So, silly questions aside, when do you guys think we'll be getting the DLC? I'm already itching to try out some new levels.

Pretty sure Fire Emblem's DLC was at launch. (Or close to it, anyway.) Someone more versed in FE could probably answer that better.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

my guess is around WiiU launch, to keep advertising the "New" serie

DLC with true reward for 1-million coin, which consists in a code you put in NSMBU and get one additional world

now that would be good

FE had day one DLC (free) and received new maps/
old
characters more or lessevery week or two. They've just begun Season 2 of the DLC, which focusing on the characters after the end game.

JoeInky

Edit: Nobody saw that typo. >_>

I saw the hole thing.

Anyway, I assume it will be before the year. I'm interested in stuff like the pricing and the set up of the stages.

Will it just be a coin rush pack of 3 stages or will it be something like 8 stages and pick 3 of them at random like usual.

Will they be brand new stages or will we get stuff like a "SMW pack" that has all the star road levels in it, or something to that effect.

Peff

Meh, I don't think anybody skip this game because of an idealistic view that it will get Nintendo to put more effort on the audiovisual presentation. It won't, not this game. The entire forum could boycott it and it would be completely meaningless compared to the horde of parents and regular people who will buy it during the rest of the year.

Even then, it's not like we're talking about a bad game either. It's way too easy, the coin gimmick is useless and Coin Rush is poorly implemented, but all in all it's a good, portable 2D platformer with more replay value than usual, which is pretty nice in my book.

So, after a couple of busy days without playing, and reading some people's impressions of how ugly this game is supposed to look (ugly here being a blanket term for all the visual complaints), I was surprised to find how pleasant and relatively pleasing when compared to DS the style and everything was here. This really is a better looking game than some are making it out to be.

The game is really good looking yeah. Mario's model and animations are cute too and better than the wii episode. I really don't understand why this game got so much hate.
I find every levels very creative (I'm at the castle of world 3) and they got some unique ideas and focus.
The controls feel really great too. The only thing I could see being a problem is the difficulty and lenght of the game but those issues aside it's really a great game and clearly not a lazy rushed product.

For the record I hated NSMB ds and sold it before even finishing it because it gave me no satisfaction. I'm not so easy to please when it comes to mario and platformers.

Browsing this page because hype, and I have no idea what anyone is talking about. Not only is that a good thing, it lends credence to my belief that the claims that NSMB2 is a tired rehash are overblown.

I'm super hyped for this but Gamestop isn't doing a midnight, those cheeky bastards. I'd get it off the eShop but I need to be able to share the game :(

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of the game, but why would anyone else having fun with or being excited for the game bother you? Honest question.

Eh, was just being a jerk. Love Mario games, but not a fan of the handheld versions, especially in the "New" series.

SS4Rob

Was going to get the physical copy (still may later) but I'm totally downloading this tonight, 8 GB card ready, just because I can, heh.

Pineconn

I'm excited. Got the game off NewEgg for $29.99, so I'll be getting it a few days late. Which is fine—hopefully this will give me the chance to finish my 3rd playthrough of Skyward Sword.

I want to read all the
spoilerific
text, but can't. :(

Tim-E

Super psyched to play this game! Looks like Mario, which is awesome.

Seriously. Call me a drone or fanboy or whatever, but I will play every Mario platformer that releases and like it. I don't care if they release 2-3 in a year's time because I know I'll enjoy myself. This frequency is different for Nintendo, but I don't really care.

Downhome

If you download a game to the SD card, can you later on transfer to a larger capacity card? How does that work exactly? I was thinking it wasn't possible so that people couldn't just download them, but I've never bothered looking into it for sure since I have never really needed to ask before now.

Santiako

If you download a game to the SD card, can you later on transfer to a larger capacity card? How does that work exactly? I was thinking it wasn't possible so that people couldn't just download them, but I've never bothered looking into it for sure since I have never really needed to ask before now.

You just copy the contents of the SD card to the pc, and then to the bigger SD.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky

Ladies and gentlemen, here you can see the wild Internet troll in its natural habitat, minor message board threads. The food has become scarce these days, they will turn to almost anything in search of sustenance. Whatever you do, don't offer them anything, not even crumbs.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

funny-gifs-you-did-there.gif

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Haven't seen it posted, Totilo's review courtesy of The New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/18/a...ros-2-for-the-nintendo-3ds.html?smid=pl-share

He praises Nintendo for continuing to make Mario platformers more about the dynamics of play than about narratives, characters, or other ancillary elements. It's pretty positive.

wow, that's a really informative review. I guess there are very few people who don't know what a Mario game is about but it's nice to have everything explained for newcomers

Top Bottom