• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Asks U.S. to Pay Trump Security Costs; Puts First Bill at $35 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they don't agree to pay, then don't bother to offer security. I wonder what will happen....

"Hi, I'm here to kill Trump."

"What's that? You just came here to take a dump?"

Aselith

He's already saved tax payers 500k since this was estimated at one million. Making our pocketbooks heavy again

Trump will make way more money in room rent in the tower to Secret Service agents than the $400,000 salary he could draw.

Of course, he'll make tens of millions more off the taxpayer if his kleptocracy isn't checked.

JUST. STAY. AT. THE. FUCKING. WHITE HOUSE.

Could they possibly force him? Like citing that he is creating undue costs for poor reasons. I'm not sure of the history of Presidents not staying at the fucking white house is.

grumble

Sorry, man. The president is entitled to security. It's not debatable, it's not dependent on whether you like him or agree with him.

The wife has chosen to live in New York City so as not to unduly disrupt her child's life or his education. That's their right and prerogative. They're entitled to protection, too.

The first I agree with. The second I do not.

Fifth Avenue businesses should burn his tacky tower down(with no one inside of course) and force the orange idiot to actually live somewhere in DC.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yo I'm sorry, if it's costing taxpayer money at $35M a clip on the low end for TWO MONTHS, yeah, you kinda are sacrificing your right to choose where your kids go to school. The point of being president is that you're sacrificing some personal things to be a public servant. He already has to sacrifice his private business holdings.

When did he do that or even hint that he was going to do that?

Rootbeer

Banned
Consider that the President, if Donald took the Salary, makes around $400,000 a year.

Now... $500,000 PER DAY for security... that is batshit crazy.

DrSlek

You have elected a King, USA! Your new monarch wishes to stay at his winter palace!

Make the arrangements, serfs.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Consider that the President, if Donald took the Salary, makes around $400,000 a year.

Now... $500,000 PER DAY for security... that is batshit crazy.

It's not $500,000 per day. It's quite a bit more. $500,000 is just what NYC's cost is.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I am a conspiracy nut but I've worried that his pledge to end federal grants to Sanctuary cities mixed in with the cost of keeping him and his family safe will be used to make major cities economically feel it if they don't abide.

TAJ

I am a conspiracy nut but I've worried that his pledge to end federal grants to Sanctuary cities mixed in with the cost of keeping him and his family safe will be used to make major cities economically feel it if they don't abide.

He'll threaten to move to a city if they won't do what he wants? Lol, that's messed up.

Ominym

Banned
Sorry, man. The president is entitled to security. It's not debatable, it's not dependent on whether you like him or agree with him.

The wife has chosen to live in New York City so as not to unduly disrupt her child's life or his education. That's their right and prerogative. They're entitled to protection, too.

This post is trolling at best, willfully ignorant at worst. Nonetheless no one is saying he isn't "entitled" to security, so that point is moot and not worth addressing further.

As for him not wanting to move Barron Trump from his school? That's too fucking bad, but it absolutely should be forced on him. Period. I'm sorry Barron, your dad became the President and you'll understand when you're older. But your desire to keep your childhood friend group does not usurp your dad's political obligations nor does it elevate your desire to avoid slight discomfort to absolve millions of taxpayer dollars being misspent.

Donald Trump is the President and a grown ass adult, it's time he started acting like it. If he doesn't want to do the job he signed up for? Then he should quit. He gave up his rights to act like a private individual when he made his victory speech.

Schattenjäger;226085499 said:
That article pins the costs at $500,000 a day

That half of the original estimate of $1 million/day

that's only because trump and melania live there

if trump goes to the white house and melania stays at trump tower, it'll double.

TAJ

Schattenjäger;226085499 said:
That article pins the costs at $500,000 a day

That half of the original estimate of $1 million/day

This number doesn't count Secret Service or family members being in other cities.

Can't the city just declare the block surrounding Trump Tower be unenforceable. Yeah, the surrounding area would go completely to shit... unless the feds did something about it.

Can't the city just declare the block surrounding Trump Tower be unenforceable. Yeah, the surrounding area would go completely to shit... unless the feds did something about it.
You're talking about some of the most valuable real estate in the world. So no, this isn't an option.

Al-ibn Kermit

wouldn't you love to see an itemized bill for how they come up with $500,000 a day?

At the NYPD base salary of ~$20/hour->$30/hour overtime that makes it around 700 police officers 24 hours a day to do security. Of course a lot of that cost is probably for equipment like cars, helicopters, gas, any other random things. But I could imagine it taking a few hundred police officers to secure a large, crowded area.

JUST. STAY. AT. THE. FUCKING. WHITE HOUSE.

Could they possibly force him? Like citing that he is creating undue costs for poor reasons. I'm not sure of the history of Presidents not staying at the fucking white house is.

It's occupied currently.

This post is trolling at best, willfully ignorant at worst. Nonetheless no one is saying he isn't "entitled" to security, so that point is moot and not worth addressing further.

As for him not wanting to move Barron Trump from his school? That's too fucking bad, but it absolutely should be forced on him. Period. I'm sorry Barron, your dad became the President and you'll understand when you're older. But your desire to keep your childhood friend group does not usurp your dad's political obligations nor does it elevate your desire to avoid slight discomfort to absolve millions of taxpayer dollars being misspent.

So far Melania has only mentioned barron will finish the current school year in new york, not necessarily the entire presidency.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
He is a card carrying member of the NRA. He doesn't need protection. He can jump off a horse and shoot a bl.....criminal! at 100 paces as he is about to rob a poor 200k Couple.

Seriously now, could the city basically say they have to fend for their selves? Off the standard given like normal, but even if it is just for the kid to finish school for the school year. That would be 70mil. I would say it seems fitting... privatize it and let himself pay his own worth

CHC

Considering that this fucking asshole thinks private companies do everything better, the city should just pull all of its security and let him hire whatever company he wants to do it. Out of his own pocket, naturally.

jsnepo

Trump supporters are the most backwards ass people on the planet right now. Every fucking thing this dipshit campaigned against as his platform for victory outside of the racists that love him oh so much, he is the epitome of. They are so fucking blind and stupid. To imagine, the repubs and the likes of Fox news were all about balancing the budget, not spending on stupid bullshit or increasing deficit while Obama was in office. Conserve conserve like good conservatives. STUPID POS

This I disagree.
It's the Duterte supporters.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
To read some of your replies you'd almost think you don't realize the man is not the president yet and can't move into the White House.

I hate this stupid idiot plenty, but he is currently living at his home while preparing to become president. His protection should be paid for. Once he is president, he should not be allowed to live there IMO as it would place an undue burden on the city when there is a specifically-designed residence better suited for his job and protection.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
If Trump refuses to do all business from the White House, he shoudl have to pay out of his own pocket for it.

Greedy bastard will do no such thing, and will fleece the taxpayer for every dime he can though.

KingBroly

Banned
They might. If they flat out refuse to provide any security services to the president's family while they make frequent visits there, relying solely on federal funded secret service, things are going to get interesting.

- Cut their federal funding because they're a Sanctuary City

- Pay them $35 million to protect his family

If Trump refuses to do all business from the White House, he shoudl have to pay out of his own pocket for it.

He's not even going to be able to live/work out of the White House for the first year due to remodeling.

Danneee

Isn't he just a regular citizen until he's sworn in? He should get the same protection by law officers as anyone else and if he needs extra security, he should pay for it himself.

Lois_Lane

To read some of your replies you'd almost think you don't realize the man is not the president yet and can't move into the White House.

I hate this stupid idiot plenty, but he is currently living at his home while preparing to become president. His protection should be paid for. Once he is president, he should not be allowed to live there IMO as it would place an undue burden on the city when there is a specifically-designed residence better suited for his job and protection.
No, Trump should like every other President -Elect has and stop being a stupid special snowflake.

Supast4r

Your hatred of the man is quite obvious. But the president-elect can choose where he lives. The White House is an option, not a requirement. And, honestly, I don't think even you can blame him. New York is a lot more awesome than Washington D.C.

The bill has been submitted. It will be paid. There's plenty to dislike Trump for. You don't need another reason, I expect.

I don't believe this is true. I'm not exactly sure what statues cover presidential visits and residences, but I know police are often tasked with providing additional security.
He is costing a city so much money that he will bankrupt them in his presidency. If you don't think something is wrong with the fact that trumps fsmily can't stay in the White House on a consistent basis then i don't know what to tell you. Last I checked a local economy matters more than a few individuals happiness.

Supast4r

The anger is at the fact that trump wants to go to New York on the weekends when he is president and that his wife and kid will live in New York. That's where the anger is directed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom