• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

I still can't decide if I want digital or physical. Digital would be nice for convenience and money back obviously but, but physical! And with a new console! I love walking out the store with a system and multiple games / controllers. I can't even do both easily as Nintendo games hold their value.

Mario 3D Land's music was pretty bad versions of other songs, not to mention that awful theme. The game was pretty much NSMB-ified both visually and in terms of audio. It's like an NSMB version of Galaxy.

I don't think we played the same game. And I would describe it as the lite version of Galaxy without the fluff.

I didn't realize up until now that the Pro controllers were missing motion controls. I guess that's why the battery life is so high... :/

jediyoshi

Eesh what's going on with their Wii capture, hud was nowhere near that blurry

F20mh.jpg

Eesh what's going on with their Wii capture, hud was nowhere near that blurry

The video is compressed as heck and has some nasty artifacts. This is typical stuff. I expect both actually look much cleaner, although it does give you a basic feel for the differences between them.

Drago

Back of the Japanese box, in case anyone cared.

1-5 players
14 MB required for save data
Number of saves: 3 (shared among all users)
Supported video output: 480i, 480p, 1080i, 720p, 1080p (this isn't the resolution it runs at)
Supported controllers: Wii U gamepad, Wii Remote, Wii Remote MotionPlus
Nintendo Network: Sharing of experiences through Miiverse

OgfuZ.jpg

Wait, why is it that the Japanese boxes tell you the resolution, save data requirement, number of saves, etc. but the NA boxes don't?!? I don't understand...

Either way, super excited for this. Nothing makes me happier than a good ol' 2D Mario. :D

Hiltz

So is this THE game to get for the Wii U? I'm not sure which launch title I should get yet.

I would just wait for the reviews to come in. The quality of launch title releases tends to be all over the map anyway. We should be expecting reviews to come in as early as tomorrow. IGN' reviews begin this week starting with Ninja Gaiden 3 on Tuesday and New SMBU and Nintendo Land up on the 15th. Other sites should naturally be doing the same once NDA's are over.

Ugh, just found out that my Gamestop isn't having a midnight release, and the stupid mall that it's in doesn't open until noon on Sundays. I want this now.

jediyoshi

The video is compressed as heck and has some nasty artifacts. This is typical stuff. I expect both actually look much cleaner, although it does give you a basic feel for the differences between them.

The Wii U footage looks in line with their actual regular Wii U footage as it looks inline with the actual game. There's a disconnect between the Wii stuff there with their regular Wii footage/actual game. Looks like they went back and whipped out the composite cables and dipped them in acid before capturing.

Glass Joe

Potentially dumb question but I really don't know. The majority of my play time will be on my HDTV with the GamePad. When playing like this, what does the GamePad screen show? Is it like the NSMB 2 3DS bottom screen (progress bar, item, score, etc) or is the GamePad always streaming the game identically regardless of whether the TV is on or not? Is there a choice?

Mariolee

So just to make sure, an HDTV is required for the Wii U right? I really wanna get this game but my HDTV is upstairs and already occupied by my PS3.

Medalion

Banned
So just to make sure, an HDTV is required for the Wii U right? I really wanna get this game but my HDTV is upstairs and already occupied by my PS3.

No... you don't even technically need a tv at all in some cases. The system is capable of outputting in SD as well.

The Lamp

It looked great on the TV at Wal-Mart.

I'm just really disappointed that there's no online co-op....how many years will I have to wait for Nintendo to make something as fun as that a standard for their multiplayer games...

Glass Joe

It looked great on the TV at Wal-Mart.

I'm just really disappointed that there's no online co-op....how many years will I have to wait for Nintendo to make something as fun as that a standard for their multiplayer games...

Nintendo's excuse is it's too difficult due to lag issues on such a precise game. If so, that would be more frustrating than fun. I don't know if that's true or not. Have any multiplayer 2D platformers on other consoles gotten it right?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Should I be upscaling or not?

I'd recommend that people let their consoles or receivers upscale, rather than their TVs. Basically, try to ensure that your TV receives a 1080p signal direct. WHY, YOU ASK??!? Because a lot of TVs only offer their 1:1 pixel mode for 1080p signals, which means 720p games will have their edges chopped off due to overscan.

I set my receiver to force everything to 1080p before it reaches my TV way back when, and suddenly all the "why are these boxes all cut off" questions I had in Street Fighter IV were answered.

I'd recommend that people let their consoles or receivers upscale, rather than their TVs. Basically, try to ensure that your TV receives a 1080p signal direct. WHY, YOU ASK??!? Because a lot of TVs only offer their 1:1 pixel mode for 1080p signals, which means 720p games will have their edges chopped off due to overscan.

I set my receiver to force everything to 1080p before it reaches my TV way back when, and suddenly all the "why are these boxes all cut off" questions I had in Street Fighter IV were answered.

That's what I don't want. Shouldn't I just set my tv to the native resolution of the game?

mr stroke

Haven't enjoyed a New Mario Bros game since Galaxy but HD Mario is too good to pass up. In day one for this with Zombie U

There is no ethernet port on the Wii U, but yes, the system will support a USB ethernet adapter.

Wait WTF? I didn't know Wii U didn't have an ethernet port, I didn't notice a Wii U ethernet adapter for sale either. What am I supposed to use to get online?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
That's what I don't want. Shouldn't I just set my tv to the native resolution of the game?

The only way you can keep the overscan from happening is with the 1:1 mode, and you'll have to check whether that mode is available if your set is receiving a 720p image. It probably won't be. So you'll want to see if the Wu can upscale games to 1080p. It probably can, 1080p is on the back of the Mario box, even though it doesn't render at that resolution directly.

Top Bottom