• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

That's it, I'm speed running the levels to unlock my boy and then going back and doing everything proper.

I wish they would stop with this crap and just let the dude be selectable from the start.

plufim

I enjoyed the game, but the general aesthetic is quite long in tooth and the music is cancerous.
The music during the end credits is fantastic though!

I feel something as simple as unlockable art fir each coin total achievement would have gone a long way to justifying the collecting.

Do we have any indication yet of when we can expect the new levels?

Just 100% the game, it took around 20 hours. I still need to do that million coin thing but I plan on 100% the other 2 files so that will help.

Pineconn

Do we have any indication yet of when we can expect the new levels?

No idea when they will be released, but I recall Nintendo saying that they won't start making them until NSMB2 was released. So they might be designing them right around now. Or something.

EDIT:

Just 100% the game, it took around 20 hours. I still need to do that million coin thing but I plan on 100% the other 2 files so that will help.

Just copy the completed file to the other two slots. :)

You don't get too many coins in the regular game. You really have to play Coin Rush....

Other than the music, not sure I get why people are so down on this.

Levels design is great and it plays like Mario should.

How many 2D platforms are there these days? Rayman, indie stuff and crappy mobile games. It's good that Nintendo still makes games like this IMO.

MarkusRJR

Just beat the game for the first time. I have 78 star coins right now so I need 12 more till I can get to the star world. Does it count the coins I used in toad houses? If it doesn't, wouldn't it be theoretically super hard for someone if they went to all the toad houses?

Also, how do I get to the 2 secret worlds? I never figured out how to enter them in the original NSMB and I'm equally confused in NSMB2. :(

I think my favorite part of the game was the credits. I literally didn't realize I was able to play through the credits for the first 15 seconds and I was so surprised when I was able to control Mario. Little things like that make me love a game.

Vibed

Just beat the game for the first time. I have 78 star coins right now so I need 12 more till I can get to the star world. Does it count the coins I used in toad houses? If it doesn't, wouldn't it be theoretically super hard for someone if they went to all the toad houses?

Also, how do I get to the 2 secret worlds? I never figured out how to enter them in the original NSMB and I'm equally confused in NSMB2. :(

If you go to all the Mushroom Houses, you need to collect all but 9 of the Star coins to get to the Star World. So yeah, spending coins makes it harder to reach.

The secret worlds can be accessed by the cannons in Worlds 1 and 3. Find the secret exits in the
World 1 fortress and World 3 fortress

In the original you needed to beat the bosses of certain worlds with Mini Mario.

I think my favorite part of the game was the credits. I literally didn't realize I was able to play through the credits for the first 15 seconds and I was so surprised when I was able to control Mario. Little things like that make me love a game.

Every time you buy a toad house, it spends 5 of your coins. There's plenty of videos on Youtube showing you exactly how to access the optional 3 worlds. Trying to explain here probably wouldn't be as easy.

Chatin

After I beat World 6, I went back and unlocked all the Toad House routes just to do it. THEN I went to the Star World and I realized what I had done. At least it has me cleaning up the star coin for the other levels. I probably wouldn't have bothered.

also, kid icarus is nearly uncontrollable trash. it would have been a decent on-rails shooter, but sakurai lacks self-control.

I'm sorry you have a weak wrist and are unable to appreciate the GOTY.

So...how do I get 5 stars on the title screen? I have the two coin ones and the finish the game one.

xenoblade is a thousand times the game kid icarus will ever be. that's a game that shoves a shitload of content in your face and does it right.

Are you saying Kid Icarus has a lot of content but does it wrong? Is this as opposed to Xenoblade where a lot of the content, the veritable "shitload," is interchangeable monster hunt/fetch me ten rat pelt filler? Is that the correct way to do extra content? i cannot parse these cryptic comments please advise

Anyway, Mario. I thought this game would be boring and lame like the other two NSMB games, but it's pretty cool. I'm glad it was available digitally because I probably wouldn't have been able to muster up the energy to go purchase yet another entry in this mediocre sub-series. Fortunately, I had sufficient fun that it reinvigorated my love of video games after the fantastically boring Darksiders II crushed my spirits and made me into an avatar of hate.

The hunt for the star coins and secret exits in particular really hooked me. Their placement this time around was particularly fiendish. All of the reviews made it sound like some boring retread, but I don't think that's entirely fair. There are enough new ideas to go along with the secrets to make it worth checking out.

Holy Wars

Banned
I have three stars on my save file. I've opened up every path and completed every level with every coin, and every star world level. Why don't I have 4 stars? Any ideas of what to check? I tried the cannon levels and I've completed all them with no change. Do I have to use the Mushroom Houses?

AniHawk

Are you saying Kid Icarus has a lot of content but does it wrong? Is this as opposed to Xenoblade where a lot of the content, the veritable "shitload," is interchangeable monster hunt/fetch me ten rat pelt filler? Is that the correct way to do extra content? i cannot parse these cryptic comments please advise

you know how kid icarus is kinda like two games in one and one game is pretty all right, while the other, longer game is objectively awful? xenoblade is squarely focused on being one thing, and it has as much extra stuff as you want to do without forcing it on you. and this is on top of an already lengthy adventure that actually feels like you've gone places and done things.

xenoblade also has a lot of game systems it slowly brings into the fold over time. gem creation being one that doesn't happen until you're a few hours in. and that's on top of building links between characters and upgrading arts. it's a deep game that knows what it is. kid icarus is a confused mess that tries to confuse you into thinking it knows what it is by throwing a ton of shit at you.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Well for anyone that was wondering, if you get a 30,000 coin StreetPass tag, which is the maximum number of possible coins, even if you also get 30,000 against it, it doesn't count as a win (ties are not wins). So you don't get the victory in your stats, meaning if you try to beat every StreetPass tag you get, once you get tagged by a 30,000, that will be impossible!

Also you can't win the 1,000 coin "crown coin" from beating them.

The only positive I guess is that the first time you clear a tag in coin rush you get the total coins they had, so you'll get 30,000 coins for finishing it, but yep can never get that W.

CiNdL.jpg

Kazerei

Banned
I have three stars on my save file. I've opened up every path and completed every level with every coin, and every star world level. Why don't I have 4 stars? Any ideas of what to check? I tried the cannon levels and I've completed all them with no change. Do I have to use the Mushroom Houses?

No, you don't need to use the mushroom houses. Do you have zero coins remaining? Did you get all coins in the star levels?

You might be missing a secret exit from
3-B or 3-House. Both secret exits lead to 3-Castle, so one is kind of redundant.

Holy Wars

Banned
No, you don't need to use the mushroom houses. Do you have zero coins remaining? Did you get all coins in the star levels?

You might be missing a secret exit from
3-B or 3-House. Both secret exits lead to 3-Castle, so one is kind of redundant.

I have zero coins. I'll try the exits you mentioned.

E: ugh, I unlocked a new exit and that's still not enough. Is there a website with pictures of what the final maps should look like with all exits unlocked :(

Ee: got 1110 lives and got up to 4 stars. This game is trolling me. I went through every secret exit and I've done them all. Fuck Miyamoto.

Just need to get less than 500 lives and I'll have all five stars. Long way to go until I get 1mil coins

As for the game itself:

Definitely better than NSMB DS, but NSMB Wii is still better
SM3DL is better

eXistor

Once you get over the feeling of familiarity, the game really starts to shine. The level design is great and a lot of the levels actually feel very experimental. I personally love shortter levels that are packed with content and NSMB2 nails this aspect. You can race through the levels in seconds, but there's so much hidden stuff in every one you'd be a fool to do so. I wish there were a few more cannon levels though, those are fun as hell.

They should have made an endless cannon-mode, where you just have to go as far as you can. Make it randomly generated and you'd have an awesome bonus-mode.

But alas, that's the other aspect where the game kinda fails. It could have been so much more. Just the set-up alone, why not make it so that a sleep-spell has fallen over the mushroom kingdom and Mario has to jump inside the inhabitants dreams (which could be the different worlds/levels) and wake them up and when everyone is awake, the spell is broken and the seal to the final world is unlocked. Nothing special or too fancy, but this is something I thought of in seconds and simply a different set-up to the games would make them feel a lot fresher.

Such a shame Subcon hasn't been revisited, I always thought if they wanted to top Mario Galaxy in terms of pure creative level-design, they should turn to dreamworlds.

I find with each NSMB release they get better and better, I mean the levels are more unique, bit harder this time around, and utilizes the various power-ups in different ways. I beat it, unlocked every world, now all that's left is getting every stage via secret exit and some star coins, but I think I'll save the 100% complete goals till later like I did for Super Mario 3D Land, now it's time to beat Kingdom Hearts 3D after a decent break, and onto the Last Story!

Anyway the game is amazing, the reviews are really piss poor, which is a shame, one review said NSMB2 is feeling kinda old and stale, when it's the third release of a series in 6 years *intense stare* I mean Uncharted has 3 in a span of 4 and doesn't get this much flack... why can't we live in a world where people review games for what they are? This one is some of the best most well polished platforming levels ever, 7/10! (and I wouldn't bitch about a 7 if people didn't use 7 for average instead of using 5)

*sigh* oh well I'll be playing my *ahem* averagely amazing games! I know it's done to death but man I hate playing some games with amazing scores, even series I have enjoyed, and it's like the level designers quit and you... the gamer are left there wondering... where is my level design... this is all toooooo predictable, herpa derpa I go around this corner and oh look an more open looking room wonder how I'm going to be jumped this time! Then 6 hours later its over and they want you to play a tacked on multi :\ please sir, just give me the level design of the last game, I swear I'll buy it! ... please? Oh well no use bitching, just gotta get that out of my system a bit. Love the game, hope everyone else is loving it too.

They should make the credits it's own mode, run back through the stages in reverse carrying peach, one hit will kill you so you got to do it carefully.

Id play it

Echoes

Anyway the game is amazing, the reviews are really piss poor, which is a shame, one review said NSMB2 is feeling kinda old and stale, when it's the third release of a series in 6 years *intense stare* I mean Uncharted has 3 in a span of 4 and doesn't get this much flack... why can't we live in a world where people review games for what they are? This one is some of the best most well polished platforming levels ever, 7/10! (and I wouldn't bitch about a 7 if people didn't use 7 for average instead of using 5)

Though I didn't like the game as much, I hate it when people complain that Nintendo is milking Mario. I wrote a piece yesterday but it's in Arabic, so here's a good summary:

Mario 2D is different than Mario 3D, I know people reading this thread knows this for a fact, but a lot don't. It's like getting annoyed that Capcom is releasing SF4 and MvC3. Level design (which is the meat of any platformer for me) is radically different between 2D and 3D Mario.

In the last 8 years, Nintendo released 8 Mario games. Then, take Mario's prime time -- his debut -- for comparison: from 1985 to 1993, 8 years period, Nintendo released 8 Mario games as well. We used to friggin' drool over every Mario release back then, so I don't understand the hate now.

NSMB is the first handheld 2D Mario in 14 years, NSMB Wii is the first console 2D Mario in 14 years, and 3D Land is the 2nd 3D handheld Mario and came 8 years after Super Mario 64 DS. Just because we have frequent Mario games doesn't really mean Nintendo is milking it. I couldn't be happier with how Nintendo is handling the Mario platformers -- probably the only thing they mishandled so far is releasing two 2D Mario games in a short(er than usual) span of time. The only game that let me down so far is NSMB 2, though I'm beginning to enjoy Coin Rush mode.

I totally understand when some say they dislike the aesthetics; they've been using it for years, and the lack of new music (etc) is annoying, but I wouldn't say Nintendo is milking it. That's just plain ignorance.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm enjoying this game more than I thought I would and I would definitely say it's good/great, but the more I play this the more I realize what an absolute masterpiece SML 3D is.

Socreges

Banned
Three (shiny) stars on my profile. Not sure which exits I'm missing. Weird. Don't think I'll bother with the 1100 lives star. I'm a completionist but I don't see the point with that one.

I find with each NSMB release they get better and better, I mean the levels are more unique, bit harder this time around, and utilizes the various power-ups in different ways. I beat it, unlocked every world, now all that's left is getting every stage via secret exit and some star coins, but I think I'll save the 100% complete goals till later like I did for Super Mario 3D Land, now it's time to beat Kingdom Hearts 3D after a decent break, and onto the Last Story!

*sigh* oh well I'll be playing my *ahem* averagely amazing games! I know it's done to death but man I hate playing some games with amazing scores, even series I have enjoyed, and it's like the level designers quit and you... the gamer are left there wondering... where is my level design... this is all toooooo predictable, herpa derpa I go around this corner and oh look an more open looking room wonder how I'm going to be jumped this time! Then 6 hours later its over and they want you to play a tacked on multi : please sir, just give me the level design of the last game, I swear I'll buy it! ... please? Oh well no use bitching, just gotta get that out of my system a bit. Love the game, hope everyone else is loving it too.
Many reviewers are giving NSMB2 lower scores because it's kinda like a level-pack being sold for $40 (unless you're in Australia!). Just seems like Nintendo basically handed an existing 'NSMB kit' off to some young developers and asked them to make some new levels. Oh and throw coins everywhere and tell gamers to go for a million. If they ask why, just wink at them. If any of them actually reach a million and complain, do not respond to their emails... The music is also very repetitive and in some cases flat out bad. And unfortunately there's very little challenge to be had apart from finding some secret exits and struggling with some deviously placed/hidden coins. I couldn't believe that
I went through Star-2 all the way to Star-7 and got every single moon coin without dying once or even having to replay a level. That's when I expected the game to finally make me work for it and... nada. At least Star-Castle was kinda tough.
On top of that Nintendo didn't really do anything to utilize the 3D apart from some background effects. Lazy.

you know how kid icarus is kinda like two games in one and one game is pretty all right, while the other, longer game is objectively awful?

You know, I agree with you on some things 100%, but this statement is a crime against humanity and should have you tried in the Hague.

Uprising is essentially "Smash Bros: The Third Person Shooter" and is fucking amazing. The flight sections are objectively worse and likely only exist because Sakurai knew everyone expected Pit to fly, and are only there to SHOW DA GRAFIX.

I mained DS last generation, so stylus controls never bothered me, and I got one of the best experiences I've had in gaming in a decade.

Xenoblade is pretty good too.

nmanma

Thought this was relevant to this thread. At the very least it's funny imo

About Kid Icarus, I loved both parts :/
Also, I thought the controls were perfect for third person games, even if they took a while to get used to (like dual sticks at least in my case) and I wish more games used it. Loved the speed and accuracy that the controls offered

xenoblade is a thousand times the game kid icarus will ever be. that's a game that shoves a shitload of content in your face and does it right.

Xenoblade doesn't do the "shitload of content" thing better than Kid Icarus. In Xenoblade, 99% of the content is just useless sidequest shit that goes on forever.

daakusedo

Please, stop the off-topic and let's talk about NSMB2, the game that is better than 3d land.
I'm also stuck with four shiny stars...

plufim

Is it possible to get 5 shiny stars you had to be good enough to have never had the super tanooki suit appear? Or at least never use it?

Javier

Is it possible to get 5 shiny stars you had to be good enough to have never had the super tanooki suit appear? Or at least never use it?
You lose the Shiny Stars if the Super Tanooki block appears, but you get the Shiny Stars back by beating the level you got the Super Tanooki block normally, so this game is considerably less punishing than NSMBWii and SM3DL in that regard.

I hated NSMB1 and Wii, and found SM3DL to be really boring. But I love NSMB2. Easily the best Mario in a decade, besides Galaxy 2.

Damn it now I want the game now. Our taste is similar so maybe I could enjoy this game afterall! What made you like this game more than the others. Did it have to do with challenge and level design?

AniHawk

Xenoblade doesn't do the "shitload of content" thing better than Kid Icarus. In Xenoblade, 99% of the content is just useless sidequest shit that goes on forever.

well my point is all the extra system stuff and bonus things like missions and sidequests all reinforce the same single point (going on a big-long adventure) while kid icarus's extra stuff reinforces shooting things but also slashing things sometimes.

when i say content, i do refer mainly to the main part of the game. xenoblade is a long, long game on its own, and it feels satisfying without ever straying from itself. kid icarus is just messy and sloppy throughout.

You know, I agree with you on some things 100%, but this statement is a crime against humanity and should have you tried in the Hague.

Uprising is essentially "Smash Bros: The Third Person Shooter" and is fucking amazing. The flight sections are objectively worse and likely only exist because Sakurai knew everyone expected Pit to fly, and are only there to SHOW DA GRAFIX.

I mained DS last generation, so stylus controls never bothered me, and I got one of the best experiences I've had in gaming in a decade.

Xenoblade is pretty good too.

no the bad parts are the land missions. aside from being bad level design, it's nearly impossible to control, especially in the really really bad levels like chapter 21.

fifteen waves of enemies? DOES THE FUN EVER START!?

no the bad parts are the land missions. aside from being bad level design, it's nearly impossible to control, especially in the really really bad levels like chapter 21.

fifteen waves of enemies? DOES THE FUN EVER START!?

I will agree that chapter 21 is terrible and the exo tank is trash all the way though. However I have to disagree on your opinion overall. By replaying the levels on the most difficult scale I learned to appreciate the levels more (Pandoras is one of my favourites, both flight and land). They always add a new twist or mechanic as the chapters go on. My favourite 3ds game after Mario Kart 7.

bumpkin

Well for anyone that was wondering, if you get a 30,000 coin StreetPass tag, which is the maximum number of possible coins, even if you also get 30,000 against it, it doesn't count as a win (ties are not wins). So you don't get the victory in your stats, meaning if you try to beat every StreetPass tag you get, once you get tagged by a 30,000, that will be impossible!

Also you can't win the 1,000 coin "crown coin" from beating them.

The only positive I guess is that the first time you clear a tag in coin rush you get the total coins they had, so you'll get 30,000 coins for finishing it, but yep can never get that W
The better question is how in the holy hell do you get 30,000? My best for that particular "pack" has been just shy of 4,000.

storafötter;41454185 said:
Damn it now I want the game now. Our taste is similar so maybe I could enjoy this game afterall! What made you like this game more than the others. Did it have to do with challenge and level design?

It's not particularly challenging, but I really like the return of flying witht he raccoon tail, and the vertically of the levels. It's the first Mario game in forever where you can just fly up into the sky and find something new. There is a lot more to explore, even if in the end I wish there was more to the levels.

It is a much better love letter to SMB3 than 3D Land was.

And collecting coins is a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

It's not particularly challenging, but I really like the return of flying witht he raccoon tail, and the vertically of the levels. It's the first Mario game in forever where you can just fly up into the sky and find something new. There is a lot more to explore, even if in the end I wish there was more to the levels.

It is a much better love letter to SMB3 than 3D Land was.

And collecting coins is a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

Well I guess I should give the game a chance then as it sounds very tempting. Yeah I wasn't so fond of 3D lands attempt on throwbacks. I do miss experimenting with flying like in the old days. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My game icon for some reason started showing a spotpass icon yet I have no idea what it is for. This is after the 50billion coin message.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So far I feel NSMB2 actually has fantastic and creative level design. Can't get the comments that it is 'boring'. In fact, the level design bears out a notion I had when reading the Iwata Asks related to its development. The new blood they brought in are people of the age to be real Mario fans, not people who predate Mario itself and didn't grow up with it.

Due to that, I wondered if the new team would approach it in the sense of "It always would have been fun and cool if this idea in SMB3 or Mario World had been expanded on..."

And IMO that's exactly what NSMB2 is like. It's not as sloppy as a fan game because the 'kids' went through professional training before being allowed to make the game, and had experienced producers looking over their shoulders. But it really is a love letter to SMB3 and World, regardless of whether or not it surpasses them. And the stages are a lot more devious, much of the time, than anything in NSMB or NSMB Wii. Stuff is hidden better. It's really fun to replay stages and figure out better ways of attacking them. The coin part does come into play, if you get into collecting them. I could see the levels not exciting you, if the coins are irrelevant.

kid icarus is a confused mess that tries to confuse you into thinking it knows what it is by throwing a ton of shit at you.

Can't disagree more. Kid Icarus is designed to be played, replayed and played some more. Not beaten once in a linear manner while ideas spaced out gradually. Two very different kinds of game design.

I could understand Kid Icarus seeming confusing at first glance, but it is one of the most robust and well designed games I've played in years

Anteo

This game is fantastic. The coin rush mode is adictive and the desing is really good, is not as good as Super Mario 3D Land though. I finished this game on the weekend and I'm now collecting all the coins. I still have to get acces to the hidden worlds.

Also...

Can't disagree more. Kid Icarus is designed to be played, replayed and played some more. Not beaten once in a linear manner while ideas spaced out gradually. Two very different kinds of game design.

I could understand Kid Icarus seeming confusing at first glance, but it is one of the most robust and well designed games I've played in years

Agreed! I replayed stages a lot before moving on to the next one. I stopped doing that after that one chapter though.

I liked the air part of ch21, the ground part felt like they had designed to stress and tire the player on purpose.

daakusedo

Those 30k run videos on youtube, so lazy.
When people know they already got the score they just stop taking coins and go to the end.
Breaking the score limit would be really wise if not already planned.

Velcro Fly

I'm through World 4 right now.

I have messed around with coin rush a little bit but mostly just stuck with the main game.

It is pretty fun but for some reason I'm only playing in short bursts.

I've been going back and getting all star coins for worlds as I finish them. I'm only missing one in World 4 and that I need a mini mushroom to get.

I'm really enjoying the game and think it definitely beats the DS game in terms of quality. I really wish some of the castle levels were better. NSMBW really has a few memorable castle levels that are fun and tough.

Top Bottom