• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Got to say, starting to feel a bit vindicated :)
df has been very meh/cautious on next gen tflops. i dont think they know anything you dont. they are team 8-9 tflops at the moment, but they seem to have no clue about CUs and overall tflops.

i wouldnt put too much stock in them.

MadAnon

On the contrary the rumours for Prospero (providing it is to be taken seriously) push it easily over 10TF mark.

Except it doesn't suggest anything like that. "Biggest computational leap of any generation" is a bullshit impossible thing in itself. I guess you are not familiar with the kind of leaps before to understand how stupid that quote is. Maybe it means absolute number and not relative in which case a 4 teraflop increase can even be called the biggest computional leap ever. Or the quote is some misunderstanding.

Last edited:

Racer!

df has been very meh/cautious on next gen tflops. i dont think they know anything you dont. they are team 8-9 tflops at the moment, but they seem to have no clue about CUs and overall tflops.

I have to agree with you.

Though, they are going to look pretty stupid and clueless if this doesnt turn out to be true. So, Im a little puzzled by that. They`ve got to have some trusted inside sources, or their credibility is down the toilet.

bitbydeath

Except it doesn't suggest anything like that. "Biggest computational leap of any generation" is a bullshit impossible thing in itself. I guess you are not familiar with the kind of leaps before to understand how stupid that quote is. Maybe it means absolute number and not relative in which case a 4 teraflop increase can even be called the biggest computional leap ever. Or the quote is some misunderstanding.

Pretty much all credible rumours have placed it in the 12TF range. Where there’s smoke.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah. I estimate the PS5 dev kit being no more than a inch wider/taller but being possibly 5/6 inches deeper. A big increase in foot print.

Comparing the two pictures I don’t think the PS5 one is taller. But I’m sure there’s gonna be people out there to compare the pictures to extrapolate the rough size dimensions.

But looking at that unit, it screams high clocks. At least for “prototype 1”.

Tarkus98

I don't. There never was a FCC filing for the Pro. The PS4 dev kit has millimetre dimensions on the FCC file and it is 370mm (14.5 inch) wide X 225mm (8.8 inch!) deep 118mm high (4.7 inch)
Not really relevant but for comparison sakes the retail Pro is 11.6” W x 2.2” H x 12.9” D which is pretty deep actually.
Will be interesting to see if they retain this design or a sleeker version for the retail PS5. This is a rather unique design for a dev kit which are usually just big boxes.

Hbm is way more power efficient plus faster than Gddr6, it also takes less space on the silicon. It only downside is being "currently " more expensive than Gddr6.

It might be the reason that PS5 supposedly have smaller silicon yet more powerful than Scarlett.

HBM can be a great choice for a system memory. That's why you find it on the most expensive and top of the line GPUs offered by AMD or Nvidia.
The other downsides to HBM is that it's currently difficult to manufacture which is why it's expensive. Not only that it makes it slow to manufacture resulting in a low output. HBM 3 fixes these issues so unless Samsung announces mass production on HBM 3 soon don't count on it being in the PS5.

demigod

I have to agree with you.

Though, they are going to look pretty stupid and clueless if this doesnt turn out to be true. So, Im a little puzzled by that. They`ve got to have some trusted inside sources, or their credibility is down the toilet.

They are stupid and clueless. They were team 8TF......pre Navi announcement.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I was curious about Sony's PS4 Neo Dev Kits(specs and markings like "Confidenial", "Prototype", etc) so I was researching and came across Sony's NEO overview and best practices .pdf that had a bunch of cool info if anybody wants to let their inner autist out for a bit...
-PDF link-

Last edited:

Mass Shift

They dropped it because PS5 seems stronger than they thought. No point in having two models weaker than PS5.

PS5 didn't have anything to do with that. And it's looking like Lockhart was canceled long before it's demise was leaked to us.

It's clear that the XCloud came along better than they expected and became the base/entry facilitator that MS wanted Lockhart to be. And if you can have a non-physical platform act as your entry hub to your eco system, AND keep developers from neglecting your premium gaming devices's higher specifications......... well you'd be way ahead of the game.

It could just as easily be solved by taking the X1X and open full XCloud capability to it as well. No need to invest in a new piece of silicon in that scenario either.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
PS4 -5000
7850 + i5 - 4704
7870 + i5 - 5486
For just under 5000 overall score you can have either FX-4300+7870 or FX 6300+R7 265. FX-4300+R7 265 was running TW3 at 1440p/higher than PS4 settings/~27fps Novigrad. It wasn't until I got into DOOM that I moved up to FX-6300. So 3yrs. after PS4 released, and even still that combo would beat the PS4 in most games as the number of games with Async support like DOOM were few and far between.

pawel86ck

Banned
For just under 5000 overall score you can have either FX-4300+7870 or FX 6300+R7 265. FX-4300+R7 265 was running TW3 at 1440p/higher than PS4 settings/~27fps Novigrad. It wasn't until I got into DOOM that I moved up to FX-6300. So 3yrs. after PS4 released, and even still that combo would beat the PS4 in most games as the number of games with Async support like DOOM were few and far between.
But PS4 5000 firestrike score really make sense, because it's almost right in the middle between 7850, and 7870. So to my surprise it looks like PS4 windows drivers were optimised well enough and it should be also the case with PS5 gonzalo score.

With leaked 500$ price on top of that I just cant see PS5 reaching 12TF barier anymore, but more like 9TF (Gonzalo score equivalent). That's also probably why resetera user who explained his PS5 tech demo impressions implied people should not base ther expectations on hardware specs because they will be disappointed.

I know hope dies last, but I dont want to lie myself anymore. The war is over, my 12TF team has no chance to win 🥺😭😭

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
pawel86ck pawel86ck

I believe the OQA PCB and Komachi "Navi 10 Lite" leaks, so "big" Navi capable of 12TF doesn't seem likely to me.

I should clarify, FS isn't necessarily representative of actual game performance. Look at the RX 5700 BIOS flash to 5700 XT article on TPU. The 5700 with OC is right up on a 5700 XT stock. Look how they tear the Vega 64 into shreds!

CwFYVzf.png

Last edited:

bitbydeath

That's also probably why resetera user who explained his PS5 tech demo impressions implied people should not base ther expectations on hardware specs because they will be disappointed.

Kleegamefan has already said they’re both more powerful than 9.2TF.

Panda1

Banned
Corrected a few for you.

Cheers!! Did not realize it was 4 years after launch I think I was thinking of the initial reveal. So November 7th 2017 + 4 years = 22Nov 2021. And we know the next launches will be Xmas 2020 - so about 1 year less = so maybe less TF.

Reactions: TLZ

Fake

Gold Member
Kleegamefan has already said they’re both more powerful than 9.2TF.
To be honest, in his post he say:
You can choose to believe me or not, I don't care.....I'm not in the gaming industry any more so....
Is this means he not a par with the difference between GCN and RDNA TF?

Last edited:

MadAnon

Couple posts down someone asks and he confirms RDNA.
Talk is cheap. More often than not these journos end up just making shit up. As someone who fallows NBA I take the info from guys like Klee with a huge grain of salt. Does he even have any track record of leaks?

Last edited:

MadAnon

IMO the problem its he with that particular post create a double standart. I mean... 'I don't care, but actually I care.'
Yeah, and for some reason in one instance he points to it having over 11 TF navi GPU but later he says the GPU will seem dissapointing to many. Seems like just covering both bases.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
pawel86ck pawel86ck

I believe the OQA PCB and Komachi "Navi 10 Lite" leaks, so "big" Navi capable of 12TF doesn't seem likely to me.

I should clarify, FS isn't necessarily representative of actual game performance. Look at the RX 5700 BIOS flash to 5700 XT article on TPU. The 5700 with OC is right up on a 5700 XT stock. Look how they tear the Vega 64 into shreds!

CwFYVzf.png
I know, compared to current consoles RX5700 is still big improvement, because before Navi launch the most optimistic scenario was vega64 like performance and it looks like we will get it. With HW RT on top of that and 500$ price point we should be happy I guess 🤔😀.

12TF team good luck in your last struggles before the end, it was a pleasure fighting along your side for so many months😀. Thanks to our captain SonGoku the morale was high, but now even he is no longer with us 😭😔. We still have one general left, but I bet even Negotiatior himself started doubting 12TF dream at this point. So it's official, I'm abandoning the sinking ship before it's too late.

S7lGvf7.png

Last edited:

Dane

As it has been told, there's no exact value on real world in TFs, the Vegas had bigger TFlops than 1080 and 1080 Ti (including the Navis) and yet it didn't come close on parity.

Had the new consoles been using Vega, they could achieve the 12-14tf, but again, it would been basically the equivalent of a 9TF Navi/GeForce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom