• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

GG-Duo

Could you post anything more vague and meaningless? There's 80,000 people on GAF and there's 1,400 posts in this thread and 700 in the JP one. Who are "you guys"?

It was just a casual impression that I got from the pre-launch coverage and commentary - it was largely negative. Apologies if you feel that's not true and I'm being unfair.

Glass Joe

I'm sort of glad that pre-release GAF shit on this game so hard for being a rehash and lowered my expectations. Now that I'm playing it, I'm really having a lot of fun with it because I didn't expect too much.

In the past, Nintendo probably would have just ported the Wii version, like they did with other console-to-handheld stuff. At least the levels are new, and the game actually looks pretty nice. As good as I remember the Wii version looking and though the 3D is subtle, it sometimes looks kind of cool (especially in lava stages).

Yes, it's true that 2D Mario usually has different artstyles and music and this one doesn't. However, a lot of the graphic differences back in the day were due to technology advances and apparently Nintendo has Mario how they want the games to look. Shame about the music, still.

Remember DKC 1-3 on the SNES all had the same artstyle and they came out pretty rapid fire and people loved it. Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic & Knuckes, and Sonic CD all looked pretty similar too, and people loved it. NSMB came out in 2006, NSMB Wii in 2009, and now NSMB 2 in 2012. It's really not as milked as it could be when you really think about it.

Yes, it's true that 2D Mario usually has different artstyles and music and this one doesn't. However, a lot of the graphic differences back in the day were due to technology advances and apparently Nintendo has Mario how they want the games to look. Shame about the music, still.

Remember DKC 1-3 on the SNES all had the same artstyle and they came out pretty rapid fire and people loved it. Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic & Knuckes, and Sonic CD all looked pretty similar too, and people loved it. NSMB came out in 2006, NSMB Wii in 2009, and now NSMB 2 in 2012. It's really not as milked as it could be when you really think about it.

Sonic and DKC greatly switch up their settings, enemies and soundtracks and that makes a big difference here. I'm thinking NSMB would fare much better in the eyes of some if they didn't trot through the same old settings, hopefully this is where the Wii U entry sets things right.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
In NSMB 2 none of this rings true for me. I'm not getting better at it and there's really no additional challenge in finding most of the Star Coins or secret exits. Like I said, it feels like a whole lot of busy work, very repetitive. Finding secret exits in ghost houses especially is just a chore. I'm not getting much out of this anymore.

Ghost houses feel like just working out the combinations, 'ok, done 1-2-5, now to try 1-3-2 etc. They all seem very similar with various decoy doors and door sequences. Previous mario games played a little bit more with ghost houses, but these seem very samey.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do you not get shiny stars if you the Golden Leaf appears?
Or only if you use it?

I've had it appear, but never used it.

I think if they appear, no shine for you. That's the way it's been in previous Mario games at least. I'm not sure if you can lose the shiny stars after you get them though.

If it just appears, no shiny stars. But if you go back and redo the level without the gold leaf turning up, it restores the shiny star. So you can atone for your error which is good

Teknoman

Just started on this. I like it so far - it's not as bad as you guys made it to be, though it's quite a flawed game.

The graphics are refreshed. For one thing, the polygon count is higher and the fireball effect looks way better.

The music... well, I like the water stage music.

But yeah, we need a new art style.

No love for the main boss theme? :/

Velcro Fly

Game finally arrived. I played through the first world but had a bit of trouble finding a few star coins. I must have replayed 1-A and 1-Tower 4-5 times each. And the middle coin in the World 1 Castle I found by complete accident. 90 minutes and over 4,000 coins later I must say I am quite satisfied so far, even if all I've played is the first world. Knowing I have much more to go is a great feeling.

I have not touched Coin Rush yet either. I have a friend who has the game so I know we'll be streetpassing and battling it out in Coin Rush for the near future. He never played NSMB1 and probably not very much of NSMBW so this all seems pretty fresh to him. Having someone to play with definitely will enhance the experience, even if co-op is really shitty compared to NSMBW.

Nori Chan

Just looking into the game, and what's the point in collecting a million gold coins? And why is it tied to the marketing into it? Does something happen or does it tie to the story?

Non spoilers is the best, but if it does have a spoiler go ahead and tell me.

Socreges

Banned
So the secret exit in 3-Tower...is it just a matter of following one of the large spikes? Can't be bothered to waste my time, though I don't want to be told explicitly what to do either.

Glass Joe

Sonic and DKC greatly switch up their settings, enemies and soundtracks and that makes a big difference here. I'm thinking NSMB would fare much better in the eyes of some if they didn't trot through the same old settings, hopefully this is where the Wii U entry sets things right.

Well, that much is true -- setting and enemy wise. Hopefully the U will change things up, give us a Dessert Land or even some Galaxy style walking on the ceiling stuff. Maybe a tropical land ala Sunshine. The return of Wario or DK as enemies could be a cool touch too. Wario really should have had some kind of shout-out in NSMB 2, considering the coin theme.

Anyway I agree they could do more with the settings, but the game's still fun.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Beat the 'final boss', but I still have the
three secret worlds
to run through. Compared to 3D Land and even NSMB Wii, the fight / stage was pretty disappointing. Overall, I've had a lot of fun with the game, but this was a real let down.

It's kinda lame how coins max out at 9999 on each individual level :'(

I'm trawling each level and trying to play them through to their fullest extent.
The fact that even on a third or fourth playthrough of a level new things can be found is a testament to the extremely solid level design on display.
Having done the most that many of the levels offer, I'm currently at the World 4 Ghost House with 350,000+ coins and so many lives the counter has turned to crowns (over 1,100..??).
This game really does have a lot of depth, so it's a shame to see people streamroll through in 3 hours and call it lacking. Based on the number of possibilities a number of levels offer, it's blatantly clear that it's not intended to be played in that way.

It's kinda lame how coins max out at 9999 on each individual level :'(

I'm trawling each level and trying to play them through to their fullest extent.
The fact that even on a third or fourth playthrough of a level new things can be found is a testament to the extremely solid level design on display.
Having done the most that many of the levels offer, I'm currently at the World 4 Ghost House with 350,000+ coins and so many lives the counter has turned to crowns (over 1,100..??).
This game really does have a lot of depth, so it's a shame to see people streamroll through in 3 hours and call it lacking. Based on the number of possibilities a number of levels offer, it's blatantly clear that it's not intended to be played in that way.

it's not a major problem with the game, but it is a minor problem with the game not encouraging replaying levels beyond the 1 million coins thing. at least it does a good job of making it obvious that there are other levels and worlds than the obvious ones by marking them on the map.

it's one thing to make really replayable levels, as they have here... but if you don't do enough to encourage replay, that effort is somewhat wasted.

Glass Joe

it's not a major problem with the game, but it is a minor problem with the game not encouraging replaying levels beyond the 1 million coins thing. at least it does a good job of making it obvious that there are other levels and worlds than the obvious ones by marking them on the map.

it's one thing to make really replayable levels, as they have here... but if you don't do enough to encourage replay, that effort is somewhat wasted.

I think it's Nintendo's "games for everyone" thought process. How hard should you make a Mario game? Like the DS where it's a cakewalk but good for intro players? Or hard like the old ones, that might make newbies frustrated?

If you're not a great gamer, you can still beat New Super Mario Bros. 2 -- even if you end up having to use a couple of those super leafs along the way. If you're an advanced gamer, obviously you'll ignore those leafs. Then after the credits, you can go for the 3 star coins for more challenge, go for high scores, and unlock the hidden worlds. This set-up is probably smarter -- harder stages for the ones who want it, but not forced upon the player. Kind of like the entire second part of 3D Land.

Busaiku

If it just appears, no shiny stars. But if you go back and redo the level without the gold leaf turning up, it restores the shiny star. So you can atone for your error which is good

I'm wondering if there are indicators which let you know which levels need to be completed.
But I guess it's not really a problem, I can just play through all of them.

I'm not sure this is possible or if I'm overlooking something, but I currently have 50 star coins. I would've had more, but I spent a bunch of star coins opening up paths throughout the worlds. I just counted and I believe I'm only missing about 30 star coins. If this is true then I won't be able to get into Starworld?

Any help is appreciated.

Vibed

Fairly standard Mario so far, but you know what, I'm fine with that. Still very fun and quality Mario game.

When they described the
mush and flower
worlds, I wasn't thinking they'd be themed the way they were when I got to them.

DjRoomba

Banned

So you cant just not use it, it cant show up at all?? That's fucking harsh bro!!

jarosh

I'm not sure this is possible or if I'm overlooking something, but I currently have 50 star coins. I would've had more, but I spent a bunch of star coins opening up paths throughout the worlds. I just counted and I believe I'm only missing about 30 star coins. If this is true then I won't be able to get into Starworld?

Any help is appreciated.

Not true. There's enough Star Coins to unlock the special world and every single path to every single toad house. In fact, it's a requirement to getting all the stars on your save file! You need to collect and then *spend* all the Star Coins.

Yuripaw

Banned
I don't know if anyone knows the answer. I'm still using the out of box firmware that the 3DS XL has. Does anyone know if this game forces a firmware update, and if so what version?

jarosh

And done.

Fa4Rr.jpg

Got all the sparkling stars. Just did the infinite 1-Up trick to get the additional 500 lives I needed for the final star.

beastmode

so how's this game compared to super mario 3d land (quality-wise)? and how bad is the collectathon - can i get through the game without having to scrounge for coins or am i gonna reach a point in the main meat of the game where i have to go back and redo shit to get more?

clemenx

Banned
You know, I hadn't played a NSMB since the Wii one launched.

I don't think the art style is ugly or lazy I think it looks great. I don't know how to describe it but I think they're improving it really subtlety? I remember really disliking how the DS game looked but this one looks crisp and I love it.

But yes, fuck the music :(

Castle 1. Are Dry Goombas and Piranha Plants new? I don't seem to remember them anywhere else.

Not true. There's enough Star Coins to unlock the special world and every single path to every single toad house. In fact, it's a requirement to getting all the stars on your save file! You need to collect and then *spend* all the Star Coins.

thanks for the response. i'm sure i overlooked something then.

jarosh

I only have three stars, i've still got 9 star coins left over but i'm pretty sure I opened all the paths.

You need to:

1) Beat the game
2) Collect every single Star Coin *and* spend them all
3) Collect every
Moon Coin
4) Find every level exit
5) Get 1110 lives

edit: Oh, I see what you mean. If you really have all the Star Coins, visit
the Star World
once more and just look around ;)

JoeInky

Castle 1. Are Dry Goombas and Piranha Plants new? I don't seem to remember them anywhere else.

Yeah they're new, the dry goombas seem to just be goombas with a skull mask on though, not much point to them.

I like the art style as well to be honest, I don't get what's so wrong with classic mario artstlye but in 3D. I want them to keep using it in the super mario bros. series until we get games that look like the official renders in real-time.

Hmm... what levels do you guys like to go to when the winged golden head block comes up? Usually I go back to 1-1 or 1-3, since I feel that I can get the best momentum in those levels and maximize the amount of coins I get out of the golden head block.

edit: Oh, I see what you mean. If you really have all the Star Coins, visit
the Star World
once more and just look around ;)

Well you can tell they didn't have much idea of what to do with those leftover coins, thanks.

Don't think i'm going to grind out the lives though for the last star.

Vibed

Hmm... what levels do you guys like to go to when the winged golden head block comes up? Usually I go back to 1-1 or 1-3, since I feel that I can get the best momentum in those levels and maximize the amount of coins I get out of the golden head block.

Wouldn't a cannon level be a good choice?

jarosh

Well you can tell they didn't have much idea of what to do with those leftover coins, thanks.

Don't think i'm going to grind out the lives though for the last star.

You can do he infinite 1-Up trick and get 700ish lives in one go. Good place is where the first Star Coin is in
Mushroom Level 1
. Only takes a few minutes, basically until the level's timer runs out.

Socreges

Banned
For what purpose? Are you guys actually trying to get a million coins?

RE lover

That's what I used to do until I noticed the golden head block always expires after you get 100 coins, no matter how much time it takes so there's no need to rush I think

CrisKre

Its funny. This is the only New Super Mario game I have really gotten into. Love it. The mechanics are so spot on and refined, and the level design is incredible (I thought the wii version lacked for single player).

Cant wait for NSMB U now.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You know, I hadn't played a NSMB since the Wii one launched.

I don't think the art style is ugly or lazy I think it looks great. I don't know how to describe it but I think they're improving it really subtlety? I remember really disliking how the DS game looked but this one looks crisp and I love it.

But yes, fuck the music :(

The graphics ARE better than NSMB Wii. There's more parallax and 3D background objects. More details like sparkles and speed lines for some enemies. More animation, and more objects are true 3D models. 3DS has shaders Wii doesn't support.

The Dry Goombas and plants are indeed new enemy types.

Its funny. This is the only New Super Mario game I have really gotten into. Love it. The mechanics are so spot on and refined, and the level design is incredible (I thought the wii version lacked for single player).

Cant wait for NSMB U now.

The Wii version had better level design overall than the sketchy original DS game. But, I thought it removed some styles of dense, mazelike levels due to the need to allow four players to navigate the courses.

The level design in NSMB2 looks tighter actually, based on what I've seen.

Glix

Only play with the 3D turned up a tiny bit. You get the 3D effect and the background still looks nice.

The way the background looks when the 3D is turned up all the way is TERRIBLE. It must be some kind of N64 homage or something. It just looks SO bad.

daakusedo

Would have been cool to make a level with the background from the cover, just remembered it was used in a level from Super Mario bros 3. For me the serie is at its best when it go totally for minimalism. For exemple that castle with the circular saws, dark blue stones, black background; and better in 3d, the white lines with red dot showing the axis of the saw, same for the ice level with those electric balls or how an obstacle is full part of a level style.

this is weird. Is the
secret exit the red pipe before the flagpole
?
My brother was playing and died a bunch on the level so a white tanooki leaf popped up. I decided to try it out since I didn't know what it did and cleared it that way so the secret level didn't pop up. I ran through and cleared it fairly easily w/o it and then the path to the secret level appeared.

For what purpose? Are you guys actually trying to get a million coins?
Dunno. I prefer making the most of any power up I get, and I'm somewhat interested in seeing my coin total go up. I can use it to take an extra hit, which is actually convenient since I really need leaf :(

The Dry Goombas and plants are indeed new enemy types.
Yup! Something I found interesting is that Dry Goombas and Dry Piranha Plants can be killed by tail swipes, but Dry Bones just collapse now. Pretty sure tail swipes and cape spins used to kill Dry Bones :O

Top Bottom