• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

I felt like such a tard when I played this for a bit last night. I could not for the life of me find the second star coing in the fortress level of world 1. I did the goddamn level like 20 times over or more. And yes I totally knew that room with the switch and the blue coins had another section on top of it, I collected the blue coins and went up there....I didn't know you had to be up there while the switch is still activated. How would I know such a thing. In a game based around collecting coins, I was too busy collecting the blue coins first. That and I didn't know switches could make coins appear.

Shit was harder than Dark Souls.

People don't get too excited about this series anymore and that's both understandable and not but this is the pinnacle of 2D level design, the new guys hit it out of the ballpark and I wasn't sure if I'd notice that they were new or not.

While the same old themes get tiresome, the level design does not.

There's something magical about good 2D platformers and this is definitely one.

I might like it better than 3D Land but that was very good as well.

I went down to my dad's house today, brought my 3DS and NSMB2. My dad wanted to play it, so he sat on his couch grinning like an idiot playing and cussing when he fucked up while his 12 yo stepson watched over his shoulder begging for his turn.

It was some circle of life shit or something.

Somnid

Not really, more like how Korean MMOs do things.

Yes, that's the F2P model, everyone uses it these days. They used to have these things called "cheat codes" that did the same thing.

Also to boost revenue they should let you pay money to get new playable characters but you don't know which you'll get. True players will unlock Princes Peach who has a 1/50 chance.

braves01

Banned
Finally gave in and looked up the secret exit in world 2
ghost house
after several days of running through each level over and over (the ones I suspected more obviously).

I like the game a lot but that's a pretty lame secret exit.

BowieZ

Banned
How are you guys getting 30,000 coins in Coin Rush?!

My record is 19,000 (2x top of the flag, all three times) and that was from crazy practice in some goldmine levels.

Pineconn

I went down to my dad's house today, brought my 3DS and NSMB2. My dad wanted to play it, so he sat on his couch grinning like an idiot playing and cussing when he fucked up while his 12 yo stepson watched over his shoulder begging for his turn.

It was some circle of life shit or something.

You're 12 years old and cussing like a sailor?

For shame.

daakusedo

Does someone know if nsmbu use the nsmb2 physics or stay slower like nsmbw.
Hard to tell without playing it but I was under the impression it's more in line with wii.
Also I want to watch that 1-a run from the nintendo direct, I hope someone uploaded it separately.

Is using Luigi any different or just aesthetic? I remember in 3DLand he could jump higher right?

I just beat the game FINALLY. Very solid game! Now time to find all the secrets. I love how this game brought them back.

Stuneseht

Is using Luigi any different or just aesthetic? I remember in 3DLand he could jump higher right?

I just beat the game FINALLY. Very solid game! Now time to find all the secrets. I love how this game brought them back.

Luigi plays the same as Mario unfortunately. I really enjoy the different playing style he has in the Galaxy series & 3DLand.
I really wish nintendo created some type of stage mechanic that automatically catered the stages towards Luigi's abilities.

Lothars

This game is fucking great! Wipes the floor with NSMB1 & Wii.

Do not understand the haters at all.
I don't agree that it Wipes the floor with NSBM Wii, I think that's the best mario game to come out in a long time but NSMB2 certainly is better than NSMB1.

I enjoyed it for what this game was but I can't say this game blew me away.

meppi

This game is fucking great! Wipes the floor with NSMB1 & Wii.

Do not understand the haters at all.

I feel the same way.
The game is getting so much hate, yet I feel the level design is top notch.
The levels are filled to the brim with secrets, the graphics are refined even though you might not notice at first since the effects are rather subdued.
The game overall is just such a blast to play and the coin mechanic makes me play it in a different way compared to the prequels just to make sure I find as many secrets in every level to make more coins pop up.

Loving it.

Can't wait for the Wii U game now! :)

Wiz

Woke up to a spot pass from NoA.

North America has collected over 10 billion coins and because of that, they've reactivated all the toad houses in the game!

zroid

Banned
Woke up to a street pass from NoA.

North America has collected over 10 billion coins and because of that, they've reactivated all the toad houses in the game!

:O

Damn, now I wish I had actually used the Toad Houses lolo

Roto13

They said they were only going to start working on the DLC after the game was out so they're probably not far enough along yet to really show anything.

RagnarokX

They said they were only going to start working on the DLC after the game was out so they're probably not far enough along yet to really show anything.

Nonsense! They can just pump out levels using the generic hack-job cheap cash-in level generator that people seam to think Nintendo uses to make all 2D Mario games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All worlds unlocked. Still a few levels to complete, don't have all coins, but most of the game is finished.

Final verdict is I feel a little guilty calling it a map pack. If we're talking purely asset usage then yeah, sure, it's a map pack. It's all recycled content.

But the level design, creativity of asset usage, consistency of quality, density of secrets, and overall polish of platforming challenge is leaps and bounds (pun intended) better than both New Super Mario Bros. (like that's hard) and New Super Mario Bros. Wii. It's a better Super Mario Bros. game than both of those, in my opinion.

zroid

Banned
All worlds unlocked. Still a few levels to complete, don't have all coins, but most of the game is finished.

Final verdict is I feel a little guilty calling it a map pack. If we're talking purely asset usage then yeah, sure, it's a map pack. It's all recycled content.

But the level design, creativity of asset usage, consistency of quality, density of secrets, and overall polish of platforming challenge is leaps and bounds (pun intended) better than both New Super Mario Bros. (like that's hard) and New Super Mario Bros. Wii. It's a better Super Mario Bros. game than both of those, in my opinion.

It's funny as I was just listening to a podcast last night where they discussed at length about how NSMB2 is the worst of the three.

Overall, while I don't particularly love any of the NSMB games thus far, I think 2 has been the most satisfying and I'm very much looking forward to the post-game and DLC.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There is no universe where the original NSMB isn't the worst of the three.

Am I being thick? I can't find my way out of the Ghost House in World 6. I found the secret exit
by wall jumping from where you find the third star coin,
but I simply can't find the proper exit.

zroid

Banned
Am I being thick? I can't find my way out of the Ghost House in World 6. I found the secret exit

I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT

The secret exit is easier to find than the normal exit in that level. :|

Chopper

I had serious troubles finding the proper exit. Hint: It's got very little to do with going through the right doors in the right order, which was my concern. You just have to go in a certain direction in a particular room that contains 1 switch.

Drago

So I managed to reach exactly 1010101 coins today thanks to SpotPass unlocking all the rainbow levels.

I don't think I can ever play this game again. That coin count number is too perfect. :(

Top Bottom