• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Vita Press release - games list, battery life ('3-5 hours'), memory card info

StuBurns

Banned
Josh7289 said:
Wait.

Wait wait wait.

Are the memory cards proprietary?

Are you seriously telling me it's 2011 and we're required to purchase proprietary memory cards?

What. The. Fuck.
Off the shelf cards most likely don't have the performance needed.

StuBurns said:

Off the shelf cards are able to record 1080p video footage and uncompressed RAW images from DSLR cameras.

Edit: Wait, I guess it was sarcasm?

Somnid

StuBurns said:

With off-the-shelve card you simply buy the performance you need. I doubt Vita's writing page files to it such that it's absolutely necessary.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Memory card 4GB December 17, 2011 ¥2,200
Memory card 8GB December 17, 2011 ¥3,200
Memory card 16GB December 17, 2011 ¥5,500
Memory card 32GB December 17, 2011 ¥9,500

I'm sorry, I assumed that I had forgotten the rough yen translation so I had to run these through google.

Nope, I was right with my estimates.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Gravijah

UMDs read slower than the average SD card, but Vita cards are a lot faster. I think this gives them a "baseline" performance to work with, and it would make sure performance isn't effected for PSN Vita titles.

BadWolf said:
Sony can probably control piracy better this way as well.
Nope.

It is the only way they could have priced the Vita at $249. This is the only reason. Performance and piracy have nothing to do with it.

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
120 bucks for a 32 gb is not that expensive, really. SD and others must still be cheaper, but it's not catastrophic.

XxDnF.gif

Josh7289 said:
Wait.

Wait wait wait.

Are the memory cards proprietary?

Are you seriously telling me it's 2011 and we're required to purchase proprietary memory cards?

What. The. Fuck.
This has been known since day one. We were just hoping the pricing structure would be reasonable. I guess that's not gonna be the case.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
seady said:
memory card?! Are we in 1995?
What device (other then those starting with "i") doesn't have "memory cards" in the last 10 years?

Anyway proprietary cards have been known for nearly a year now, not sure what's with all the surprise. The game-carts have save space, so the expansion is for downloads (which granted, many of us will want, but it's hardly needed for the crowd that was screaming at Sony to support cartridge games for the past 7 years).

DMPrince said:
sounds like 3DS lol.
Actually my 3DS turned itself off when I charged it for the first time while plugged into power - the battery was draining faster then it could charge :/

I think the piracy angle is a more likely reason for proprietary cards.

Moral dilemmas about piracy potential aside, I'm betting that a CFW with the ability to utilize a $20 32gig sandisk won't be far off.

Unless I'm blind and there's an actual physical difference in these cards.

Gravijah

Fernando Rocker said:
Just a quick search at Newegg.

32GB, Class 6, Verbatim... 1/3 of the price.

http://i.imgur.com/nAsOe.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Vita uses a memory card that is comparable to class 10, no?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
bud said:
what exactly is going on in this gif?
This is how we usually applaud all female performers, not just strippers. We strive to treat all woman equally (shitty).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Fernando Rocker said:
32GB, Class 6, Verbatim... 1/3 of the price.
You can expect that will be 1/2 in US.
But I'll bet you that Sony card is at least 2x faster then this Verbatim (or likely, anything that isn't a Sandisk).

theBishop

Banned
Fafalada said:
What device (other then those starting with "i") doesn't have "memory cards" in the last 10 years?

Anyway proprietary cards have been known for nearly a year now, not sure what's with all the surprise. The game-carts have save space, so the expansion is for downloads (which granted, many of us will want, but it's hardly needed for the crowd that was screaming at Sony to support cartridge games for the past 7 years).

Actually my 3DS turned itself off when I charged it for the first time while plugged into power - the battery was draining faster then it could charge :/

The point is it's a proprietary card, not MicroSD or some other widely used format. Even if it was "known", it's still probably the dumbest part of the Vita so far. And Sony's shooting themselves in the foot because they want people downloading products, not buying in stores.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't think the 32GB will be $120 in the US. Sony is not using straight yen->dollars for anything else. Going by the usual conversion I'd expect $90 - still expensive, of course.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The_Technomancer said:
I'm sorry, I assumed that I had forgotten the rough yen translation so I had to run these through google.

Nope, I was right with my estimates.

Are you fucking kidding me?
Eh, I'd be surprised if its that much when it comes to the states considering the blue PS3 is $380 over there.

Gravijah

gofreak said:
I don't think the 32GB will be $120 in the US. Sony is not using straight yen->dollars for anything else. Going by the usual conversion I'd expect $90 - still expensive, of course.

Which would put the 16GB at around $50, right?

elty

I think memory price is expected. Sony probably sells the Vita at loss so they need accessories to recover some cost. I think many people will lose interest here if Vita starts at $399.

Not having HDMI out is very disappointing though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Magic Ovaries said:
Wait I'm confused, Vita does not have internal storage?

It doesn't.

Magic Ovaries said:
The memory card is required for Vita to function?

Some games may need one, but the system doesn't. Many (most?) games will probably have save space on their own game cards.

elty

Magic Ovaries said:
Wait I'm confused, Vita does not have internal storage? The memory card is required for Vita to function?

I don't think so. Game card will reserved some free space for patches and game saves. Vita probably has some internal memory for the firmware, but that should be pretty small (1GB?) and user not accessible.

Magic Ovaries said:
Wait I'm confused, Vita does not have internal storage? The memory card is required for Vita to function?

No, but it is required if you want DLC and PSN games... maybe some games will require a memory card though. Just like some 360 games are required to have an HDD.

whitehawk

Banned
jman2050 said:
No seriously, what's going to happen 6 years from now when the next wave of handhelds come out?

Battery tech HAS to breakthrough at some point, right?
The thing is, battery tech DOES keep getting better. But technology also keeps getting more powerful and requires more energy. So we don't really see an improved battery life =/

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
theBishop said:
And Sony's shooting themselves in the foot because they want people downloading products, not buying in stores.
If Sony is shooting themselves in the foot, it would be what they invested in GameCart format development - not rebranded memory sticks in new package.

I would have liked a download only handheld with Vita caliber games - but neither retail nor consumers at large have been very open to that to date - so this is the compromise you get.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
StuBurns said:

wow agreed :p, I'm sure I heard that the transfer rate of these cards are better than regular sd cards/sticks, not that that justifies the price still but I'm dubious that this is just regular SD memory with Sony tax added.

test_account

XP-39C²
Is there any reasons why PS Vita has the same amount of battery life as the 3DS despite being more powerful? Is it because the 3DS' two screens draw more power?

EDIT: Or perhaps the battery in PS Vita is a bit bigger in physical size?

beje

Banned
Magic Ovaries said:

Not required, but without one of them you can't...
- Download stuff from the PSN
- Save additional data from some games that might require one (FFXI comes to mind)
- Use the music/video players
- Probably use stuff like the social features (FB, Twitter, etc...)

test_account said:
Is there any reasons why PS Vita has the same amount of battery life as the 3DS despite being more powerful? Is it because the 3DS' two screens draw more power?

More space inside to host a physichally bigger battery.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Galvanise_ said:
So what was the big 'TA-DA!' moment at the press conference?

Was Monster Hunter even mentioned?

It appeared in a montage - probably Portable 3rd being played via BC - but it wasn't mentioned at all. Studiously avoided, perhaps? A bit of a slap in the face for Sony if they've been locked out for now.

As for ta-da moments...not really any. We learned about more new games outside the conference than during it. Maybe FFX remake was the closest I guess, from a big franchise representation POV.

Magic Ovaries said:
Basically if you want to use the Vita like I use my PSP, you need a memory card. Most people will want to get one, especially when (not if) homebrew kicks off.

This is simply their way of pricing the Vita relatively cheaply. If they claim it is for performance or piracy reasons, they are lying.

StuBurns

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
Well done, SCEJ. Well done.

What on earth were they thinking?
God knows, it was a mess. There is another PSV conference, so we can't be completely sure they don't have 'bombs' to drop, but it didn't look great.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fafalada said:
This generation has been weird. Nintendo, who people rightfully deride for their terrible online services from a customer perspective, have also made the most pro-consumer hardware decisions.

Ydahs

Magic Ovaries said:
It probably has just enough memory reserved for the inbuilt apps and for firmware updates down the line. It doesn't have internal storage accessible to the user though.

gofreak said:
I don't know. Isn't the Vita cheapest in the US by a fair margin? They might have chosen this price point with the intent of recouping the loss with these propriety cards.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Fine Ham Abounds said:
Would be funny if they have to use Class 2 Sandisks for performance reasons like a modded Nook Color
I'll wait for actual benchmarks, the "ClassX" classification is a blatant lie from most manufacturers (Sandisk being the usual exception here). But the min-spec of writeable cards will have to be at least on par with their GameCarts - otherwise the downlodable games wouldn't work.

Top Bottom