• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Vita Press release - games list, battery life ('3-5 hours'), memory card info

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
Always funny to see people dissatisfied with some aspects of a console (like 3DS) and saying "I'll wait for the next version", why are you assuming that there'll be a Vita 2.0 with a better battery, this is it right there, won't be another version hum, or a light one, without any better battery.

1. They will add storage to this thing, pretty standard trend
2. They will shrink the size/weight, or improve form factor, also pretty standard trend
3. Although the battery may not get much better, efficiency of the machine will improve. Also pretty standard trend.

Personally I just don't think this thing can deliver as a portable experience yet, but I expect it to get there in a few years.

gembel said:
from the left: Vita game card, Vita memory card
Yes...

So my question is... why is Wiki saying that the game card comes in different capacities? Surely it is the memory card that comes in different capacities?

george_us

OldJadedGamer said:
And again, gamers have been bitching about this for 6 years... why wouldn't They complain now?
Because, like DLC, they still buy it en masse. At some point gamers either need to take a stand and not buy it or shut the hell up.

Only thing I'm really disappointed in is the memory cards. Battery life sucks but I was expecting it to be at PSP level at best. Those memory card prices though...yeah.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
caliblue15 said:
What sucks is that we can't even get an extended battery to put in the device.... It'll always be 3 hours of gaming, which isn't very long for roadtrips.
vita2009-09-0412-04-25800px.jpg

thats my plan atleast.

MoogPaul

Instead of buying a 32g memory card, you could buy a 3ds for like 4k more yen. Craziness. I hate this generation of portables. Boo to both Nintendo and Sony.

Pazuzu9 said:
Yes...

So my question is... why is Wiki saying that the game card comes in different capacities? Surely it is the memory card that comes in different capacities?
Because it does? 2GB & 4GB cards.

Angry Fork

wtf I just saw that Square Enix is bringing FFX to Vita? Why is nobody else talking about this that's day one.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Read my earlier posts and you'll see why he's probably right here.
It's possible but I think it's too early to say for sure. An hour and a half on max settings sounds with everything on sounds silly. It's not a deal breaker for me though since I likely won't have all those things on at the same time anyway but it does sound too low.

Angry Fork said:
If they allow you to remote play PS3 games on the go via wifi or something I'll do a backflip. Fuuuuck I'm hyped.

In the event that this was possible, what would be done about the lack of shoulder buttons?

joshwaan

WOW!!! at the memory card prices

I'm still getting a Vita though + a 32GB stick, can't help myself need to store my PSP & Vita games :)

Angry Fork

revolverjgw said:
In the event that this was possible, what would be done about the lack of shoulder buttons?
The back touch screen will probably do that, like if you tap it it could be L2/R2 I'd imagine.

DaSorcerer7 said:
there's a thread on it mate.
Whoops didn't realize. I just went to gaf and went straight to Vita press release haven't seen the other threads yet =P

pharmboy044 said:
Because it does? 2GB & 4GB cards.
"NVG game cards will be available in size from 2 GB to 16 GB, with 2 GB and 4 GB versions available at launch."

So the 16GB ones are only for massive games that might come later? Or are they or saving stuff on?

This still doesn't make sense.

balladofwindfishes said:
The 3DS is 3 running every setting at max, with a high graphic intensive game, a the medium settings it's closer to 5-6, and at low settings (running a DS game), it's around 7-8.

As he's already said, OoT 3D is not a "high graphic intensive game" and it's not using online functionality. I guess Vita will last for an hour and a half and 3DS for half an hour going by your logic!

Gravijah

Pazuzu9 said:
"NVG game cards will be available in size from 2 GB to 16 GB, with 2 GB and 4 GB versions available at launch."

So the 16GB ones are only for massive games that might come later? Or are they or saving stuff on?

The storage size of "cart" based gaming mediums always gets bigger in size. The DS cards got relatively massive near the end.

Curufinwe

If I get a Vita at launch it'll be to play Wipeout 2048, and since you can save progress to the game card I can wait till later in 2012 to buy a memory card. Hopefully after the prices come down a little.

batteryl425.jpg

I think this image is from the official PSP 3000 specs and, if it is, I will be happy with Vita's battery life most likely.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Gravijah said:
The storage size of "cart" based gaming mediums always gets bigger in size. The DS cards got relatively massive near the end.
Ok. So if I'm just going to buy Vita games off PSN, I don't have to ever own the larger NVG card, and instead I just need to buy a large capacity Vita Memory Card?

And surely... you'll eventually be able to buy cheaper versions of this Memory Card off eBay... I mean... they're just M2s in a slightly different case right?

I'm not too happy about battery life on either portable system (especially when it comes to the less advanced 3DS).

We need some nice advancements as far as rechargable batteries in the future that's for sure.

French

Banned
Angry Fork said:
wtf I just saw that Square Enix is bringing FFX to Vita? Why is nobody else talking about this that's day one.

When the biggest announcement of a conference is an HD port of a PS2 game, you know that something is wrong.

Pazuzu9 said:

Like you said, the 16GB cards will be used in the future if the software calls for it but Sony is going to start off having the devs use the 2GB and 4GB cards.

I don't think it's known when exactly the larger capacity cards will be used.

BATTERY: keep in mind sony noted the battery life is with default settings. nintendo's theoretical 8 hours play time is with brightness all the way down and every bell and whistle disabled, and playing a regular DS game. hopefully some finalized units will go out for hands-on reviews with the press before it launches in japan. i'd like them to do some testing of their own to see how to maximize the battery and how playable it is at low brightness, etc.

i'm not too worried about it though. i'll have a USB charger (USB port in car, and pretty much everywhere else) and the dock. my girlfriend's 3DS is dying all the time and i own a Samsung Vibrant (those that own one un-rooted will know what i mean) so we're used to charging our gadgets when not in use. :p

GAMES: i just can't get over the game announcements. JUST the right amount of desirable japanese franchises (that hopefully make it over here) for a launch window. not too many to cause a lot of good titles to get lost in the shuffle. US launch sounds like it will be good too, based on what western titles will be launched with the japanese version + what sony has said will be ready for launch. (hope they don't pull a nintendo on us)

MEMORY CARDS: a little annoyed that i have to buy memory cards, but at the same time i'm hopeful that sony will implement a means to allow you to access it's data on a new PSV unit if your old one breaks or dies. something as simple as turning it on, re-registering it, log into PSN, and then insert card and initialize it. then all your content shows up. $120 isn't that bad for 32gb, especially considering most of the time those yen-to-dollars conversions end up being in our favor in the end anyway. i wouldn't be surprised if it landed for $100.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sony has updated their Japanese PSVita site.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvita/

Digging around... for starters I think it confirms you can use the music player to play background music while playing games.

edit - Less certain, but I think it also says you can open the browser during games and movies...up to 8 windows open. But much less certain about that :p Perhaps someone with Japanese could have a look.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm sure the 32GB will translate to around 100 or less when it hits. If not then I'm going with the 16GB. I am definitely leaning towards the 32GB one though.

seady

Wait... The Vita doesnt have internal storage? And it doesn't even use SD card/ memory stick?

memory card?! Are we in 1995?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Relevant to storage, the site also explains the Content Management app, and what happens if you want to download something but have run out of space. You can use that to back up content to a PS3 or PC. It says that all the operations are done on the Vita's end, although maybe that's true only for PS3.

img_6.jpg

joshwaan said:
260g for the Wifi version that sounds light how heavy is the PSP 3000?
189g. I still find this too heavy, so 260g is too much for me.

I sold my 1000 (280g) for a 2000 for this very reason. The Go is 158g, which is perfect.

So I'm a little disappointed by the weight, after people mentioned how light they thought it was. I guess this is because it's a little larger than a 1000, but is 20g lighter.

But idealy it needs to be under the 200g mark, so I'm gonna wait for a redesign.

Yeah, this is exactly the reason I get a chuckle ever time I go into the Vita thread. TWO HUNDRED FORTY NINE US DOLLARS (plus90dollarmemorycardplustaxtitleandinsurance)

So basically this plus a card plus a game after tax is going to set you back around $450.

Well, I bought my 360 and PS3 at full price at release, I ain't scurred.

The battery life and weight are a bigger issue for me.

Gravijah

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Yeah, this is exactly the reason I get a chuckle ever time I go into the Vita thread. TWO HUNDRED FORTY NINE US DOLLARS (plus90dollarmemorycardplustaxtitleandinsurance)

So basically this plus a card plus a game after tax is going to set you back around $450.

Well, I bought my 360 and PS3 at full price at release, I ain't scurred.

Amazon. No tax*, my boy.

*Unless you live in one of those shitty places where you are taxed for online orders.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Fine Ham Abounds said:
I have plan.

And that plan is to steal a few 32 giger cards.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
seady said:
Wait... The Vita doesnt have internal storage? And it doesn't even use SD card/ memory stick?

memory card?! Are we in 1995?
It's a hidden cost indeed. Basically a random japanese consumer with about 300$ to spend will have a choice to make:

Vita
+ 8gig card (will be the most popular size I think)

or

3DS
+ Monster Hunter
+ Mario Kart
+ Super Mario Land (or New Love Plus/PES 2012/Inzuma Eleven/SD Gundam, etc.)
+ Zelda 4 Swords

Vita will need lots of hype and 3DS lots of bad press to make it a tough choice.

saichi

Delivering such unparalleled portable gaming experience at launch is 26 exciting software titles from both SCE and our publishing and developing partners. In addition to these launch titles, more than 74 games are currently in development and are expected to be released for the PS Vita system. For more details, please refer to the separately attached files “PlayStation®Vita launch titles.”

IS Sony playing tricks on me? This statement doesn't say 100 games would be released during "launch window". It just says 100 games are in development and 26 will be at launch.

StuBurns

Banned
saichi said:
Delivering such unparalleled portable gaming experience at launch is 26 exciting software titles from both SCE and our publishing and developing partners. In addition to these launch titles, more than 74 games are currently in development and are expected to be released for the PS Vita system. For more details, please refer to the separately attached files “PlayStation®Vita launch titles.”

IS Sony playing tricks on me? This statement doesn't say 100 games would be released during "launch window". It just says 100 games are in development and 26 will be at launch.
Why did you assume it was launch window?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
StuBurns said:
Why did you assume it was launch window?

Eurogamer reported that these games were due by the end of March. Not sure where they got that from, but think it's far more reasonable to assume this is the typical 'announced games' list per the actual press release rather than a list of games coming up to March (!)

Josh7289

Wait.

Wait wait wait.

Are the memory cards proprietary?

Are you seriously telling me it's 2011 and we're required to purchase proprietary memory cards?

What. The. Fuck.

Top Bottom