• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York on verge of tuition-free college for middle class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

$14k is something you could approach with a part-time job (although the most i ever pulled as a student-worker on part time wages in a year was about $9,000 in a year, but I worked part-time through the summer too instead of picking up a more lucrative summer job), assuming you were getting no parental help.

Aurongel

If you're not in NYC or able to commute to NYC yea...Prospects are trash.
The government's worst case scenario is a guy like me who gets a cheap education then fucks off to Texas or California making literally double what I did near their new Nano center. There are areas of NY that are such rust belt dogshit that they're literally paying engineers to live there. Utica is a prime example of that. They just went Republican for the first time in nearly a hundred years and heroin use is out of control there. They're trying to stall people from bailing out but its not going to fix the core economic issues that are making people jump ship.

Infinite

In NYC you're competing with the most talented people who graduated from the most prestigious universities in the world, and the rest of the state is dying.

That's the main problem.
That doesn't really matter though. Depending on your career and degree, internships, portfolios, network, and how you do in an interview matters way more than the name on your degree. There's so many jobs out here in NYC so you want have trouble landing an interview.

That said CUNY schools need to step their game up with regards to the facilities

Bubba T

hqdefault.jpg

Seriously, that's pretty scummy.

This isn't really much different than the non-profit loan forgiveness. In fact, one could argue that this is better because you aren't locked in a lower paying non-profit job for 10 years.

That doesn't really matter though. Depending on your career and degree, internships, portfolios, network, and how you do in an interview matters way more than the name on your degree. There's so many jobs out here in NYC so you want have trouble landing an interview.

That said CUNY schools need to step their game up with regards to the facilities

Uhh, yes it does. Its not as important for tech, but for the traditional white collar fields (Law, Finance, Consulting, etc.) prestige is very important when it comes to getting your foot in the door.

Infinite

Uhh, yes it does. Its not as important for tech, but for the traditional white collar fields (Law, Finance, Consulting, etc.) prestige is very important when it comes to getting your foot in the door.

We're not necessarily disagreeing. I did say as a caveat to my posts that it doesn't really matter to certain fields. However you're gonna need some substance to back up your posts. I find it hard to believe that a person will denied a fucking interview regardless of their experience because of the name on their degree especially in a city like New York where there's openings like crazy.

Bubba T

Your network matters more than the name of the school on your degree, but for many people, their network is at least partially rooted from the school they went to.

You can go to a 'lesser' school than one applicant and still be selected over that applicant because you have better connections. This is the real reason many people go to name brand schools, because better connections more easily found there.

Infinite

Your network matters more than the name of the school on your degree, but for many people, their network is at least partially rooted from the school they went to.

You can go to a 'lesser' school than one applicant and still be selected over that applicant because you have better connections. This is the real reason many people go to name brand schools, because better connections more easily found there.
That said you can still build a network from doing internships or having tangible experience in the field you're going after.

Fitts

I know most people would freak out, but honestly free tuition + free healthcare are 100% worth considerable tax hikes imo.

Taxes are already outrageous in NY. I'm all for this tuition plan if it doesn't cost me anything more, though.

And no, it isn't "fuck you, I got mine" so spare me any knee-jerk rhetoric. I'm not wealthy and live frugally.

Stanng243

Taxes are already outrageous in NY. I'm all for this tuition plan if it doesn't cost me anything more, though.

And no, it isn't "fuck you, I got mine" so spare me any knee-jerk rhetoric. I'm not wealthy and live frugally.
I don't mind paying the taxes if I can use the program. If they have an age limit on it, I'll take every legal action I can including lawsuits for age discrimination.

This. Exactly this.

I don't mind paying the taxes if I can use the program. If they have an age limit on it, I'll take every legal action I can including lawsuits for age discrimination.

That's the thing. My wife and I will be paying taxes on this but my kid can't use it. Doesn't exactly make me enthusiastic 😂

Agreed. I already pay a fuckload of money to this state and city. If they can figure it out without costing me money, great. If not, fuck this.

Prologue

I think he might have been a little harsh, but there's a massive, MASSIVE quality gap between where the top UC schools are and where SUNY is.

UC Berkley is at #1 among all public institutions and #20 Nationally, UCLA is at #2, UC Santa Barbara is at #8, UC Irvine is at #9, UC Davis and San Diego tied at #10, etc.

the highest SUNY school is at #36 among the top public schools, and #86 nationally.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

From US news, so take it with the appropriate salt grains.

nowhere in the same league. I wouldn't NOT take the deal if I was the average student, but there's a hell of a quality gap between the two.

I don't even live in CA- I'm in PA and this is obvious.

Berkeley also a bit over twice the cost of Suny schools. Now more than its more about who you know and what you do with your education, rather where you actually go.

legend166

Why should those who don't need to attend university for their careers (tradesman et al) be forced to subsidise tertiary education that allows others to boost their earning potential?

Now obviously the situation as it currently stands in the US is ridiculous. But why free tuition over loans indexed at CPI with very generous income based repayments (basically what Australia has)?

Quixzlizx

Not for everyone. Like I said it's a good first step but it should be across the board free. I'm fine helping out the most needy first but we need to make progress across the board. Our education system is so fucked.

If you consider "the most needy" to be anyone under 100k a year, you probably don't have to worry about the tuition costs for a SUNY school.

Bubba T

Why should those who don't need to attend university for their careers (tradesman et al) be forced to subsidise tertiary education that allows others to boost their earning potential?

Now obviously the situation as it currently stands in the US is ridiculous. But why free tuition over loans indexed at CPI with very generous income based repayments (basically what Australia has)?

This argument can be used for many taxes.

The basic premise is that taxes are used to fund expenditures for the overall betterment of the public, not a particular group. Education is overall in the best interest of the public, even if you aren't benefiting directly from the tax levied.

Quixzlizx

You're going to need an MBA or law degree for a lot of those jobs anyway.

The Lamp

Because more accessible education makes society a better place for everyone, ie less ignorance such as alt-right rhetoric. Some people's education may not result in good pay-off, but that doesn't mean the education isn't valuable to society.

mid83

That's why I hate when people say stuff like this is free, as if nobody but those evil 1%ers everybody loves to hate are affected.

Upstate New York basically is Kentucky or Iowa in terms of long-term employment prospects. Its a wasteland.

Meanwhile, in NYC you are at a heavy disadvantage due to the fact that you're competing for jobs with people who went to much better universities.

Western NY?

We're doing fine, and if you handle the winters, it's a pleasant place to live.

There's more to NY than NYC and farm towns. There's actually quite a few other large cities in NYS. I live seven hours from NYC, and I can see sky scrapers from my backyard.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They will have to take measures to retain people thought. In the US, mobility seems to be quite high, so I guess they will have to take some serious effort to retain graduates.

If NY went ahead with a moon-shot for affordable housing, seems like it would be a win-win situation, retention would be very high.

This would be a hell of a deal if New York's public universities were decent.

Not at all. The UC system is unrivaled. Berkeley and UCLA are the two best public universities in the country and the gap between them and the rest of the field is enormous. Plus Davis, Irvine, Santa Barbara, and San Diego are all top 50 schools in the country. The only mediocre UC schools are Merced and Riverside, both of which are still better than any NY university besides Buffalo and Binghamton.

SUNY is straight crap in comparison. The best SUNY university (Binghatom) doesn't even make the top 80.

Okay, now while Berkeley has the best claim to the title of best public university in the US, I don't know that I'd say that UCLA is a clear number 2, or that the gap after them is that huge, when we have schools like UM-Ann Arbor, UT-Austin, UNC-Chapel Hill, and UVA.

Arttemis

Holy shit, this is tenancies! I heard San Francisco was doing this, but that was city-based, and not the state.

Depending on your career choice, not being able to move out of New York for 4+ years could really limit your marketability.

Also, sometimes people are forced to unexpectedly move because a family member gets sick, etc. Now on top of that, those people are saddled with full tuition debt.

I understand the reasoning behind it, I just think it's a bad idea.
Then choose to pay a different way. I think you'll be in a tiny minority for doing so.

legend166

This argument can be used for many taxes.

The basic premise is that taxes are used to fund expenditures for the overall betterment of the public, not a particular group. Education is overall in the best interest of the public, even if you aren't benefiting directly from the tax levied.

Sure, the public already funds 13 years of free education and I'm not arguing against that. So really it's a question of how much.

And again, I'm not arguing about putting in place anything that would make it prohibitive to attend.

Not how it works. Your parents income is taken into account on the FAFSA until you turn 24 regardless of whether they claim you or not.
Which is bullshit. I hadn't lived with my parents for years, or even talked to them much, and lived on the other side of the US than they did and they still needed my parents income.

Guess this is more for the youngsters? A 40 year old who wants to make a change won't be able to take advantage of this? I don't know the details of this but will look into it if it becomes official.

Ovid

Which is bullshit. I hadn't lived with my parents for years, or even talked to them much, and lived on the other side of the US than they did and they still needed my parents income.
Team Alucard is right.

You must be doing something wrong because I never put my parents income on my FAFSA. They don't claim me on their taxes because I file as independent. I'm also over the age of 24.

Guess this is more for the youngsters? A 40 year old who wants to make a change won't be able to take advantage of this? I don't know the details of this but will look into it if it becomes official.
I didn't read anything regarding age requirements.

You just have to be making less than $100K, not receiving any Pell or TAP grants.

CUNY schools are actually right around that. Of course that doesn't include books, travel, etc etc, but still.
That grant amount is for the year, not each semester.

Team Alucard is right.

You must be doing something wrong because I never put my parents income on my FAFSA. They don't claim me on their taxes because I file as independent. I'm also over the age of 24.

They list you as dependent unless you were in the military, were a ward of he state, are married, or over 24, IIRC. Even if your parents are dead, retired, or estranged.

ItIsOkBro

Just another version of, "Fuck you, I got mine."

there are two ways the 'fuck you, got mine' mentality applies. advocating for restricting access to something you already have. failing to acknowledge any circumstances or privileges you had that allowed you to get yours. neither of those apply here.

from what i can tell, new york has a huge underfunded schools problem. and there are race and location divides in terms of high school graduation rates and gpas upon graduation. who is free tuition really helping when there are schools that struggle to produce kids with the gpas to get into university in the first place? this is something i would want my taxes to address, because i was privileged to go to a good public school.

if someone can show me a set of students that could gain admission to university, are lacking in some sort of privilege that means they could not get a government loan, and free tuition now means they can go to university, i would reverse my position. until then, in the presence of a fair government loan (no interest until graduation, income based repayment), my position is free tuition is amazing but it helps students that don't really need help and ignores ones that do.

nel e nel

there are two ways the 'fuck you, got mine' mentality applies. advocating for restricting access to something you already have. failing to acknowledge any circumstances or privileges you had that allowed you to get yours. neither of those apply here.

from what i can tell, new york has a huge underfunded schools problem. and there are race and location divides in terms of high school graduation rates and gpas upon graduation. who is free tuition really helping when there are schools that struggle to produce kids with the gpas to get into university in the first place? this is something i would want my taxes to address, because i was privileged to go to a good public school.

if someone can show me a set of students that could gain admission to university, are lacking in some sort of privilege that means they could not get a government loan, and free tuition now means they can go to university, i would reverse my position. until then, in the presence of a fair government loan (no interest until graduation, income based repayment), my position is free tuition is amazing but it helps students that don't really need help and ignores ones that do.

To your first point: decouple property taxes from school funding. Unfortunately even the most woke progressive often balks at that idea.

To your second point: that happens more frequently than you'd think. Many students I worked with didn't qualify for financial aid, but could have used it. Yes, this may not help the students that need it most, but to your first point, those kids are most likely going to underfunded secondary schools and often times are woefully unprepared for college level courses, which means more resources spent on them to catch them up the first two years, or they fail out, which doesn't really do them any good anyways.

FyreWulff

given that i took out a government loan that i've been slowly paying back, and that anyone else in the middle class could easily do what i did without obstacles (if their government provided such a loan program), free tuition is something i always have a hard time getting behind.

"my grandad ate shit, my dad ate shit, i had to eat shit, and now you should have to"

Kwhit10

It's a great program to have but if you're living on campus you'll still be paying close to 60k over 4 years. People who can live at home and attend their local state University can really benefit and graduate with basically no debt.

I'm not diminishing the value of this but when university costs are mostly room and board things like this make good headlines but wont help. As much as people think when everyone wants the college experience of living on campus.

It makes it so that the state isn't spending money for kids to get educated and go to another state. The state is serving it's own interests, and justifiably so. Many state funded scholarships/grants (not just in NY) will require recipients to stay in their respective states for at least a couple of years. The state has to make a return on it's investment somehow. Imagine you got paid by your job to get some specialized training and you immediately left for a competitor.

Yeah there are shitty situations but there has to be some checks and balances here for it to be somewhat sustainable.

Yes, it makes sense. However, what NY state also needs to do is have separate property taxes for up state. They are insane with people having to pay 5 grand or so a year for an acre of land or less. Gotta give the working people an incitive to want to put down roots in the area.

hollomat

Banned
Bill needs some adjustments. I'd consider a family making $100k in NYC middle class while I'd consider a family making $100k in rural NY much higher than middle class.

This bill is treating income as equal regardless of where in NY you live which is not the case at all.

Hopefully the tuition is capped at 4 years as well.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I hope that there is no age limitation for this, that'd be discriminative and in my opinion a vile act towards those who would be largely contributing towards the footing of the bill. Also to echo what some have said earlier, everyone should have access to a quality and afforable/free education just that the wealthier among us pays a larger portion of taxes. If the only thing you have to do repay your tuition is to stay in the state for the number of years you attended college then so be it. It's not a hard pill to swallow. It's better than graduating, not having a job and having to pay your debt back. Hopefully they have systems in place that monitor the number of years you've stayed in NY after graduation so even if you move before the completion of your 4th year you aren't necessarily screwed; you pay the the remainder of your term if you leave the state. I really wish things like this were around when I first started attending college. This funding can't be applied to graduate studies and is capped at 5 years (because we all fuck up when first starting school).

If graduates also have to contribute towards this, as they will, something has to be done for their accrued debt. They shouldn't be expected to pay for someone else's child if they have no children of their own and not see any type of benefit while still paying for their own college attendance. If we just deviated money from military spending we could readily solve this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom