• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

jasonng

Sup guys NY Gaf here. Actually NJ Gaf, but same thing. I'm up for a meetup on a weekend whenever it's set up.
The date's going to be on the 18th. It's a Saturday at the gaf bar. I'm going to make a thread on it eventually. Also, there's some interest in doing another meetup the weekend before so there might be two meetups total.

I got some friends coming from out of town to stay with me this weekend (a couple and their friend). Any suggestions where I should take them for night life? These aren't really the club type of people.

amrihua

As someone who travels around. I can say that NYC is one of the best -if not the best- city I've ever been to. Kyoto could probably rank ahead because of its ancient landmarks but NYC has it beaten when it comes to museums. I'll be going to NYC again this summer, hopefully.

Tobe

Is anythig open today? I mean its super bowl day and i wanted to go to central park and maybe some museum.

Pinkberry is pretty much everywhere, haha- it's not really anything special.

The Korean takeout you're thinking of is probably Woorijip.
Huh, did not know that. D:

Hmm, that's probably the place.

The Botanic Gardens was mentioned before and I highly recommend that place. I usually go there when they hold Sakura Matsuri, which is held around April 28-29 this year.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Okay, so I've lived in NYC for 20 years now, but yesterday was the first time I ever visited Fort Tryon Park, and more importantly, The Cloisters.

HOLY FUCK

How is this not one of the premiere tourist attractions in the city? HOW? I'm not saying that I'd like it to be since walking around the beautiful premises in solitude was quite the surreal experience, but I'm just amazed that this wonderful land and museum have gone virtually unnoticed compared to most other attractions. The park itself is absolutely gorgeous, with breathtaking views of the Palisades and the Hudson and the George Washington Bridge. You really don't feel like you're in NYC anymore when you're there. But The Cloisters... oh my! This is one of the most amazing "museums" I've been to. I use that term loosely because it's one of the least obnoxious museums I've been to. That is, you feel like you're visiting a real, occupied castle. It's not littered with signs and shit: if you see an area or room or staircase, you're probably allowed to walk it. It was a riveting experience. I got there 20 minutes before closing on a weekday and was virtually the only person there. I had the entire castle to myself basically, and roamed the basements, the top floors, the treasure room--all of it--at my own pace.

Just... fuck. What an amazing place.

I go running there from spring to fall. You are right about the views you get, it's incredibly awesome/romantic.

It's a few blocks away from me, I fucking love it during the summer. It gets pretty packed with our Dominican/Jews/Caucasians. I love this area of Manhattan man. I have lived up here all my life, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Washington Heights is awesome bro.

Jhoan

I go running there from spring to fall. You are right about the views you get, it's incredibly awesome/romantic.

It's a few blocks away from me, I fucking love it during the summer. It gets pretty packed with our Dominican/Jews/Caucasians. I love this area of Manhattan man. I have lived up here all my life, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Washington Heights is awesome bro.
Another Washington Heights brother? *Bro fist.* I know that feel bro. It gets pretty crazy up here, and the scale of the free concerts has calmed down within the last 5 or so years (which sucks). You know summer is coming when you see guys playing dominoes in the street on along the St. Nicholas strip and you hear motorcycles speeding down the streets. I completely agree; it will always be my home sweet home even if I move away. I swear the most romantic place to bring chick to is to see the sunset on the Hudson River from Riverside Drive; specifically, "The Box" as I call it. I'm going to see if I take a picture of it and post it.

The date's going to be on the 18th. It's a Saturday at the gaf bar. I'm going to make a thread on it eventually. Also, there's some interest in doing another meetup the weekend before so there might be two meetups total.
So many GAFers from all over the states are meeting up this month; it's amazing. Finally, we're making it happen. If there's gonna be two meet ups, then I think next Saturday would work for me because I'm going to a Speed Dating event at my school next Friday from 7-10 (I doubt it's gonna go all the way to 10). Keep us updated on this second, earlier meet up.

entremet

I live right across Fort Tryon. One of the big reasons I moved to the heights. That plus cheap rent and dominican women, lol.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
lol Can't believe we have gaffers in the area ^ bro fist to both. Nice.

Dominican women (White are my fav though and I'm Dominican American lol) are so awesome.

Up here we are spoiled! We got the best looking women man! This area of the heights is getting upscale and shit man, little by little. They will be erecting 4-5 40+ story lux buildings by the 1 train in 190th pretty soon I hear.

You know summer is coming when you see guys playing dominoes in the street on along the St. Nicholas strip and you hear motorcycles speeding down the streets. I completely agree; it will always be my home sweet home even if I move away. I swear the most romantic place to bring chick to is to see the sunset on the Hudson River from Riverside Drive; specifically, "The Box" as I call it. I'm going to see if I take a picture of it and post it.
Wow, this reminds me of my childhood. I used to live in that area but I occasionally go there since I still have family over there. I'm still surprised that the same people who have been playing dominoes for the past 10 years are still at it in the same area outside my grandmother's apartment.

Jhoan

lol Can't believe we have gaffers in the area ^ bro fist to both. Nice.

Dominican women (White are my fav though and I'm Dominican American lol) are so awesome.

Up here we are spoiled! We got the best looking women man! This area of the heights is getting upscale and shit man, little by little. They will be erecting 4-5 40+ story lux buildings by the 1 train in 190th pretty soon I hear.
Yeah, same here man. As a Dominican guy, I think Dominican women are hard to bag, so I don't even bother going after them. It's typically Black chicks that are after me, and Latin American chicks. I think Latin American women are more laid back, so if an Ecuadorian chick is sending out signals, I'm on it.

It's interesting to note that in most of my classes (since I'm an Art student), I'm the only Spanish speaking guy there. It doesn't help that I'm brown, but I love it. So many white chicks in all those classes; it's insane and I go to Hunter College AKA White people heaven (it has Arabics and whatnot too). My brother's girlfriend is Russian and Ukrainian and they have a daughter so I can see why. If white chicks find us exotic, then more power to us.

Yeah, that's right. I think they're already done, although I'm not so sure. There's one of those buildings literally across the street from the 1 train on 190th and Broadway. There's a supermarket right below it too.

It pains to see that The Heights is getting gentrified; I hope we don't end up getting kicked out. I think the GWB Terminal is going to get renovated too and lease out a ton of space to retailers. The 178th Broadway Entrance is going to get turned into retail space, and there's going to a Marshall's across the street. It's going to be brightly lit (which is going to get rid of the pimps, prostitutes and crackheads)

As long as the rent stays affordable, and we have guys like Rodriguez, Espaillat, and Linares doing their thing for the community in Albany and at City Hall we're fine. The most important thing is that as long Whites, Dominicans, and other people get along and understand each other, it won't be a problem.

Wow, this reminds me of my childhood. I used to live in that area but I occasionally go there since I still have family over there. I'm still surprised that the same people who have been playing dominoes for the past 10 years are still at it in the same area outside my grandmother's apartment.

I never noticed that but it's true. The moment you hear Bachata getting blasted out of radios and people playing dominoes outside, you know you're home. There's nothing like than going to a restaurant to watch a Merengue Tipico band or a Bachata band and drinking a beer or two. I'm getting nostalgic.

EDIT: Taken from the LA GAF meet up thread:
So you guys are still set on the 17th or 18th? Boo. I'll be in NY 12-16th(day only for 16) and I was hoping to join in. *shakes a fist at jason*

I didn't want to make a double post so here's the deal guys. H. Protagonist is going to be in town next week for 4 days only and she wants to meet up. I know a ton of you must be busy in the middle of the week with work and/or school. Would anyone be down to meetup next week between Monday and Wednesday night?

bob page

I can probably meetup but won't be able to stay out too late because of work. It all depends on how my work schedule plays out, though. If anything, the 16th would be the day for me.

Oh, and GO GIANTS!

RawPower

Banned
I'll have to see what next week looks like for me. I can probably be there on at least one of those dates. Where in NY will it be, exactly?

jasonng

I can probably meetup but won't be able to stay out too late because of work. It all depends on how my work schedule plays out, though. If anything, the 16th would be the day for me.

Oh, and GO GIANTS!
You're killing me, man. I'm probably going to post up a thread tomorrow since we all will be too busy celebrating tonight. I'm going to stick with Friday or Saturday because it's the most convenient for everyone. My idea right now is to do two meetups, one on the weekend of the 10th and one on the weekend after. Since there are actually two Gaf bars, it's only fair we hit both; one per weekend. Also I'm thinking of doing one on a Friday and the other on a Saturday. That way there will be a meetup that would work for you guys.

Details later, I gatta go yell at bob page via PM tomorrow.

bob page

You're killing me, man. I'm probably going to post up a thread tomorrow since we all will be too busy celebrating tonight. I'm going to stick with Friday or Saturday because it's the most convenient for everyone. My idea right now is to do two meetups, one on the weekend of the 10th and one on the weekend after. Since there are actually two Gaf bars, it's only fair we hit both; one per weekend. Also I'm thinking of doing one on a Friday and the other on a Saturday. That way there will be a meetup that would work for you guys.

Details later, I gatta go yell at bob page via PM tomorrow.

lol.

Well I'll come to the one on the 17th weekend for sure. This upcoming weekend is out of the question for me, but the 16th and beyond is fair game (preferably Friday or Saturday).

Bliany

I'm going to be visiting around the city for a couple more days this week. Can anyone recommend some guitar shops to check out? There's definitely tons of them around but I wanna know which ones are worth finding. Thanks

Kccitystar

I'm going to be visiting around the city for a couple more days this week. Can anyone recommend some guitar shops to check out? There's definitely tons of them around but I wanna know which ones are worth finding. Thanks

There's a Guitar Center on West 14th street. You'd have to take either the 1/2/3 train and walk a short walk, or take the 4/5/6 and walk a little more than usual to get there :)

Jhoan

SamAsh sells some good guitars on 48th between Broadway and 6th avenue. You can also go check out some decent guitars at the Best Buy at Union Square (take the 6,5, 4, or L train from the A or 1 train stations). Guitar Center's good too. I can't think of any others other than those 3.

Jason, dude, I know you must be bombarded with messages by H. Protagonist. As I said in the LA GAF thread I wouldn't mind doing a small meet up in the middle of next week because I have classes in the day mostly with Tuesday being my day off. However, I'm not very knowledgeable of places like the rest of you are. If you guys need help coordinating any of these meet ups, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Oh, and congrats to the Giants. Is anyone gonna go to the parade on Tuesday? I might pass by because I don't have class for the hell of it. I remember having jury duty on the last Giants parade in 2007 and having to move through the crowds. I don't watch football like that; I'm a very casual fan, but it's nice that they won.

Mully

I'm all good for a GAF meetup. It'd be awesome to meet at both GAF bars in Midtown and Uptown. Hopefully I'll be able to blend in among all of you and not get ID'd.

Jhoan

I'm free on Tuesday, so if I don't feel lazy, I'll probably go. Otherwise, I'll be watching it at home.

yencid

lmao reading about fort tyron park is kinda funny when i lived pretty close to it myself.

I used to live in dyckman for like 5 years. I like inwood hill park more myself tho.

The anne loftus playground was a daily hang out spot for me.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
No limit. I just tend to not have any business in The Bronx or Queens.

However, I've routed a subway tour of the city that I plan on doing soon:

F train: Coney Island - Stillwell Avenue to Jay Street - MetroTech

A train: Jay Street - MetroTech to Far Rockaway - Mott Avenue

A train: Far Rockaway - Mott Avenue to Broadway Junction

J/Z train: Broadway Junction to Jamaica Center - Parsons/Archer

E train: Jamaica Center - Parsons/Archer to 74th Street - Broadway

7 train: 74th Street - Broadway to Grand Central - 42nd Street

4 train: Grand Central - 42nd Street to Woodlawn

There I would explore Van Cortlandt Park (love, love, LOVE urban parks, but I've never been to this one), and then I would return home.

I made sure to route it in such a way that I'm above ground as much as possible in every borough.

So does anyone see any logistical issues with this route?

How about general safety? I should be okay if I just transfer from one train to another, right? I normally don't fret too much over safety, but I've never been that far in Brooklyn or Queens on any line, so I don't know what to expect. Same for most of the Bronx (furthest I've been on train is Yankee Stadium).

How about general safety? I should be okay if I just transfer from one train to another, right? I normally don't fret too much over safety, but I've never been that far in Brooklyn or Queens on any line, so I don't know what to expect. Same for most of the Bronx (furthest I've been on train is Yankee Stadium).

No subway station is going to be worse than random bad luck these days unless you're traveling in the wee hours. Especially if you're getting out at transfer stations, those always have traffic.

You have absolutely nothing to worry about, it's actually rather silly to think that there's some sort of danger switching trains at any of those stations. I mean, Broadway Junction is technically in a pretty shitty neighborhood that you probably don't want to walk around in at 4 in the morning but I used to take that stop every day back and forth to work when I used to live in Brooklyn. It's a very busy station, lots of people, and the most dangerous thing is the possibility that you'll buy one of the shitty spanish churros being sold on the platform. The other deep stops, Parsons and Far Rockaway are so far you've already passed the ghetto - Rockaway is a bunch of hipsters living in beach houses and around the Parson's stop is a lot of single family homes.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Yeah, like I said, I normally don't concern myself with safety (I mean, I frequently take the train home alone at 2, 3, 4, 5 in the morning on weekdays and weekends), but I just wanted to be absolutely certain since I understand some of those neighborhoods (especially in Brooklyn) have a... reputation. :p

Thanks, though.

Anyone checking out the Giants Parade tomorrow? My office building overlooks Broadway at Wall Street so I'll probably get a good view out the window from the 6th floor. According to the memo we got at work though it seems like it's going to be a major headache getting around tomorrow downtown.

bob page

Oh, New York:
http://gothamist.com/2012/02/06/happening_now_superman_climbs_horse.php#photo-3

2612superman5.jpg

2612superman4.jpg

sweet, subscribed

i moved here in june from chicago where i lived most of my life. lived in chinatown for a bit, now i live in nolita.

What is the main club/pub district in new york? In perth we have a a few main areas (northbridge, fremantle) where most of the clubs are located and you just walk from club to club drinking on the way. does the same thing happen in NY or is it you pick one club and stay there the night?
also, what gig guide does everyone use to find out whats happening?
cheers

What is the main club/pub district in new york? In perth we have a a few main areas (northbridge, fremantle) where most of the clubs are located and you just walk from club to club drinking on the way. does the same thing happen in NY or is it you pick one club and stay there the night?
cheers

Too many to mention the entire city has pubs and stuff to do especially Manhattan.
The OP is good for places to go, Timeout NYC is ok for general stuff, brooklyn vegan.com is good for hipster live music guide.

bob page

cheers

St. Marks is probably my favorite pub area in the city.

cheers for the replies, Ive been googling the clubs and some of those upmarket ones look like i wont even be allowed in! i hate dressing up to go clubbing (mostly because its 30+ degrees C here and long pants and shirt kill you!) but of course ill be giving it all a decent crack :D if anyone is at the GAF meetup and keen for clubbing im up for a few decent night outs :)

Top Bottom