• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Vita Press release - games list, battery life ('3-5 hours'), memory card info

DiscoJer

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if 3rd parties come out either with memory cards of their own, or better yet, adapters, so you can use SD or MS Duo cards.

If so, problem solved.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
What are the chances of Sony allowing me to download Vita games on the PS3 for transfer?

I thought I was gonna get the 32 giger stick, but not with that price, so this alternative would at least save me time and bandwidth.

(I'm already at the bargaining phase)

Erethian

Durante said:
Those aren't insults, those are statements of fact.

You have a point about memory card prices though, they are a complete rip-off. I guess Sony learned from MS' success with HDD pricing.

In what way is undercutting your digital download strategy through expensive memory cards a good business decision?

Goldrusher

Videos
MPEG-4 Simple Profile (AAC)
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High/Main/Baseline Profile (AAC)

Not that PSP bullshit again.

Why not support the same formats the PS3 supports ? Where's MPEG1, MPEG2, AVI/motion JPEG, AVCHD, DivX, WMV/VC-1, etc. ?

PantyPhantom said:
Nope. I'd still have my bicycle and I would get to work without buying a car :) same as in you don't have to buy the memory card. You don't get it do you?

Full functionality? Please explain. From what we have heard/read you DON'T need a memory card but it MIGHT be necessary for some games. That's all we know.

but what if I want a game that needs the memory card? Then i "have" to buy the memory card to play a game I want to play.

dwu8991

Banned
DiscoJer said:
Anyway, it will be interesting to see if 3rd parties come out either with memory cards of their own, or better yet, adapters, so you can use SD or MS Duo cards.

If so, problem solved.

Its compatible with SD cards, so I don't see why not?

Wasn't expecting cheap memory cards and will most likely import them, EU prices should be huge for these cards. This haven't really made me any less hyped about the Vita though. Loved what they showed from the UI, looked smooth and easy.

Re: Some games not saving to game card.

Might it be like Mario Kart 64? Game saves to cart, ghosts save to memory card.

Also, some genres of games need bigger saves than others. A good way to see is how much memory card space console games take. It reminds me of the GC, where Luigis Mansion took up 3 "slots" and Madden required like 150.

Franchise mode + custom players etc etc = big space hog.

Erethian

iamaustrian said:
Will there be cheaper 3rd party memory cards?
those prices are ridiculous to say at least

also lol at the battery life. With online enabled and higher screen brightness you will get 2h of gameplay, I bet my ass. Nyko to rescue!

The battery can't be replaced.

DiscoJer said:

If so, problem solved.
I don't think sony would allow a company to do that. Kind of defeats the purpose.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Deadly Joker said:
The 32GB memory card equals around $125 dollars in America.

shit. In my head I'm still 200Y to the £ so £50 is painful but OK. but the Yen is might strong now so its more like £80..

Noshino

OrangeGrayBlue said:
What you claim: being able to see beyond what you want and look at the situation logically.

What I see:

-Twisting facts (or being unaware of them) to soften the blow against this memory card pricing. The add-on is not mandatory for ANY game. Memory cards, for some games, are.

-Unnecessary insult

-The reason for $120 32GB memory cards is because Sony is dedicated to offering the consumer bleeding edge technology?
-Maintaining a healthy software and hardware business is their reason for existing. I guess paying twice what you should for memory cards is a way for them to do this, but you're practically thanking them for it. Anyone who puts their own interests before a company's would NOT get slapped in the face like this and hug them for it.

-Again, twisting facts. That add-on is optional in the same way Sixaxis motion controls are on PS3. A memory card is optional for playing PSVita games in the way a left thumb is.

The only conclusion I can make is that you're very biased toward Sony and I think you've given me ample evidence to believe such. This includes several insults toward Nintendo (hardware is shit, ugly add-on), spinning facts to work in Sony's favor, and rationalizing an ethically acceptable reason for double-priced memory cards all contribute to this. The fact that you call all that "looking at the situation logically" only puts the cherry on top of it all.

edit- He's banned?! All in vain :(

Huh?

At no point has it been mentioned that memory cards will be needed for games, they may be for some games (but likely to happen), but nothing set on stone (which imo might also happen with the slide pad, but we ll see)

Same with the storage of choice, we don't know the specs of the new format, so why call him out on that?

So you are accusing the guy of twisting facts, but you do so yourself as well. The information released thus far is very vague, very hard to make any bold statement, better wait til we know more.

gogogow

DiscoJer said:

If so, problem solved.

Very risky to buy one adapter if they are gonna ban the device one day.
Microsoft at least banned the shit out of this Datel device:

360maxmem2gb3.jpg

MLH

Making money off consumables rather than the main device is terrible business practice. We've seen it before with companies like Polaroid, they focused on making money off the Polaroid film while taking loses on the cameras. Other companies made cheaper films for the camera and out priced them.

Sony is in the same position, what is stopping 3rd parties from making memory sticks for Vita? Maybe an SD attachment?

the battery life for system isnt that bad. for the specs and the powerful CPU/GPU inside is worth it! im still awaiting for the official specs on how fast the CPU is heh! and wonder if it will be march 2012 for N.A. gamers to get hands on with the system!

panty

DoomXploder7 said:
but what if I want a game that needs the memory card? Then i "have" to buy the memory card to play a game I want to play.
Gravijah said:
I'm talking about the equivalent of 3DSware/PSN/XBLA.

Huh? No it isn't.
I think I said it earlier but isn't that obvious? If you want to dl something from the PSN you need the card. It still isn't mandatory but if if if if you want a game that doesn't come in a physical form, then you need the memory card.

Goldrusher said:
Not that PSP bullshit again.

Why not support the same formats the PS3 supports ? Where's MPEG1, MPEG2, AVI/motion JPEG, AVCHD, DivX, WMV/VC-1, etc. ?

In the case of Vita, it's because Vita is based on a superset of hardware used in mobile phones. That hardware generally includes hardware decoding support of H.264, the de-facto standard for mobile video. So that's what Vita supports.

Erethian

Durante said:
Did I say it was a good business decision?

Unless this:

I guess Sony learned from MS' success with HDD pricing.

Was sarcasm. Because Microsoft did suffer from having no storage capacity for the Core without buying an accessory, which is why they've steadily upped the internal storage over time.

Not to mention that Sony is trying to have this system compete with smartphones by offering bite-sized digital titles. Which you'll now need to buy an overpriced memory card to download.

Hanmik

could some moderator please be so kind to gather all the info in the OT..? it´s annoying to go through all posts to find some info..

guek

Banned
PantyPhantom said:
Nope. I'd still have my bicycle and I would get to work without buying a car :) same as in you don't have to buy the memory card. You don't get it do you?

Full functionality? Please explain. From what we have heard/read you DON'T need a memory card but it MIGHT be necessary for some games. That's all we know.

How the hell can you know that? Shed some light please.

Get real yourself.

Source?

1. Full functionality as in the ability to play PSN games. Yes, you will need to buy a memory stick in order to play PSN games because ->

2. PSN games are comprised of this thing called DATA which is stored usually in the form of BYTES on some kind of hardware. The vita lacks this hardware, thus wont be able to play PSN games without an additional purchase. Do you really need a source for this?

I'm not even talking about whether or not same games need a memory stick. Let's pretend we're in the magical fairy land you live in where sony says some games might require a memory stick when what they really mean is no game you want to play will ever require one. Even in that pretend, make believe world, you'd still need to buy one to get full functionality out of a vita if you wanted to use it for everything it was designed to do, IE., playing PSN games.

Durante said:
Those aren't insults, those are statements of fact.

You have a point about memory card prices though, they are a complete rip-off. I guess Sony learned from MS' success with HDD pricing.

When you take them in context of his other statements, I'd consider them insults. If the full statement was "I'd really like to play MH with dual-analog but that add-on is ugly" then sure, it's just a statement of opinion. But when it's tossed into Sony propaganda I think it becomes a pretty clear insult. Same for the "hardware is shit" comment, although a case could be made that calling it "shit" is a little counterproductive toward producing worthwhile debate.

Neoriceisgood said:
Don't worry! I greatly enjoyed reading your post! So it wasn't all in vain after all!

obama-spidey-fistbump.jpg

Atomski

DiscoJer said:

If so, problem solved.
I figured the point of having new memory sticks was to avoid third party ones.. They are trying to avoid piracy and all so I'd imagine there will be some sort of security on these sticks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ShockingAlberto said:
2GB card and 2GB external storage.

But SD is cheap and Nintendo doesn't make it. Sony is cutting PSN games on Vita off at the knees to get more money off accessory prices.

which is backwards. Assuming similar PSN pricing to retail (to appease retailers), Sony can make quite a lot more from PSN sales, so they should be encouraging them over physical cards.

angelfly

iamaustrian said:
what? no way to open the Vita? like with the 3DS i mean
3DS battery is designed to be user replaceable while Vita's isn't. So if we do get third party batteries you'll have to void your warranty by opening it up to install it.

Noshino said:
Huh?

At no point has it been mentioned that memory cards will be needed for games, they may be for some games (but likely to happen), but nothing set on stone (which imo might also happen with the slide pad, but we ll see)

Same with the storage of choice, we don't know the specs of the new format, so why call him out on that?

So you are accusing the guy of twisting facts, but you do so yourself as well. The information released thus far is very vague, very hard to make any bold statement, better wait til we know more.

I was under the impression it's been confirmed that some games (which is what I intended, sorry if it didn't come across that way) will require it?

Gravijah

PantyPhantom said:
I think I said it earlier but isn't that obvious? If you want to dl something from the PSN you need the card. It still isn't mandatory but if if if if you want a game that doesn't come in a physical form, then you need the memory card.

They are not required, but you are effectively gimping your system if you do not have one.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Huh. I thought all of the games had their own memory for save states (they are flash cards right?). So, basically the memory cards are for downloads/etc? Is this a new type of memory stick/card I'm assuming?

Luigiv

Nuclear Muffin said:
Edit

WTF?! Fuck this shit! I thought that all games would come with their own flash memory space for saving data on (like DS and 3DS game cards).

Ugh! So the Vita effectively becomes a minimum purchase price of $270 (since you have to have a memory card for certain games) Now there's effectively almost a $100 difference between the Vita and the 3DS. Not good, not good at all.
Nope. It's been confirmed since day one that Vita game cards would only with one memory pool (partitioned between read only and rewritable). Developers are required to sacrifice ROM space if they want to save data to the card.

Also,

** Public Service Announcement**
Micro SD adaptors will never happen.

It is simply not possible. Observe:

Exhibit A
playstation-vita-memory-cards-02.jpg

Size of Game card relative to regular SD card

Exhibit B
180px-Playstation_vita_media.svg.png

Size of Memory card as compared to Game card

Exhibit C
kingston-2gb-microsd.jpg

Size of regular next to micro SD

Vita Memory Cards and Micro SD cards are too close in size for an adaptor to even be physically possible.

Erethian

Kintaro said:
Huh. I thought all of the games had their own memory for save states (they are flash cards right?). So, basically the memory cards are for downloads/etc? Is this a new type of memory stick/card I'm assuming?

New proprietary format. Don't know if Sony plans to use it in any of their other hardware, or just Vita.

And from the PDF some games may require you have a memory card to save game data.

Noshino

OrangeGrayBlue said:
I was under the impression it's been confirmed that some games (which is what I intended, sorry if it didn't come across that way) will require it?

oh, I didn't know that

Do you happen to know which ones do?

Aselith

OrangeGrayBlue said:

A memory card will be 100% guaranteed for anything only available on PSN only for sure. Consider how many games are released for PS3 on PSN currently. It's a big business and it is a tragedy if developers will be cutting themselves off from some consumers because the memory pricing is ridiculous. Memory should be as low as possible to encourage people to spend money for PSN content. That's going to make Sony a lot more money than the assrape cards. I think they're back in their hubris period and think people will work a second job for memory or whatever. It's stupid and short sighted.

Durante

Erethian said:
Unless this:
Was sarcasm.
It was. The limited storage and ridiculous HDD prices led me to buy all multiplatform downloadable games on PSN. I can't imagine that that was a good deal for MS.

panty

glaurung said:
If I remember correct, Sony's system specification required each and every Vita cartridge to have dedicated space for two purposes:
  • Game updates and DLC, i.e. game's own data.
  • Game save space, which would also be writable by the system software.
Lets quote this one again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Noshino said:
oh, I didn't know that

Do you happen to know which ones do?

press release just says that the individual games will make it clear if they need it. So probably an icon/info on the back of the box (requires 128MB free space on memory card or similar)

edit: Press release quote

<Reference: About Saving Game’s Saved Data>
Some PS Vita software titles may require the use of separately sold memory card for saving game’s
saved data while some software titles are capable of saving it on to the PS Vita card itself. Please refer
to the PS Vita game packages or game manuals for further details.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You`ll need a memory stick for games like FF XI. But most other titles should be fine without it.

Anything on software prices ?

Atomski

Kintaro said:

Remember how the n64 had games that required a memory card even though they were on a cart? Some Vita games are supposedly just like that.

Erethian

Durante said:
It was. The limited storage and ridiculous HDD prices led me to buy all multiplatform downloadable games on PSN. I can't imagine that that was a good deal for MS.

Ah, yeah.

I think people just naturally assume overpriced accessories do really well. When they're probably high margin/low volume products. And if you were a developer for a digital only title on PSV you'd want as many people being able to download your game as possible.

KingDizzi

Banned
The Vita is turning into quite the train wreck, won't be buying the system for a couple years at least now for sure. Preposterous memory card costs.

Number45

PantyPhantom said:
I'm sure they've stated multiple times that all games will be available DD, but not all games will have carts. I think Sound Shapes might be DD only, but I'm not 100% on that.

Noshino

mrklaw said:
press release just says that the individual games will make it clear if they need it. So probably an icon/info on the back of the box (requires 128MB free space on memory card or similar)

edit: Press release quote

I know that, but no titles have been announced/confirmed to need a memory card.

And that's my point, it could be a preemptive warning/label and not happen (unlikely), but til we have solid proof that titles do need memory cards, then .. well, its dumb to make bold statements such as the ones that have been going around this thread.

Top Bottom