• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Yeah, there should be an option to turn it off. Or it could be smart and realise that if you have over 50 lives, you're probably Ok at mario and leave you alone.
My number of lives always fluctuates between the 80s and 90s and I die a fuckload. They seriously just need to stop with the whole lives thing since the game hands out 1ups like candy on halloween.

Gustav

Banned
My number of lives always fluctuates between the 80s and 90s and I die a fuckload. They seriously just need to stop with the whole lives thing since the game hands out 1ups like candy on halloween.

Looks like I suck at this game, played through it on 5 continues. Died too often in the last 2 worlds.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Do you prefer to play on the gamepad or TV?

Gamepad for me. I think it's made for it.

Actually all the games that feature off TV play I use the gamepad. Works in the toilet too.

Depends on how far I am away from my TV. If I'm all the way back on my bed, the GamePad is slightly easier to precision platform on, but it usually doesn't matter so I just look at the TV. I watch a lot of TV while gaming though so the GamePad becomes useful in those cases. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There's one level in the giant world where you can just bounce off goombas all day and rack up lots of lives.

And tilted tunnels back in world 1 can give you 6+ lives in a quick run through. I do that level for my daughter because she's not very good at mario but doesn't want to get a game over, so I stock up :)

batbeg

Bleh, I was bothered that if you die you can't just redo it right away. You have a really annoying 5-6 seconds in between attempts that is really annoying.

I want every platformer to steal Meat Boy's respawn.

I still have memories of 3.52, 8.42, and 11.24 deaths dozens of times last night and all I was thinking was I wish it were like trackmania (or smb, but I haven't played that).

Fabrik

Banned
The music reusing is really tragic here. The world map is well designed, the levels are great, the visuals are good enough with the backgrounds, but that music honestly sucks away the charm and identity this could have had as its own game, not something derivative.

Yeah I didn't think music what that important in a game before but this reuse makes the game less unique and not as fresh as it could have been. That and the fact I played roughly the same game 4 times already! I finished the main story mode, skipping the snow world, and without trying every courses, but from what I've seen this game is about the same quality of NSMBWii but it's not enough for me. It's a bit boring to be honest. That last world and boss were not very good. The challenges and coin rush look more exciting at least. Maybe they will make me change my mind but Nintendo will have to do a lot more to make me care about the solo campaign again.

Darryl

Banned
Do you prefer to play on the gamepad or TV?

Gamepad for me. I think it's made for it.

Actually all the games that feature off TV play I use the gamepad. Works in the toilet too.

i've only played on the TV when I'm doing multiplayer. i hate sitting in the living room so I just leave the controller in my room and play. it looks just as good to me.

Rubius

Just beaten it. Also, I wonder if I will get a post deleted. Posted the image of Magic Koopa boosting Bowser in the Lava using his Sony power (The Triangle, Square and X) and I said "By the power of competition!"
Wonder if they will delete it for mentioning Sony :s

batbeg

Just beaten it. Also, I wonder if I will get a post deleted. Posted the image of Magic Koopa boosting Bowser in the Lava using his Sony power (The Triangle, Square and X) and I said "By the power of competition!"
Wonder if they will delete it for mentioning Sony :s
If yosp can post his love of Sony on miiverse I don't see why they would.

That's an awesome discussion to look through, by the way. Awesome community for the most part.

Just got my Wii U a couple days ago and I've only played through the world 2 mini castle. So far so good, although obviously things haven't ramped up too much yet. While the game still has that somewhat antiseptic NSMB vibe, the more nuanced handling of the backgrounds and graphical flourishes afforded by the hardware help elevate the visuals safely above the other games in the series. I appreciate that there's a better sense of narrative through the world map and context specific vignettes tucked in the far distance on some levels. It boosts the overall sense of cohesion and reduces the feeling that you're just slogging though a string of samey areas one after another.

I'm hoping it borrows from NSMB2's handbook with more varied level structure compared to the first two, which I found mostly stuck in a basic left-to-right and bottom-to-top mindset. Already the hidden nooks and crannies I've come across bode well. I also dig that I can usually find multiple solutions to navigating tricky areas or accessing star coins. Having options definitely opens things up to more replayablity. Obviously the challenge mode should help make for a longer lasting experience as well. Coin Rush was a huge boon to the 3DS version imo, so I'm happy to see similar implementation here, with a wider variety of challenges.

Can't wait to delve into it a bit deeper, but overall my impressions are fairly positive so far, even if I'm not totally overwhelmed yet. It might be partly because I'm coming off the tail end of NSMB2, which already featured similar improvements. Or maybe (hopefully!) I've only gotten a taste of what's in store. Regardless, I'll probably chisel away at it slowly between sessions of Nintendo Land so I don't completely burn out rocking two side scrolling Mario games in a row.

Oh, one last thing. I am bummed you still can't look/throw turtle shells upwards, or grab things above you with Yoshi's tongue for that matter. The NSMB games have borrowed from so many Mario games, so regressive little things like that even on the fourth iteration are kinda a bummer. Minor I know, but I can't help but notice.

Rubius

I found that this Mario title have a lot of new ideas, and that most levels introduce new things.

Also prepare to be blown away in the ice levels. Dat background. As somebody who work near the Arctic circle, I do see Aurora from times to times, but they are kind of weak and green only. But man, I wish it was like in this game

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so i didn't know Baby Yoshis don't grow up. I carried one through the entire level, letting him eat every single edible enemy and was like, "the hell?". Right before the pole I threw him down a goddamned hole

so i didn't know Baby Yoshis don't grow up. I carried one through the entire level, letting him eat every single edible enemy and was like, "the hell?". Right before the pole I threw him down a goddamned hole

...But you can take some of them with you to the next stage.

Played through the first 3 worlds in co-op with my bf. I still suck at Mario, but it was great fun and the most fun we had together on the console outside of Luigi's Mansion and Donkey Kong in Nintendo Land.

Kokonoe

Banned

It is disappointing, but still, poor Baby Yoshi.

Well, I'm not one to talk, I used Baby Yoshis as tools to take all my damage in the Star levels.

The baby Yoshi from world 1 disappeared from my game like five hours back and has never respawned.

Activity log has me at 22 hours now. Still haven't played any multiplayer.

Ranger X

I largely prefer playing on the TV because it simply look tons better. The lower resolution on the Gamepad is quite apparent and the artifacting from the video compression irks me. No thanks.

Level
2. I think you jump up and left at the red coins gate.
there is a spot where you can go on top of the level, kinda like smb1 stage 1-2. There is a long row of coins. However just before the long row of coins mothers is like a slanted block sticking out of the ground. From that block jup up and to the right again, so you are up even higher. Ten just take that path to the end.

I played probably 95% of my time on the gamepad while in bed.

batbeg

there is a spot where you can go on top of the level, kinda like smb1 stage 1-2. There is a long row of coins. However just before the long row of coins mothers is like a slanted block sticking out of the ground. From that block jup up and to the right again, so you are up even higher. Ten just take that path to the end.

I played probably 95% of my time on the gamepad while in bed.

Thanks for the tips guys, it was driving me nuts. I hadn't realized I could jump higher still.

Davey Cakes

Yeah I didn't think music what that important in a game before but this reuse makes the game less unique and not as fresh as it could have been. That and the fact I played roughly the same game 4 times already! I finished the main story mode, skipping the snow world, and without trying every courses, but from what I've seen this game is about the same quality of NSMBWii but it's not enough for me. It's a bit boring to be honest. That last world and boss were not very good. The challenges and coin rush look more exciting at least. Maybe they will make me change my mind but Nintendo will have to do a lot more to make me care about the solo campaign again.
I'm mostly in disagreement on this. Having played every level of the main worlds plus two levels of Superstar Road, it's definitely better than NSMB Wii and has better variety. I would care about another solo campaign based solely off the fact that these campaigns have been getting better with each game (not including NSMB2 since I haven't played it) and I think that the next one would only improve things even more. I didn't find NSMBU to be "boring" at all; I was surprisingly engaged by it.

That said, I am glad I skipped NSMB2. While NSMBU is a great game, it definitely does not feel "fresh." Obviously, sequels don't need to be complete change-ups of their predecessors but the formula is changing just enough to keep me as invested as I currently am. I bet if I had played NSMB2 I'd be much more fatigued on the style of gameplay and wouldn't enjoy it as much.

The ice world is really good, and one of my favorites. Definitely check it out. I also suggest beating every level and collecting every coin, but obviously you shouldn't force yourself to play if you're not into it. Personally, I really enjoyed collecting all the star coins and not skipping levels because it allowed me to appreciate just how different every stage is.

Also, Peach's Castle was a short world and I agree that the final boss wasn't as good as NSMB Wii's. However it was still a great world in my opinion, based on the stages themselves. Maybe not on the level of NSMB Wii's World 8, but close considering that it's only, what, 5 stages long?

This game definitely isn't a revolution but I'm really glad that the quality is higher than NSMB and NSMB Wii.

I'm saying all this while not even having played the entire thing in multiplayer, either. So far I think I've only gotten through half of World 2 with friends. That needs to change; I'm really looking forward to see how challenging the game gets with multiple players in the stages starting in Frosted Glacier and Sparkling Waters. It's going to be a much different experience than playing solo and will extend the longevity of the game, big time.

I've barely touched the challenges, too!

I found playing NSMBU and nsmb2 so close together helped make them feel like different games with different goals, even though the base goal of getting to the end is the same.

I largely prefer playing on the TV because it simply look tons better. The lower resolution on the Gamepad is quite apparent and the artifacting from the video compression irks me. No thanks.

This makes me a little sad.

Haven't bought a WiiU yet, but playing on the Gamepad seems like one of the most appealing features of the console to me. :/

Davey Cakes

The game doesn't look nearly as pretty on the Gamepad as on the TV. However, it still looks better than most handheld games.

I have a 40" 1080p HDTV and while NSMBU looks absolutely amazing on it, there are still times when I prefer curling up on the couch with the Gamepad. It doesn't look as good but the overall experience is just as good.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TRIUMPH!!

Two hours in the making, I'm so weaksauce lol. Got four time trials, one coin challenge (which I can tell is going to be amazing...ly rage inducing), and two 1up challenges left before I start on the Boost Mode challenges.

These things are easily doubling my playtime, probably will even got beyond that...

(Better vid coming when I get my capture card.)

jaypah

There's one level in the giant world where you can just bounce off goombas all day and rack up lots of lives.

Same level has a big koopa troopa coming down the stairs, just like 3-1 on the original Super Mario Bros. Sometimes you have to take the hit because he's so big but you can bounce off his shell and max out, just make sure you're big.

So, after seeing how one of this game's biggest features is its plethora of new modes and such which trial even the most seasoned Mario fans at accomplishing difficult tasks and platforming challenges, I was thinking of a new mode that would be potentially really fun in a game like this. What about a time trial / challenge mode, ala Sonic Colors? It would take you through all the levels in the game, timing you as you do it, seeing who can beat it in the shortest time.

Now, this mode would encourage you not only to get the fastest time, but to really know your levels, meaning that if you don't want your playthrough to last like 5 hours, you should know where each of the secret exits are in the levels that have you jump multiple worlds. I think it'd be really fun to have a Mario game that can be completed in one playthrough again, especially if it had a competitive leaderboard system.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So, after seeing how one of this game's biggest features is its plethora of new modes and such which trial even the most seasoned Mario fans at accomplishing difficult tasks and platforming challenges, I was thinking of a new mode that would be potentially really fun in a game like this. What about a time trial / challenge mode, ala Sonic Colors? It would take you through all the levels in the game, timing you as you do it, seeing who can beat it in the shortest time.

Now, this mode would encourage you not only to get the fastest time, but to really know your levels, meaning that if you don't want your playthrough to last like 5 hours, you should know where each of the secret exits are in the levels that have you jump multiple worlds. I think it'd be really fun to have a Mario game that can be completed in one playthrough again, especially if it had a competitive leaderboard system.

...the game already has time trials.
ShDS1.gif
Not for every level but it includes some custom ones as well.

See this vid.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Finally got this to ship from gamefly. My 1.09$ 2 game promo ends the 20th.

I've played no games but singleplayer nintendoland and some wipeout 3.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
He means a mode where you play the entire game in one sitting, from 1-1 all the way to the final castle, not individual time trials for each stage.

Oh I see. Would that even be fun? You mess up once and you'd have to go back to the beginning..?

Fabrik

Banned

There's a lot of wasted multiplayer opportunity in this game. Challenges and Coin Rush are cool but they could have done so much more.

What about this?

1) One player controls Nabbit on the gamepad and can throw poison mushrooms behind him to slow the pursuer player down?

2) On player controls Lakitu on the gamepad and throws spiked shells while the other players try to kill him/reach the end of the level.

And so on...

I hope Mario Kart includes new asymmetrical modes, like a Mario Kart Chase mode or something. If they don't do it that'll be a shame.

ElfArmy177

How does this compare to super mario world?
Does it have the same length and amount of secrets?
Thanks.

Its comparable without a doubt. I always felt super Mario world had more levels than new smb Wii u until I replayed it. Then I realized they are about the same.. Haha. Definitely better than new smb Wii imo.

its like a mix of smb3 and sm world.

How does this compare to super mario world?
Does it have the same length and amount of secrets?
Thanks.

I haven't checked the numbers, but I'd say the game has a comparable length to SMW and not quite as many secrets. Bear in mind, however, that even if NSMBU had a slightly shorter main game, it would still have Challenge Mode and multiplayer, so you're getting a LOT more Mario in the end.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Since we're on the subject, let's count the number of levels in the main games.

Super Mario World: 97 exits - 28 secrets exits = 69 unique levels
New Super Mario Bros. Wii: 78 levels
New Super Mario Bros. U: 94 exits - 13 secret exits = 81 unique levels

Davey Cakes

Completed the final level and collected all star coins. Now I have four gold shiny stars on my file. Any time I triggered the Super Guide I reset the game to my previous save so I'm not sure if that had any effect on things. Are the stars gold and shiny for everyone?

Looks like I've hit 93 flags. Going by Andrex's post, there's one secret exit left. Looking for it will be a bitch; I'll probably have to make some inferences as to its location. It'd be nice if there was a clear indication like a Toad House that I hadn't reached yet or something. It's going to be more like those pointless secret exits like in Soda Jungle where they just create a useless looping pathway. Let's see, what area of the map doesn't look "busy" enough? Hmmm.....

EDIT: After quickly checking the map, I guess I didn't realize that I never took the normal exit for Soda Jungle-2. Did that, and caught Nabbit three more times. Boom, 5 shiny stars!

Now to pursue the Challenges! I may take a break though, unless any multiplayer opportunities come up.

Since we're on the subject, let's count the number of levels in the main games.

Super Mario World: 97 exits - 28 secrets exits = 69 unique levels
New Super Mario Bros. Wii: 78 levels
New Super Mario Bros. U: 94 exits - 13 secret exits = 81 unique levels

Yeah I was looking at the world map of SMW recently and it dosen't look that big enough anymore compared to NSMBU...

Both have equally great maps though. I just wish there was a Vanilla Cave style area in NSBU, though.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
So I would say that Ludwig's Clockwork Castle is hands down one of the very best designed Mario levels there is.

Fuuuuk, there is this one level that is really butchering me.... Why do i want all those starcoins???????
They reallly ramped up the difficulty in this game imo.

tassletine

I'm hugely disappointed with this title. It seems to me that they took a Wii game and lazily gave it a bit of an upgrade. I say this as a huge fan of Mario 3DS and New super Mario Bros 2. I actually laugh when playing those titles. Not here.
Everything from the colour palette, to the graphical effects scream Wii to me. There is simply nothing here that couldn't have been done before. None of the models look like they've been touched up much and the reusing of music is atrocious. That they couldn't even get a composer to come up with some new tunes for their flagship launch title is baffling.

I think it's the insistence on multiplayer that has killed it. I found the wii NSMB had much the same problem as the level design is too broad, with not enough focus on action. It's a personal preference, but for me the free coin rush level released by Nintendo recently (for the 3ds) beats any level here hands down for sheer fun.

The thing that really kills it though is the collision detection. It is so much harder now to get a pixel perfect leap from the edge of a block (this should be easier in HD surely?) and jumping down on enemies often has you die as you appear just off centre in their bodies, clearly indicating that their should have been a kill.
The fact that the game pauses to show you exactly how the programmers have fucked up, only adds insult to injury. I once got killed by a koopa with a good 'head of a koopa' gap between me and the creature. This is chiefly what gets me thinking this is a port -- they didn't update the hit boxes from standard definition.

I'm hugely disappointed with this title. It seems to me that they took a Wii game and lazily gave it a bit of an upgrade. I say this as a huge fan of Mario 3DS and New super Mario Bros 2. I actually laugh when playing those titles. Not here.
Everything from the colour palette, to the graphical effects scream Wii to me. There is simply nothing here that couldn't have been done before. None of the models look like they've been touched up much and the reusing of music is atrocious.

you are either blind or you put it in the old Wii disc. It looks insanely better than Wii.
On a HD screen at least.

I agree they could have done a bit more with the music.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Everything from the colour palette, to the graphical effects scream Wii to me. There is simply nothing here that couldn't have been done before. None of the models look like they've been touched up much and the reusing of music is atrocious. That they couldn't even get a composer to come up with some new tunes for their flagship launch title is baffling.

I think it's the insistence on multiplayer that has killed it. I found the wii NSMB had much the same problem as the level design is too broad, with not enough focus on action. It's a personal preference, but for me the free coin rush level released by Nintendo recently (for the 3ds) beats any level here hands down for sheer fun.

The thing that really kills it though is the collision detection. It is so much harder now to get a pixel perfect leap from the edge of a block (this should be easier in HD surely?) and jumping down on enemies often has you die as you appear just off centre in their bodies, clearly indicating that their should have been a kill.
The fact that the game pauses to show you exactly how the programmers have fucked up, only adds insult to injury. I once got killed by a koopa with a good 'head of a koopa' gap between me and the creature. This is chiefly what gets me thinking this is a port -- they didn't update the hit boxes from standard definition.

I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering if you have your HDTV misconfigured or something. The game has no collision detection problems whatsoever and is clearly the best looking in the series (not only due to HD, but also the backgrounds.)

Davey Cakes

Well others have mentioned collision detection problems too.

Throughout my entire 5-star run I never experienced any issues. Go figure.

Also, I looked it up and apparently there aren't any penalties for having the Super Guide appear, but there are penalties for using it. If your file had a nice sheen to it, you're all set!

Top Bottom