• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

AniHawk

like okay remember when super mario 3d land made you go through the game once before it unlocked any challenging level, and then made you go through the entire thing again as luigi, grab the top of the pole (in each level), and get all the star coins to unlock the last last level? oh, and how some of them are these mystery box challenges that may disappear.

versus just getting star coins. even getting a million coins in nsmb2 to unlock super duper extra level would have been less of a pain in the ass.

AniHawk

Can't disagree more. Kid Icarus is designed to be played, replayed and played some more. Not beaten once in a linear manner while ideas spaced out gradually. Two very different kinds of game design.

I could understand Kid Icarus seeming confusing at first glance, but it is one of the most robust and well designed games I've played in years

i replayed levels quite a bit, upgraded weapons and whatnot, but just got so bored when it didn't end and they seemed to just run out of ideas around chapter 21.

26 on-rail levels at 5 minutes each would have been cool, and super replayable. just ask star fox 64. it'll tell you, in its own words, watch it, fox.

bart64

Banned
I disagree, this is the highest class of mario. Best mechanics--felt I was 100% in control the minute I started playing. Best level design--communicates the rules and challanges most clearly, doesn't misrepresent or contradict itself, coin collecting mechanic provides constant interaction, and it integrates with coin rush mode to re-teach how to play. The packaging translation may have been rushed and some compromises made to the presentation, but that gave the developers ample time to create the most polished mario gameplay ever.

My theory is that if they played all their 3D graphics effects cards now that would have taken away from the impact of the U version and maybe create some problems for downloading larger files (I think part of the reason they are plain and blurred is to hide compression) so it was a business decision. Hoping that there will be a spin off like Yoshi's Island where 3D is exploited.

Socreges

Banned
like okay remember when super mario 3d land made you go through the game once before it unlocked any challenging level, and then made you go through the entire thing again as luigi, grab the top of the pole (in each level), and get all the star coins to unlock the last last level? oh, and how some of them are these mystery box challenges that may disappear.

versus just getting star coins. even getting a million coins in nsmb2 to unlock super duper extra level would have been less of a pain in the ass.
jvDmj1x2XLZkT.JPG

SM3DL took too long to get become sufficiently challenging. About four or five worlds. But then it got increasingly more difficult throughout the game. NSMB2 never comes close to reaching the same level of challenge.

I still enjoyed NSMB2. Some levels are pretty fun. It just never really grabbed me. Partly because it brought so little new to the table and also because it was rarely challenging.

BUT I was really impressed by how they hid some of the star coins in NSMB2. Very clever at times.

[edit] There should be another vertical tick UP for SM3DL to represent Special-8 Crown (especially if you do it without the tanooki suit). Such an awesome level.

Roto13

I maxed out my streetpasses for this game yesterday, so today I've been playing a few streetpass challenges.

I beat one set with 5000+ coins. The other guy's record was just over 900. What.

braves01

Banned
Are people getting 30k coins with Racoon Mario or just regular Mario? My highest is just 5100 even with the gold flower.

Oh, and NSMB2 > 3DL, or something like that. The basic 2D Mario formula is just too balanced/refined, especially with the great level design this game has. I think 3DL lays a great foundation for future "3D Land" games, which hopefully will see an increase in quality similar to the NSMB series. The disparity in difficulty between 3DL's early- and end-game levels reflects the relative immaturity of its design, IMO.

Are people getting 30k coins with Racoon Mario or just regular Mario? My highest is just 5100 even with the gold flower.

Oh, and NSMB2 > 3DL, or something like that. The basic 2D Mario formula is just too balanced/refined, especially with the great level design this game has. I think 3DL lays a great foundation for future "3D Land" games, which hopefully will see an increase in quality similar to the NSMB series. The disparity in difficulty between 3DL's early- and end-game levels reflects the relative immaturity of its design, IMO.
Regular Mario (well, not me personally--I'm nowhere close to hitting the cap either way. I just can't imagine imagine hitting it as Raccoon Mario, whereas it's obviously possible with normal Mario). Really, getting 30k as White Raccoon Mario is much trickier, due to not having any access to the Gold Flower and on top of that White Raccoon Mario simply instant-kills anything it touches (it just keeps going like nothing happened at all), meaning it can't bounce off enemies at all/do any infinite tricks, which takes away most of the other possibilities for super-high coin counts. It might somehow still be possible, but it would definitely be much trickier to hit the cap with it.

Socreges

Banned

I agree with this, even though I prefer 3DL.

I'd like 2D Mario games to make wall-jumping essential, though. They've started incorporating it into more and more puzzles (ie, acquiring star coins), but someone could go the entire game without doing it once IIRC and still beat Bowser. It'd be great if you had to do wall-jumping to get through levels and past certain obstacles.

Regular Mario + glitching a koopa.

StAidan

I made it to the final castle yesterday but haven't gotten around to beating the game yet. More importantly, I had a chance to try 2-player mode for a couple hours over the weekend.

Multiplayer was fun, and had the sweet chaotic quality of NSMB Wii, but the way this game manages the screen with 2 players just leaves a lot to be desired. I don't know whether the solution would involve two completely separate cameras or just better management of the one, but it's something the dev team should have worked out before greenlighting this thing for release.

I have to say, in spite of its flaws, this game is light-years ahead of NSMB DS. I think I still prefer NSMB Wii in terms of level design and gameplay mechanics, but this is a solidly executed Mario game. I'll enjoy going back and unlocking the secret worlds, and the coin rush mode is decently fun too.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Regular Mario + glitching a koopa.

Hey, hey! It's not a glitch if it's been in every Mario game since the first one.

Anyway, on Mushroom-1 yes, there is a gold pipe where a Koopa Paratroopa hops along, if you bop him into a shell then stomp a little staircase, you can do the 1-Up trick on him while you have a gold flower on to earn about 1000 coins, leave, then come back in and do it again. Once you do it three times you have enough coins so that all you gotta do is hit the top of the flagpole on all the levels and you'll hit the cap.

Still, this is much easier said than done, as any tiny mistake in doing the 1-Up trick three times in a row, throwing an errant gold fireball, or getting hit will screw the whole thing from the start, and if you miss either of the flagpoles you are also screwed. Much harder to do than just playing through a level normally really.

ryushe

Finished the game last night. As someone who HATED the first nsmb and only mildly liked nsmb Wii, it's astonishing how much I enjoyed this entire package. Hell, even the aesthetics, which I'm still not a fan of, aren't as bad in this game for some reason unbeknownst to me. The levels were great, it was slightly harder than I'd a thought it'd be and the coin mechanic, while I thought was originally a gimmick, greatly changed the way I played a Mario game.

This game is nowhere near 3D Land good, which, other than levels slightly repeating in the latter half, was just shy of perfection and there are still some things that bugged me about nsmb2 (the music, other than the castle theme, were all pretty blah and
the star world was a complete and utter joke compared to nsmb Wii's star world
but yeah, this game is good and if anything, it shows that no one is messing with Nintendo in the realm of 2D platforming.

Game's good, yo

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jvDmj1x2XLZkT.JPG

SM3DL took too long to get become sufficiently challenging. About four or five worlds. But then it got increasingly more difficult throughout the game. NSMB2 never comes close to reaching the same level of challenge.

I still enjoyed NSMB2. Some levels are pretty fun. It just never really grabbed me. Partly because it brought so little new to the table and also because it was rarely challenging.

BUT I was really impressed by how they hid some of the star coins in NSMB2. Very clever at times.

[edit] There should be another vertical tick UP for SM3DL to represent Special-8 Crown (especially if you do it without the tanooki suit). Such an awesome level.

I'd argue that SM3DL's only difficult stage is crown and NSMB2 doesn't have any stage remotely approaching difficult.

ryushe

I'd argue that SM3DL's only difficult stage is crown and NSMB2 doesn't have any stage remotely approaching difficult.
Pretty much this. Both games are easy, but NSMB2 more so.

Other than a few Cosmic Mario stages and S8-Crown, 3D Land was a cake walk, even all of the Special World stages but NSMB2's difficulty throughout is almost nonexistent.

Socreges

Banned
Gonna have to ask you to define "difficult". Generally took me a few tries with the later Shadow Mario levels. I'd say that's difficult. If you went through the entire game, save the one level, without being challenged then you'll have to recognize that you're some kind of superior gamer who shouldn't be using the language of mere plebs.

3DL was not a 'difficult game'. Don't get me wrong. But there are degrees of difficulty and I was trying to illustrate to AniHawk how I thought he was wrong.

The Hermit

Pretty much, I expected the extra levels to be much harder and it was basically the same... the spike in the last level is quite steep though.

Pretty much this. Both games are easy, but NSMB2 more so.

Other than a few Cosmic Mario stages and S8-Crown, 3D Land was a cake walk, even all of the Special World stages but NSMB2's difficulty throughout is almost nonexistent

That seals the deal for me... gonna wait for Wii U version.

clemenx

Banned
I'm sorry, but I have to say "thisisneogafdude" at that comment.

The 2nd batch of levels was difficult for me on 3D Land. And some levels are a pain in the ass for me in NSMB2. I guess it's good to not be a gaming prodigy like 95% of GAF is, lolz.

Also, most of my friends/family who are not that big on games but always play Mario found 3DLand to be very difficult. GAF needs to remember that we're not the target audience of these games.

I'm sorry, but I have to say "thisisneogafdude" at that comment.

The 2nd batch of levels was difficult for me on 3D Land. And some levels are a pain in the ass for me in NSMB2. I guess it's good to not be a gaming prodigy like 95% of GAF is, lolz.

Also, most of my friends/family who are not that big on games but always play Mario found 3DLand to be very difficult. GAF needs to remember that we're not the target audience of these games.

There's nothing remotely difficult about the first 8 worlds in SML3D, but I'm with you on the 2nd 8. Definitely proved to be a challenge and I found it all to be well balanced, and on top of that finding coins was hard. The problem with NSMB2 is that just getting through every level is a breeze. No challenge whatsoever. Getting coins and finding shortcuts is the only challenge. In a perfect world, they'd release DLC in the form of some difficult levels to both get through and to get coins in.

Socreges

Banned
In a perfect world, they'd release DLC in the form of some difficult levels to both get through and to get coins in.
Has this been ruled out? I think I'll trade it in now that I've completed everything (apart from the million coins and 1100 lives). Is the DLC just coin rush arrangements?

I think I've mentioned this before in another thread, but you know how SM3DL tracks your lives used?

(don't have the exact numbers but these are accurate to the nearest 100)
Me (27yo) (100%) - 300+
Girlfriend (23yo) (all stages clear, most Star Coins) - 800+
Brother (26yo) (all stages and all Star Coins) - 500+
My step-brother (12yo) (all normal stages clear, somewhere in the special worlds) - 1200+

I'm a seasoned gamer that has been playing Super Mario games since I was five, and I still died over 300 times in that game. I'm not sure I'd call that "easy." (By contrast, I can clear SMB3/SMW in one life with relatively no effort).

Somnid

Has this been ruled out? I think I'll trade it in now that I've completed everything (apart from the million coins and 1100 lives). Is the DLC just coin rush arrangements?

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/nsmb2/0/5

Amano seemed to suggest that the new stages will be implemented into coin rush mode but it sounds like there could be more to it. I imagine with the strong digital push feature patches aren't out of the question.

Also, it sounds like priority one is to make challenge stages for hardcore players.

Socreges

Banned
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/nsmb2/0/5

Amano seemed to suggest that the new stages will be implemented into coin rush mode but it sounds like there could be more to it. I imagine with the strong digital push feature patches aren't out of the question.

Also, it sounds like priority one is to make challenge stages for hardcore players.
Bahh I guess I'll hold on to it then, but I'd guess they'll just be adding coin rush map packs I stead of traditional stages.

VICI0US

Man, some of these secret exits are just devilishly well hidden.

The secret exit in
5-1 in particular took me a long time to discover. I had previously taken the beanstalk up and gotten the star coin and thought that was all there was in the room. finally after scouring the first few levels of the world looking for the secret exit I was missing I found the second hidden beanstalk block. I mean, really, a hidden beanstalk block in a room you can only reach by discovering the previous hidden beanstalk block?

BEANCEPTION

Man, some of these secret exits are just devilishly well hidden.

The secret exit in
5-1 in particular took me a long time to discover. I had previously taken the beanstalk up and gotten the star coin and thought that was all there was in the room. finally after scouring the first few levels of the world looking for the secret exit I was missing I found the second hidden beanstalk block. I mean, really, a hidden beanstalk block in a room you can only reach by discovering the previous hidden beanstalk block?

BEANCEPTION

I wouldn't say that's "well" hidden. Two invisible blocks, one after the other, with no real hints of their existence?

I'd say that points to some of the shoddy game design.

BowieZ

Banned
I wouldn't say that's "well" hidden. Two invisible blocks, one after the other, with no real hints of their existence?

You're just missing the significance of some of the visual and design clues.

That's an example of the level training you to use something a certain way (bouncy ropes in this case, to hit blocks above), then later presenting that same trope, but missing something -- the block is now hidden. (There is no real need for that bouncy rope placement when you think about it, unless it's a clue.)

The game does this frequently.

And I've been satisfied every time. The worst offender though is probably the secret beanstalk in the ghost house (I got it first go though!), but even my housemate noticed the oddness of the area it's located in when he played it through.

"What's down there?" he said. I tried not to give it away :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think I've mentioned this before in another thread, but you know how SM3DL tracks your lives used?

(don't have the exact numbers but these are accurate to the nearest 100)
Me (27yo) (100%) - 300+
Girlfriend (23yo) (all stages clear, most Star Coins) - 800+
Brother (26yo) (all stages and all Star Coins) - 500+
My step-brother (12yo) (all normal stages clear, somewhere in the special worlds) - 1200+

I'm a seasoned gamer that has been playing Super Mario games since I was five, and I still died over 300 times in that game. I'm not sure I'd call that "easy." (By contrast, I can clear SMB3/SMW in one life with relatively no effort).

I should check my death counter even if I know it doesn't really paint a true picture of my performance. I'm pretty reckless when I play Mario games so I'm willing to take risky jumps since lives are plentiful. Streetpass has provided an incentive to speedrun levels so I get extra reckless here and will make jumps just to see if they are possible.

Maybe I should do a slow and steady run to see if I can get a really low death count.

RagnarokX

A hard to reach bouncy rope with no reward but two strangely placed coins that just happen to be right under the invisible block so that you hit it when you try to get them? The second one is pretty obvious too.

So what was the Spotpass data from last night? All I got was the "50 billion coins collected" announcement but there's a still a blue Spotpass icon blinking on the game icon?

Your talking about me :p

My level pack was 1-4, 1-2, then a castle w/ Gold Flower used for 1-2. Just keep restarting the Mushroom pack until 1-4 is the first level, speed through it and see if 1-2 is the next level. Castles don't matter too much as I get ~6250 coins at the end of 1-2 with the flagpole doubler and by the end of the Rush I have ~13000 coins

Just takes some time to get the pack levels perfect ;)

I got a pack with 1-4, 1-2, and the Reznor fortress from world 1. My high score is apprx 7,440 coins which is a decent number for grinding (I calculated it would take apprx 14 times this amount to reach 100k so definitely not a bad pack to use for now) but I don't see where/how you're getting a gold flower from 1-2 before moving on to third level fortress/castle.

Anybody know good level combos to get 30,000 coins?

And I finally got a Streetpass tag for the game last night but I can't compete against it yet as I still haven't beaten the game and it won't let you coin rush levels you haven't visited yet? Lame.

Anyways, love coin rush, officially addicted.

Yeah I wished that it would be registered. I even accidentally finished that level by running through the moving credits on the top part than just sitting and chilling on the moving platform (was so close to death many times!). That special level was a very nice surprise and I only enjoyed the challenging parts of 3d land.

*edit*
I just ordered the game. I wonder if I will be part of the lovers or haters of this game.

Finally had the chance to play this today, was waiting till I got my 3DS XL since my original 3DS had some annoying build issues.

Controls felt a little floaty at first, but I think I'm used to it now (just beat the first castle). I have noticed they did a better job at hiding some of the star coins so far, gonna have to re-do some of the levels to find the ones I missed.

Vaati

Banned
I got to play this at Nintendo World in NYC today. I enjoyed it but I just have one question before I make the purchase.

At the store the jump buttons were A and B and the run buttons were X and Y. I found this really uncomfortable and was hoping there is a way to make the B button run and the jump button A?

I got to play this at Nintendo World in NYC today. I enjoyed it but I just have one question before I make the purchase.

At the store the jump buttons were A and B and the run buttons were X and Y. I found this really uncomfortable and was hoping there is a way to make the B button run and the jump button A?

You can change it via options.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
If you don't go after coins are there any real stages that are pretty long (levels where you have some forced camera withstanding)?

Top Bottom