• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

Dunno. I prefer making the most of any power up I get, and I'm somewhat interested in seeing my coin total go up. I can use it to take an extra hit, which is actually convenient since I really need leaf :(

Yup! Something I found interesting is that Dry Goombas and Dry Piranha Plants can be killed by tail swipes, but Dry Bones just collapse now. Pretty sure tail swipes and cape spins used to kill Dry Bones :O
If I recall correctly in smw you could pick drybones up and drop them in lava when they were collapsed. Maybe I'm remembering wrong though.

Kazerei

Banned
And done.

Fa4Rr.jpg

Got all the sparkling stars. Just did the infinite 1-Up trick to get the additional 500 lives I needed for the final star.

Nice. How long did it take you?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Guys, in the haunted house in world 6. Going in circles.

HALP!

Ah, dude,
it's totally the room all the way to the left with the second star coin. Just like... go there, and wait for a little bit for blocks to move. The exit's gonna reveal itself, pretty much.

after you beat it, do you get to save anywhere, like in the original? Only saving after unlocking a path with star coins or beating a castle or tower sucks. I know there is a quick save, but still.

hunnies28

Just got the game, only played 3 levels but I'm enjoying it so far.

after you beat it, do you get to save anywhere, like in the original? Only saving after unlocking a path with star coins or beating a castle or tower sucks. I know there is a quick save, but still.

I also want to know this. SM3DL saves every level, why can't this game do the same ? :(

Quick save it's not the same.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Like jarosh, I just abused and infinite life trick in
Mushroom-1
to max out the game and get the 5 shiny stars. Yay. Not a hope in hell of going for the million coins.

I have beat the game and I have save anywhere. Not sure when it got unlocked.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
My brother was playing and died a bunch on the level so a white tanooki leaf popped up. I decided to try it out since I didn't know what it did and cleared it that way so the secret level didn't pop up. I ran through and cleared it fairly easily w/o it and then the path to the secret level appeared.

ah well this explains it then. You don't get secrets if you use that!

Its funny. This is the only New Super Mario game I have really gotten into. Love it. The mechanics are so spot on and refined, and the level design is incredible (I thought the wii version lacked for single player).

Cant wait for NSMB U now.

it's funny, this is exactly how I feel. I'm really, REALLY into this game and instead of feeling less hyped for NSMBU , it's actually boosting my anticipation with the promise of the same great time (maybe even better?) I'm having right now with this game. I even like the music sometimes. I had serious issues with both NSMB before this. Maybe my body wasn't ready?

Gartooth

The star coins and secret exits seem so much better hidden than the previous NSMB games which I appreciate. Only annoying part is finding which level has the secret exit in it.

Also I'm enjoying Mini Mario way more in this game than in the first NSMB.

clemenx

Banned
The star coins and secret exits seem so much better hidden than the previous NSMB games which I appreciate. Only annoying part is finding which level has the secret exit in it.

Also I'm enjoying Mini Mario way more in this game than in the first NSMB.

Yeah. I miss when in SMW the levels were red if they had a secret exit. I just spent like 10 minutes looking for an exit in a world I was certain had it but it was in the next one. :lol

Mistle

Just picked this up even if I told myself to wait for WiiU NSMB :p it was on sale that ended today so I just said fuck it and picked up a copy. I know it's nothing new, but I really enjoy Mario so I know I'll enjoy this even if it is disappointing Nintendo are holding back a bit on the innovation.

XL comes out tomorrow in Australia so I'll probs wait until I have that to start playing :D excited for both.

Also, the department store I bought from had left the club nintendo codes in all the boxes :S across all their Nintendo games..

Medalion

Banned
Fun game... it's exactly what you'd expect from a 2D Mario... that can be a good and a bad thing

The mid-boss fights are a complete joke, but damn if it didn't feel good to hear the SMW boss level fight music

I hope NSMB Wii-U is going to be way more imaginative what is happening here though

Teknoman

Fun game... it's exactly what you'd expect from a 2D Mario... that can be a good and a bad thing

The mid-boss fights are a complete joke, but damn if it didn't feel good to hear the SMW boss level fight music

I hope NSMB Wii-U is going to be way more imaginative what is happening here though

It will be. The main theme song is different, and the backgrounds of stage 1-1 look incredible, so I say that is a very good sign.

And yes, really glad to hear SMW boss remixed, but the boss battles are actually harder in co-op. Just for the simple fact that you've got another person to run into lol.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it at all.

Squirrel suits? Baby Yoshis? Mario doesn't need new suits or new Yoshis. He needs a new 2D gameplay mechanic that had the same impact and innovation that the suits originally did in SMB3 or that Yoshi did in SMW.

The game also doesn't need a background that looks like Van Gogh. The whole game needs to look like Van Gogh.

It will be. The main theme song is different, and the backgrounds of stage 1-1 look incredible, so I say that is a very good sign.

Meaningless window dressing.

Medalion

Banned
The core mechanic of collecting lots of gold coins

The philosophy behind the making of this game to begin with. Hello cash-grab!

But Nintendo shutted up and took my money cuz I gave it to them

jmls1121

Banned
I just finished the main game and star world, still have to unlock some levels and 100 percentage the star coins.

Pretty much echo the comments here...incredible game yet not very imaginative. I still had a blast with it.

Korosenai

Bought this game today and figured i'd try it out.

I'm at about 1-5 and not really enjoying it at all. I want to, but it just isn't fun to me.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Came in the mail today and was super excited. Played a little bit into world 2.

This is the exact same game as NSMB1. Like EXACT same. Remove some of the extra coin stuff and tell me its NSMB1 and i would literally believe you. And its not like NSMB1 was super different from SMB3. Like every level feels like it exactly follows what you did in NSMB1 in the same exact order as NSMB1. Its not just 1-1 and 1-2 but all the way through 2-2. I wouldn't be suprised if like 1-4 in NSMB1 and 1-4 in NSMB2 is the same level for example and the same applies to any level you want to pick.

I hope it gets better but man this is downright shameful so far.

Tank

Neo Member
This is only the second NSMB game I've played, (first was NSMB DS) - is it just me, or is this simply a slightly reskinned version of something that came out six years ago? I don't want to complain, but the levels I have seen so far (just world 1) it honestly feel like Ive been there, done that, for pretty much every level.

Graphics aren't even that much better. Is it weird that I feel this is the same game with the exception of the coin rush stuff?

Teknoman

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it at all.

Squirrel suits? Baby Yoshis? Mario doesn't need new suits or new Yoshis. He needs a new 2D gameplay mechanic that had the same impact and innovation that the suits originally did in SMB3 or that Yoshi did in SMW.

The game also doesn't need a background that looks like Van Gogh. The whole game needs to look like Van Gogh.

I'm sure they'll do something creative with the Squirrel suits. Then again, I like the prop-hats and penguin suits from Wii.

Medalion

Banned
Mario 3D Land still superior... it's a 3D Mario that plays like a 2D Mario

NSMB is a 2D Mario that feels 1D in creativity... but 4D in fun

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Oh and the 3D effects are awful too. All the 3D slider does is adjust the depth of field filter they put on the background. Nothing actually looks 3D.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This is only the second NSMB game I've played, (first was NSMB DS) - is it just me, or is this simply a slightly reskinned version of something that came out six years ago? I don't want to complain, but the levels I have seen so far (just world 1) it honestly feel like Ive been there, done that, for pretty much every level.

Graphics aren't even that much better. Is it weird that I feel this is the same game with the exception of the coin rush stuff?

To be honest, your memory is fuzzy. The art style is similar, but the graphics are a lot better than NSMB DS.

As for stage design, it does have a lot more (and more variety) than NSMB DS over the course of the game.

Having said that, it's true that many of the world themes are the ones that have been used in the three NSMB games to date... though NSMB 2 does introduce a lot of new background elements and points of interest over the course of the game, especially due to the gold theme.

NSMB U seems to be the next full generation of NSMB, with fresh themes, new music, etc.

Medalion

Banned
Yeah... who'd a thunk a natively 2D game would have any 3D features... it's not even 2.5D... it just blurs the background

but the sparkly effects in the Castle levels are nice for this

nmanma

The whole game needs to look like Van Gogh.

I chuckled, but I agree with what I think is your sentiment. I think level design is what makes or breaks mario games. Powerups and gimmicks (green blocks, ! flamethrowers, circular saws, etc) are useful as long as it's used to make good levels

That said I think the level design in this game is very good, leagues above nsmbds, in the same league as nsmbwii extra world. Beated world 8, still have to find the hidden worlds, but I love how the gimmicks are used to make interesting levels (green blocks, flamethrowers, spiderwebs) how there are a lot of secret paths to explore, and how there are decent platforming challenges. In mario games I usually start finding levels decently challenging by world 5-6 (previous worlds are fun but usually not challenging, kinda like kirby) but in this game I felt the levels getting challenging by the third world. That first minimario autoscroll level and that castle with the circular saws were the first signals that this was going to be good.

Inukage

Anyone else having issues playing Co-Op, It's just dam annoying having one person constantly getting cut off the screen they should of just had each 3DS have their own view.

Teknoman

I guess you found it? So how'd you like the rush stage?

Anyone else having issues playing Co-Op, It's just dam annoying having one person constantly getting cut off the screen they should of just had each 3DS have their own view.

Not really, I just played it earlier with a friend...similar to Bros. Wii. Worked out nicely, though you can accidentally leave them behind. Still really fun once you get used to it.

nmanma

I think the reasoning was that if each player had it's own screen it would be the same as playing solo, with the occasional teleporting when somebody goes down a pipe

Haven't played coop but I thought it would be like nsmbwii, where a lot of the fun comes from bumping into each other and hogging the mushrooms, like, interacting with each other. Then again the wii game has the advantage of a bigger screen, I don't know how well the concept would work with the smaller screen. Sadly I have noone to coop with :(

edit: Oh, at least someone has no problem with it, I hope I get the chance to coop with someone in the near future

Teknoman

I think the reasoning was that if each player had it's own screen it would be the same as playing solo, with the occasional teleporting when somebody goes down a pipe

Haven't played coop but I thought it would be like nsmbwii, where a lot of the fun comes from bumping into each other and hogging the mushrooms, like, interacting with each other. Then again the wii game has the advantage of a bigger screen, I don't know how well the concept would work with the smaller screen. Sadly I have noone to coop with :(

Its very much like that. I only played Wii 2p co-op, and it felt very much like that on the XL. Using teamwork to snag coins, laughing at dumb mistakes, accidentally knocking each other off a plaform, or accidentally achieving an awesome combo jump /save.

I chuckled, but I agree with what I think is your sentiment.

Level design is hugely important. I agree with you there. But mechanics matter greatly. The mechanics inform the level design.

I'm not just talking about new tools like suits, Yoshi, FLUDD, or even gravity, but I'm even talking about handling and physics. Additionally, new movesets like triple jumping, long jumping, backflipping, etc. informs the level design. All that stuff goes into making Mario games stand out from each other, and NSMB changes none of it. How about adding some new moves that could really let us reach new Mario platforming heights?

NSMB looks to have less creativity in its four games than between SMB and SMB2 or SMB and SMB3 or between SMB3 and SMW. I'm especially disappointed because I thought maybe the coins would make for some interesting gameplay situations, but they really add nothing gameplay-wise to the game. Hell, anyone with a 3DS could tell you that Donkey Kong '94 added more to the Mario formula and moveset than the NSMB games.

Sure, level design matters, but you have to be damn creative if you're not going to add any of the other tools, moves, and gimmicks to Mario's bag of tricks.

So in regards to my Van Gogh comment, honestly, if the whole game presented new gameplay mechanics such as the type I listed, it could keep its sterile, lifeless presentation and horrible music and it'd probably be GOTY material. But it doesn't add those mechanics. And the artstyle perfectly epitomizes the resistance to change in this series.

Inukage

Its very much like that. I only played Wii 2p co-op, and it felt very much like that on the XL. Using teamwork to snag coins, laughing at dumb mistakes, accidentally knocking each other off a plaform, or accidentally achieving an awesome combo jump /save.

It is the the only difference is the camera view is like 30% of what you get on NSMB Wii, its feel like your really confined on NSMB2 at least the Wii would push the camera back giving you a little more room to catch up.

Teknoman

It is the the only difference is the camera view is like 30% of what you get on NSMB Wii, its feel like your really confined on NSMB2 at least the Wii would push the camera back giving you a little more room to catch up.

Yeah it would be nice if the camera zoomed out a little at times to give a bit of leeway. Especially when travelling vertical.

Medalion

Banned
Surely this game could have benefited with more dev time...

I was quite surprised how quickly they pushed this game out from time of announcement to actual release

Berordn

Surely this game could have benefited with more dev time...

I was quite surprised how quickly they pushed this game out from time of announcement to actual release

Nintendo sits on announcements for years now to avoid the information droughts like they would do back in the day. A couple months to release from announcement is normal from them now. Not that there's no chance this wasn't a quick cash-in, considering how many assets it reuses, but until we get an official statement the short window doesn't mean much.

zroid

Banned
I like to keep the 3D at around half. This is unusual for me as I have cranked up the slider to max for every other 3DS game thus far.

The blur effect is okay, and I think it does a good job of making the foreground distinct from the background. But it's pretty lame when the background is so fuzzy you can barely see it at all. Half way is a good, compromising spot.

Teknoman

Not as fun as I thought it would be. Was hoping for a Rayman Origins treasure style level. Instead I got an easy level where you just run really fast.

Probably would have been better if it was abit longer. I think they'll probably have something similar to that in U with the Squirrel suits. At least, it seems like it would be a good idea...a somewhat fast paced section that involves gliding and bouncing off specific enemies.

I like to keep the 3D at around half. This is unusual for me as I have cranked up the slider to max for every other 3DS game thus far.

The blur effect is okay, and I think it does a good job of making the foreground distinct from the background. But it's pretty lame when the background is so fuzzy you can barely see it at all. Half way is a good, compromising spot.

Same here.

You're probably thinking of mechakoopas

Yup

180px-Mechakoopa.png

Kazerei

Banned
Dammit
star world
is so annoying. I've done everything except
getting all the moon coins
. I feel so close to the end, yet so far.

zethren

Banned

UmpOi.gif

I want this game so bad. Loved 3D Land, and it left me wanting more DS Mario. Next paycheck baby, next paycheck.

Just beat nsmb2. As of right now, i can only remember the mid bosses and last boss. Not one thing sticks with me other than that. Sadly one of the least interesting mario games ive yet to play. Brutal.

I feel I'm being harsh on the game, but a lot of it is my expectations. I just beat World 3-castle, and the level design is good for what it is. Solid placement of the buzzsaws, but nothing I didn't see in Super Mario World. I remember spin-jumping on top of buzzsaws in SMW. So it's like that, except I can't spin jump.

What this game is missing is the reason I always stick by Nintendo and defend their franchises. Even the subtle differences between Mario Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7 makes me feel as if each one is truly a unique game. From two-person karts to bikes and motion to gliders and underwater, Nintendo makes each game distinct in gameplay, which makes them memorable.

I always felt like I couldn't miss a mainline Mario game because I wanted to play the one with the cape and the dinosaurs or the one with the water jetpack or the one that fucks with gravity. Each one was truly its own beast, building the level design around the mechanics that made them different. Even Mario Sunshine, derided for being different, offers exactly what you're saying: something memorable.

NSMB2 isn't distinct, and because of that, it isn't memorable. It really just feels like NSMB DS: The Lost Levels.

Medalion

Banned
You don't have to feel ashamed cuz you didn't enjoy this game... call it for what it is. It was not made to blow your mind in levels... it was there to say... how fast can you get to 1 million coins.

jarosh

Nice. How long did it take you?
~13 hours

Oh and the 3D effects are awful too. All the 3D slider does is adjust the depth of field filter they put on the background. Nothing actually looks 3D.

Yeah... who'd a thunk a natively 2D game would have any 3D features... it's not even 2.5D... it just blurs the background

but the sparkly effects in the Castle levels are nice for this
Look, I'm no defender of the game's lack of creativity in terms of visual, audio or level design. I don't even like the excessive depth of field, but you guys are posting something that's flat out not true. There most certainly *is* depth to the backgrounds, the blur is added *on top* of the 3d effect. Plenty of backgrounds have both 3d objects and several parallax layers, all at different distances, and the depth increases with the slider. Not that any of this is mindblowing or groundbreaking stuff or that the 3d is anything special in the game.

- Two great new mechanics: (World 6 boss spoilers)
Flash-freeze effect from the flying Koopa Chariot, re-used in Star World

Been meaning to say something about this. This supposedly "new" mechanic, which, for the record, I quite enjoyed as well, was lifted straight from DKCR, where it appeared as waves crashing into the foreground. Only it was done much more creatively and explored more exhaustively.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
NSMB2 isn't distinct, and because of that, it isn't memorable. It really just feels like NSMB DS: The Lost Levels.

Don't you diss the lost levels by comparing it to NSMB2 like that. The lost levels might have been on the same engine with the same graphics and enemies, but they really pushed all of those things to the absolute limit. Things like Air bloopers, fake exits, finding hidden blocks as a requirement to use as a steping stone to continue. All that stuff was pretty cool even though it was the same mechanics.

That isn't really the case here in NSMB2 where the design is the part that is lacking.

"poor in creativity and good at fun" is such a stupid thing to say about this. Aren't the old SMB games still fun? Then why not play those games instead? Anyone that could say they are tired of all of the old SMB and NSMB games is going to say they are tired of this one before they even touch it, because without the creativity to make this something fresh, then there is no point to this game existing at all.

Top Bottom