• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

Have a gold flower and go to 4-Castle and go to town on the two spiked balls that fall from the top
Each spike ball only gives 5 coin each not really worth it. Other than abusing the Infinite trick in Mushroom-1, the most coin-effective thing I've found so far is getting a Gold Flower, running all the way to the end of World 1-1, blasting the Goomba Tower (plus the few other Goombas and such in the way) with a fireball to take them all out in one hit, running back over to the Warp Pipe to the secret area a bit to the left, immediately dropping back down, and repeating, for about ~300 coins for each repetition, which barely takes any time at all even with getting a bit sloppy on timing your jumps on the music blocks well:
8kmsv.png

Man goddamn I'm loving this game. Finished normal worlds through W4, and am currently working my way though
flower world.
Every star coin collected thus far and at 409 lives.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Ok the 3D at
bowser battle
was pretty amazing, all the more shame they fucked up during the rest of the game. Actual 3D instead of 2D backgrounds wouldve been so good

Velcro Fly

Completed the first six worlds with all star coins in 8 hours of play. Sitting on around 40k coins right now. Still have the rest of the game to complete and of course the million coins and coin rush. Not bad.

Again, what are some coin rush level combos that yield 30k coin scores?

Mush-1 to whatever. Doesn't matter too much since you can rake up the necessary amount within that first stage alone. But I guess you'd want your second stage to have an easy way to grab the flag pole

Star-1 to Star 3, since there's an additional gold flower in these stages, which helps in case you need to pick up the slack if your coin total before the 2x multiple is under 3750 coins. Just don't activate the gold flower immediately into Star 3 because you need tanooki suit to get the other flower. Third stage is irrelevent. Unlike the Mushroom Pack run, you need to move fast, so you can't afford to screw up. Plus there's only 3 opportunities to do the Shell trick, so don't screw anything up. The big issue overall is the flag pole since it's a pain to get to.

22:23 for 100 percent plus 1 million coins + addition 59 minutes speed running, with 30,000 on each pack. Think I'm done.

Mush-1 to whatever. Doesn't matter too much since you can rake up the necessary amount within that first stage alone. But I guess you'd want your second stage to have an easy way to grab the flag pole

Star-1 to Star 3, since there's an additional gold flower in these stages, which helps in case you need to pick up the slack if your coin total before the 2x multiple is under 3750 coins. Just don't activate the gold flower immediately into Star 3 because you need tanooki suit to get the other flower. Third stage is irrelevent. Unlike the first stage, you need to move fast, so you can't afford to screw up. Plus there's only 3 opportunities to do the Shell trick, so don't screw anything up. The big issue overall is the flag pole since it's a pain to get to.

22:23 for 100 percent plus 1 million coins + addition 59 minutes speed running, with 30,000 on each pack. Think I'm done.

Thanks! Will have to experiment with some of these.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So what was the Spotpass data from last night? All I got was the "50 billion coins collected" announcement but there's a still a blue Spotpass icon blinking on the game icon?

It's weird. It's just a coin total announcement, but it's before the title screen so you have to restart the game to see it.

Chopper

Okay, so I hear there's a secret exit on 5-Ghost. I don't necessarily want to be told where it is, but if anyone can tell me if I need any specific power-ups or something...

It's weird. It's just a coin total announcement, but it's before the title screen so you have to restart the game to see it.

Yeah, last night I accidentally skipped past it while jamming the A button to start the game. Pretty borIng and pointless considering it was already covered by the note in the Spotpass inbox. I don't understand Nintendo's reluctance to just add a simple leaderboard of some kind.

The game just needs its own online menu, where am I gonna go to access my DLC later? Will we just have to assume it's there after downloading then sort through our coin rush files manually or what? We need a patch.

Just got this second hand. I've erased their save game and started fresh, but it seems to have retained their coin total on the title screen.

Is there any way I can erase this?

Edit - Found it. Hold A, B, X and Y after 3DS logo disappears.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Finally collected every coin and finished every level in the game. It feels like New Super Mario Bros. Wii. And that's a good thing. It's much easier than that game though --I managed to find every coin very easily, and not even the special levels get as hard as some of the regular levels in its predecessor.

That said... Nintendo needs to do something to vary it up a little. It's no longer been a bajillion years on the last 2D Mario, so you cannot keep relying on nostalgia to sell your titles. I bitch a lot about how every FPS is the same game over and over again, but Nintendo is pulling the same crap on Mario. Great level design is great, but this title has been an eye opener regarding how aesthetics and packaging can be a great refresher. Why not pull out levels inspired by Isle Delfino, or even Galaxy-theme ones? Even Super Mario Land 2 had a space level! And that was very cool back then! Mario is not a series lacking on setting variety. Nintendo should find ways to play up with the formula.

Super Mario Bros. 3 > New Super Mario Bros. Wii > Super Mario World > New Super Mario Bros. 2 > Super Mario Bros. > The Lost Levels > New Super Mario Bros.

P.S. 3D up the max is stupid. Why the fuck does it blur the background?

I got the game a few days ago. On World 4. REALLY enjoying it.

But the 3D is pointless and sucks.

Im also a glutten for finding secrets and havent found any to access the hidden levels I see on world map :( These are well hidden!

I bitch a lot about how every FPS is the same game over and over again, but Nintendo is pulling the same crap on Mario. Great level design is great, but this title has been an eye opener regarding how aesthetics and packaging can be a great refresher.

The problem is way more than the aesthetics. It's the mechanics.

2D Mario has had the same triple jump, the same wall kick, the same butt stomp, basically the same physics, etc. for 3 straight games. And of course, modifications are done via suits.

Then we expect that all the challenge will be from getting the three Star Coins. And we have to hit the flagpole to signify the end of the level.

Look at what DK94 did. All those new moves informed how the levels were built. Same with the mechanics of SMB2 USA. When the Raccoon suit was new and not stale, that changed things up. Same with the different Yoshi's in SMW. These innovations in the series made the games play differently, not just look differently.

What's missing is new game mechanics, even more than new art design. Without changing anything relating to how Mario controls and plays in his world, there's only so much they can do to build levels around the same moveset with the same three Star Coins while remaining fresh.

Somnid

The problem is way more than the aesthetics. It's the mechanics.

2D Mario has had the same triple jump, the same wall kick, the same butt stomp, basically the same physics, etc. for 3 straight games. And of course, modifications are done via suits.

Then we expect that all the challenge will be from getting the three Star Coins. And we have to hit the flagpole to signify the end of the level.

Look at what DK94 did. All those new moves informed how the levels were built. Same with the mechanics of SMB2 USA. When the Raccoon suit was new and not stale, that changed things up. Same with the different Yoshi's in SMW. These innovations in the series made the games play differently, not just look differently.

What's missing is new game mechanics, even more than new art design. Without changing anything relating to how Mario controls and plays in his world, there's only so much they can do to build levels around the same moveset with the same three Star Coins while remaining fresh.

That's where Coin Rush mode comes in. It's this dedicated speed run mode where you realize all the levels contain all sorts of tricks based off the new mechanics to net you more coins.

Jarsonot

Just wanna say I like the 3D effect in this game, it's different. I almost always play with 3D at full, but this game made me turn it down to enjoy. I don't know why, but I appreciate the fact that the slider matters. It's not just "on" or "off."

Also it shows third-party developers that 3D doesn't have to be hugely implemented. Nintendo used it as a toss-away in one of their own freaking Mario games! So go ahead, develop anything, and just throw 3D backgrounds in or whatever. Maybe that'll stop developers from potentially not porting because they "couldn't think of anything creative" to do with the 3D.

Blurry background is done to simulate depth of field. If you are focusing on something in the foreground, it totally makes sense to blur stuff in the distance.

Also, it looks cool.

I like it. Having said that, I usually have the slider about 1/3 to 1/2 way up. A nice balance between depth of field and detail, IMO.

That's where Coin Rush mode comes in. It's this dedicated speed run mode where you realize all the levels contain all sorts of tricks based off the new mechanics to net you more coins.

New Mechanic, the Gold Flower at least. Everything else pretty much goes use mechanic found in SMB1 to maximize the profit. CR isn't really enough.

Furthermore I like how New Mechanics are being brought up, and yet they're not even being utilized to its fullest in the NSMB games. It just feels like they're there.

A bit disappointed in how the game save progress works in Co-op.

Just got my 2 copies for my fiancée and I tonight and I started a brand new game under co-op and I chose to play as Mario. I had not played any of the single player.
We played until we beat the first Castle in World 1 and saved.

Now I can go and choose Single player and can resume my progress made in co-op by myself if I wish to.

However when my fiancée chooses single player she only has the option for "New Game" and has to start from the very beginning again which she's not too happy about.

I checked the Instruction Manual accessible in game from the 3DS and it appears Luigi progress is NOT saved and only the total coins collected is saved on both systems. Kind of sucks.. I was hoping that somehow the save would be kept in sync somehow. But I guess progress made by one player in single player would be different to the other player. So it's not really feasible.

YESSSSS!!!! I FINALLY GOT 5 SHINY STARS IN THIS GAME! :D
Not gonna bother with a million coins though. -_-

IMG_3645.jpg

This has got to be the fastest I've 100%'d a Mario platformer ever. Man this game was short.

Chopper

IMG_3645.jpg

This has got to be the fastest I've 100%'d a Mario platformer ever. Man this game was short.
Just done this myself. My coin total is double yours though, so must have taken me longer.

I actually loved every second of it.

About to venture into Coin Rush mode for the first time. Anything I need to know?

Just done this myself. My coin total is double yours though, so must have taken me longer.

I actually loved every second of it.

About to venture into Coin Rush mode for the first time. Anything I need to know?

While there's some coin rush tips hidden out in the thread, I would suggest using your base knowledge first to scope out how to gain coins. Other than that, Top of the flag pole doubles your coin worth, killing a boss also doubles your coins. First stage matters the most in terms of generating profit, but second one is usually to pick up the slack and easy flag pole grabbing. Final stage doesn't matter in the slightest, as it only has the pick up the slack you're missing out on.

Chopper

While there's some coin rush tips hidden out in the thread, I would suggest using your base knowledge first to scope out how to gain coins. Other than that, Top of the flag pole doubles your coin worth, killing a boss also doubles your coins. First stage matters the most in terms of generating profit, but second one is usually to pick up the slack and easy flag pole grabbing. Final stage doesn't matter in the slightest, as it only has the pick up the slack you're missing out on.
Thanks. I just gave it a shot. How the flying fuck do people get 30,000. I'm lucky to get 1,000. Which packs are best? Golden Flower is better than Raccoon Mario, right?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I got the game a few days ago. On World 4. REALLY enjoying it.

But the 3D is pointless and sucks.

Im also a glutten for finding secrets and havent found any to access the hidden levels I see on world map :( These are well hidden!

some are indeed well hidden. I always end up with, like, 30 seconds left because I'm so exploring the environments, entering every pipe etc :p

Thanks. I just gave it a shot. How the flying fuck do people get 30,000. I'm lucky to get 1,000. Which packs are best? Golden Flower is better than Raccoon Mario, right?

You do it by getting 3500ish points on the first level, then hit every single pole-top to double the score 3 times.

Much better. The invincibility will instantly kill an enemy and therefore you can't really harvest them for coins.

You can get 30,000 on all levels, but Flower is probably the hardest to muster the necessary amount of coins due to methods involved on the best stage possible, whereas Star is more difficult due to the flag pole being a bitch to get to because the platforms are awkwardly set up, and puts more stress onto you, so consistency is the main issue.

Mushroom is obviously the easiest since flagpoles are easy to get to, and has a couple stages that can net you the gold.

IMG_3645.jpg

Can someone confirm that that is what the "shiny" stars look like? That's what I have, never used the cheat suit, but I'm sure the previous games had animated "shinies" over the stars.

Are they just a duller colour if you used the suit? I'd start a second file to check myself but I'm neck-deep in coins here. ;)

Can someone confirm that that is what the "shiny" stars look like? That's what I have, never used the cheat suit, but I'm sure the previous games had animated "shinies" over the stars.

Are they just a duller colour if you used the suit? I'd start a second file to check myself but I'm neck-deep in coins here. ;)

I don't have the game, but from what I've heard, like in New Super Mario Bros, Wii, if you even see the cheat suit, you become disqualified if you save your game. So at any point in the the game, if you lost more than 5 (I think) lives without making progress, then saved your game, you don't shine get.

Drago

I don't have the game, but from what I've heard, like in New Super Mario Bros, Wii, if you even see the cheat suit, you become disqualified if you save your game. So at any point in the the game, if you lost more than 5 (I think) lives without making progress, then saved your game, you don't shine get.

However, you can get the shine back by replaying the level where you found the super suit, and beat it without the suit showing up.

Got my shine back that way

No they actually shine/shimmer/sparkle every few seconds. It's a photo so you can't see it happening.

And in this game, as long as you don't use it, you get the shiny stars. I've had the gold leaf appear before but never used it.

However, you can get the shine back by replaying the level where you found the super suit, and beat it without the suit showing up.

Got my shine back that way
I never did this and got the shine. :p

Well I don't know wtf then.

I'm sure I never used the suit, the internet is telling me if I did the level would remain red on the map and I don't have any of those..

EDIT: And just got all the rainbow worlds, I'm out of idea's.

Sora_N

Getting my ass handed to me at the Bowser stage, man I suck at platforming but this game is pretty forgiving with lives and stuff so I'm glad.

eXistor

Having just now gotten 5 (sparkly) stars on my save file I think I can give my final opinion.

Best New Super Mario Bros. ever.

As I said in my previous comment, it's a shame this game is dunked in the "New" vat, but when you come to terms with that (seemingly a long process for some) you really start to appreciate the things that this game does differently from others in the series.

A big plus is my book is the added focus on exploration. Some coins are pretty deviously hidden and it took some real effort to find all of them. Likewise the bonus levels. In NSMB 1 you just had to defeat bosses with mini Mario, here you have to actively seek out alternate exits and there are quite a few of those. This is a dense game and just like in Skyward Sword coins/ rupees are hidden absolutely everywhere. There are lots of trigger points in every nook and cranny and even though you always get relatively meaningless coins it's aways fun to seek out these little secret areas.

The absolute biggest pro I can give the game is in its astonishing diversity. I was constantly amazed by how unique almost every level is. Almost no asset is reused. There are lots and lots of levels where the structure (or level gimmick) is completely unique and is never repeated again. I was always very excited to unlock new levels this way, because they always have me guessing at what comes next. Again, the reuse of the "New" assets may diminish this feeling for some; you've probably seen some concepts used in previous games.

So then the coin mechanic. Here's where they fail. The actual coin mechanic is actually used quite well I think. As I said, every nook and cranny potentially holds hidden coins and it's a lot of fun to find out where they're hidden and trying to grab as many coins as you can never realy gets old. Even if you don't care for this, you can just ignore it and the game won't punish you for it at all, remove it entirely and the game works just as well. That is good game design right there. However where they blow it is in the coin's worth or lack thereof. Why collect coins if you can literally do nothing with them or even get rewarded for them. Maybe they can add something using DLC, but as it stands they made the coin collecting feature nigh useless.

Also Nintendo: change the fucking music.

That said, the variety and density of the levels make up for most downsides. NSMB1 remains the black sheep of the series with its uninspired level-design, NSMBWii was way better and had great level design, but I truly believe NSMB2 finally reaches the series' full potential.

Well I don't know wtf then.

I'm sure I never used the suit, the internet is telling me if I did the level would remain red on the map and I don't have any of those..

EDIT: And just got all the rainbow worlds, I'm out of idea's.
You're sure no one else has access to your savegame? My nephew screwed me this way on Super Mario 3D Land.

CassSept

12,5 hours and 4 stars done, maybe I'll do 1-up trick later that day. I only used some help with very few star coins and secret exits, much less than usual. Thank God because sans one or two they were really really cheap (e.g.
second Star Coin in errr 6-4 (stand on a block and jump to reveal a beanstalk!?) and that beanstalk within a beanstalk
)

This. I stand by my earlier complaints, that game is too short even with 100%'ing it. There is definitely not enough pure platforming and too much collectathoning a'la Rare 3D platformers, only less fun. Without collecting star coins this game feels very, very bare. After NSMBW it's definitely understandable to expect more. A misstep on Nintendo's part, even if it's good it's still the worst mainline Mario game in my opinion.

As for challenge, the only stage that has proven to be challenging in any way was cannon in Flower world. Son of a gun.

eXistor

Without collecting star coins this game feels very, very bare.

Funny how I think it's the most content packed NSMB of them all. Do you really think NSMB 1 and even Wii had more to it? In what ways? NSMBWii had a decent co-op that this lacks (I know it has co-op but it sucks), but other than that I feel this game is way more densely packed with content.

Top Bottom