• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

St. Marks seemed like an awesome place when I first moved here, that opinion changed pretty quickly. Kind of like what Mickey said, in my mind going to a pub there would be like going to a restaurant in Times Square.

Tobe

Hey guys i need a cab for tomorrow early.in the morning, any good service for JFK from downtown brooklyn

what nights are best to go?

In terms of club hopping in NYC go to Meatpacking on a Thursday night. Stay away from there on Saturday nights. Friday is a hit or miss, but in terms of going from actual A+ club to the next you have SL, Le Bain, RDV, Kiss & Fly, Tenjune, Griffin and Bunker all within a few blocks from each other.

Once again I cannot stress enough that if you want to go club hopping, Wednesday and Thursday are your best options. You don't really get a B&T crowd and many locals will go out on a Thursday night so there is lots of energy but never overly crowded and annoying. On the weekends just hit up some lounges on the East Village.

Hey guys i need a cab for tomorrow early.in the morning, any good service for JFK from downtown brooklyn

Cab? If you want to save some money (at the expense of time), there are four buses that go to JFK. Q15 goes into southern Brooklyn, which you can probably get to via subway.

Of course, if it's early in the morning, as you said, you might not want to deal with things that take longer time. :|

In terms of club hopping in NYC go to Meatpacking on a Thursday night. Stay away from there on Saturday nights. Friday is a hit or miss, but in terms of going from actual A+ club to the next you have SL, Le Bain, RDV, Kiss & Fly, Tenjune, Griffin and Bunker all within a few blocks from each other.

Once again I cannot stress enough that if you want to go club hopping, Wednesday and Thursday are your best options. You don't really get a B&T crowd and many locals will go out on a Thursday night so there is lots of energy but never overly crowded and annoying. On the weekends just hit up some lounges on the East Village.

cheers for the heads up :) ill be taking your advice.
another thing i was wondering is how do you tip at clubs? dont people want to get a drink then get out of the way for the next person? are you supposed to tip each time or just one big tip at the end? and what is generally accepted as a good amount?

entremet

Any good lounges in the EV? Don't really hit that hood often.

bob page

Went to La Sirene last night based on lawblob's recommendation. Absolutely amazing. I had the filet mignon w/ fois gras and my gf had the duck w/ cherry sauce... both were incredible (as were the veggies and french onion soup).

Definitely highly recommended if you're looking for ~$100 date place.

Also, had a chance to hit up the Meatball Shop today for lunch. Also excellent- loved the variety of flavors.

Karram

So I'm staying in NYC in March for 3 nights. I'm looking for a good Hotel in the central park area with a rate <$130. Any recommendations GAF ?

bob page

So I'm staying in NYC in March for 3 nights. I'm looking for a good Hotel in the central park area with a rate <$130. Any recommendations GAF ?

I don't think you're going to find a hotel for that cheap near Central Park, let alone in Manhattan (one that's not a shithole, at least).

Any good lounges in the EV? Don't really hit that hood often.

Check out Beauty & Essex, Sons of Essex, The Box and Ella to name a few. When I am in the EV there are so many places open to just run in and out if you think it sucks which makes it a cool place to party. There are so many places in such a close proximity. There are also some places around the China Town border like the Blind Barber and Red Egg.

cheers for the heads up :) ill be taking your advice.
another thing i was wondering is how do you tip at clubs? dont people want to get a drink then get out of the way for the next person? are you supposed to tip each time or just one big tip at the end? and what is generally accepted as a good amount?

It depends on what you do. Bottle service you tip at the end of course when you get the bill. If I dont so bottle service I just leave a $1 or $2 tip depending on what I order. I tend to tip more if the bar is packed so the bartenders will take care of me.

tino

Banned
Went to The Cloisters a few days ago. It's like you walk from the A Train straight to "In the Name of Rose".

Dos TOROS you mean? yeah they are really good. Southern California style.

Toros, yes. I got one steak and one chicken taco. Very good.

This Thai place Reserve is also pretty good. I get lunch specials there. It includes a lot (pad thai, dumplings and soup) for around 8 bucks,

Jhoan

Went to The Cloisters a few days ago. It's like you walk from the A Train straight to "In the Name of Rose".

The view of The Heights from there is amazing. It's one of the best viewpoints in the city. The Medieval Festival that they have every year is also great fun.

So I promised I'd show you guys a picture of "The Box" that's in my block, and here it is:
bqcd7l.jpg

New Next Door Neighbor: You guys live in a nice block with a nice view!
My bro: After living here for so long, I don't even notice it.
Me: Yeah, I don't pay attention to it. It's there when I go out, it's there when I go home. It's not a big deal.

Tons of Jews go there to watch the sunset during Rosh Hashanah I believe.

What's the best Pad Thai you guys have ever had (in midtown, upper east-ish if possible)? I've had quite a few -- Little Thai Kitchen, Spice, etc. -- and I think Spice is the best.

bob page

What's the best Pad Thai you guys have ever had (in midtown, upper east-ish if possible)? I've had quite a few -- Little Thai Kitchen, Spice, etc. -- and I think Spice is the best.

Qi is pretty good and the lunch special is really awesome for the price ($8).

Also, looks like the Coen Brothers have transformed some parts of East Villiage to 1960's style this week for their new movie:
http://gothamist.com/2012/02/16/the_coen_brothers_have_transformed.php#photo-3

Guys, pre summer when is the best month to go to NYC?

I am planning to hit there probably early next year, but I need to know of some good hotels. There will be 3 of us going, and we're all neo-geeky guys, so some of the computer game links, etc will be interesting.

We want to hit all 5 boroughs, and being hip-hop heads we would want to try and take in some culture, so we will be going to QB...lol no no just joking. We will try and stay away from the crazy parts, but places like Rucker Park and maybe to see the Big Pun/Big L memorial pieces will be on our list- just don't know how crazy it is!

We don't want to do too much of the touristy stuff though, would like to get down to what the locals do, from eateries and small jazz cafes, and meet some of the fine women of NYC!

bob page

Guys, pre summer when is the best month to go to NYC?

I am planning to hit there probably early next year, but I need to know of some good hotels. There will be 3 of us going, and we're all neo-geeky guys, so some of the computer game links, etc will be interesting.

We want to hit all 5 boroughs, and being hip-hop heads we would want to try and take in some culture, so we will be going to QB...lol no no just joking. We will try and stay away from the crazy parts, but places like Rucker Park and maybe to see the Big Pun/Big L memorial pieces will be on our list- just don't know how crazy it is!

We don't want to do too much of the touristy stuff though, would like to get down to what the locals do, from eateries and small jazz cafes, and meet some of the fine women of NYC!

I'd say May, June or September. The other summer months are usually really, really warm.

does anyone want to come out clubbing/pubbing sometime with me this week in NY? ive worked out the subway now after failing miserably for the gaf meet up and am looking to make it up.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Read the last few pages, good to see the love for The Cloisters. I grew up in the Heights like a bunch of GAFfers apparently did, and my trainer used to make us run it 3 times a week (and the fucking stairs on 187/Fort Wash), it's beautiful in every season.

I really love Washington Heights, but I'm glad I moved out. I couldn't find parking!

I'd be remiss not to mention these:

Sandwich spots:
Defonte's of Brooklyn 21st and 3rd in Manhattan - There's actually one in BK but I've never been
99 Miles to Philly 12th and 2nd - Ridiculous cheesesteaks. I travel for these.

Japanese:
Shi - It's not that terrific, but the view is ridiculous. Definitely worth a try for that alone.

Asian Fusion:
Friendhouse - My gf loves this place, it's cheap and decent quality food with a pretty good happy hour.

Italian:
Arthur Ave, Bronx NY - Yes I'm recommending a whole fucking avenue! Delicious Italian eats everywhere. Pizzerias, bakeries, restaurants, delis, you name it you got it.

Milchjon

I know it's been a week, so maybe it's too late and not what you're looking for:

I stayed in NYC in a youth hostel that was extremely cheap (I think it was $42/night in 2008) and in walking distance to the Central Park.

I know those things aren't for everybody (8 beds in a room I think) but for me on a budget it was totally worth it. And it's not like you're gonna spend a lot of time in your hotel room anyway.

http://hinewyork.org/

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Sandwich spots:
Defonte's of Brooklyn 21st and 3rd in Manhattan - There's actually one in BK but I've never been
Roast beef sandwich is amazing. The one in Brooklyn is near Ikea, if people are tired of little meatballs.

I've been dying for a damn good cheesesteak. Thanks for the mention, I gatta check it out now.
Some other options... Kwik Meal Cart has a pretty good non-traditional cheesksteak. And I think there's a cheesesteak foodtruck that now has a guy from Patsy's cooking for it.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of some of the newer apartment complexes in Astoria or Long Island City? I'm looking to make the move to a newer and nicer place after spending a few years in a building known mostly for its major code violations.

Specifically, I was thinking Packard Square in LIC. Not cheap (around 2 grand for a 1BR) but very nice and modern, and close to the 7 or N (Queensboro Plaza stop). I checked it out a few years ago and it really did seem nice, but I didn't pull the trigger at the time. I'm giving it a second glance now.

Anyone have any insight into these so-called "luxury" buildings in these areas?

Davidion

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of some of the newer apartment complexes in Astoria or Long Island City? I'm looking to make the move to a newer and nicer place after spending a few years in a building known mostly for its major code violations.

Specifically, I was thinking Packard Square in LIC. Not cheap (around 2 grand for a 1BR) but very nice and modern, and close to the 7 or N (Queensboro Plaza stop). I checked it out a few years ago and it really did seem nice, but I didn't pull the trigger at the time. I'm giving it a second glance now.

Anyone have any insight into these so-called "luxury" buildings in these areas?

This?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&r...Dg&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&ved=0CBEQ_BI

You'd have to walk to Astoria for everything. The area immediately north of Queensboro Plaza is a bit deserted.

I would think if you wanted to move to LIC you'd look closer to Vernon Jackson, unless it's an investment property.

Top Bottom