• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Vita Press release - games list, battery life ('3-5 hours'), memory card info

Durante

zomgbbqftw said:
I'm surprised by the amount of faux rage on the Vita memory card prices. This wasn't exactly surprising, proprietary memory on a much cheaper than expected device was always going to be more expensive than the cheapest form of memory.
It's also very likely to be a lot faster than the cheapest micro-sd cards. Probably more fair to compare it to class 10. (And it's still overpriced, but less so)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Battery life bugs me (5 hours is fine, but it's the low end possibly sub 3 that gets me). Memory cards... well I guess I expected it, so the shock isn't triggering anything.

Overall, slightly underwhelming and I'll have to have it in my hands.

StuBurns

Banned
UncleSporky said:
Yes, exactly. Nobody cares about downloading games, demos, trailers, PSN in general, none of that. Unimportant in this day and age!
You believe most users will spend 95% of their PSV time on that stuff seriously?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
mclem said:
I'm failing to read this paragraph as anything other than "Who buys a freaking handheld system for handheld games?". Anyone able to help me out here?

I hope he's talking about keepign all the games on the internal memory so you don't need to swap cards around. wasn't that one of the reasons for jailbreaking the original PSP, to rip games and play off memory cards?

Although it was a bit strong, 3DS does fine with swappable physical cards. Its also a neat way to bypass PSN restrictions - if Sony keep the annoying 'only play games from the PSN account currently activated' then you can register/use your main PSN account for where you live, but use physical carts for the odd regional exclusive.

Raelson said:
You could see the language options at the conference when he first booted it up. You couldn't see that English was there but I'd of course assume so.

Was wondering the same thing, but I guess that since it's Sony, PSN is there, and on PS3, you can change language, locale, create foreign accounts, it should be there, 90 % chance I think.

Londa

Banned
gofreak said:
Battery is a 2200mAh unit, cited as giving 3-5 hours of gameplay or 5 hours of video playback.

hahaha oh man... why make it a portable?

gofreak said:
Charging time is 2 hours, 40 minutes.

so basically 3 hours? LOL

3 hours of play, 3 more hours to charge. XDDD

StuBurns said:
You believe most users will spend 95% of their PSV time on that stuff seriously?
That wasn't my statement, but you misrepresented the utility of having non-cart general storage. It's used for far more things than video and music (which are indeed still important).

1-D_FTW

mclem said:
I'm failing to read this paragraph as anything other than "Who buys a freaking handheld system for handheld games?". Anyone able to help me out here?

No. I'm saying who wants to play Uncharted games on your handheld? A vocal minority. A game like Sound Shapes is much more in-line with what people want out of their handhelds. And, at least in the west, the system will succeed or fail on how good that segment of the market is. Not on second string handoffs and console ports.

zomgbbqftw said:
I'm surprised by the amount of faux rage on the Vita memory card prices. This wasn't exactly surprising, proprietary memory on a much cheaper than expected device was always going to be more expensive than the cheapest form of memory. Anyway, I think the core $249 pack will be limited and a value pack with screen protector and 4GB card will be sold at $269. Just like PSP really...
it automatically makes the Vita more expensive.
A 4gb card holds 2 games...

Sony could have easily adopted the SD format and threw in a cheap 4gb SD card for free, and the Vita would have been seen as a great value.

But they didn't. Instead they chose to nickle and dime consumers, which tends to push off sales unless your product is ultra-popular already (which a PSP without Monster Hunter is not).

DMPrince said:
sounds like 3DS lol.
3DS gets around 3 hours on max everything running Zelda.
The Vita looks like with similar settings it will have to work to get half of that.

LegoDad

What sucks is that we can't even get an extended battery to put in the device.... It'll always be 3 hours of gaming, which isn't very long for roadtrips.

StuBurns

Banned
UncleSporky said:
That wasn't my statement, but you misrepresented the utility of having non-cart general storage. It's used for far more things than video and music (which are indeed still important).
Do you, or do you not believe people will spend 95% of their time on non-game cart activities on their PSVs?

thefro

It doesn't sound like they've given people on the fence a reason to buy this yet.

Obviously, the folks who love Sony 1st party games and want to play ports on the go will already sign up but that's not enough to improve their position in the market. They may actually go back to being in the same position they were in before Monster Hunter saved the system in Japan.

darkside31337 said:
Get what? Sony lost out on tons of money by shipping their system with a hard drive built in and then on top of that not selling their own hard drive only like their direct competitor did.

To be honest they're being pretty smart about this. Sell the unit at a relatively low price while recouping that money on accessories.

Yea, anyone expecting PS3 level openness from Vita/PS4 is smoking something. This was the one shot at a very, very open system. Instead people paid $100 for 20GB hard drives.

This is tip of the iceberg. I fully expect hard drives, paying to play online, etc next gen. :(

I was rocking a 4GB stick in my PSP for a long time and that cost almost $100 at the time. I bought a 16GB stick last year and still paid a hell a lot more than those Vita memory units. It is shocking how much lower memory prices have dropped in just 1 year.

balladofwindfishes said:
it automatically makes the Vita more expensive.
A 4gb card holds 2 games...

Sony could have easily adopted the SD format and threw in a cheap 4gb SD card for free, and the Vita would have been seen as a great value.

But they didn't. Instead they chose to nickle and dime consumers, which tends to push off sales unless your product is ultra-popular already (which a PSP without Monster Hunter is not).

The Vita looks like with similar settings it will have to work to get half of that.

You're not forced to buy your games on PSN, this is why they still have physical releases. So in my opinion, this is a not a problem at all.

LOL at those comparing the 3DS' autonomy and the Vita's, one displays Gamecube like graphics at the best of its ability, the other one is a sub-PS3, lets be serious here.

StuBurns said:
Do you, or do you not believe people will spend 95% of their time on non-game cart activities on their PSVs?
It depends on the person. Do they love downloadable games and essentially spend all their time playing them?

Do you or do you not believe that video and music are the only use for non-cart storage?

mclem

1-D_FTW said:
No. I'm saying who wants to play Uncharted games on your handheld? A vocal minority. A game like Sound Shapes is much more in-line with what people want out of their handhelds. And, at least in the west, the system will succeed or fail on how good that segment of the market is. Not on second string handoffs and console ports.

So your point was the Uncharted bit, not the *cart* bit? It seems like a nonsequiteur to then talk about memory cards, then, given the context was discussions of cart saving vs. memory card saving. That's what threw me.

faridmon

I see that both 3DS and Vita don't want my money. That shit is absurd!

I guess I have to wait for a price drop for both of them.

StuBurns

Banned
UncleSporky said:
It depends on the person. Do they love downloadable games and essentially spend all their time playing them?

Do you or do you not believe that video and music are the only use for non-cart storage?
I used hyperbole ironically because I was responding to a post that did.

Pazuzu9 said:
TTP said:
Why did they go for a proprietary format for the big one I don't understand.
Hang on... the big one is how they're gonna sell games at retail? That was bound to be proprietary. It's the equivalent of a UMD, NGC (for DS), etc.

And it's the smaller one (that could easily have been a MicroSD or M2) that they're dicking us over with? That's the one you need to buy to have storage for PSN games, saves, basically everything the Duo did in a PSP...

But then Wiki says it's the bigger NVG card that will have variable capacities?

WTF? I'm confused.
Can somebody clear this up for me?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
balladofwindfishes said:
There is no indication that Vita is only going to provide an hour and a half of playtime, though.

It's not like running Zelda is a big feat for the 3DS either. It doesn't even match a first generation Gamecube title visually and isn't using online functionality. How will it perform running Monster Hunter using wi-fi? That's the more important question.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
mik83kuu said:
ITT: People who expected 8+ hours battery life get mad.

Pretty much. PSP had a similar battery life unless you were running like PSX games, so I'm sort-of okay with this.

I'm not okay with no memory card slot + internal battery, however. :|

Angry Fork

I wouldn't be surprised if there will be deals on amazon or newegg to get the memory cards cheaper. Or maybe there will be cheaper 3rd party cards that do the same thing. It does suck there's no internal storage though that means you basically have to buy a mem card with the Vita? Or can you still play some games without a memory card but you won't be able to save or something?

I'm fine with battery life, sounds the same as PSP which I've always been okay with. Wish Gravity Daze was a launch title.

balladofwindfishes said:
How could you know this? It says 3-5 hours which presumably means that 3 is the minimum with everything on + playing a game.

StuBurns said:
I used hyperbole ironically because I was responding to a post that did.
Occasionally I do that as well, but the thing is that there are actually people who will spend 95% of their time playing downloaded games. Downloaded games are of high enough quality now that this is not an unreasonable assertion. It's not total hyperbole.

Yeah I was one of the chumps who paid $100 for a 1GB card when PSP launched. Difference is, Vita is a much more connected device and I expect to store a lot more on it. I'm not happy with the storage approach and I'm dissapointed with the battery life. Reinforces my plan of waiting for Vita 2.0

gembel

looks like you can remote to your PS3
5d86abab.jpg

Ha, terrible ...

I'll be waiting on this. Unless Uncharted is absolutely awesome and a longer game than I think it will be (4-6 hours) I'll pick one up off of Craigslist a couple months after the launch.

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
I dont understand the question, it is a proprietary format, ONE format, as far as I know, there aren't two different types of cards for the Vita.
VitaSDcomparison.png

I'm talking about the one second from left... or it's that just some bullshit shoop?

Always funny to see people dissatisfied with some aspects of a console (like 3DS) and saying "I'll wait for the next version", why are you assuming that there'll be a Vita 2.0 with a better battery, this is it right there, won't be another version hum, or a light one, with a better battery.

Ah ok, yeah I didnt remember that for the cards, my bad.

Angry Fork said:
How could you know this? It says 3-5 hours which presumably means that 3 is the minimum with everything on + playing a game.
it's 3-5 running at all defaults (medium brightness, no WiFi, medium sized game). This we know from the press release.

The 3DS is 3 running every setting at max, with a high graphic intensive game, a the medium settings it's closer to 5-6, and at low settings (running a DS game), it's around 7-8.

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
Always funny to see people dissatisfied with some aspects of a console (like 3DS) and saying "I'll wait for the next version", why are you assuming that there'll be a Vita 2.0 with a better battery, this is it right there, won't be another version hum, or a light one, without any better battery.

how many revisions did the psp have again?

dark10x said:
There is no indication that Vita is only going to provide an hour and a half of playtime, though.

It's not like running Zelda is a big feat for the 3DS either. It doesn't even match a first generation Gamecube title visually and isn't using online functionality. How will it perform running Monster Hunter using wi-fi? That's the more important question.

RE: Mercenaries gets around 3 hours when playing online in 3D with brightness on level 4 (not sure about max, I only ever use brightness 4 or 3). MH3G Tri will almost certainly be the same.

Angry Fork said:

Read my earlier posts and you'll see why he's probably right here.

Top Bottom