• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

VoxPop

Yeah, you might want to reserve those tickets ASAP as there's a massive waiting list for them. To answer your question, you definitely should go check out The Cloisters as Washington Heights is incredibly overlooked by many tourists. In fact, most tourists don't go beyond Harlem since they don't think there's nothing else to see beyond 125th street.

I suppose you could check out Nintendo World, even though it isn't really all that special and while you're at it, take a tour at the nearby NBC Studios (which I've never done personally and I've lived here my entire life).

While I've never been there before, you should also check out The High Line and maybe the Brooklyn Bridge since many people tourists love to take pictures from it. Of course, there's plenty more to see beyond Manhattan such as The Museum of the Moving Image in Queens but if you just want to see Manhattan for the time you'll be here, it should be fine.

The temperature will be relatively chilly around that month at around 45-50 degrees or so. I suppose the Morris Jumel Mansion might also be worth your interest as well (again, even though I live in the neighborhood, I've never been there myself, but I've heard good things about it). I suppose that's all I could really recommend unless you're interested in checking out China Town which is a tourist trap, but full of many shops in nooks and crannies.

I don't really recommend the Cloisters. It's nice and all but its basically on the opposite end of where everything else is and just not worth the excruciating trip back and forth.

There are also far better museums you could visit.

Construction is basically complete from what I've seen in real pictures. Southside of Roosevelt island. I was hoping it would already be open to the public by now. Just saw that the official site also says october 24th though so I guess it's not.

bob page

I don't really recommend the Cloisters. It's nice and all but its basically on the opposite end of where everything else is and just not worth the excruciating trip back and forth.

There are also far better museums you could visit.

The Cloisters aren't really that exciting but I think Fort Tryon Park is pretty worth it.

Jhoan

The Cloisters aren't really that exciting but I think Fort Tryon Park is pretty worth it.
This. The museum itself does suck as it's pretty underwhelming, but the park itself is pretty nice. There's a Medieval Festival every year on the first weekend of October. It's pretty cool.

Mully

I'm one of those nature freaks. The Cloisters seems like my type of place. There's dilapidated buildings, forestry, and wildlife all on the butt of Manhattan. One day this fall I'm heading over there.

Jhoan

Cross posting from the September meet up thread with extra details:

The Met has an Andy Warhol exhibit going that showcases 60 artists that got influenced by him as well as a Photo Altering exhibit from the 1840's to the 1990's (did you guys know that doctored images have been around since the 1840's?). I'm thinking about going to check out some time next week.

There's also a book festival in Brooklyn the whole day today featuring many famous authors such as Walter Mosley and a talk with actor Tony Danza on his book I want to Apologize to All My Teachers which chronicles his experience as a teacher and best of all it's completely free. It's too bad Brooklyn is so damn far from me. Not to mention that I'm pretty low on dough to do anything this weekend let alone spend money on train fare.

EDIT: Found something of interest as well that I'll post here. This site has a bunch of post cards from Inwood/Washington Heights dating back to over 100 years ago. They absolutely amazing. Us Northern Manhattanites will especially get a kick out of this:

http://myinwood.net/inwood-postcards-2/

Here's a few post cards:

JaG4v.jpg

D4cYt.jpg

LwGMT.jpg

LiB61l.jpg

CWN6nl.jpg

rVddsl.jpg

7sEQ7l.jpg

EDIT 2: The New York Comic Con (AKA the NYC GAF October Meet up thread) is up and running. If you're planning on going, post there.

bob page

Anyone else going to Global Festival 2012 in Central Park today? Neil Young, The Black Keys, Foo Fighters, & Band of Horses are playing.

Jhoan

Nope. I'm guessing you need tickets for that? My brother plans on heading to see a free Latin Classical Guitar Concert at Lincoln Center at 2:30. It's a bit chilly to be seeing a concert today; 60 degrees currently. But free stuff is free stuff; I don't think that's going to stop people from going save for rain.

For anyone who's interested in going, there's also a GAF meet up tonight at McSorley's Pale House near Astor Place at 8PM. If you plan on going, see this thread for details.

I'm one of those nature freaks. The Cloisters seems like my type of place. There's dilapidated buildings, forestry, and wildlife all on the butt of Manhattan. One day this fall I'm heading over there.

Cloysters are in great shape, not dilapidated at all! Unless that's not what you meant.

Jhoan

Yup- VIP tickets were $180 but the vast majority were released via raffle (which I luckily won 2 from).

I saw that; you got some pretty damn good luck on your side. Sweet Jesus at that price! Nobody was going to be those tickets at that so it's no wonder that they raffled them out. It's a good thing they did; that thing would've been empty if the organizers thought that the tickets would've sold out.

Haribo

Banned
British guy here, myself and my girlfriend are going to NYC from the 30th October - 9th November. We are staying in a hotel on Times Square. We'd like to do the usual tourist things as well as some of the less well known experiences the locals recommend such as visiting the Cloisters. Likely most of the links in the OP will be used. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

- Is there any kind of 'pay as you go' style SIM card so we can get online while out and about, or is free WiFi common enough that we won't need to bother? We'll be using an iPhone 5, if it's relevant. On a note, any recommended map/transport apps for the area? First person to say Google Maps gets punched in the dick.

- Anything we should avoid due to safety? We spent a fortnight in Vegas (staying on the strip) in 2010 and felt safe the whole time except on the 'Deuce' bus, which we found pretty intimidating due to a lot of shouting passengers and somewhat aggressive behaviour of the driver. We're both pretty confident and considerate people with common sense so are more worried about stumbling into the wrong neighbourhood rather than pissing anybody off.

- Tipping: 10% average like Vegas?

- Weather wise, we know it will be cold - will gloves/scarves be necessary? Bear in mind we're British so rain/wind is like the buzzing of flies to us.

- We'd like to get the train to Washington DC for a day, is this a stupid idea? We know it'll be a long/tiring day.

- Any GAF meets while we're in town, maybe at Halloween?

Cheers.

number47

British guy here, myself and my girlfriend are going to NYC from the 30th October - 9th November. We are staying in a hotel on Times Square. We'd like to do the usual tourist things as well as some of the less well known experiences the locals recommend such as visiting the Cloisters. Likely most of the links in the OP will be used. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

- Is there any kind of 'pay as you go' style SIM card so we can get online while out and about, or is free WiFi common enough that we won't need to bother? We'll be using an iPhone 5, if it's relevant. On a note, any recommended map/transport apps for the area? First person to say Google Maps gets punched in the dick.

- Anything we should avoid due to safety? We spent a fortnight in Vegas (staying on the strip) in 2010 and felt safe the whole time except on the 'Deuce' bus, which we found pretty intimidating due to a lot of shouting passengers and somewhat aggressive behaviour of the driver. We're both pretty confident and considerate people with common sense so are more worried about stumbling into the wrong neighbourhood rather than pissing anybody off.

- Weather wise, we know it will be cold - will gloves/scarves be necessary? Bear in mind we're British so rain/wind is like the buzzing of flies to us.

- We'd like to get the train to Washington DC for a day, is this a stupid idea? We know it'll be a long/tiring day.

Cheers.

train to washington is a very stupid idea. sleep in the 30th, save all that energy for 31st and go to the village halloween parade. tipping is whatever you want. but if u tip nothing, i suggest not going back.

oh scarf and coat, bring hoody too. november is weird

bob page

Cheers.
The city has tons of free wifi hotspots so I probably wouldn't worry. The best iOS transit apps are Embark NYC and The Transit App- both sync subway schedules.

Anywhere in Manhattan south of 95th are generally very safe. If you're sticking to attractions and such, I wouldn't worry at all. Just avoid the homeless if they happen to approach you.

Tipping at restaurants is usually recommended at 18% (or 15% on the lower levels)- I'm pretty sure that's how it is everywhere in the country though.

A cold front just moved in so it's kind of chilly (around 60F). It's supposed to warm up to almost 70 next week but who knows in this city. I would bring a coat and some gloves to be safe.

Haribo

Banned
Thanks to you both for the replies, we're so excited! I am afraid we're going to be sickeningly touristy for at least 50% of our trip, but we've got a lot to choose from. Is there a single calander of events on in the city that would be recommended? We have found many different event calanders online but they all focus on different things as there doesn't seem to be one 'master' list.

Bacchus

Banned
Ok guys I need major help. I'm going to NYC next monday with my parents in law who are straight from a foreign country. We will be landing at Laguardia Airport, and I did a rental car. I was thinking bout heading to the New World Mall in Flushing and checking out some of the restaurants and shops in that town. Any recommendations? Next, will probably go to Madison Square Park to do a little park walking and go to the Fall Eats event for lunch. Finally for dinner..not sure!! What's a nice dinner place for asian parents near the Madison Square Park area?

After that Ill be going to be staying at a far place in Walkhill. But will go back near Brooklyn to check out Times Square. Any place near Times Square that I should check out? Must go places to eat/visit in the area? I'm up for Italian, Chinese, anything!

tino

Banned
Ok guys I need major help. I'm going to NYC next monday with my parents in law who are straight from a foreign country. We will be landing at Laguardia Airport, and I did a rental car. I was thinking bout heading to the New World Mall in Flushing and checking out some of the restaurants and shops in that town. Any recommendations? Next, will probably go to Madison Square Park to do a little park walking and go to the Fall Eats event for lunch. Finally for dinner..not sure!! What's a nice dinner place for asian parents near the Madison Square Park area?

After that Ill be going to be staying at a far place in Walkhill. But will go back near Brooklyn to check out Times Square. Any place near Times Square that I should check out? Must go places to eat/visit in the area? I'm up for Italian, Chinese, anything!

I am Chinese and here are some restaurant bookmarks I made

http://www.yelp.com/user_details_bookmarks?userid=v7bVoeHm-qK9iYrdDnm3qA

I honest don't know what is a good restaurant in Madison Square area. But I am sure you will manage. You really don't need any guide in Time Square, just walk around like a mad tourist.

Have fun!

bob page

Went to Balthazaar for dinner last night...so good. I think I still prefer the good at La Sirene but the atmosphere was much nicer.

Jhoan

Any advice on the best (read: cheapest) way to get from JFK to our hotel in Times Square?

If you really want to save money, then your cheapest bet would be to take the train since you'll only spend $2.25. Assuming you don't mind being in the subway for about 1.5 hours and are carrying medium sized travel bags, then it should be fine. Your other option would be to take a shared taxi/van that takes a group of people to their destinations which would be cheaper than taking a cab.

bob page

Any advice on the best (read: cheapest) way to get from JFK to our hotel in Times Square?

I've always taken the Penn Station LIRR to the Airtrain, which comes out to about $11 each way. It's faster than the subway + airtrain (45 mins vs. 1.5 hrs) but costs more ($11 vs. $7.25).

Haribo

Banned
Ahaha, thanks guys... I'm being somewhat frugal but not that much. After a long flight from the UK I don't think we want to piss around on trains or the subway, I mean cabs are reasonable yeah? I'll look into the shared taxi thing, cheers :)

bob page

Ahaha, thanks guys... I'm being somewhat frugal but not that much. After a long flight from the UK I don't think we want to piss around on trains or the subway, I mean cabs are reasonable yeah? I'll look into the shared taxi thing, cheers :)

Uber is no longer in NYC, sadly. I think city taxis to JFK are a flat-rate of $45ish.

jdavid459

Not NYC related but I might have the opportunity to work a co-op position in White Plains, NY next semester. Anyone ever been/lived there? About an hour out of NY I hear. Would definitely want to visit NYC on weekends.

jasonng

Not NYC related but I might have the opportunity to work a co-op position in White Plains, NY next semester. Anyone ever been/lived there? About an hour out of NY I hear. Would definitely want to visit NYC on weekends.

The drive to the city from White Plains is super easy. You have the metro north as an option to though the traveling time will be a bit longer. I used to visit White Plains all the time. It's a nice area. Also, my cousin and her family resides in White Plains. She loves it there.

GiJoccin

more like 30 minutes on the metro north to grand central

i lived just north of white plains for 2 years - definitely not a fan of the night life up there, surprisingly jersey shore except for one or two bars.. but it's nice being so close to nyc

TangMeng

Just got back from seeing the Colbert Report. Sogooooooooodddddd

Some advice if you want to get tickets is to follow this twitter. You have to check it frequently and have some luck but it's worth it!

jdavid459

more like 30 minutes on the metro north to grand central

i lived just north of white plains for 2 years - definitely not a fan of the night life up there, surprisingly jersey shore except for one or two bars.. but it's nice being so close to nyc

Kinda random but are people in NYC/surrounding area approachable? Kinda nervous moving to White Plains. New job, know nobody. Gonna have to find a crew to go to NYC with. Guess its the same as everywhere else...?

number47

Kinda random but are people in NYC/surrounding area approachable? Kinda nervous moving to White Plains. New job, know nobody. Gonna have to find a crew to go to NYC with. Guess its the same as everywhere else...?

just dont come off like a weirdo. thats pretty much it.unless you mean like in clubs and such.

Haribo

Banned
We want to go and see Avenue Q - from a value perspective should we book online now or wait until we are already in town and go to a ticket booth?

Mahonay

Banned
Guys in the Astoria area, you may already know about this place, but I want to an awesome barbershop today after struggling to find a local shop.

Val's Barbershop

If you're like me and you're pretty picky about your barbers, this might be for you. They do incredibly quick, highly quality cuts. Just some young guys that work the place. Incredibly friendly and chill dudes. Very laid back atmosphere. Just a little sort of crummy looking hole in the wall, but yeah, definitely check it out. I think this is my place now.

codhand

Guys in the Astoria area, you may already know about this place, but I want to an awesome barbershop today after struggling to find a local shop.

Val's Barbershop

If you're like me and you're pretty picky about your barbers, this might be for you. They do incredibly quick, highly quality cuts. Just some young guys that work the place. Incredibly friendly and chill dudes. Very laid back atmosphere. Just a little sort of crummy looking hole in the wall, but yeah, definitely check it out. I think this is my place now.

ha my waifu lives literally around the corner from there, bare burger is muh shit

Haribo

Banned
We're visiting from the 13th - 23rd. We've got one of those New York Passes (valid from the 14th -20th) which has given us a lot to do, from looking through the list of included attractions here we've decided the following are included events worth going to. Is there anything good in the list that we've missed out on, or something shit that we should remove? Bear in mind that I dislike outside walking tours because they make me feel awkward.

911 Tribute Center

American Museum of Natural History 

Bodies...The Exhibition

Carnegie Hall Tours

Central park Carriage Ride

Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises

CitySightseeing Cruises

Dialog in the Dark

Empire State Building Observation Deck

FDNY Fire Zone

Fraunces Tavern

Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum

Madame Tussaud's New York 

Museum of the City of New York

Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) 

NBC Studio Tour

New York Hall of Science

New York Skyride

New York Transit Museum

New York Water Taxi

Radio City Music Hall Stage Door Tour

Ripley’s Believe it or Not Times Square

Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum 

Spy: The Exhibit

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island Immigration Museum Ferry 

The Cloisters Museum and Gardens

The Paley Center for Media

The Skyscraper Museum

Top of the Rock 

Yankee Stadium Tours

tino

Banned
We're visiting from the 13th - 23rd. We've got one of those New York Passes (valid from the 14th -20th) which has given us a lot to do, from looking through the list of included attractions here we've decided the following are included events worth going to. Is there anything good in the list that we've missed out on, or something shit that we should remove? Bear in mind that I dislike outside walking tours because they make me feel awkward.

911 Tribute Center 3

American Museum of Natural History  4

Bodies...The Exhibition

Carnegie Hall Tours

Central park Carriage Ride 3

Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises 4 get the 2-2.5 hr version

CitySightseeing Cruises

Dialog in the Dark

Empire State Building Observation Deck 3

FDNY Fire Zone 1

Fraunces Tavern

Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum 3.5

Madame Tussaud's New York  1

Museum of the City of New York 2.5

Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)  5

NBC Studio Tour

New York Hall of Science 2

New York Skyride

New York Transit Museum 2.5

New York Water Taxi 1.5

Radio City Music Hall Stage Door Tour

Ripley’s Believe it or Not Times Square 1

Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum  4

Spy: The Exhibit

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island Immgration Museum Ferry  5

The Cloisters Museum and Gardens 4.5

The Paley Center for Media

The Skyscraper Museum

Top of the Rock 

Yankee Stadium Tours 5 for yankees fans

My ratings. I haven't been to "Spy whatever" but since D.C. has exactly the same show I am sure is also bullshit.

Never been to these two; never even felt any inclination to. Anyone who has: is it worth it?

They are rip offs (and have nothing to do with NY). Trust me I used to be a tour guide.

bob page

Never been to these two; never even felt any inclination to. Anyone who has: is it worth it?

Nope, they're completely tourists traps and ripoffs. I feel like killing myself when I'm even within 20 feet of those places.

Take a look at the OP. A lot of the stuff you have listed is centered around Midtown and there's certainly more to see in the city than just that area.

Mully

Meetup in the next few months? City/Staten Island/Long Island GAF has been through a lot of shit this past week. It'd be cool to distract ourselves from it all and just have a good night somewhere.

Jhoan

Meetup in the next few months? City/Staten Island/Long Island GAF has been through a lot of shit this past week. It'd be cool to distract ourselves from it all and just have a good night somewhere.

Which month do you have in mind? I've been thinking about January myself since this month and December are full of papers, projects, finals, holidays, and everything else in between for us students (I know you're a working student too). January should be clear to go before the end of the month (28th I believe) since hopefully, people won't be too busy that month. Funny as hell too since I've been thinking about subtitles and graphics for the thread already that's how excited I am (I won't be any meet up threads any more for a while though). :D

Number47 said at the last the meet up that he won't be available until January as well because of school. 2 months is nothing man; everyone will be bundled up in coats and scarves again and sporting new looks and/or beards by then.

codhand

Nope, they're completely tourists traps and ripoffs. I feel like killing myself when I'm even within 20 feet of those places.

Take a look at the OP. A lot of the stuff you have listed is centered around Midtown and there's certainly more to see in the city than just that area.

this.

jdavid459

Hey Gaf,

Going to NYC for a night this upcoming weekend (maybe 2 if its awesome?) to check out the city and a couple surrounding towns. I know its very little time but any suggestions on things to do? Looking into hostels to stay at for the night, anyone ever use one in the city?

Top Bottom