• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

Oh my god. The co-op is so fucking bad. I honestly can't believe how hard they screwed it up. Like "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?" But seriously, what the fuck were they thinking. The camera follows one player, and that player may not even be you. There are TWO SEPARATE handheld devices and they didn't change any of the god awful mechanics from the Wii co-op. How can they possibly justify this; you have your own device, and the camera is still shared between two players. That is just absolute nonsense. It's literally unplayable, as my friend would run ahead and I'd constantly get bubbled...and don't even get me started on the bubble.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Mario games and I think this is a great game, but I was severely disappointed when I tried to play with a buddy. :(

Sora_N

I only played NSMBDS a bit, I didn't really like it. I got NSMB2 last night, played through W1. Seems like fun stuff. I got it for 20 bucks too, great price. :) I can't wait to play a bit when I'm on my lunch!

Murrah

Banned
They will, but not right now. They claim to still not have worked on new levels specific to coin rush, but this is planned. They are waiting for players feedback first.

I know they're making DLC for it, but I just meant free coin rushes using the built-in levels. Like ghost data in Mario Kart. Sorta surprised it's not just straight up built into the game as unlockable or something to be honest, it's a great idea that a lot of people probably won't be able to try since they don't have people to streetpass with

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh my god. The co-op is so fucking bad. I honestly can't believe how hard they screwed it up. Like "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?" But seriously, what the fuck were they thinking. The camera follows one player, and that player may not even be you. There are TWO SEPARATE handheld devices and they didn't change any of the god awful mechanics from the Wii co-op. How can they possibly justify this; you have your own device, and the camera is still shared between two players. That is just absolute nonsense. It's literally unplayable, as my friend would run ahead and I'd constantly get bubbled...and don't even get me started on the bubble.

Because of that. Shared camera means you have to stick together rather than having one running off on their own.

b3b0p

The best thing about NSMB's music being relatively uninspired is I have no qualms about dropping the volume real low and catching up on some podcasts. (I keep it on just a touch so I can hear those delicious coin sound effects)

The game is perfectly playable without audio. :)
unlike a certain Vita version of Rayman Origins -- goddamn relics

This is exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks, I love games that I can listen to something I else like podcasts or TV in the background. Makes them real easy to pick up, play, and continue playing long bouts.

FedEx just came with my copy about 30 minutes ago. I'm at work though.

Skilletor

Yeah, the music is f*cking terrible. It doesn't ruin the game by any means, but I'm convinced that great music can elevate a good platformer into EXCELLENT territory.

Yeah, the music is horrible. This is the first time I've turned the volume down in a game.

That aside, I'm enjoying it. I just love 2D Mario. They're all good games, and that's really all I expect from them. That this isn't as good as the old games doesn't bother me, so long as I'm having fun.

3D in this game is nice and subtle, and it's really nice playing on the larger screen of the XL.

Sora_N

Yeah, the music is horrible. This is the first time I've turned the volume down in a game.

That aside, I'm enjoying it. I just love 2D Mario. They're all good games, and that's really all I expect from them. That this isn't as good as the old games doesn't bother me, so long as I'm having fun.

3D in this game is nice and subtle, and it's really nice playing on the larger screen of the XL.

I was playing on the bus so I didn't use sound...I guess that's a good thing, I hate using headphones.

daakusedo

In the end of the dry koopa boat level when lava rises, before entering the exit pipe, there is a little crack where you can go so I was expecting some coins to appear but nothing.
Does it have any use? Seems a bit random.

llehuty

I think nintendo should donate a percentage of my 40€ to neogaf.

I was so convinced that I was not going to buy this game. I didn't expect any positive feedback from a game with "new" and "2" on the title.

zroid

Banned
I really need to go back and play through NSMBW sometime. I finished most of it with a few friends a couple years ago, but I've only ever played a handful of levels solo.

It was ridiculously fun with 4 players, but I didn't really get a feel for the level design, and wasn't able to look for all the secrets.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Oh, I totally forgot. I thought the Cannon Stages were a good homage to Cannabalt / infinite runners (and perhaps a sly admission that Nintendo until now actually missed out on one of the most important developments in the platforming genre since they practically invented it; although between Balloon Trip mode and Yoshi's Touch and Go it's not like Nintendo hasn't made any overture before... but this is definitely more explicit), but that they weren't really fun because by and large they required trial-and-error to get things precisely right, rather than just quick reflexes. I'd like to see them iterate a bit more on them. I'd actually like to see a $1-5 Mario infinite runner released on the eShop, to be honest.

jarosh

You know, I'm actually getting *more* annoyed with the game the more time I sink into it, the closer I get to completion, whereas both NSMB Wii and DKCR grew on me significantly during the coin collecting/100% completion stage.

Here it's all just starting to feel tedious, like busy work. In DKCR, for example, I felt like I was constantly getting better at the game during this stage, a lot of things suddenly clicked once I knew every level's nooks and crannies, once I really got a feel for every area and could just joyously run and jump and roll through them. It felt like a satisfying test of skills.

And in NSMB Wii it was a little bit of that too, but more importantly I felt like I was really exploring the levels, finding lots of interesting hidden things. It helped that it was just a joy to traverse the levels in general because of how cleverly designed they were.

In NSMB 2 none of this rings true for me. I'm not getting better at it and there's really no additional challenge in finding most of the Star Coins or secret exits. Like I said, it feels like a whole lot of busy work, very repetitive. Finding secret exits in ghost houses especially is just a chore. I'm not getting much out of this anymore.

Reclaimer

Interesting, but I'm wondering if 3D Land is better than all of the above.

I think it is. (though I haven't extensively played nsmbWii, just a handful of hours at a friends)

3D Land was a great surprise, and reminded me why I enjoy Mario games. Although this Nsmb2 is OK, it doesn't exude the pure joy that 3D Land does.

Anyone else miss the Mario "bye bye!" when shutting the system on a DSi with the first game?
I do. One of my favorite things about it actually.

Yuterald

I haven't StreetPassed with anyone yet, but I think you're missing the point of the Streetpass implementation in this title, as are the folks posting about maxing out the coins.

Streetpass for NSMB2 isn't about getting the highest coin total possible.

Streetpass for NSMB2 is more about beating someone else's score on a random selection of levels.

Streetpassing with others will get you different sets of levels with different coin counts -- you can then challenge the same levels as your opponent while trying to beat their coin count.

I wouldn't focus on "maxing out" the coin count -- I think you're better off frequently changing the level you have set as your ST level so that EVERYONE out there gets new and different challenges.

(...besides, if you can regularly max out the counter on one stage, it seems to indicate that those stages aren't really the most challenging for coins. Try a lower-yielding set of levels and see how many you can nab.)

Ah, I see. Well, that's cool then. Thanks for clearing that up!

Teknoman

Oh, I totally forgot. I thought the Cannon Stages were a good homage to Cannabalt / infinite runners (and perhaps a sly admission that Nintendo until now actually missed out on one of the most important developments in the platforming genre since they practically invented it; although between Balloon Trip mode and Yoshi's Touch and Go it's not like Nintendo hasn't made any overture before... but this is definitely more explicit), but that they weren't really fun because by and large they required trial-and-error to get things precisely right, rather than just quick reflexes. I'd like to see them iterate a bit more on them. I'd actually like to see a $1-5 Mario infinite runner released on the eShop, to be honest.

Yeah the cannon run areas need to be in future titles, or at least once more.

Teknoman

Yeah except I'm not sure if nsmb2 is better than the first. Been too long since I played it and nsmb2 feels like more of a retread obviously.

It is. Controls much better, and even though the bosses are still koopa kids, they're much better than the altered enemies from the first. The main boss battle theme alone puts it ahead.

CassSept

It definitely is better than the original NSMB. However, the original one was released after 15 years since the last 2D Mario in a genre that was dead. Situation has changed drastically over the last 6 years, that's why what could get a pass back then doesn't necessarily have to do now.

It is. Controls much better, and even though the bosses are still koopa kids, they're much better than the altered enemies from the first. The main boss battle theme alone puts it ahead.

Interesting, will have to find my copy and check it out.

It definitely is better than the original NSMB. However, the original one was released after 15 years since the last 2D Mario in a genre that was dead. Situation has changed drastically over the last 6 years, that's why what could get a pass back then doesn't necessarily have to do now.

Yeah I think thats why I was more enamored with it at the time.

Need some help with the 2nd Star Coin in
World 4 Ghost House. I know it's got something to do with the P-Block, and I hit it and collect all the coins before the timer runs out, but I'm not finding the Star Coin.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Need some help with the 2nd Star Coin in
World 4 Ghost House. I know it's got something to do with the P-Block, and I hit it and collect all the coins before the timer runs out, but I'm not finding the Star Coin.

It's just above the two ?? blocks. Jump up the moving walls. No P-Block required

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Interesting, but I'm wondering if 3D Land is better than all of the above.
I think so.

The one knock against 3D Land is the fact that they settled on 30 fps. I've found that, over time, many of the real platforming classics are those which operate at 60 fps. The game is still fantastic, but it's damn disappointing that they couldn't hit 60.

stuminus3

I think we can all agree

NSMBW >>> NSMB2 > NSMB
Please, don't do this. It's annoying as shit trying to talk about a game days, weeks, months or even years after release but instead getting bombarded with the "bububut it's common knowledge x >>> y > z!!" nonsense. Every single one of us has different tastes and different opinions.

On topic: I'm struggling to get a straight 1-1 to Bowser run though this game complete because of the coin rush mode. I'm starting to understand it's not really a traditional score attack mode, more of a cheap way for Nintendo to keep you playing for that million coins, but it's really addictive going through levels again and again and finding new secrets and new little tricks to boost your coins. The level design makes way more sense playing coin rush than it does for the regular mode, I recommend if anyone isn't feeling the level design then to give coin rush a try. I really wish it was in NSMB Wii, and I really hope it's in NSMB U. I left my 3DS on standby today for my commute to/from work, I'm hoping to get a couple of Streetpass tags (I usually do around Toronto).

braves01

Banned
I think we can all agree

NSMBW >>> NSMB2 > NSMB

Right on, but I think you need a few more >>> between NSMB 1 and 2. This is much better than the original DS game in terms of everything but originality. The final boss in this was pretty disappointing though, 3DL's kicks its butt all over the playground in that respect. I haven't explored much of the post game content but I did go out of my way to get most the star coins on the first go around. I think I ultimately like this more than 3DL despite its faults just because 2D Mario is just so fundamentally sound even if it lacks originality.

zroid

Banned
The final boss in this was pretty disappointing though, 3DL's kicks its butt all over the playground in that respect.

Man. 3DL's final boss was one of the best in Mario history. I think it is very possibly better than either SM64's or Galaxy 2's. *_*

GG-Duo

Just started on this. I like it so far - it's not as bad as you guys made it to be, though it's quite a flawed game.

The graphics are refreshed. For one thing, the polygon count is higher and the fireball effect looks way better.

The music... well, I like the water stage music.

But yeah, we need a new art style.

jarosh

Just started on this. I like it so far - it's not as bad as you guys made it to be

Could you post anything more vague and meaningless? There's 80,000 people on GAF and there's 1,400 posts in this thread and 700 in the JP one. Who are "you guys"?

braves01

Banned
Do you not get shiny stars if you the Golden Leaf appears?
Or only if you use it?

I've had it appear, but never used it.

I think if they appear, no shine for you. That's the way it's been in previous Mario games at least. I'm not sure if you can lose the shiny stars after you get them though.

Tim-E

Could you post anything more vague and meaningless? There's 80,000 people on GAF and there's 1,400 posts in this thread and 700 in the JP one. Who are "you guys"?

The people in this thread with negative impressions of the game? Who else would they be referring to?

Top Bottom