• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Asks U.S. to Pay Trump Security Costs; Puts First Bill at $35 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scirrocco

To read some of your replies you'd almost think you don't realize the man is not the president yet and can't move into the White House.

I hate this stupid idiot plenty, but he is currently living at his home while preparing to become president. His protection should be paid for. Once he is president, he should not be allowed to live there IMO as it would place an undue burden on the city when there is a specifically-designed residence better suited for his job and protection.

Yeah, as the president he does deserve protection. It would be a national embarrassment at the least if we can't protect our leader.. But it doesn't have to be at trump tower. He's a rich asshole, and like most rich assholes owns a number of homes all over the country, most famously a mansion in His Florida land mar a lago development.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...ast-portfolio-private-homes-article-1.2305847

He could move a number of places that would make things easier on everyone, but demands to stay in the heart of the busiest,city in the US. likely so he can charge the secret service higher rent to stay there, out of ego to be in his own tower, but also because by all accounts he's a vindictive asshole who's probably enjoying sticking it to a city that didn't vote for him and doesn't really respect him. NYC is never going to see a dime.

Balphon

Why is it NY's problem and not the federal governments?

The Secret Service likely just doesn't have the manpower to secure something like Trump Tower even in ideal circumstances, let alone now where they're protecting both the Pres-elect and the POTUS on a permanent basis. Likewise, I'd imagine they almost always rely at least in part on local law enforcement for principal protection outside of DC.

Once Trump is in office I don't imagine this will change much since Melania and Barron are going to stay in NYC and he's indicated an intent to leave DC on the weekends. If anything it may end up being more expensive for the City.

Epcott

Fed: How about we pay the same amount you've paid for taxes over the last decade, Mr. President Elect?

But seriously, that's a hell of a bill. What happens if no one pays? Who's going to court?

Your hatred of the man is quite obvious. But the president-elect can choose where he lives. The White House is an option, not a requirement. And, honestly, I don't think even you can blame him. New York is a lot more awesome than Washington D.C.

The bill has been submitted. It will be paid. There's plenty to dislike Trump for. You don't need another reason, I expect.

I don't believe this is true. I'm not exactly sure what statues cover presidential visits and residences, but I know police are often tasked with providing additional security.

It is an irresponsible waste of money for Donnie if he chooses not to live in DC.

1) Trump tower will need to be reinforced and defended 24/7 on top of existing costs to do the same for the White House. That's more than doubling the costs due to the stupid vertical "I'm here" target that TT makes against the NY skyline.

You know when the President gets ushered underground to safety? How can they do that at Trumpland? They can't. They're gonna have to pump millions more into keeping him safe.

2) The President must also be able to meet directly with his trusted advisors on a moments notice. Generals, advisors, intelligence chiefs - they're not in NYC

slit

Fed: How about we pay the same amount you've paid for taxes over the last decade, Mr. President Elect?

But seriously, that's a hell of a bill. What happens if no one pays? Who's going to court?

Then NYC shouldn't worry about protecting his building. Watch how fast the Feds pony up then.

The problem is that trump is living in New York. If he had a hone somewhere in the countryside/suburbs then it would be cheaper to secure and require less staff.

This is a major city with so many areas a sniper or bomb could be used. They need to tell him he needs to go somewhere quieter.

The place be choas if he lives there during his tenure

Yes, we've known Trump as a piece of shit con artist for decades now.

He's more of a flim-flam man, I think. There's not much artistry to it, he never really purports to contribute much of anything to society or produce anything that anyone actually wants. They're hilariously transparent schemes to transfer wealth from others to himself without offering anything of value in return, and they only work because there are so many Republicans who have been brainwashed into thinking anyone sufficiently rich must be a good person who would never take their money.

Most of his cons amount to, "Hey, gimme money." "Okay."

NYR

Schattenjäger;226085499 said:
That article pins the costs at $500,000 a day

That half of the original estimate of $1 million/day
What a savings! He's done it again, folks! Trump 2020!

Trump's business savvy though. I'm sure his connections in the Kremlin can hook him up with a sweet deal to build a Russian military base right there in New York, and they'd take care of his security detail for half the cost.

ty_hot

CIA is probably going through every small file in the computer of everyone that work/live in the Trump tower.

The problem is that trump is living in New York. If he had a hone somewhere in the countryside/suburbs then it would be cheaper to secure and require less staff.

This is a major city with so many areas a sniper or bomb could be used. They need to tell him he needs to go somewhere quieter.

The place be choas if he lives there during his tenure

Like....the White House? Yes, that will be ideal. But Trump has already said he plans to split his time between the White House, Trump Tower, and his estate in Florida, so the bill is only going to balloon from here.

I believe the kid has disabilities.

Baron? I don't believe he does, but even if he does, that's irrelevant. Accommodations can be made. They are not leaving Trump Tower for the simple fact that they don't want to, and taxpayers are going to be paying for it.

I believe the kid has disabilities.

Is there a source on this claim?

A youtube content creator and Rosie O'Donnell (based on that youtube video) said Barron might have autism and how this would be a great to have the first family address autism.

And Melania threatened to sue them.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywi...autistic-man-over-youtube-video/#1dc3ac474aa5

If there are not known disabilities for him then there is no reason, and arguments of "he might have one" are not good reasons.

Bolivar687

Banned
I assume his team knows this and there is a retaliatory dimension to their decision to host the latest season of Celebrity Apprentice in New York. I have heard other major cities concerned that there will be retaliation for speaking out against Trump in the election, at the very least, getting passed over for infrastructure spending.

I assume his team knows this and there is a retaliatory dimension to their decision to host the latest season of Celebrity Apprentice in New York. I have heard other major cities concerned that there will be retaliation for speaking out against Trump in the election, at the very least, getting passed over for infrastructure spending.

Is NYC forced to provide protection for Trump? What if the mayor orders that no one will be paid for his protection unless Federal funding is used.

Sounds like you can try to piss them off until they just say screw it.

RPGCrazied

He is worth over 10 billion dollars, right Don the Con? Pay for it yourself, the tax payer shouldn't have to pay to make you be able to sleep at night. I mean really, do his adult kids need fucking secret service agents following them around? Talk about wasting money.

RPGCrazied

That's not realistic, because if some fanatic bombs Trump tower then there is a hell of a lot of collateral damage considering how many people pass through that area of the city.

Maybe he should live in the white house like every fucking President have? He isn't some special snowflake that can just stay where he wants.

The Kree

Banned
Maybe he should live in the white house like every fucking President have? He isn't some special snowflake that can just stay where he wants.

He will, after he's inaugurated. His family doesn't want to though, and they weren't running for president.

He will, after he's inaugurated. His family doesn't want to though, and they weren't running for president.

The President's immediate family goes to the White House with the President. And Trump has already said he plans to split his time between the White House, Trump Tower, and his estate in Florida. None of that includes the amount of vacation time he's sure to take wherever. It's on Trump as much as them. They need to just fucking move into the White House like every President's family has for ages. That's part of being the first family. This shit is ridiculous, and there's no excuse for it.

Jeffrey

Wonder what can be done legally to boot trump and fam out?

Is the city even obligated to guard his ass anyways?

MC Safety

It is an irresponsible waste of money for Donnie if he chooses not to live in DC.

1) Trump tower will need to be reinforced and defended 24/7 on top of existing costs to do the same for the White House. That's more than doubling the costs due to the stupid vertical "I'm here" target that TT makes against the NY skyline.

You know when the President gets ushered underground to safety? How can they do that at Trumpland? They can't. They're gonna have to pump millions more into keeping him safe.

2) The President must also be able to meet directly with his trusted advisors on a moments notice. Generals, advisors, intelligence chiefs - they're not in NYC

You make some good arguments, but honestly, it's nothing that can't be overcome. The infrastructure is there for the seat of government, it's not as if New York City doesn't have extensive tunnel work already dug and ready to be retrofit, and it is not a waste of money to ensure our president is protected.

Again, there are many reasons to dislike president-elect Trump. But his choosing to avoid the cesspool on the Potomac is not one of them.

You make some good arguments, but honestly, it's nothing that can't be overcome. The infrastructure is there for the seat of government, it's not as if New York City doesn't have extensive tunnel work already dug and ready to be retrofit, and it is not a waste of money to ensure our president is protected.

Again, there are many reasons to dislike president-elect Trump. But his choosing to avoid the cesspool on the Potomac is not one of them.

Okay so the Potomac is a cesspool that no human being can reasonably live in for 4-8 years but Trump didn't take that into account when campaigning for a job with precedent that expects him to live in the Potomac?

This creates an expensive precedent. Next President is going to want to stay where they are, we gotta spent millions retrofitting their city, then the best I've, and the next one.

Trump isn't a special snowflake; take his orange pleather looking racist ass to the White House for 4 years. Don't give me this nonsense about how bad living is in DC. He's the President, part of the job description is sacrifice.

Downhome

Is there a source on this claim?

A youtube content creator and Rosie O'Donnell (based on that youtube video) said Barron might have autism and how this would be a great to have the first family address autism.

And Melania threatened to sue them.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywi...autistic-man-over-youtube-video/#1dc3ac474aa5

If there are not known disabilities for him then there is no reason, and arguments of "he might have one" are not good reasons.

Wow, I didn't know that they actually responded. I now see the guy took the video down and posted an apology video. All of the kids should be kept entirely out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6q8uNUbgDA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom