• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

Mistle

First impressions is that it's really fun! As expected of course. And the controls feel better than ever for the "new" series. Really tight and accurate. Looks clean and smooth too, can't wait to see it on XL tomorrow.

Socreges

Banned
It's probably been said, but I love that a series with the moniker New! could be less and less original with each successive installment.

Enjoying it, though. World 4 now. Taking my time. Totally worth the $0 I spent on it.

BooJoh

I spent today's playtime working my way through the worlds I've unlocked so far, tying up loose ends before I start on world 6. At 10 hours played I only have like 35k coins. A million seems impossible, but I guess if people are getting 30k in one coin rush then maybe it won't be so bad. My coin rush record so far is a measly 1k and change.

I'm still enjoying the levels and having fun. I wish they would've done all-new music for this game, but I actually like what's there. It's driving everyone else in my house crazy though since I don't use headphones.

Omzz

Liking the game right now. Seems really easy and quite basic to be honest. But I don't know, I'm still enjoying playing it so far.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
realllly pisses me off when I can't find a coin.

ghost houses drive me nuts. Can't find the coin on the 1st secret world ghost house.

also, is there a way to detect on what level the secret exit is? Is it always the tower level?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

ghost houses drive me nuts. Can't find the coin on the 1st secret world ghost house.

also, is there a way to detect on what level the secret exit is? Is it always the tower level?

Same. I don't mind having to exercise significant skill to get a coin, but at least let me see where it is. Can't find the last one on the world 6 ghost house either. Will have a careful scour around and then turn to walkthroughs just for the location

mrklaw

MrArseFace
most hated enemy in a mario game?

for me its a shortlist of three
- lakitu lobbing spiky turtles at me. Mainly because his path isn't predictable and he's always in my face. fuck off.

- those strange mini chomps that follow you around somewhere in world 6. aargh. same reason as lakitu I guess, nowhere to hide.

- boomerang guy. Two boomerangs is just annoying, barely gives you any space to get through.

- Hammer guy. Similar to boomerang guy but slightly less annoying. Don't think I've seen him in NSMB2 yet though?

Kamek

Beat the game earlier tonight. had around 43,000 coins on first playthrough not counting
Star World
. Really loved
the koopa kids in the clown copter. GREAT stone mechanism, added something fresh and cool
. Enjoyed this the most out of all the new SMB games (discounting the Wii homebrew hacks). Honestly, I wish more people would play the various hacks of new smb wii and see what the game's potential truly could have been.

Overall 8/10 from me.

daakusedo

I'm surprised by the trouble the coins are giving, except for that one in 2-4, seems to me that was more with secret exit you need to be careful for.

RagnarokX

- lakitu lobbing spiky turtles at me. Mainly because his path isn't predictable and he's always in my face. fuck off.

- those strange mini chomps that follow you around somewhere in world 6. aargh. same reason as lakitu I guess, nowhere to hide.

- boomerang guy. Two boomerangs is just annoying, barely gives you any space to get through.

- Hammer guy. Similar to boomerang guy but slightly less annoying. Don't think I've seen him in NSMB2 yet though?

Lakitu and his spinies haven't been really threatening since SMB1... well except for W Star-5 in this game.

Fire chomps have always been kind of a pushover. Unlike regular chain chomps you can defeat them by jumping on their heads.

Boomerang Bros are definitely the most challenging of the bros koopas.

The real answers are Phanto, Boss Bass, and Angry Sun.

Lakitu and his spinies haven't been really threatening since SMB1... well except for W Star-5 in this game.

Fire chomps have always been kind of a pushover. Unlike regular chain chomps you can defeat them by jumping on their heads.

Boomerang Bros are definitely the most challenging of the bros koopas.

The real answers are Phanto, Boss Bass, and Angry Sun.

Lakitu stages are always so boring now, it's like they really have no idea what to do with him so it's always a perfectly straight stage with a few small hazards and the secrets can only be found with his cloud, Star-5 was such a short an uneventful stage, I get the angle they were going for with the seesaw platforms and spiny weight factor but it was easily the stage in star world that made me truly realise that this was going to be an underwhelming world.
The SMW stage with the 1up Lakitu and his kind of literal spiritual successor fishin' boo were the last time the guy has been interesting in 2D Mario.

I'd say Fire Bros fill me with more fear than any other Brother, especially in their dark world SMB3 appearance, relentless they are.

It's a shame that Boss Bass has been replaced by Porcu Puffer, the big old cheep cheep in the underwater stages just lacks the same threat value.

As for most feared enemies, i'll get back to you people on this.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

all of them are annoying yes, but nothing beats the goddamned Bloopers. FUCK those things. I always go to a rampage if I have a Fire flower then concentrate on the level because FUCK those things, again

CassSept

Yeah, Lakitu stages are the ones that I usually dread the most not because I'm afraid of it, but because it'll be incredible boring and pretty much guaranteed at least 2 star coins will be hidden in the clouds.

It might have been cool the first time, but by now it has become obnoxious. Same goes for many concepts reused in this game.

Chopper

Yeah but....Gold Lakitus are pretty boss.

Just ventured into World 6. Missed a few star coins and plenty of exits on the way though. Really loving it.

BowieZ

Banned
So I mustve died 8 times in one level (looking for a secret exit), and now every time I go into that level there's a gold super leaf block at the start. I didn't know it was there initially (I would have liked to -- so that I could shut down the game without saving), and this is obviously because I didn't enter the level on the 9th try.

Since I've saved the game since then, it's there pemanently!

Does anyone know if I will lose shiny star status, or can I just avoid using the special block?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So I mustve died 8 times in one level (looking for a secret exit), and now every time I go into that level there's a gold super leaf block at the start. I didn't know it was there initially (I would have liked to -- so that I could shut down the game without saving), and this is obviously because I didn't enter the level on the 9th try.

Since I've saved the game since then, it's there pemanently!

Does anyone know if I will lose shiny star status, or can I just avoid using the special block?

just replay that level and finish it without sucking.

CassSept

Well, it seems I'm mostly done with the game, at least for now.

All the fundamentals are great, but the game is clearly lacking something. It's quite fun for most of the time, but I'm not entirely sure if it's worth the full price.

I'll still cling onto opinion that the main quest is too short and too varied enough. Platformers always have a lot of great of post-game content, but that doesn't exempt this game. Nearly every other platform game I played over the last few years, be it 2D or 3D, had been rife in both aspects, but still had an immensely fun and fairly lengthy main quest. Be it NSMBW, DKCR, both Galaxies, they all had a lot to offer before post-game collectible hunt. That's not really the case here. This is why I have a gripe with bare 3 hours it took me to complete NSMB2. That's all.

Enjoying the game but about the bosses and mini-bosses:

Are all the mini-bosses the rhinos? I'm only at W2 and I just fought the same mini-bosses! Please don't tell me it's only rhinos for the rest of the game!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Enjoying the game but about the bosses and mini-bosses:

Are all the mini-bosses the rhinos? I'm only at W2 and I just fought the same mini-bosses! Please don't tell me it's only rhinos for the rest of the game!

It's crazy reading posts from people who either never played or don't remember the older games. Rhinos? Strange mini chomps? Come on!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Well, it seems I'm mostly done with the game, at least for now.

All the fundamentals are great, but the game is clearly lacking something. It's quite fun for most of the time, but I'm not entirely sure if it's worth the full price.

I'll still cling onto opinion that the main quest is too short and too varied enough. Platformers always have a lot of great of post-game content, but that doesn't exempt this game. Nearly every other platform game I played over the last few years, be it 2D or 3D, had been rife in both aspects, but still had an immensely fun and fairly lengthy main quest. Be it NSMBW, DKCR, both Galaxies, they all had a lot to offer before post-game collectible hunt. That's not really the case here. This is why I have a gripe with bare 3 hours it took me to complete NSMB2. That's all.

did you get all the medals/secrets?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The game did feel a little short to me overall, since I beat it in like three days. But anyone who talks about how they finished it in a matter of hours sure must use a different definition for "finished" than I do. Anything less than 4 or 5 stars on your save file is just flat out "not done," I don't care how many Bowsers you fought. Get all the exits, get all the coins, then you have my permission to die rest.

My five-star completion time was 17 hours.

Skilletor

"poor in creativity and good at fun" is such a stupid thing to say about this. Aren't the old SMB games still fun? Then why not play those games instead? Anyone that could say they are tired of all of the old SMB and NSMB games is going to say they are tired of this one before they even touch it, because without the creativity to make this something fresh, then there is no point to this game existing at all.

Because I've played those before. I don't care about "fresh." I care about fun. If a game is fun, it has a point to exist.

CassSept

Again, I'm getting close to it (I still lack around 10-15 star coins and 3 or so secret exits), but I play at different pace than you guys do (I first rush through the main quest and then replay levels to completion over time, few star coins/stars/puzzle pieces at a time).

For comparison, I still think I have more to unlock in NSMBW than I already did in NSMB2. And I had that game for over 2 years now. Every now and then I play several levels and still marvel at some of the cool ideas that they fit in the game. Here, I see nothing of that sort. The game is massively lacking in that respect. I just don't know, I'm looking for it, but it lacks that "oomph" that some of NSMBW levels had.

krae_man

Me too. I got pissed off and quit at the first fortress. I found the secret exit easy but coin #2? Nope. The first coin is right before the checkpoint so the area where it has to be is very small yet I still can't find it. Gah!

Again, I'm getting close to it (I still lack around 10-15 star coins and 3 or so secret exits), but I play at different pace than you guys do (I first rush through the main quest and then replay levels to completion over time, few star coins/stars/puzzle pieces at a time).

For comparison, I still think I have more to unlock in NSMBW than I already did in NSMB2. And I had that game for over 2 years now. Every now and then I play several levels and still marvel at some of the cool ideas that they fit in the game. Here, I see nothing of that sort. The game is massively lacking in that respect. I just don't know, I'm looking for it, but it lacks that "oomph" that some of NSMBW levels had.

As i've said a few times here it feels like the game reaches a peak around world 4 and does little to advance beyond that point in difficulty and new stage gimmicks (due to this I was overly impressed by the scrolling fence in that one castle), the fact that the star world is pretty much on par with the rest of the final few worlds is the real kicker. Oh it's still fun but NSMB Wii trumps it quite handily in level design and gimmick variety, i'm almost thinking that the original NSMB has a more interesting dark/lava world and Bowser's Castle.
The damning world based comparison in my eyes comes with comparing NSMB2 sky world to NSMB Wii Skyworld, it's like a gulf of difference, Wii has floating water bubbles, rotating platforms, Parabeetles, tilt control platforms (in two forms) and the airy spike pillar castle with the awesome Ludwig fight. Meanwhile NSMB2 has that scrolling coin ship stage which isn't that enjoyable really (kind of like the giant wiggler in NSMB, interesting but actually uneventful), the sky ruins with the cannon pipes and an okay Ludwig fight that would be much better if he started swinging on the chains earlier in the fight.
It could be worse though, NSMB was like a game that reached its difficulty peak in world 2 before suddenly deciding to at least try harder at world 8 but by then it was too late.

Oh and earlier I was going to weigh in on that annoying 2D Mario enemies question so...

Blooper: Forever annoying and occasionally brings its kids along for the ride for that added grief. And you're not safe out of the sea and in the sky as Lost Levels would show us.

Fire Snake: will it land on the platform above you or will it just drop straight down through the one it's on? whatever happens it tends to not be in my favour and that's why I don't like it.

Rocky Wrench: Why is that wrench still on screen with the airship bobbing in its favour? why don't you stay dead?

Anyone who turns up in Tubular: If they were fine before they're not for this one stage, Volcano Lotus and Projectile based Chuck are the prime offenders here, that one guy with the football on the block with the next P balloon, all of my hate!

Fishin' Boo: I'm so glad he only appears once in the series, they could make this guy into an absolute terror, combining the stalker powers of Lakitu with invincibility and breaking into Mario's personal space.

Original SMB Hammer Bros: Of all the enemies here these guys will forever fill me with terror, these new hammer bros are small time, the original bros wont even let your flee backwards if you mistime your run, so much of a winning formula even Bowser himself uses hammers.

hachi

Banned
The more I play it, the less I understand the "bland" criticisms.

Yes, the art style is the same, but it looks even better than the Wii entry to my eyes with the subtle 3D and depth effect (I particularly love the floating bits of fire in lava stages).

More importantly, the level design is perfect. If anything, this game has left me more confident about the future of the franchise, for I can see that this younger group of designers at Nintendo is more than capable of pulling off the level of polish and subtle innovation required of top-tier Mario levels.

Minor changes in incentive are very important here. The recorded coin tallies per level make me much more inclined to perfect my run and grab everything, and there are other little details that go a long way towards changing my play style: those classic boxes containing a time-based number of coins, for which you must jump repeatedly, were always a chore in past Mario titles, so that I'd often just grab the first coin and keep moving. Here, there's the significant added bonus of a possible coin-hat (?) if you reach the total fast enough, which then gives even further incentive to keep running nonstop and milk that bonus. All of these changes chain up so that I'm perpetually trying to maximize profits instead of just running through the scenery.

CassSept

The damning world based comparison in my eyes comes with comparing NSMB2 sky world to NSMB Wii Skyworld, it's like a gulf of difference, Wii has floating water bubbles, rotating platforms, Parabeetles, tilt control platforms (in two forms) and the airy spike pillar castle with the awesome Ludwig fight. Meanwhile NSMB2 has that scrolling coin ship stage which isn't that enjoyable really (kind of like the giant wiggler in NSMB, interesting but actually uneventful), the sky ruins with the cannon pipes and an okay Ludwig fight that would be much better if he started swinging on the chains earlier in the fight.

The biggest disappointment for me was Winter World. I always liked ice/snow-themed levels in games, as frustrating as they might be. They usually have very soothing music and some nice vistas.

What did I get here?

Snow level - Ghost House (???) - Snow level - Tower - Ice level (that takes about a minute to complete together with all star coins) - Mushroom level (BWAH BWAH) - Underwater level (!?!?) - Castle

And that's it. Sure, there are still two alternate levels I have to unlock (one was an icy level... underground. It wasn't that bad though), but that was disappointing. I love to actually do some platforming in a platform game. Here I have to stop constantly and scan the environment for any ledge that looks off or pipe that seems different. There is no flow to the game in most of the levels, and it's interrupted constantly if you want to experience these other levels.

That's why they are SECRETS. They shouldn't be the key focus of the game. Even previous NSMB game were already fun on their own. This game without secrets is nothing. And even they aren't that well done because they are usually done very repetitively and require little to no skill - except for ability to spot a single detail that's wrong in the environment. It's a chore for the most part, really.

I don't want to write anything more negative about this game - but the coin gimmick is severely misused. There is no point collecting coins. Nintendo promised this game was all about coins - it actually really isn't. It's showering you with coins, but there is absolutely no point to them. And coin rush is capped off at 30 000, so after some point there is little to no incentive to return to it. It's not a bad game - I actually like it - but it's just so disappointing.

noobasuar

Banned
Just got 50,000 coins and unlocked world 5 so I thought I would give some quick impressions. I really, really hated NSMB on the DS so I wasn't expecting much from this game but man was I wrong. I feel like the controls are ALOT more precise than they were in NSMB which is awesome since the way controls feel is one of the most important things in a platformer. Also the level design is great and I really feel the game was meant to be played by collecting as many coins as possible in every level. And the levels seem to be the perfect length for a handheld Mario, I never feel that they are to long or to short. All in all I'm having a great time with it and can't wait to see what they do with the downloadable levels.

The more I play it, the less I understand the "bland" criticisms.

Yes, the art style is the same, but it looks even better than the Wii entry to my eyes with the subtle 3D and depth effect (I particularly love the floating bits of fire in lava stages).

More importantly, the level design is perfect. If anything, this game has left me more confident about the future of the franchise, for I can see that this younger group of designers at Nintendo is more than capable of pulling off the level of polish and subtle innovation required of top-tier Mario levels.

Minor changes in incentive are very important here. The recorded coin tallies per level make me much more inclined to perfect my run and grab everything, and there are other little details that go a long way towards changing my play style: those classic boxes containing a time-based number of coins, for which you must jump repeatedly, were always a chore in past Mario titles, so that I'd often just grab the first coin and keep moving. Here, there's the significant added bonus of a possible coin-hat (?) if you reach the total fast enough, which then gives even further incentive to keep running nonstop and milk that bonus. All of these changes chain up so that I'm perpetually trying to maximize profits instead of just running through the scenery.
It certainly does look better than the wii game with greater background variety but it's still only a small step forwards so ultimately it doesn't mean that much. I'd say the reason people get so hung up on backgrounds and music in these games is really because a few missteps aside the core gameplay is pretty well nailed down with solid level design so these are the next most important things to deal with, one of the main reasons i'm very much looking forward to NSMBU is because it looks to solve this issue, it will play very similarly I imagine but have a much fresher feel to it by virtue of the improved audiovisual side.

As you may have gathered from other posts I disagree with perfect level design for this one, it's still good don't get me wrong but I really feel they could've gone much further than they did. But it is a promising start for this team and I absolutely agree with your point on the coin blocks and stage coin totals, I would avoid the multi hit blocks until this game but blockhead mario is too good to resist. For the record I think you can always get one of these from a multi hit block but much like getting the full coin amount/mushroom in previous games you have to do it quickly to get your prize, ground pound is the way forward for this.

I do also like how jumping in certain crevices will fill an area with coins, it's a nice touch that slightly encourages even little attempts at exploration, it's just a shame that really the coins aren't worth anything.

The biggest disappointment for me was Winter World. I always liked ice/snow-themed levels in games, as frustrating as they might be. They usually have very soothing music and some nice vistas.

What did I get here?

Snow level - Ghost House (???) - Snow level - Tower - Ice level (that takes about a minute to complete together with all star coins) - Mushroom level (BWAH BWAH) - Underwater level (!?!?) - Castle

And that's it. Sure, there are still two alternate levels I have to unlock (one was an icy level... underground. It wasn't that bad though), but that was disappointing. I love to actually do some platforming in a platform game. Here I have to stop constantly and scan the environment for any ledge that looks off or pipe that seems different. There is no flow to the game in most of the levels, and it's interrupted constantly if you want to experience these other levels.

Back when I first finished the game I think I claimed the Ice/Snow world was easily the most underwhelming. Its hidden cave stages are actually among the better stages here which I hadn't played at that point but my opinion still stands as such. The icy mountain with the SMW style background was such a bland stage, some slopes and piranha plants was all there was to it, the first NSMB has similar stages in the ice world that are actually much better with the moving ropes, cannon pipes and weird shell creatures you had to knock down holes to defeat, so I was really expecting better here.
And that water stage, why? it was completely uneventful, has no subtle visual or stage design quirks to indicate that it's like an ice world stage, funny hearing the tropical music in a snowy overworld though before you enter the underwater bit.
The first snow level should've had giant spiky ice balls instead of the theme clashing stone ones but oh well, point is they dropped the ball on that set of stages that didn't play much to the worlds own theme. Needs more Penguin suit or to take more cues from that one snow stage that opened up NSMB world 5, the deep snow, Spikes that lobbed mass growing snowballs and the tree branches that would pile snow on top of you, these elements could have been reused in some form.

Now i'm sounding really negative on this game, to reiterate I did enjoy quite a lot.

What is the level that gives out the little mushrooms? Thanks in advance.
3-B I think? if all else fails there's always one in a mushroom house but you can't get one in reserve that way.

Just got the game today with my XL, and as I suspected, I'm loving it. 2D Mario, man. I'm only up to stage 5 in W-1, but it's like coming home to an old friend. A couple of the coins have had me searching already. Can't wait to really dig into it!

zroid

Banned
You can get two minis from 3-B, that's a good one.

From what I've seen so far (3 worlds), the level design is indeed quite good. There are new ideas and lots of fun secrets. The problem I have is that the ideas aren't always tremendously clever (good but not great), and the secrets usually just lead to a bunch of coins. That's fine, I like finding them for their own sake; but it'd be nice if more often there were something genuinely rewarding.

Kazerei

Banned
I did it! Five shiny stars on my save file!

I've only got ~50,000 coins though. I can't imagine reaching a million, that takes some serious grinding.

Kazerei

Banned
Why would I do that? Can't you only use them once? They are like items in a jrpg, I will NEVER use them.

After you beat
the star world
, you can use mushroom houses as many times as you want.

Anyways, if you need a mini-mushroom in your inventory (I think one of the star coins required it), run through level 3-B.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stumpokapow, really depth and interesting review.

Quick question: how did you get the game for $10? Just curious.

Canadian retailer had "Trade 1 qualifying game to get NSMB2" promotion. Qualifying games were mostly $20+, but one of them was "Jockey Champion" for Wii, a horse racing game. I checked EBGames and the closest one to my house had a copy for $10. Ta-da.

The people I was with got 3DS XLs for $75-90 abusing a similar "trade 5 qualifying games" promotion. Hell, Wal-Mart in Canada was selling Max Payne 3 for $20, and that qualified for both promotions, so even if you weren't an expert at abusing the system, you'd still get it half off :p

Peff

Canadian retailer had "Trade 1 qualifying game to get NSMB2" promotion. Qualifying games were mostly $20+, but one of them was "Jockey Champion" for Wii, a horse racing game. I checked EBGames and the closest one to my house had a copy for $10. Ta-da.

The people I was with got 3DS XLs for $75-90 abusing a similar "trade 5 qualifying games" promotion. Hell, Wal-Mart in Canada was selling Max Payne 3 for $20, and that qualified for both promotions, so even if you weren't an expert at abusing the system, you'd still get it half off :p

This is kind of off-topic but did you ever do a similar write-up for the Rabbids platformer? I've been tempted to pick it up a couple of times since it got cheaper.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Cleared every course and got every star coin. So I'm done. Ended up with like 22000 coins, because I didn't particularly give a shit about it.

Overall, really solid game... but yeah, it kinda destroyed my hype for the WiiU game if it's going to be just like this. I'm Mario-d out for a while.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my. I've just heard that the Million coin reward is
A new start screen? They put ALL of their marbles in on the fact that this game is about coin collecting. That is fucking terrible. Its the absolute worst. I mean sure if it was just side thing it'd be neat, but come the fuck on its the only thing in this bland soulless uncreative that they hung thier hat on. They couldn't put levels extra levels behind a coin counter? Or use a SMB3 inventory system where the items can be bought? Or unlockable characters? or fucking anything but a new freaking start screen?

Add that to the stupid design choice of how the camera works in coop and you have to ask how can so many people let nintendo take a pass on making absolutely horrible and lazy decisions on crucial design elements? This is a game where we should be rising up and saying "damn it nintendo you can do better than this".

You guys say the level design saves it, but I really really don't see it through the first 3 worlds. I think there needs to either be challenge or creativity to make going through levels fun, but obviously the game isn't about challenge and you guys admit this game is without creativity. So why do people say they like the game? I honestly don't understand it.

I got this game expecting they'd do something cool with the coin thing, and assuming there would be at least some neat environments, scenarios, and secret placements, but that was obviously a mistake. I wish there was some way to get a refund.

Top Bottom