• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen Gaming Sound System Thread

I got a few questions myself and some are more software based which I feel are just as important. I hope you don't mind OP.:

Here's how my room is setup just to give more context:
1. Est. 15'x10' in size.
2. TV and Laptop are placed perpendicular to one another and not really possible to have it setup otherwise.

Setup:
1. This room is freaking small. Is it worth trying to build a surround-sound setup for it?
If no, answer my other questions anyway :)
2. Since the TV/Laptop are perpendicular, could I create a sound environment that would accomodate for both?
3. Speakers take up a lot of space. For my room, would it be better to simply get a great 2.1 setup and hold-off on surround sound which probably would suffer due to my room size?
4. TV does not have Audio-Out, only headphones. What effect would this have on my TV viewing (no cable here so cable box output not an option)

Software-side:
1. If I wanted to play music off my laptop, would typical-old mp3s be enhanced in a surround-sound environment or are they limited to stereo?
2. Do you surround-sound guys buy those SACDs/DVD-As? Basically is the difference worth it?
3. Laptops have shitty sound cards in most cases so would that be another reason to hold off till I could get better PC hardware?

Other:
1. Per GAF recommendation, I got a pair of Sennheiser in-earbud headphones. My brother told me don't equalize WinAMP as since the headphones are already equalized, I could damage them in the process.
2. Are in-earbuds OK for ears as I don't want to be one of those guys who starts getting bad hearing by 30?

Schlep

I've got a Denon AVR-3802 (DD, DD EX, DTS, DTS ES, DPL 2). I only have it set up for 5.1 since there's really no place to put any rear speakers.

For speakers, I'm a big fan of Definitive Tech. I've got the Pro Cinema 100 with a C2 center which I think has been replaced by the ProCinema 800. I like the Def Tech/Denon combination, as it gives a real full sound despite the speakers being satellites. Listening to the water splashing in Cast Away is what sold me. They're also pretty damn good for music, but obviously inferior to a good set of towers, or my favorite, bipolar towers with subs built in.

My setup (360 now in place of the PS2)

Flo_Evans

EphemeralDream said:
I got a few questions myself and some are more software based which I feel are just as important. I hope you don't mind OP.:

Here's how my room is setup just to give more context:
1. Est. 15'x10' in size.
2. TV and Laptop are placed perpendicular to one another and not really possible to have it setup otherwise.

Setup:
1. This room is freaking small. Is it worth trying to build a surround-sound setup for it?
If no, answer my other questions anyway :)
2. Since the TV/Laptop are perpendicular, could I create a sound environment that would accomodate for both?
3. Speakers take up a lot of space. For my room, would it be better to simply get a great 2.1 setup and hold-off on surround sound which probably would suffer due to my room size?
4. TV does not have Audio-Out, only headphones. What effect would this have on my TV viewing (no cable here so cable box output not an option)

Software-side:
1. If I wanted to play music off my laptop, would typical-old mp3s be enhanced in a surround-sound environment or are they limited to stereo?
2. Do you surround-sound guys buy those SACDs/DVD-As? Basically is the difference worth it?
3. Laptops have shitty sound cards in most cases so would that be another reason to hold off till I could get better PC hardware?

Other:
1. Per GAF recommendation, I got a pair of Sennheiser in-earbud headphones. My brother told me don't equalize WinAMP as since the headphones are already equalized, I could damage them in the process.
2. Are in-earbuds OK for ears as I don't want to be one of those guys who starts getting bad hearing by 30?

If I am going to listen to music I just turn on the main fronts and the sub. My reciever has a mode where a takes a stereo signal and somehow makes up the rear and center channel. It works ok for TV shows or movies that are lame old stereo, but it makes music sound realy weird. I am sure you could get some winamp plugin that does the same thing but I wouldn't recomend it unless you are really baked :p

Top Bottom