• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

And NSMB Wii added a four player mode which worked very well.

I wonder if the GamePad for the 5th player will have other uses than what we saw at E3. After the Rayman showcase, they may have greenlighted other concepts they worked on.

What? The general consensus is that 4-players is nigh unplayable. I played it once, and all we accomplished was that we were laughing at how much we ended up killing each other.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
And NSMB Wii added a four player mode which worked very well.

I wonder if the GamePad for the 5th player will have other uses than what we saw at E3. After the Rayman showcase, they may have greenlighted other concepts they worked on.

I doubt it, Ubisoft would sure be pissed as hell. Also playing as Murphy in Rayman is so much more fun than being the Assist Player in Mario. I really think Rayman Legends is by far the best showcase for asymmetric multiplayer so far.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I did w3-A this morning and really enjoyed it. Might be my favorite swimming level of all Marios

GREAT choice mate

GREAT Soundtrack at least, unfortunately it's kind of like NSMB2, more of the same, except NMB2 has the gameplay to back it up and despite its best efforts de Blob 2 still falters somewhat even if it's better than the original.
Okay side tangent over.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I find it kind of funny that the coin block head piece appears in spots that discourage running. Why run and dodge when you can swing back and forth on a vine or bounce up and down and get maximum moolah.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
really liking world 3. feels pretty fresh. Love the cannon stages as well.

i don't really get the complaints about this game actually, it's a really fun mario game.

DjRoomba

Banned
Just spent the last couple hours in Coin Rush, my misgivings about this mode have disappeared for the most part. This is a lot of fun, and definitely puts the 1,000,000 in a realistic reach.

My current best is 22,854 which seems good but I imagine players have already found a way to get 999,999 coins or some such.

So... DLC is going to be like a Banana Pack, five stages and it chooses three of them, and probably be like $8 right? Are we feeling that? I'm not sure I'm feeling it.

DLC will be either crazy levels or throwbacks to orginal super mario bros or SMB2 or something like that. Thats what I would think. Nintendo wouldnt make you pay for more of the same with their first DLC experiment.

nmanma

Maybe we approached the game differently but I had fun with the coin gimmick. The mere fact of putting a coin tally gave me an incentive to try to catch more to compete with myself, and a lot of them fall into three categories: 1)reward for exploring 2)reward for a platforming challenge (red coins were usually like that, and there's a part in the sky of the penultimate stage of the cloud world with a few coins but I have no idea how to get there without the invincible mario, I'm enjoying the puzzle of getting there normally) 3)reward for trying to think where the devs might have put some coin "switches", places where if you stand there coins will appear nearby. It makes the game feel warmer, like a challenge to see if you can guess what the devs would think, like in the donkey kong games

I felt that the lives had two upsides to them, its sheer amount made me comfortable with trying dangerous/cool stunts to see if I could, and acted as a sort of tally of the coins I got. Where it really shines is on the coin rush mode, though

About the first paragraph, the first two aspects I enjoy on their own without the need of a reason or objective, but it's nice to get some kind of reward out of it. For the third aspect

If they actually made coins useful to get then I totally do think that the theme of coins could have worked great. But it all completely falls apart when they decided to make coins mean absolutely nothing to most sane people.

That's probably it? :p I don't know, I like it when a game showcases the minds of the humans that made them, that's why I hate puzzle games with randomly generated puzzles.

Anyway, here's how you make the coin collecting a worthwhile mechanic - have a fourth star coin which you only get after collecting over a certain number of coins in a level. Problem solved.

Ahh I would have loved that, and make the coins unlock videos with hints for the secrets, kinda like nsmbwii, but less spoilery

What? The general consensus is that 4-players is nigh unplayable. I played it once, and all we accomplished was that we were laughing at how much we ended up killing each other.

Exactly why 4p platforming is the best thing to come out of nsmbwii, besides homing bullet bills. Nsmbwii's let's plays are hilarious

BowieZ

Banned
Once you've collected every star coin, it should open up a special mode for advanced players, where you have to collect 3 star coins + a certain amount of coins - IN ONE GO - per level.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
The level design is getting a bit better in world 3, I like it so far

World 3-A, what's the point of going up that blocked off pipe at the top of the screen near the end?
Jeez, you got me curious and I went there. You need a mini mushroom available in the touch screen to get there but once you finally do it's just a lot of blocks and two hidden one ups. Nothing else :/ I think maybe you can find some way to convert the blocks into coins but even then it's not that much

Unless I missed something it's a waste of time to get there

Andrew J.

Jeez, you got me curious and I went there. You need a mini mushroom available in the touch screen to get there but once you finally do it's just a lot of blocks and two hidden one ups. Nothing else :/ I think maybe you can find some way to convert the blocks into coins but even then it's not that much

You can get a mini mushroom on the touch screen?

Can anyone give me a list of the levels with secret exits in them WITHOUT spoiling the locations of the secret exits, please? I just don't have the patience like I used to to explore every inch of every level in a Mario game.

Put it in spoiler tags, obviously.

bluehat9

Yeah, I did the same thing...I think you're just supposed to get the gold flower out of the box that rotates through different items right before the pipe to get more coins, lol. I even switched back to the raccoon suit and broke every block in there thinking something would happen, but nope.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Yeah, I did the same thing...I think you're just supposed to get the gold flower out of the box that rotates through different items right before the pipe to get more coins, lol. I even switched back to the raccoon suit and broke every block in there thinking something would happen, but nope.
Ah yeah, has to be that, the golden flower for just coins then

the very last
Moon
Coin is getting me in the arse

so many Marios lost...so many

It seems to be so reliant on when you start progressing towards it
due to the timing of the koopaling's flash and the position of the moving platform
Best bet is to try timing your start of that section differently.

Ridley327

the very last
Moon

That's a really good one to have Raccoon Mario work on. The problem isn't getting the coin, really; it's landing back on the block snake and then making sure the Koopalings don't petrify you while doing it.
That said, I honestly thought the second coin in the world six castle was more challenging, if only because you have close-to-zero margin of error to work with.

I was surprised at how much of a breeze the Star World was, outside of the castle level. I honestly felt that most of the earlier levels were far more challenging.

Kazerei

Banned
the very last
Moon

I think if you rush as fast as possible,
you can jump from the front of the snake block to the grate, grab the coin, and drop straight down to the end of the snake block, all without getting hit by that annoying razor.
Took me like 50 tries, but when I finally pulled it off I was amazed I didn't get hurt, and still had like half a second leeway.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
got it!

I just put myself on the edge of the platform, which triggered the Koopaling's flash about one second less (or so it seems) than I was previously getting, giving me enough room to get the bloody bastard. Thanks for the advice y'all :)

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
one question to you guys before I buy this game when I get paid...

hows the replay value on this game?? I got SML 3D and its replay value was amazing so Im wondering if its the same or better than SML 3D

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

hows the replay value on this game?? I got SML 3D and its replay value was amazing so Im wondering if its the same or better than SML 3D

unless you're interested in the Coin Rush mode, there's almost zero reason to replay it...

although nine worlds should be enough. I just finished it and clocked 23 hours, finding all Star Coins/ secret exits. Absolutely satisfied with the game

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Well for me replay value in 3D Land came from Streetpass so I'll have to wait and see how NSMB2 does in this department. In theory it should be good fun.

So I'm enjoying NSMB 2, but would it have killed Nintendo to give us more than like one new piece of music? Playing through this new game and hearing all old music is really weird, and it just screams of laziness on Nintendo's part.

tuffy

So I'm enjoying NSMB 2, but would it have killed Nintendo to give us more than like one new piece of music? Playing through this new game and hearing all old music is really weird, and it just screams of laziness on Nintendo's part.
That's the one thing that really bugs me. I like the intentionally fuzzy backgrounds, the controls are tight, the levels are well designed, and it's easy to spot what everything is onscreen. But using the same familiar background tunes so dominantly makes the game feel more repetitive than it is.

zroid

Banned
I think I might need to bail, everyone's getting a little loosey goosey about spoilers as the days pass D:

Even the spoiler tagged stuff is becoming easier to infer.

Mistle

Yeah I agree. I'm really enjoying the game, but the music is very disappointing. It's not bad, it's just that I've heard it all before.

zroid

Banned
Oh, I can weigh in on co-op a little, finally. Got a chance to play it with my cousins last night. Basically, it's alright.

Having only two players makes it significantly less madcap than four player NSMB Wii, so despite the smaller (and single) field of view, we didn't have much trouble staying together when we wanted to.

Of course, at other times we tried playing it a bit more competitively, with frequent butt stomping and rushing on ahead. This was mildly fun in its own way, although the game definitely plays better when you're not trying to screw over your buddy.

I remain of the opinion that splitting the two players' screens up is not the magical solution that everyone thinks it is. This would encourage you to not "play nice", and the person in the lead would have all the fun, while the lagging player suffers through an already-played level. This is, quite simply, not good design.

I fear that overall NSMB2 is just not a great fit for co-operative play; there is no good alternative, barring creating special two player levels which include obstacles that need to be passed in pairs. If the two players do work together, it's not a bad experience, but it really doesn't enhance it in any way.

AniHawk

well took all the shortcuts to the end of the game, and i have to say, this is one fine, fine mario game. it's what nsmb ds should have been, although it's not as good as nsmbw (although i did skip most of the levels).

of all the mario games you can play on the 3ds, this is the best one. and thank god, because my 3ds was craving a good, new game, especially after kid icarus failed to uprise.

AniHawk

Well technically I can play Yoshi's Island on mine :p

Seriously though, this game pales in comparison to 3D Land.
It's not even close.

technically, yoshi's island is a yoshi game and not a mario game, since you play as yoshi. it's not like yoshi's touch & go is a mario game, or that wario land is a mario game.

and super mario 3d land: the game that made you play a tutorial for eight worlds before it ever decided to get somewhat difficult. and at least nsmb2 uses the tanooki suit correctly. it was totally wasted in 3d land.

you're weird

there's the super mario 64 remake that barely works, the original nsmb, the boring-as-shit 3d land, and then nsmb2: our intellectual superior.

also, kid icarus is nearly uncontrollable trash. it would have been a decent on-rails shooter, but sakurai lacks self-control.

fine, tanooki/raccoon tail. not that the tanooki suit was used correctly in 3d land.

It got the statue part right at least. I did like that the flying was brought back in this game but didn't find much use for it. There were only a couple of places I can remember that seemed designed for it.

This doesn't even make the top 10 of Mario games on my 3DS (counting DS titles). It's not a horrible game, but it's pretty much the definition of mediocrity(by Nintendo's standards). The review average on this is pretty much dead-on.

Ghost23

I'm really feeling a platformer right now, and I've narrowed it down to either Mutant Mudds or NSMB2. Obviously one is way cheaper than the other, but I have heard that Mutant Mudds is pretty short, and there really isn't much variety to it. What would GAF recommend?

Drago

I'm really feeling a platformer right now, and I've narrowed it down to either Mutant Mudds or NSMB2. Obviously one is way cheaper than the other, but I have heard that Mutant Mudds is pretty short, and there really isn't much variety to it. What would GAF recommend?
NSMB2

Do try to get Mutant Mudds later on though, there's a demo for it if you want to try it

Ghost23

NSMB2

Do try to get Mutant Mudds later on though, there's a demo for it if you want to try it

I've already played the demo, and it was really fun, but it just seems the same throughout all the levels. It is only $9 though compared to $40.

Top Bottom