• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

Kisaya

Any good tips on nice but lower-prices condos in Brooklyn? Wife and I are starting to look for something to buy, but are in the $300,000 area. Ideally we'd love to live in the city but we'd have to save much longer for that.

Look around red hook :0 they're starting to build some nice condo and co op buildings in the area for reasonable prices. I'm currently living in one of these new buildings and it feels like a dream~

Jhoan

Can't we meet up this weekend to coincide with LA GAF's meet up on Friday? Obviously, Sunday would be bad because of the Superbowl and all. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind meeting the 17th.

Kisaya

how do you commute from red hook?

The B61 is the only bus around here, takes you to Downtown Brooklyn or Park Slope. There's also a free shuttle at IKEA that takes you to Borough Hall or Smith & 9th. They're going to add more transportation soon though I heard (like the B57 and another ferry I think for now).

Kccitystar

The B61 is the only bus around here, takes you to Downtown Brooklyn or Park Slope. There's also a free shuttle at IKEA that takes you to Borough Hall or Smith & 9th. They're going to add more transportation soon though I heard (like the B57 and another ferry I think for now).

Which reminds me I need to go to IKEA for a few things...

Moving back in mid-late February. It's been a little over ten years since I've last been home. Going to make great use of this thread once I'm there.

bob page

If you guys like Triaf, should definitely try Salt & Fat in Queens

http://www.yelp.com/biz/salt-and-fat-sunnyside

I've heard good things- Alex Navvaro was talkin about it on twitter a while back.

In other news, a cop was shot in the head about a 10 min walk from my apartment last night (in Bushwick). I walked over there and there were a few hundreds NYPD & SWAT surrounding the Bushwick Houses.

My pics from the scene:
https://twitter.com/uncleguito/media/grid

ie. I'm staying away from Bushwick from now on (not that I ever went there before...)

Back about a year ago I used to visit this website that listed events going on in New York City - mostly pertaining to night life. What was great about it was a lot of the listings would have something like "mention that you're on the so-and-so list to get in with no cover". I would use it all the time to find good places to go out and pick-up girls but I eventually started dating someone and stopped going out as often.

I can't remember for the life of me what the site was... any help here? It wasn't Time Out NY or nycGo for sure.

Try
www.guestofaguest.com

Hi NY Gaf
I've just been told that I'm flying to America (houston) for work then thought id take some time to check out NYC :)
I'll be coming over on about the 20th to NY and am not sure what to wear?
the plan is to pick up some cold weather clothes in houston as i wont have time to shop before i leave. (not that australia has much in the way of cold weather gear)
will i be able to get away with jeans and a decent jacket? I dont want to stand out like an idiot wearing full thermal gear when its just not needed. :p
also, does anyone want to meet me :D
I'm pretty easy going and am looking at doing as much cool stuff as possible before i leave (so clubbing is on the list :D) but id also love to see times square, brooklyn bridge, empire state building, statue of liberty (pretty much a wirlwind tourist trip)
cheers.

El Sloth

Banned
Hi NY Gaf
I've just been told that I'm flying to America (houston) for work then thought id take some time to check out NYC :)
I'll be coming over on about the 20th to NY and am not sure what to wear?
the plan is to pick up some cold weather clothes in houston as i wont have time to shop before i leave. (not that australia has much in the way of cold weather gear)
will i be able to get away with jeans and a decent jacket? I dont want to stand out like an idiot wearing full thermal gear when its just not needed. :p
Hard to say since the weather has been pretty weird lately. Right around now I'm used to going out in full winter wear (warm hat, gloves, scarf, etc.), but today I was just fine with a thin long sleeve shirt.

It could just be that this is the calm before the bitterly cold storm though.

bob page

The weather today was amazing, I didn't need a coat or anything.

Oh, and if anyone's looking for the best street food near Times Square, the cart at 39th & 7th has the best chicken & rice in the area. He puts cucumbers and onions with his lettuce and tops off his rice with chickpeas (for the standard $5).

matt360

Has anyone ever been to the Brooklyn Brewery? I really like their beer and would maybe like to check that place out next time I visit.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Okay, so I've lived in NYC for 20 years now, but yesterday was the first time I ever visited Fort Tryon Park, and more importantly, The Cloisters.

HOLY FUCK

How is this not one of the premiere tourist attractions in the city? HOW? I'm not saying that I'd like it to be since walking around the beautiful premises in solitude was quite the surreal experience, but I'm just amazed that this wonderful land and museum have gone virtually unnoticed compared to most other attractions. The park itself is absolutely gorgeous, with breathtaking views of the Palisades and the Hudson and the George Washington Bridge. You really don't feel like you're in NYC anymore when you're there. But The Cloisters... oh my! This is one of the most amazing "museums" I've been to. I use that term loosely because it's one of the least obnoxious museums I've been to. That is, you feel like you're visiting a real, occupied castle. It's not littered with signs and shit: if you see an area or room or staircase, you're probably allowed to walk it. It was a riveting experience. I got there 20 minutes before closing on a weekday and was virtually the only person there. I had the entire castle to myself basically, and roamed the basements, the top floors, the treasure room--all of it--at my own pace.

Just... fuck. What an amazing place.

bob page

Okay, so I've lived in NYC for 20 years now, but yesterday was the first time I ever visited Fort Tryon Park, and more importantly, The Cloisters.

HOLY FUCK

How is this not one of the premiere tourist attractions in the city? HOW? I'm not saying that I'd like it to be since walking around the beautiful premises in solitude was quite the surreal experience, but I'm just amazed that this wonderful land and museum have gone virtually unnoticed compared to most other attractions. The park itself is absolutely gorgeous, with breathtaking views of the Palisades and the Hudson and the George Washington Bridge. You really don't feel like you're in NYC anymore when you're there. But The Cloisters... oh my! This is one of the most amazing "museums" I've been to. I use that term loosely because it's one of the least obnoxious museums I've been to. That is, you feel like you're visiting a real, occupied castle. It's not littered with signs and shit: if you see an area or room or staircase, you're probably allowed to walk it. It was a riveting experience. I got there 20 minutes before closing on a weekday and was virtually the only person there. I had the entire castle to myself basically, and roamed the basements, the top floors, the treasure room--all of it--at my own pace.

I've actually heard a lot about this place in the past few weeks. Is it worth going to in the winter or should I just wait until everything's bloomed in the summer?

Amir0x

Banned
Go go Brooklyn, woo.

I love visiting the city. I go every few weeks, so many amazing clubs and bars.

Edit; Yeah Fort Tryon Park is amazing. Totally support.

bob page

Go go Brooklyn, woo.

I love visiting the city. I go every few weeks, so many amazing clubs and bars.

Edit; Yeah Fort Tryon Park is amazing. Totally support.

When's the next time you'll be here? We should schedule our next meetup around that.

Amir0x

Banned
When's the next time you'll be here? We should schedule our next meetup around that.

I was probably going to set my next visit in March, when it starts getting a bit warmer. I did a GAF meetup in NYC before (we went to Dave and Busters and shit, kept it simple since it was so last minute, but it was fun), so I'd certainly be open to do it again.

El Sloth

Banned
Fort Tryon Park, huh? It's definitely a journey for me, but after a review like that I should at least check it out before the weather goes to shit again.

nitewulf

HOLY FUCK

i mentioned it in like the first page dude...

edit: err, more like the fifth page, but yeah, amazing spot. Bob you should wait till spring perhaps, because its a pretty open area, and it might be chilly, although the Hudson in winter may be quite beautiful.

number47

Fort Tryon Park, huh? It's definitely a journey for me, but after a review like that I should at least check it out before the weather goes to shit again.

Good questions for us Yorkers, whats your limit on traveling? I realized I only gone past 86 street twice, once to go to the bronx,and 125 for the airport.

Good questions for us Yorkers, whats your limit on traveling? I realized I only gone past 86 street twice, once to go to the bronx,and 125 for the airport.
Between 150th and Battery Park on the West side, on the East side I never really go north of 80th or so. Very seldom do I go into Brooklyn, if ever anymore, since moving away from there. When I do, I never go further East than Williamsburg / Greenpoint / Prospect Park. Similarly, I probably would never even get as far East as I278 in Queens. Never go to Staten Island and I used to go to the Bronx sometimes before I sold my car but not since.

That being said, those aren't really "limits" I have - just the general vicinity I spend most of my time in.

quickly drawn in Windows Snip said:
ibg8z3Y5xIbCTD.JPG

Tobe

First day in nyc, went to time square but i feel im missing out on a lot since i dont have a smartphone or mobile internet. Any chance we can have a gaf meeting before the 9th? Also i plan to buy a pc, any good place to do it offline?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

No limit. I just tend to not have any business in The Bronx or Queens.

However, I've routed a subway tour of the city that I plan on doing soon:

F train: Coney Island - Stillwell Avenue to Jay Street - MetroTech

A train: Jay Street - MetroTech to Far Rockaway - Mott Avenue

A train: Far Rockaway - Mott Avenue to Broadway Junction

J/Z train: Broadway Junction to Jamaica Center - Parsons/Archer

E train: Jamaica Center - Parsons/Archer to 74th Street - Broadway

7 train: 74th Street - Broadway to Grand Central - 42nd Street

4 train: Grand Central - 42nd Street to Woodlawn

There I would explore Van Cortlandt Park (love, love, LOVE urban parks, but I've never been to this one), and then I would return home.

I made sure to route it in such a way that I'm above ground as much as possible in every borough.

Ok NYC Gaf. I've been to the city plenty, both for work and play, but tonight (on a work trip) one of my clients took me to a secret place. You know. A place where you whisper the password, pay a bajillion dollars, then go in some unbranded, faceless place. At first I was skeptical. Now I am soaking in one of the best partygoing experiences of my life.

My question is, how common/findable are these pop up bars/cubs/palaces of dreams, and secondly,are they always this much fucking fun?

bob page

First day in nyc, went to time square but i feel im missing out on a lot since i dont have a smartphone or mobile internet. Any chance we can have a gaf meeting before the 9th? Also i plan to buy a pc, any good place to do it offline?

You can probably go to PC Richards or Davavision- might be more expensive than online, though.

As for the meetup, it's kind of a bad week for that with the Super Bowl & all (most people are already going to other parties).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's just a place to put your bed and your computer for when you're not in the city proper.

aparisi2274

HOLY FUCK

What's the best way to get there via PT? Is it faster to take the subway, then a bus? I'd be coming from like South Ferry (1 or R train).

Himself

Ok NYC Gaf. I've been to the city plenty, both for work and play, but tonight (on a work trip) one of my clients took me to a secret place. You know. A place where you whisper the password, pay a bajillion dollars, then go in some unbranded, faceless place. At first I was skeptical. Now I am soaking in one of the best partygoing experiences of my life.

My question is, how common/findable are these pop up bars/cubs/palaces of dreams, and secondly,are they always this much fucking fun?

Elitism reigns supreme in this city. These places are everywhere because they make the patrons feel special. It's part of the experience. They range from ratty Brooklyn loft parties and bars that have secret courtyards and rooftops through the kitchen to I'm sure the mega elite super secretive type stuff you got into.

I always get the feeling that there's some Eyes Wide Shut type shit going down in every conspicuously ornate looking building I pass.

There are tons of those sort of parties

They're underground in the sense that they're not advertised much online (maybe if you follow some Twitter or something sometimes). A lot of them you'll only really know about if you have connections or, more often, just frequent the club scene and get invited - pretty much how 80% of the girls get there since guys invite them for obvious reasons. I've only been to a couple and only because I met this dude at a club in LES who I ended up "befriending"... lost touch with him months ago though.

nitewulf

Milk and Honey?

Speakeasys are a trend over the past few years, the most trendy ones are too packed and too uppity these days for me, however, thankfully there are plenty of low key, classy coktail joints that aren't as arrogant and are plenty of fun, just to soak in the atmosphere and the brilliant drinks.

My particular favorite is Pegu Club, the atmosphere is classic colonial country club-ish. And the bartenders are very friendly. And they are serious about their drinks.

Milk and Honey?

Speakeasys are a trend over the past few years, the most trendy ones are too packed and too uppity these days for me, however, thankfully there are plenty of low key, classy coktail joints that aren't as arrogant and are plenty of fun, just to soak in the atmosphere and the brilliant drinks.

My particular favorite is Pegu Club, the atmosphere is classic colonial country club-ish. And the bartenders are very friendly. And they are serious about their drinks.

I'm still not sure what the place was called that I went to. There wasn't anything shady Eyes Wide Shut shit going on (although I know those exists). This place was just a cool ass lounge with awesome drinks, awesome music and not much pretense at all. I'm from a much much smaller city so these "secret" places are not something we have. It was just cool to finally hit one up.

Davidion

I'm still not sure what the place was called that I went to. There wasn't anything shady Eyes Wide Shut shit going on (although I know those exists). This place was just a cool ass lounge with awesome drinks, awesome music and not much pretense at all. I'm from a much much smaller city so these "secret" places are not something we have. It was just cool to finally hit one up.

Where was it?

For people into Japanese culture or want to go to a place to buy Japanese products, I would suggest:
1. Bookoff on 45th street between 6th and 5th. They have Japanese games, books, manga(they even have them for $1!), and music. Of course, they're all in Japanese. So this is really helpful for those who are learning/know Japanese.

2. Kinokuniya is near Bryant Park, 6th avenue. They have a wide range of Japanese books, magazines, self-study books, and manga, of course. They also have a nice cafe on the second floor with really good food. They do have some manga and books in English.

For food/dessert, I highly suggest Pink Berry for your frozen yogurt needs. It's on Korean street, near 5th ave. The staff there are usually really nice.
Two doors down Pink Berry is a nice little Korean food court. I don't remember the name of it but next time I go there, I'll jot it down. The food there is really good for the cheap price.

bob page

For people into Japanese culture or want to go to a place to buy Japanese products, I would suggest:
1. Bookoff on 45th street between 6th and 5th. They have Japanese games, books, manga(they even have them for $1!), and music. Of course, they're all in Japanese. So this is really helpful for those who are learning/know Japanese.

2. Kinokuniya is near Bryant Park, 6th avenue. They have a wide range of Japanese books, magazines, self-study books, and manga, of course. They also have a nice cafe on the second floor with really good food. They do have some manga and books in English.

For food/dessert, I highly suggest Pink Berry for your frozen yogurt needs. It's on Korean street, near 5th ave. The staff there are usually really nice.
Two doors down Pink Berry is a nice little Korean food court. I don't remember the name of it but next time I go there, I'll jot it down. The food there is really good for the cheap price.
Pinkberry is pretty much everywhere, haha- it's not really anything special.

The Korean takeout you're thinking of is probably Woorijip.

Jhoan

Well my geographic travel distance goes from where I am at (Washington Heights) up to 225th street in The Bronx, and practically all of Manhattan down to Broadway Nassau. I rarely if ever go out to Brooklyn or Queens because I have no reason to do so. As I previously said though, I love Union Square for how relaxed it is compared to crappy ass Times Square. Not to mention, the tons of attractive women that walk by there every day.

HOLY FUCK

C'mon man, I mentioned that early in the thread; I live one stop away from there (you guys can figure out what street I live in easily; hint: I see the Hudson River/GWB every day by looking out my window). The annual Medieval festival in early October is not to be missed; it's absolutely fun. The park sure is a beauty. Riverside Park (by where the Little Red Lighthouse is at) is great during the summer as well.

As I said before, Washington Heights/Inwood are extremely underrated compared to the rest of Manhattan. It's Dominican food heaven up here in The Heights; there's so many restaurants that have live bands in the weekends that you don't even know where to begin. If you know how to dance Bachata and Merengue, then it's a +1 for you. There's free concerts up here in the summer, street festivals, and historic places like the Morris Jumel Mansion down in 162nd.

The Heights becomes ridiculously loud in the summer so that might bother some people. There's a reason it's known as the loudest neighborhood in NY, and that's because of the summer.

In terms of a good bar, you can't go wrong with Coogan's on 168th and Broadway. While I've never been there myself, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I would recommend you guys check out The Uptown Collective for stuff on what's happening up here. The Manhattan Times is a fantastic community newspaper; I always make sure I pick up a weekly copy. There's so much history up here, I've never realized it and I've lived in Washington Heights forever. The Colosseum Theatre which is in 181st and Broadway used to be a vaudeville theatre from the 1920's up until about the 1960's when the spaces were leased out to retail stores. The (crappy) movie theatre recently closed in November. People are trying to convert it into a community theatre (which would be pretty sweet).

Top Bottom