• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

CassSept

Funny how I think it's the most content packed NSMB of them all. Do you really think NSMB 1 and even Wii had more to it? In what ways? NSMBWii had a decent co-op that this lacks (I know it has co-op but it sucks), but other than that I feel this game is way more densely packed with content.

NSMB1 no, but perspective - it was the first 2D Mario after 15 years, I can be easier on it for that (just like you can't hate SMB1 for having far far less content than SMB3).

NSMBW, definitely yes. Even if the number of stages is comparable, they were much longer and much more imaginative. Star Coins were placed better too and many indeed relied on some skill - instead of scouring environment for a single detail that seems off.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
the more I play, the more I think the complaints are unjustifed. it's a great 2d mario. 3dland was an amazing 3d mario.

I'm happy with all marios outings so far, with tennis being the weakest on this console.

bring me golf now damnit.

eXistor

NSMBW, definitely yes. Even if the number of stages is comparable, they were much longer and much more imaginative. Star Coins were placed better too and many indeed relied on some skill - instead of scouring environment for a single detail that seems off.

Ok cool. I don't agree but I can see how one would think of it this way. I loved looking for that one detail that seemed off.

Bumhead

Banned
Is the Gold flower power up in Coin Rush
awarded after you complete the game
a one time use or does it regenerate with each coin rush attempt?

Yuterald

I finished the core content in the game this afternoon. 15 hours logged, all 5 Shiny Stars earned and about 150,000 coins collected. I read up on Coin Rush mode a bit and I discovered my stage setup that nets me the max 30,000 coins, if I pull it off correctly that is. I really enjoyed the tail end of the game. World 5 & 6 had some pretty interesting levels. The
lava world
theme from NSMB Wii always does it for me. Same with its underground cave rendition. Those two track variants are probably my favorite music pieces from the entire NSMB series.

I really enjoyed the game in the end. It's definitely leaps and bounds better than the original DS game, but I think I like it on par with the Wii game. The
Star World
was incredibly easy and disappointing. They were no where near as challenging or interesting as the secret stages from the Wii game. There certainly wasn't anything as difficult as the crown stage from 3D land either. Coin Rush mode is really cool, but the lack of a global leaderboard still makes it feel a bit empty. I don't travel too far with my system either so I've yet to receive a street pass for the game. At the moment, the Coin Rush stuff is only an outlet for my completionist tendencies. I will most likely work on getting max (10,000,000?) coins over the next couple of weeks.

So, it was fun while it lasted. Mario games are just comforting to me at this point. I guess these 2D ones have become an itch that I need to scratch because I always find myself glued to them until I complete them 100%. There aren't a lot of games that do this to me anymore so I guess Nintendo is still doing something right. =/

btkadams

i have a question for you mario fans.

super mario 3d land was an incredibly polished game with some really cool level design. however, i absolutely hated how each world would be so different from the next (in theme/music/gameplay/etc). it just seemed completely random, and i would have preferred each group of 5-7ish levels to have at least some sort of natural progression, thematically.

i haven't played many mario games since sunshine, and that was ages ago. is this disconnected, randomness of levels a common occurrence in mario games? i have this game coming to me in the mail and i was hoping it would be a bit more of what i want.

Got all five shiny stars and not even close to hitting 1mil coins

I'm essentially done with the game. Will probably do the Coin Rush DLC packs

hachi

Banned

super mario 3d land was an incredibly polished game with some really cool level design. however, i absolutely hated how each world would be so different from the next (in theme/music/gameplay/etc). it just seemed completely random, and i would have preferred each group of 5-7ish levels to have at least some sort of natural progression, thematically.

i haven't played many mario games since sunshine, and that was ages ago. is this disconnected, randomness of levels a common occurrence in mario games? i have this game coming to me in the mail and i was hoping it would be a bit more of what i want.

NSMB2 is more cohesive on that front, so I believe you will approve. Most of the world maps have a unified theme, and there are even little details that occasionally suggest the relationship between different areas (at one point you can spot structures in the background from another level runs roughly parallel on the same world map, etc).

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

yes, NSMB2 definitely has the coherence you need

the Galaxy/3DLand games feature a completely different approach, so you're good playing this one

Just 100%'d the game (other than the 1 million coins) and it took me 10 hours and 49 minutes, and I ended with 179,093 coins.

But I really dislike how
the game never got anymore difficult. I had heard "horror" stories about the last moon coin, but I got it on my second try without any difficulty at all. Am I missing what was so hard about it?

Overall, I really liked it, and found it a lot better than NSMB1, Wii and 3D Land.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
crap, I dicked up a level a bunch of times, I think 5 and then I went to go do another level and come back to it. I also opened a house and saved.

Now when I turn on the game and start that level, that shitty gold leaf is there. have I doomed myself to no shiny stars ever now?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So.. the
statue changes
? Ehhhhhhhh

Well for a thing that very very few people will get, you can't expect a ton of develoment time on it. Its nice that they did anything at all.

Now the 1 million reward that Nintendo encourages and uses as the main theme of the game? That's the one that's insulting.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
crap, I dicked up a level a bunch of times, I think 5 and then I went to go do another level and come back to it. I also opened a house and saved.

Now when I turn on the game and start that level, that shitty gold leaf is there. have I doomed myself to no shiny stars ever now?

No, just don't use the gold leaf.

Susurrus

So, I finally get all star and moon coins. Turn on the game a few hrs later to do some more coin rushes and find out my save is corrupted and it has to delete everything.

Well, it was fun while it lasted, but suffice to say I will not be replaying it.

AniHawk

so i got all five shiny stars on my file. i don't think i need to do the million coin challenge. i did get 45k from playing the game normally, which is sorta absurd. at 13 and a half hours, i can't complain.

overall, i came away impressed with this title. people who consider it a map pack aren't really giving the game its due. rainbow worlds as rewards are a cool, new idea; the world map is the best-designed mario world map since super mario world or super mario bros. 3, with tons of secret exits; and the warp to hidden worlds are a welcome addition to the mario series- it's about time there was a forced running level after decades of slow-moving ones.

i also loved the return of the leaf and how it was meant to be used. honestly, i think if nsmb ds never existed, and they spaced out nsmb2 and nsmbu a bit, this series would be getting some high praise. it's too bad the original nsmb sucked as much as it did in the design department. i think people associate its uninspired level design with its safe visuals and music too much, and attribute it to the other, better games in the series.

it would have been cool to see the coin mechanic really come into play, but looking at the game from a pure platformer perspective, i'm glad i at least got a good platformer that was great to play. this is in contrast to super mario 3d land, which has a tantalizing concept and delivers on the idea of making 2d mario into a 3d game, but then also forgets things like the speed, weight, and powers of the character, and how to effectively make that into a 3d game. doesn't help that the level design is trash for most of the game, and to unlock the real final challenge you have to play through each level at least twice and complete other unnecessary steps. the lack of imagination extends to the world map- which is a straight line, very unlike nsmb2's pipes and cannons and secret exit flags that take you a variety of ways around.

nsmb2 probably doesn't hit my top five for the series, but it definitely comes close, and it is at least enjoyable, unlike the previous two handheld mario games. if the new guys could pull off something like this, i can't wait to see what the veterans have in store for new super mario bros. u.

I just got the game yesterday. So far not so bad, but the usual stuff. I will say I enjoy it a lot more than NSMB and it is true that the controls are more tight and responsive than ever before (which helps a lot). It has a pretty nice flow to it if you choose to just run through the levels. I also notice how brutally well hidden secrets are which is something I appreciate (already missing one coin and hidden path from the first world). I found collecting coins a bit fun but not too distracting. I actually like the golden Mario flower due to how satisfying it is to make blocks disappear (but only in those type of levels). Keep in mind that I am someone who didnt enjoy that much the NSMB games or 3DLand, but this game is not bad for those who are skeptical (like I was). I do hope the level designs get a bit more interesting and more challenging.

Mistle

Is there a way to tell if a level has a secret exit?

Really loving the game so far. Dare I say it, but maybe even more than 3D Land. 3D Land has the better concept and mechanic, but I feel NSMB2 is just a better executed game overall.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
too bad you can't
get more than 30k coins
in coin rush mode. I now have the best record possible, I've beaten all my streepasses records and still don't have near a million coins (600k), I hope I will soon get some more interesting street passes. this is the first game on the 3DS where I feel streetpass really has a meaning.

@Mistle: As far as I know: No.

By the way, I agree that NSMB2 is a really great game, I can't recommend it enough. It doesn't get brutally difficult regarding pure platforming at all, but the secrets are really clever and make it one of the best platform games I know.

This actually helped me figure out my shiny star issue, thanks.

I know I never used the white leaf suit, but I started a castle level yesterday after playing through some other levels first, and the box was waiting at the start. I was thinking maybe it was there every time just to show players what it was or something, because I don't know why it would save there if I had finished the level without it, but I guess it did just that.

So I finished it again and it wasn't there, so I just checked all the other castles, and there was another waiting for me on the star worlds final castle. Finished it again, made sure it wasn't there by restarting the level, saved, and voilà, shinyies.

TL;DR: While the icon showing up won't necessarily screw you, make sure it hasn't saved itself at the start of one of your levels. Check your castles.

Drago

Just submitted my rather negative Club Nintendo survey. I hope they pay attention to these.

I doubt they do

But that's probably because most people just check anything down and type in 'fdgfjdhfjh' for the fill in boxes (which most of the time, I do too :p)

I doubt they do

But that's probably because most people just check anything down and type in 'fdgfjdhfjh' for the fill in boxes (which most of the time, I do too :p)

I always wondered if people did that...

I feel like an honest consumer filling them out with my true opinion though. I'm a sucker.

Drago

I feel like an honest consumer filling them out with my true opinion though. I'm a sucker.

I don't know, I always figured no one really cares so I just enter whatever.

If they actually read and listen to every survey, I'd be very surprised. Sometimes, I do fill out a survey genuinely when I really want to tell them to do something right instead of fucking up (did this a lot during the 3DS eShop drought for the first half of 2012 telling them to actually release stuff), but I just feel that they don't really care for my opinion. :/

Vidiot

I was honest at first, but then I got sick of the NOA rewards being crap and just started writing " Give Club Nintendo of America better rewards!" for everything.

Shortly after that we got the gold nunchuck. You're welcome gaf.

I don't know, I always figured no one really cares so I just enter whatever.

If they actually read and listen to every survey, I'd be very surprised. Sometimes, I do fill out a survey genuinely when I really want to tell them to do something right instead of fucking up (did this a lot during the 3DS eShop drought for the first half of 2012 telling them to actually release stuff), but I just feel that they don't really care for my opinion. :/

I still mention the VC handling whenever I buy anything online.

Vibed

I guess there is a reward for hitting 10mil coins after all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0U1bMu4X6M&feature=player_embedded

Oddly enough, I think this prize is actually neat. Unlike the over hyped, "MILLION COINS" prize, this one is like a nice little
title change secret

I doubt they do

I have a friend who does that for his Club surveys, kind of bugs me. I always try to post a sentence or two at least (which is most of the time).

Anth0ny

if the new guys could pull off something like this, i can't wait to see what the veterans have in store for new super mario bros. u.

The main point I gathered from playing this game. U has some serious potential.

Must... not... get... hyped...

NateDrake

The main point I gathered from playing this game. U has some serious potential.

Must... not... get... hyped...

This has been my line of thought, also. NSMB2 has excellent level design but it doesn't innovate and instead delivers on an establish game formula.

NSMBU is the game I'm expecting to really introduce new ideas and concepts to the NSMB line. Can't wait to see what NSMBU delivers when it releases later this yr.

NeoRausch

Ok, can somebody explain this to me?

i played throught the game and got my first star on the save.

now my wife played through it and got no star. She definitly played through. She can select
luigi and save everywhere on the map
. After that she completed the
start world
and got a star for that.
then she played through the last level again.
still no second star.

what happend there?

Javier

You get the stars by doing the following:

- Beat Bowser
- Collect all Star Coins
- Collect all Moon Coins
- Get every Secret Exit
- Max out on lives (I think 1,110)

Chopper

So, is there no news on DLC release dates? I guess they really are developing it all now?

The number of coins you've collected will have something to do with the prices, I'm telling you...

Septy

A bit disappointed in how the game save progress works in Co-op.

Just got my 2 copies for my fiancée and I tonight and I started a brand new game under co-op and I chose to play as Mario. I had not played any of the single player.
We played until we beat the first Castle in World 1 and saved.

Now I can go and choose Single player and can resume my progress made in co-op by myself if I wish to.

However when my fiancée chooses single player she only has the option for "New Game" and has to start from the very beginning again which she's not too happy about.

I checked the Instruction Manual accessible in game from the 3DS and it appears Luigi progress is NOT saved and only the total coins collected is saved on both systems. Kind of sucks.. I was hoping that somehow the save would be kept in sync somehow. But I guess progress made by one player in single player would be different to the other player. So it's not really feasible.

Yeah this really disappointed me, I don't know what they were thinking. I also get annoyed how the camera focuses on one character only. Maybe there's an option or something, but why can't my screen focus on my character while my friend's focuses on his.

They must to some degree, otherwise why reward us for doing them?

In college I used to code surveys for extra cash, and I was always told to include logic that if too many answers resemble one another (ie. the respondent chooses the first response in every question) the survey gets tossed. If the spell checker finds gibberish in essay answers, it gets tossed. So if you want to ensure your responses get measured, answer everything truthfully.

Top Bottom