• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

McHuj

Uh...why would Sony (or Microsoft for that matter) go back to a split memory pool? Didn't they already see how horrible that was for devs with PS3 and how unified memory gave 360 and PS4 the advantage?

That Reddit stuff looks like someone who wants to throw together an exotic architecture but doesn't know how system architectures work.

Devs already have to deal with a split memory pool when doing PC ports. The split memory pool isn't as big of an issue when your memory pools are in the multi-gigabyte sizes. When you have a 10MB/32MB little buffer that must be managed on a per frame basis in the GPU, that sucks. When you have 8+ GB to play with, it's just maybe an inconvenience. The above rumor would make the PS5 basically look like a normal PC with 16GB RAM and a 8GB video card.

Although I think if you do see a split memory pool, it will more likely be split along OS/Game. I would say give 4GB LPDDR for OS, you don't really need anything more than that and you could make it very low power in standby mode, and 16GB of HBM for the games.

LordOfChaos

Even if the devkit isn't what the retail ps5 looks like I have a feeling there will be some sort of V shape on the system.

I'm cool with this. Maybe it's not so indented, but still has the overall shape. Reminds me of

Xbox-Console-Flat-Top.jpg

Heckin chonker now, but I do respect the brand being part of the design, if they lean heavily into V for 5. Also if the whole V houses heatsinks, that's pretty metal.

Fake

Gold Member
PCB leak indicated actual dev kit SOC for PS5 dev kits in May.

V shaped dev kit was confirmed to be in 3rd party hands in July (Codemasters) so I think its probably Navi. There would not be SOC in actual dev kits that are not PC based.
We're already in the final devkits at this point I guess.

Aceofspades

Banned
Agreed.

I'm sticking to #TeamGDDR6.

Besides, DDR4 tech will be dead in a few years due to DDR5. Why invest on it? MS did the same mistake with DDR3 (because it was cheaper back in 2012-2013, but not anymore), while Sony put a bet on GDDR5 and it paid out handsomely.

Hbm is way more power efficient plus faster than Gddr6, it also takes less space on the silicon. It only downside is being "currently " more expensive than Gddr6.

It might be the reason that PS5 supposedly have smaller silicon yet more powerful than Scarlett.

HBM can be a great choice for a system memory. That's why you find it on the most expensive and top of the line GPUs offered by AMD or Nvidia.

Fake

Gold Member
HBM is ratter new tech and expensive. At this point we can sure is GDDR6 based of some devs saying Scarlet and PS5 being identical. Unless one of them want to create the base Xbox One sittuation all over again.

FranXico

Uh...why would Sony (or Microsoft for that matter) go back to a split memory pool? Didn't they already see how horrible that was for devs with PS3 and how unified memory gave 360 and PS4 the advantage?

That Reddit stuff looks like someone who wants to throw together an exotic architecture but doesn't know how system architectures work.
It looks like a rehashed very old "leak". I could swear I read that "Sony got an amazing deal" quote before.

Mass Shift

Hbm is way more power efficient plus faster than Gddr6, it also takes less space on the silicon. It only downside is being "currently " more expensive than Gddr6.

It might be the reason that PS5 supposedly have smaller silicon yet more powerful than Scarlett.

HBM can be a great choice for a system memory. That's why you find it on the most expensive and top of the line GPUs offered by AMD or Nvidia.

I wouldn't begin to set myself up with that kind of disappointment.

HBM ain't gonna happen bro.

Mr.XtremeGamer

Neo Member
This is a very old rumor. One of the first ones we've read. Why's it popping up again?
Remember that when the Vega VII launched, 16 GB of Hbm2 stacked memory cost $150 without the interposer, with the interposer it was $160ish. Its prices will drop as production ramps up. If sony has a good enough relationship with the companies that make Hbm memory currently, then they can definitely snatch some really great deals with those companies and buy the whole package at a cheaper price. Hbm2 although unconfirmed to be part of the apu package and a little bit outrageous when price is concerned, sounds plausible. 8GB of Hbm2 will cost less than $70 by the time the ps5 arrives, since it's bound to be replaced by Hbm2E by that time. So it's a possibility that the ps5 might be using hbm2 but at this point it's uncertain. We'll learn more and more about the specs of each console as the leaks pile up closer to the release of the 9th gen consoles. For now, have a good one lads!!!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Remember that when the Vega VII launched, 16 GB of Hbm2 stacked memory cost $150 without the interposer, with the interposer it was $160ish. Its prices will drop as production ramps up. If sony has a good enough relationship with the companies that make Hbm memory currently, then they can definitely snatch some really great deals with those companies and buy the whole package at a cheaper price. Hbm2 although unconfirmed to be part of the apu package and a little bit outrageous when price is concerned, sounds plausible. 8GB of Hbm2 will cost less than $70 by the time the ps5 arrives, since it's bound to be replaced by Hbm2E by that time. So it's a possibility that the ps5 might be using hbm2 but at this point it's uncertain. We'll learn more and more about the specs of each console as the leaks pile up closer to the release of the 9th gen consoles. For now, have a good one lads!!!
i thought it was $350?

160 for $8gb.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Have we already dissected this one? Reeee insider said, "Playstation 5 is supposedly slightly more powerful than the Xbox Scarlet." (Cued up to the relevant bit )

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

What do we know of Prospero again?

Nothing new. It just confirms a project name (like Orbis for PS4) for PS5. Only this time Sony already confirmed PS5 so it didn't matter!

My biggest question about all this PS5 info and code names etc isn't for PlayStation, it's wondering why we have nothing equivalent outside 'Arden' for Scarlett. No dev kit info or other APU leaks.

Reactions: TLZ

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
According to DF, Prospero is the PS5 codename. PS5 Fire Strike overall score = 20K+.

My biggest question about all this PS5 info and code names etc isn't for PlayStation, it's wondering why we have nothing equivalent outside 'Arden' for Scarlett. No dev kit info or other APU leaks.
The only good leaks have been from data miners. Everything else has been confused "insiders" telling old wives' tales. Sony is testing on 3DMark like they did for PS4/Pro, while MS is likely on PIX Profile tool like Scorpio. Just my guess.

bitbydeath

This leak I posted a while back.

Next-gen going to be lit.

One thing was clear: the future consoles will have the “greatest compute jump in any console,” they said.

Anyone know how much the previous holder was so we can calculate a base power level?

Last edited:

R600

Banned
This leak I posted a while back.

Next-gen going to be lit.

Anyone know how much the previous holder was so we can calculate a base power level?
No way it will be biggest yet. PS2 to HD gen was easy 10x accross the board + heavy arch improvements (higher then before). Also, shader 3.0 > RT.

In any case, similar jump would be 16 core Zen + ~ 20TF Navi. Not getting that obviously...

bitbydeath

No way it will be biggest yet. PS2 to HD gen was easy 10x accross the board + heavy arch improvements (higher then before). Also, shader 3.0 > RT.

In any case, similar jump would be 16 core Zen + ~ 20TF Navi. Not getting that obviously...

Well, that’d explain why MS dropped the budget model.:messenger_grinning_smiling:

R600

Banned
Not really. Full RT with zero rasterization will be a similar jump.

We only need 2 Petaflops for that...
Well obviously. But it all points to relatively puny RT support in next gen (and probably one after that) while Shader 3.0 with PS3 and 360 was full fledged upgrade.

In general I think programmable shaders where bigger jump then anything RT can provide, especially visual quality vs perf.

We can get close to rendering extremely realistic graphics even without RT, but with Shader 2.0 hardware we where nowhere near what Shader 3.0 could provide.

Well obviously. But it all points to relatively puny RT support in next gen (and probably one after that) while Shader 3.0 with PS3 and 360 was full fledged upgrade.

In general I think programmable shaders where bigger jump then anything RT can provide, especially visual quality vs perf.

We can get close to rendering extremely realistic graphics even without RT, but with Shader 2.0 hardware we where nowhere near what Shader 3.0 could provide.
PCs have had programmable shaders ever since GeForce 3 came out (2001), but it was only 5 years after (PS360 dev baseline) when we saw widespread support of pixel shaders in AAA games.

It's funny how few people realize this in the PC gaming scene. PCs almost always have a hardware headstart, but it means nothing if it doesn't get exploited. And now we see people mocking unreleased consoles for catching up with NVMe SSDs.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I don't actually think it is much or any wider/taller than the PS4 Pro dev kit but I do think it is notably deeper at least based on the patent drawings.
Do you happen to know the dimensions on that? I'm getting 3.4" x 10.1" for this PS5 kit, but I'm not good at this shit. Paging Proelite Proelite
*edit* Using the disc drive width was a much better idea...
OK, so the prototype should be around 35x35x12 cm.
~4.7" H x ~13.7" W

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned

I have seen YT Half life 2 gameplay on geforce 3

dx 7 mode around 80-90fps
dx 8 (shaders) 20-30fps

So obviously shaders were very demanding too. Yet xbox console was using shaders with extremely good results.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

The hype is real. Your move Microsoft. Split out some info.

It will be interesting if they do start finally talking at XO19. After the Wired article dropped in April the Brad Sams daily Scarlett news stopped and at E3 they were much more vague than expected (said to be a blow out and going big) and of course Lockhart was no more. Since then complete silence....

Fake

Gold Member
It will be interesting if they do start finally talking at XO19. After the Wired article dropped in April the Brad Sams daily Scarlett news stopped and at E3 they were much more vague than expected (said to be a blow out and going big) and of course Lockhart was no more. Since then complete silence....
People think I hyped only about PS5, but what I expect is Microsoft info as well because if they're really similar like many devs are confirming we can guess/figure out specs from each other.
IMO this is the best part of next gen, if you ignore some trolls/fake insiders/salt tweets. From a IT myself I just love those infos coming at least.
And I agree with you, dunno if Microsoft is really stop leaking or just doing their homework of not letting anything pass.

MadAnon

Data miners proving to be reliable. Looks like 40CUs max. Now we only need to know the final clock. If Oberon's 2ghz is the retail clock then we breach 10TF but I have my doubts about such an insane clock in retail unit.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Data miners proving to be reliable. Looks like 40CUs max. Now we only need to know the final clock. If Oberon's 2ghz is the retail clock then we breach 10TF but I have my doubts about such an insane clock in retail unit.

On the contrary the rumours for Prospero (providing it is to be taken seriously) push it easily over 10TF mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom