• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Weight Loss Before/After thread! Pics ahoy!

New comparison. Having a hard time losing my last 20 lbs.

usa5e4yp.jpg

Fistwell

New comparison. Having a hard time losing my last 20 lbs.

usa5e4yp.jpg
That's pretty awesome, dude. Mind sharing (again) your numbers, height, initial/current/goal weight, workout routine? I've seen bits and pieces before but I'm curious to see where you're at. Dont mean that in a creepy stalker kind of way, but I seem to recall I'm roughly your height (I'm 6'2). Working on my last 10ish Kg myself (from 125Kg in March down to 86Kg this morning, 275lbs to 190lbs). Was curious to compare numbers and routines (I'm mainly only running).

That's pretty awesome, dude. Mind sharing (again) your numbers, height, initial/current/goal weight, workout routine? I've seen bits and pieces before but I'm curious to see where you're at. Dont mean that in a creepy stalker kind of way, but I seem to recall I'm roughly your height (I'm 6'2). Working on my last 10ish Kg myself (from 125Kg in March down to 86Kg this morning, 275lbs to 190lbs). Was curious to compare numbers and routines (I'm mainly only running).

I'm 6'2". Started at 342 lbs.. Currently 210. My goal is 190 lbs. My initial goal was 220, but I wasn't happy with my appearance at that weight.

I lift 3-4 days a week and run 20-30 miles a week. I haven't dipped below 20 miles/week since late Feb.

I pretty much eat what I want right now which has really retarded my weight loss.

Fistwell

I'm 6'2". Started at 342 lbs.. Currently 210. My goal is 190 lbs. My initial goal was 220, but I wasn't happy with my appearance at that weight.

I lift 3-4 days a week and run 20-30 miles a week. I haven't dipped below 20 miles/week since late Feb.

I pretty much eat what I want right now which has really retarded my weight loss.
Cool, thanks for the reply. What kind of lifting are you doing and how big an impact has it had for you? As mentioned, I've only been running (6 times a week, 7.5Km), dunno if I can get arsed to add more work to my routine. Slowly starting to consider it though, as weight loss has slowed down.

I began using a trainer fall of last year. We met a few days a week and developed a pretty well-rounded workout routine. I stopped using her in March and since then, it's been all chest, shoulders, back and arms. Because of the rapid weight loss, I have a lower abdominal hernia which prevents any substantial core work.

I think it makes a huge difference. When you lose over 130 pounds in just over a year, you have to replace that fat with something. Plus, what good is being thin if you're also weak?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I just wanted to say how proud I am, and how happy for, I am of everyone in this thread. Great work, guys. The journey is tough, but the end result feels magical. Keep on going at it - your strength of will and dedication is an exemplary example of the human spirit.

Fistwell

I began using a trainer fall of last year. We met a few days a week and developed a pretty well-rounded workout routine. I stopped using her in March and since then, it's been all chest, shoulders, back and arms. Because of the rapid weight loss, I have a lower abdominal hernia which prevents any substantial core work.

I think it makes a huge difference. When you lose over 130 pounds in just over a year, you have to replace that fat with something. Plus, what good is being thin if you're also weak?
lol I dont mind being weak but I do see your point.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any good ipad exercise apps for beginners? Something that can be done at home with either body weight or stuff lying around the house for light weights. Trying to read about various simple workouts and the array of different exercises is frying my brain. Thinking that something more guided would be helpful.

I have an exercise bike for cardio and legs so looking for something for *beginner* strength exercises maybe 2-3 times per week?

Friends Birthday was yesterday so we went out to eat.

AB4x79n.jpg

Appetizer - Pan Crisped Pork Belly with goat cheese Grits and onion chutney

ZB3e0AX.jpg

Salad - Candied Walnuts and Cranbies with tomatoes and a crostini.

6th2ekt.jpg

Porcini Rubbed Filet Mignon with Asparagus

ahzmIe7.jpg

Walnut Turtle Pie with some whip cream

pnuLns3.jpg

Dark Chocolate Truffle Martini.

then went to their house. several shots of Hennessey and some Bud Light.

Weight looks fine though.. lol.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Week 2 of T25 down and I've lost another 6lbs this week. I'm lost almost half of my goal weight.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Any good ipad exercise apps for beginners? Something that can be done at home with either body weight or stuff lying around the house for light weights. Trying to read about various simple workouts and the array of different exercises is frying my brain. Thinking that something more guided would be helpful.

I have an exercise bike for cardio and legs so looking for something for *beginner* strength exercises maybe 2-3 times per week?

I would recommend getting a pull-up bar. Those one's they sell for the doorways are fine, I actually mounted it on a beam in my basement. Otherwise, you don't really need anything.

Pushups, pullups, chinups, dips (between two folding chairs or whatever) and pistol squats will give you a pretty good start. Though pistol squats can be challenging if you aren't quite there yet. Add in some cardio. This is enough.

The most important thing is diet and nutrition. You get that sorted and start with these basic body weight exercises to wake up your body and remind it that you still have muscles.

Then, join a gym. And lift weights. Free weights.

Gotta get back on it. Shit with work and life has been really irratic so I've been eating all fucked up. Trying to get back on it. I had lost about 50 pounds and gained half of it back. I need to lose about 100 pounds total so I'm hoping low carb can be kept up again for me.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Been struggling, for the past week I've been dreading working out and hating every minute of it while I'm doing it. It's like a switch has flipped and I've lost all motivation, and to top it off I only lost 1lb this week.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Seems like a time of year where people like to get comfy. I've personally been hitting 180 more often than I'd like recently. It's a combination of having started driving, so less cycling, and finding a girlfriend which makes it a bit harder to eat right.

I know the problem, and I've got a good path going forward to fix it. I just need to keep on top of my shit. With all the loose skin I'm pretty happy if I stay below 180. The closer to 175 the better though.

Let's not let the holidays fuck us up, guys.

On another note, I want to congratulate another Gaffer I know very well on his massive and impressive loss. He doesn't post in this thread and so I don't want to make him uncomfortable by "outing" him but I'm so fucking stoked and proud. He's doing it the right way, too.I hope he reads this!

Pons

Neo Member
On another note, I want to congratulate another Gaffer I know very well on his massive and impressive loss. He doesn't post in this thread and so I don't want to make him uncomfortable by "outing" him but I'm so fucking stoked and proud. He's doing it the right way, too.I hope he reads this!

Thanks bro, you aren't outing me, I just don't post much :)

Einbroch

Banned
Two weeks later, I'm down 10 pounds. I know, water weight, but still. I bit the bullet and ordered a few things.

Konjac Glucomannan Powder: This stuff is a thickening agent but has zero carbs and is pure fiber. It's is great in a protein shake. One scoop of protein powder + a spoon of this + a drop or two of Ez-Sweetz and it's an amazing and filling afternoon snack. Have to be really quick when downing the stuff, though. It turns into gel fast. This stuff is also hilarious. Food? Hilarious? Sure! It's 10x more powerful than corn starch. Kids love it. You can make tasty SLIME! I've been testing recipes on the neighborhood kids, and I have a few I'm going to bring to a Halloween party for them.

CarbQuik: It's a little expensive, but you know what? It's worth it. Pizza dough, biscuits, pancakes, crusts, etc. All can be made with this. I don't use it for every "dough" recipe, but it's a nice alternative to low carb tortillas and almond flour.

EZ-Sweetz: Stuff is crack. It's pretty much the cheapest liquid sweetener, and it's made from the best kind of sweetener (Stevia). It's super powerful and tastes a little funny on it's own, but just a few drops turn bland into great. I don't have much success with this stuff when baking, but in liquids it's astounding how good it is. Careful not to spill it on your fingers, though, as it can make your fingers taste and smell pretty funky.

A couple other food tips that aren't products, but low carb alternatives (and some may be common sense):

Crushed tomatoes + italian herbs + minced garlic = pizza/pasta sauce with none of the sugar.
Low carb tortillas + olive oil + stovetop = low carb tortilla chips.
Whipped cream + cream cheese + sugar free jello packets = flavored, sweet dessert. A couple scoops thrown in the freezer makes an easy and cheap low carb icecream.

Anyway, just throwing out some basic information. Two weeks in and this is the best chance I've had because I've actually made some tasty food that isn't awful for me.

Azulsky

I haven't really spoken to anyone who has sustained weight loss on lo carbohydrate long-term but I kinda worry about using flour substitutes because I feel it erodes willpower that you build up to avoid certain foods.

On the other hand as long as you are sensible about it its whatever.

I really haven't even ended up cheating carb wise either I guess my relationship with food is just different. I just feel detached about eating in general.

So what are some good resources for largely overweight(315lbs) diets?

I'm nearly 24 years old, 6' 315 lbs, I work retail which requires me to be on my feet walking for 3-5 hours a day, 5 days a week. I don't have a whole lot of time for exercise after work as I do have other work/social commitments, but if there is something I can do at home for an hour or something I can do that most likely.

I drink a ton of soda. I'm cutting that out and replacing it with water. My diet consists of primarily fast food as that fits into my limited time schedule, and it's(relatively) cheap.

I'm tired of being fat. And I'm trying to do whatever I can to change a bunch of aspects of my life after having a mental breakdown a while back. Any nudges in the right direction is greatly appreciated!

I'm nearly 24 years old, 6' 315 lbs, I work retail which requires me to be on my feet walking for 3-5 hours a day, 5 days a week. I don't have a whole lot of time for exercise after work as I do have other work/social commitments, but if there is something I can do at home for an hour or something I can do that most likely.

I drink a ton of soda. I'm cutting that out and replacing it with water. My diet consists of primarily fast food as that fits into my limited time schedule, and it's(relatively) cheap.

I'm tired of being fat. And I'm trying to do whatever I can to change a bunch of aspects of my life after having a mental breakdown a while back. Any nudges in the right direction is greatly appreciated!

Only thing I can think of is to prepare meals ahead of time on your days off so you don't have to go out to eat.

Try using Calorie King and you'll be surprised how many calories are in your favorite fast food items.

If you must do fast-food, then put half of your meal away in a doggie bag and eat the other half as normal. The next day, you can eat the left overs for dinner. (this especially works for dine-in places)

Karak

I haven't really spoken to anyone who has sustained weight loss on lo carbohydrate long-term but I kinda worry about using flour substitutes because I feel it erodes willpower that you build up to avoid certain foods.

On the other hand as long as you are sensible about it its whatever.

I really haven't even ended up cheating carb wise either I guess my relationship with food is just different. I just feel detached about eating in general.

I have. Over a decade. If you have questions shoot.
I also am identical to you i the fact that I do not ever want carbs and I also feel very detached about eating. If it was a pill I would be stoked:)

DopeToast

Banned
Here's some background: I weighed 300 pounds on April 29th, 2013. By the end of August, 2013, I had lost 60 pounds and was at a healthy 240. I was wearing mostly large shirts and a pair of 36 relaxed fit jeans. I felt great for the first time in years. Since last August I've hovered between 240 and 260, but haven't gone above that. I still feel better than I did at 300 but want to lose more and not get comfortable at 250, which is still a lot of weight to carry for being 5'10".

On October 20th, 2014, I weighed 260 pounds, and after 16 days am down to 249.6. I am eating around 1400 calories per day. I run on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and do some light strength training on Tuesday and Thursday. I eat two cheat meals per week, usually Friday and Saturday dinner, where I load up on fruits and veggies and carbs, as I don't get nearly enough of it during the week. I'm on the same diet that I was when I lost the 60 pounds, and it's working again. A calorie deficit that large is bound to see results I guess.

I don't think a goal weight of 175 is that ridiculous, or out of reach if I stay diligent. I want to be 225 by the end of the year, and maybe 175 by the summer of 2015. I haven't been that light since autumn of 2006, my freshman year of high school. Weight loss feels great, and my pants are looser after only a little more than two weeks. I feel as dedicated as I did a year ago.

Einbroch

Banned

Baby steps. You want fast food? Get fast food. But instead of a burger, fries, and soda, get a double patty burger and a side salad with a water. It's not only going to save you money, but it'll be healthier and more filling.

Baby steps. You want fast food? Get fast food. But instead of a burger, fries, and soda, get a double patty burger and a side salad with a water. It's not only going to save you money, but it'll be healthier and more filling.
That's the thing. I don't necessarily want fast food. I just end up getting it purely for ease of access and it's cheap. I don't really cook, mainly because I typically don't have the time and I'm not particularly good at it, but I could prepare meals for myself assuming it isn't wildly expensive...

Chorazin

That's the thing. I don't necessarily want fast food. I just end up getting it purely for ease of access and it's cheap. I don't really cook, mainly because I typically don't have the time and I'm not particularly good at it, but I could prepare meals for myself assuming it isn't wildly expensive...

Get good at it. Weight loss is done at home in the kitchen!

Make simple shit that tastes good and can be made in large batches. For a week's worth of dinner, bake a Costco-size container of chicken breasts seasoned however you like on Sunday, warm it up all week. Dip it in hot sauce while you eat it, or a little BBQ (go light on the BBQ, the carbs add up quick) and bake some some bagged sweet potato fries (the Alexia brand is really awesome) and microwave a green veggie as a side. Easy, tasty, and good for you.

Azulsky

Yeah cooking food for the whole week is the best way if you are tolerant of repeat meals. I usually cycle between chicken breasts and 90/10 ground beef for protein and I get veggies weekly. Mostly spinach and squashes for me recently.

I always have eggs in the fridge because you can make umpteen dishes with them and do so very quickly.

DopeToast

Banned
Bummer that this thread isn't in Off-Topic proper. I think it would be way more active. How would we get that changed?

I'm at 15 pounds lost in 4 weeks, which is exactly where I wanted to be. I'll hopefully be at 30 pounds lost 4 weeks from now which is the end of my winter semester at college. I'm planning a low(er) carb menu for myself for the four weeks over Christmas break, as well as upping my exercise from 3-5 days per week to a solid 6. I've got plans to cut out my cereal and milk for breakfast as well as my bagel for lunch. I eat about 150 grams of carbs per day, but so far have only been counting calories, and it's working! But maybe paying some more attention to my macros could increase it even more, with a little help from upping the exercise.

My new diet plan would include hard-boiled eggs for breakfast, baked chicken with vegetables for dinner, but I'm still thinking about what to do for lunch. I'd like to not eat much more than 50 grams of carbs per day. Anyone have experience with this? How important is keeping protein from getting too high? What's a good ration? What are you supposed to eat that has high fat and low protein? Thanks, duders.

jred2k

Bummer that this thread isn't in Off-Topic proper. I think it would be way more active. How would we get that changed?

I'm at 15 pounds lost in 4 weeks, which is exactly where I wanted to be. I'll hopefully be at 30 pounds lost 4 weeks from now which is the end of my winter semester at college. I'm planning a low(er) carb menu for myself for the four weeks over Christmas break, as well as upping my exercise from 3-5 days per week to a solid 6. I've got plans to cut out my cereal and milk for breakfast as well as my bagel for lunch. I eat about 150 grams of carbs per day, but so far have only been counting calories, and it's working! But maybe paying some more attention to my macros could increase it even more, with a little help from upping the exercise.

My new diet plan would include hard-boiled eggs for breakfast, baked chicken with vegetables for dinner, but I'm still thinking about what to do for lunch. I'd like to not eat much more than 50 grams of carbs per day. Anyone have experience with this? How important is keeping protein from getting too high? What's a good ration? What are you supposed to eat that has high fat and low protein? Thanks, duders.

1. To get this in Off Topic, you could try PM'ing a mod saying that the thread is way less active than the prior thread and could use some publicity in the OT. It's a helpful thread so I can't see it being a huge issue.

2. If you're looking for high fat foods try figuring out some nuts you'd like or avocado. Raw almonds or cashews make a pretty good snack, but the calories can add up fairly quickly.

Great job man! You're kicking butt!

Thanks man! Although I only have 3 ish more weeks of Weight Watchers until my 2nd session ends, I'll probably be able to go weigh myself at the doctor's office now. :)

and to think a year ago I wouldn't touch 1/2 % milk, salmon, etc!!

Sadetar

Nice to see that this thread seems to be more active again. :)

I have myself lost around 22 kilos / 48 pounds in the last eight months or so while trying to maintain my muscle mass at the same time. I am planning to lose at least 15 kilos / 33 pounds more and then see where I am. After that I should be quite near my goal and hopefully somewhat fit as well. We will see. :p

Bombasador, absolutely splendid work! If I were you I wouldn't be too worried about losing another 20 pounds. You look quite much perfect for your frame as you are. Just keep hitting the gym like you have been doing and you are golden.

Here's some background: I weighed 300 pounds on April 29th, 2013. By the end of August, 2013, I had lost 60 pounds and was at a healthy 240. I was wearing mostly large shirts and a pair of 36 relaxed fit jeans. I felt great for the first time in years. Since last August I've hovered between 240 and 260, but haven't gone above that. I still feel better than I did at 300 but want to lose more and not get comfortable at 250, which is still a lot of weight to carry for being 5'10".

On October 20th, 2014, I weighed 260 pounds, and after 16 days am down to 249.6. I am eating around 1400 calories per day. I run on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and do some light strength training on Tuesday and Thursday. I eat two cheat meals per week, usually Friday and Saturday dinner, where I load up on fruits and veggies and carbs, as I don't get nearly enough of it during the week. I'm on the same diet that I was when I lost the 60 pounds, and it's working again. A calorie deficit that large is bound to see results I guess.

I don't think a goal weight of 175 is that ridiculous, or out of reach if I stay diligent. I want to be 225 by the end of the year, and maybe 175 by the summer of 2015. I haven't been that light since autumn of 2006, my freshman year of high school. Weight loss feels great, and my pants are looser after only a little more than two weeks. I feel as dedicated as I did a year ago.
That all sounds great! 175 doesn't sound that far fetched at all. I am sure that with right diet and work out routines on the side you will get there. Good luck and stay motivated! :D

November update:

I'm exactly at 375 lbs with a weight loss of 83lbs. Here's a pic of my Weight Watchers book with the sticker.
That is some nice progress right there! You are definitely on the right track and you have lost so much already! Good for you. :)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still plodding along, 43lbs down so far, with about 30lbs to go until my original goal. I wanted to do it in a year and at this rate I'm a few months ahead. Christmas is coming though and it's going to be a big test. I've gone from 5xl to 2xl so far, hopefully by the time I'm done there won't be an x at all.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Snipped. Stupid post, sorry.

DopeToast

Banned
Anybody else have plans/ideas about to handle eating over the Thanksgiving holiday. I allow myself one to two cheat meals per week, so it shouldn't be much of an issue for the actual day. But we are visiting my sister's in Kansas for Wednesday through Saturday and I know she's gonna try and cook something big for every meal. I'm gonna pack some lunches and granola bars for the ride there as well as every other meal than Thanksgiving. Any body else have experience dealing with holidays and travel when on a strict diet? I've been golden for five weeks now and I'm not gonna let this four day trip screw me up.

This is a tad bit old (around 4 months). Currently I'm at my first ever bulk stage which isn't going optimal due to work but currently I'm not too far off from what I was on July. My stomach area is maybe a bit less nice looking.
This was the first time my weight loss was successful in any way and it felt weird to actually not be anxious when I went to the beach. A surreal experience even.

Imgur album:
http://imgur.com/a/vfkbG

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
BrkYxWb

Trying to muster the courage to post this to facebook...so I guess I'll start here.

I'm taking photos every few months but I ain't posting shit until I'm done, I'm still not happy with my body at all and honestly, I probably never will be as I'm replacing fat with loose skin which looks worse.

I'm taking photos every few months but I ain't posting shit until I'm done, I'm still not happy with my body at all and honestly, I probably never will be as I'm replacing fat with loose skin which looks worse.

know why I have the little link thing and not an actual picture showing up?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
know why I have the little link thing and not an actual picture showing up?

You need to put the url in between img tags, like this [*img]url[/img] but remove the * or it won't work.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
hmm that's what I did...picture still isn't showing.

Did you copy the direct image link from imgur? It gives you a few different options when you upload and the default is "link" which won't work in the img tags, you want "direct link" which ends in .jpg most likely.

Did you copy the direct image link from imgur? It gives you a few different options when you upload and the default is "link" which won't work in the img tags, you want "direct link" which ends in .jpg most likely.

that worked...thanks for the help

Top Bottom