• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Asks U.S. to Pay Trump Security Costs; Puts First Bill at $35 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

New York Asks U.S. to Pay Trump Security Costs; Puts First Bill at $35 Million

06REIMBURSE-master768.jpg

New York City on Monday formally asked that the federal government reimburse it for the cost of providing security for President-elect Donald J. Trump at his New York home and offices, a figure that officials estimated would reach $35 million by the time of Mr. Trump’s inauguration on Jan 20.

The $35 million figure is based on roughly $500,000 a day in security costs for the period from the presidential election through Inauguration Day, when Mr. Trump, a Republican, is expected to move to Washington, Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a news conference on Monday that was unrelated to the request.

Securing Trump Tower, where Mr. Trump and his family live and where his transition efforts are based, has presented the New York Police Department with “unprecedented” challenges, Mr. de Blasio wrote in letters to President Obama and members of Congress.

The 58-story tower, on Fifth Avenue just off 57th Street near Central Park, is in an area dotted with major landmarks and crisscrossed by transit stations, delivery trucks and a steady flow of both cars and throngs of sightseeing pedestrians.

Foot and vehicle traffic is now frequently snarled by barriers and closed streets in the area, where the prospect of seeing Mr. Trump or another national political figure is a lure for visitors and a headache for high-end shops on the surrounding blocks.

“It is a high-density neighborhood and street traffic easily obstructs pathways to and from the building, making it profoundly challenging for the NYPD to establish a secure perimeter,” Mr. de Blasio, a Democrat, wrote, noting that the challenges affected not only Mr. Trump, but other residents of Trump Tower as well as the crowds that pass nearby.

The mayor said the number of officers involved in the round-the-clock security operation — from traffic agents to uniformed officers — was “classified,” but that most were working on overtime, at an extra cost to the city.

The letters, which Mr. de Blasio held up at the news conference — whose primary focus was a monthly police statistics briefing — did not include figures for the cost of security because, a spokesman for the mayor explained, the request would also include continuing security for Mr. Trump after the inauguration and for his wife, Melania, who plans to remain in New York City at least until the couple’s 10-year-old son, Barron, finishes the school year.

In the letter to Congress, Mr. de Blasio requested new federal spending to cover the costs related to providing security for Mr. Trump, observing that New York City is not reimbursable under existing federal law or programs. In the letter to the president, Mr. de Blasio said the federal government has traditionally reimbursed the city for the costs associated with foreign dignitaries and missions and during major national events, like the 2004 Republican National Convention.

Neither the White House press office nor a spokesman for Mr. Trump’s transition team responded immediately to emails seeking comment on the letters, which were also signed by the City Council speaker, Melissa Mark-Viverito, a Democrat.

First, no salary though.

Second, what is the situation for most president-elects before office? This is the first time a city is asking for funding? It should be covered by the Federal government or not at all.

Balphon

First, no salary though.

Second, what is the situation for most president-elects before office? This is the first time a city is asking for funding? It should be covered by the Federal government or not at all.

They typically do not move to Washington until January.

I don't think the arrangement here (i.e the City requesting reimbursement from the Fed for supplemental security) is unique. It's more the scale of it, since Trump's family lives smack in the center of Manhattan.

So, if the federal government refuses to pony up, can NYC just tell Trump to leave, or completely refuse to provide out-of-pocket for security expenses?

Breads

Banned
People gave me shit about bringing up Trump's 1.2-1.3 billion security fees (original estimation) by the end of his first four years.

Yeah what about that, Trump supporters. Defend that.

There's no way NY should have to cover these costs. The financial burden would fully bankrupt a lesser city in a matter of months, it's totally ridiculous.

Screw Trump and his stupid ass Ego Tower.

I think everyone who cast a vote for Trump should have their taxes increased to pay for it. He's THEIR president after all.

Make THEM pay for it.

nomster

Was listening to the news and they were tripping over themselves defending them letting Barron finish school, best interests of the child, etc. what fucking planet are these people on? Move him at the semester like every other kid, rich or otherwise!

Remember when the tea party was criticizing Obama for allegedly spending $10 million a year on travel expenses? Where are those people now?

Bronx-Man

Banned
New York damn sure better be getting some money since this dipshit is gonna cause 5th Ave to be completely unusable for the next 4 years.

New York damn sure better be getting some money since this dipshit is gonna cause 5th Ave to be completely unusable for the next 4 years.

I really do weep for the people that work in Downtown Manhattan the next four years. It's gonna be bruuuuuuuuuutal. Every time Trump decides to go outside, gridlock for 8 hours.

Im not sure how to feel about this. Nobody wants an attack on Trump while in Manhattan to be something anyone considers. It really is in the city's best interest to protect him but damn that seems like a lot of money.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Trump supporters are the most backwards ass people on the planet right now. Every fucking thing this dipshit campaigned against as his platform for victory outside of the racists that love him oh so much, he is the epitome of. They are so fucking blind and stupid. To imagine, the repubs and the likes of Fox news were all about balancing the budget, not spending on stupid bullshit or increasing deficit while Obama was in office. Conserve conserve like good conservatives. STUPID POS

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Im not sure how to feel about this. Nobody wants an attack on Trump while in Manhattan to be something anyone considers. It really is in the city's best interest to protect him but damn that seems like a lot of money.
I know I'm just an asshole who hates him but I kinda think the polite and reasonable thing to do is just set up shop somewhere cheaper for the next month or so.
He MUST have a property that is easier to secure that Giuliani can fellate him in.

ezekial45

Banned
I heard the Secret Service has to rent two floors in the Trump Tower from Trump's company. As in, the Secret Service is paying Trump to pay for their protection services.

MC Safety

Trump supporters are the most backwards ass people on the planet right now. Every fucking thing this dipshit campaigned against as his platform for victory outside of the racists that love him oh so much, he is the epitome of. They are so fucking blind and stupid. To imagine, the repubs and the likes of Fox news were all about balancing the budget, not spending on stupid bullshit or increasing deficit while Obama was in office. Conserve conserve like good conservatives. STUPID POS

Sorry, man. The president is entitled to security. It's not debatable, it's not dependent on whether you like him or agree with him.

The wife has chosen to live in New York City so as not to unduly disrupt her child's life or his education. That's their right and prerogative. They're entitled to protection, too.

Chumly

First, no salary though.

This is literally unprecedented for the magnitude of costs and it's only going to get worse. Especially considering the fact that Melania and his son as planning on staying in NYC

~Kinggi~

Banned
Sorry, man. The president is entitled to security. It's not debatable, it's not dependent on whether you like him or agree with him.

The wife has chosen to live in New York City so as not to unduly disrupt her child's life or his education. That's their right and prerogative. They're entitled to protection, too.

Unless this news has changed you must have missed the part where early on he was pretty clear how much he'd prefer to just stay in Trump tower as opposed to the White House. This child education thing seems a real nice excuse. Oh and yeah, like i said, epitome of everything he campaigned against, this is just a small nugget of his hypocrisy/ Total shitbag and all involved.

The people of New York shouldn't have to bear his protection costs. Let it come out of the federal budget.

Chumly

It should absolutely not be the burden of the New York City taxpayers though. That is absolutely insane. The federal government should be paying for it and if the family has chosen living arrangements outside the norm then a state or city should not be punished

Strike

To imagine, the repubs and the likes of Fox news were all about balancing the budget, not spending on stupid bullshit or increasing deficit while Obama was in office. Conserve conserve like good conservatives.
They haven't been about that for a long time.Trickle down is a pretty good con.

~Kinggi~

Banned
They haven't been about that for a long time.Trickle down is a pretty good con.

Well they may have not been about that but you sure heard that as every other thing out of their mouth when they had to do their usual spin bullshit talking points on why Obama is a disaster.

etrain911

Why should they be? When it costs this much, why should it be their right and prerogative to finish school at home? Does the kid have detail surrounding him at school? Why can't he just go?

Trump didn't have to run for president having been aware of these circumstances in advance and become a burden on the taxpayer

Trump could also pay for this himself.

Good job America, not only did his blatant racism got you to vote for him, now it's going to cost you money because he doesn't know how to stay in Washington, where do you think that money will come from? the tax break he promise will vanish.....hahahahahaha

Yo I'm sorry, if it's costing taxpayer money at $35M a clip on the low end for TWO MONTHS, yeah, you kinda are sacrificing your right to choose where your kids go to school. The point of being president is that you're sacrificing some personal things to be a public servant. He already has to sacrifice his private business holdings.

So to me that argument doesn't hold water.

There are perfectly good private schools in DC where Lil Trump can finish his education.

They are entitled to protection by the Secret Service, not local or state police.

Blader

Conservatives only care about deficits when a Democrat is in the White House.

MC Safety

Unless this news has changed you must have missed the part where early on he was pretty clear how much he'd prefer to just stay in Trump tower as opposed to the White House. This child education thing seems a real nice excuse. Oh and yeah, like i said, epitome of everything he campaigned against, this is just a small nugget of his hypocrisy/ Total shitbag and all involved.

Your hatred of the man is quite obvious. But the president-elect can choose where he lives. The White House is an option, not a requirement. And, honestly, I don't think even you can blame him. New York is a lot more awesome than Washington D.C.

The bill has been submitted. It will be paid. There's plenty to dislike Trump for. You don't need another reason, I expect.

They are entitled to protection by the Secret Service, not local or state police.

I don't believe this is true. I'm not exactly sure what statues cover presidential visits and residences, but I know police are often tasked with providing additional security.

Kard8p3

Your hatred of the man is quite obvious. But the president-elect can choose where he lives. The White House is an option, not a requirement. And, honestly, I don't think even you can blame him. New York is a lot more awesome than Washington D.C.

The bill has been submitted. It will be paid. There's plenty to dislike Trump for. You don't need another reason, I expect.

Yeah that's bullshit, see Frozenprince's post.

Chumly

People are legitimately annoyed that we have listened to 8 years of bullshit about how it cost 5 million or whatever for an Obama trip and now we are paying a half million a day for fiscal conservatives to live where they want.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with pointing out the hypocrisy.

Dude Abides

Banned

I don't believe this is true. I'm not exactly sure what statues cover presidential visits and residences, but I know police are often tasked with providing additional security.

If you think New York is so much more awesome than Washington DC that you won't even consider living in DC then guess what? Don't run for president.

Send Barron to Sidwell Friends. He'll turn out just as well as if he went to Dalton.

Caping for Trump's right to charge NYC 35 million a month is just embarrassing.

NY shouldn't be forced to eat a bill like that because the PEOTUS was too stupid to take personal comfort into account before he decided to run for the highest office in the land.

The US taxpayer put him into office. The US taxpayer should foot the bill. Manhattanites sure didn't want him. If the US taxpayer doesn't like that, they can register their opinion in four years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom