• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

leizzra

Please don't attempt to spread that Vape-gate shxt here brother. There's enough conspiracies I'm 2020🤦🏾‍♂️

It is not my intention to make a conspiracy or spread FUD here. I came across this and as this is in polish not many people will hear about that (at least for now). Maybe there will be english subtitles added soon so everyone can understand it. For now I'm writing what there is (I'm from Poland). If the guy is lying MS can take legal action against him so I think he is serious. No one is talking that it's another RROD of something like that. But it may be real and people should think twice before they talk s**t about someone or send him a threats. Also it's the first time I see something like this so I'd like to know that my new XSX won't do the same.

Imtjnotu

Yall wanna see something fun

20201113-091954.jpg

20201113-092043.jpg

20201113-092008.jpg

Dolomite

It is not my intention to make a conspiracy or spread FUD here. I came across this and as this is in polish not many people will hear about that (at least for now). Maybe there will be english subtitles added soon so everyone can understand it. For now I'm writing what there is (I'm from Poland). If the guy is lying MS can take legal action against him so I think he is serious. No one is talking that it's another RROD of something like that. But it may be real and people should think twice before they talk s**t about someone or send him a threats. Also it's the first time I see something like this so I'd like to know that my new XSX won't do the same.
Yeah it's been debunked a few times buddy. Didn't mean to personally attack you. There's a chance that this could be real, as launch consoles are a gamble, but I'd remain cautious, since the big smoking video from a few days ago was already debunked. Happy gaming!

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah it's been debunked a few times buddy. Didn't mean to personally attack you. There's a chance that this could be real, as launch consoles are a gamble, but I'd remain cautious, since the big smoking video from a few days ago was already debunked. Happy gaming!
The Polish video was never debunked... the opposite even the Polish Xbox support get in touch with the guy.

Samsung does not release individual sales numbers.. what you linked to is them releasing numbers for a bunch of phones combined... competitors would have to guess which of their half dozen 5g devices represents those sales... and they do that on purpose, as they have plenty to brag about, but want to obscure numbers.

I like how you think I'm the one who has the nerve touched here lol... why in the world do you care about Xbox sales? I don't. I didn't even say anything about why Microsoft in particular doesn't share numbers.. I just contradicted a totally false statement, because.. it's false.
Sure man what ever make you happy.

kyliethicc

It’s really not much more than the PS3. The PS3 actually weighs more. Took this with my telephoto so you don’t get all the wide angle warping..

qUpuBMt.jpg
considering how much more powerful PS5 is, the larger size makes sense.

Really makes me think the PS4 was just too small, hence why it got so loud.

Every Playstation got bigger except the 4, and it turned into a jet engine.

rvZf0x5.jpg

Donarudo

Was skipping through the Digital Foundry PS5 launch stream and happened to stumble upon John's explanation about his "PS5 surprises" comment. Basically, when he made that comment he didn't know the PS5 BC video was already uploaded, and great BC performance was one of the surprises he was referring to. The other surprise is the PS5's performance compared to the XSX in third party games like DMC5 SE.
So, nothing crazy. No more surprises. Hopefully that ends the crazy speculations.

There is no use thinking of TF in two different architectures. PS5 has modifications to improve the effectiveness of the caches and with this the CUs are able to remain less waiting, it also has a single CCX CPU that shares cache, it is the cause that 120 fps is more stable on PS5 even having less MHz.

Then you have deeper layers of the APIs and geometry engine that are technically superior to anything currently in control.

But the biggest problem is that 14/16 CU per array shaders and split memory don't work well without a lot of optimization work, but a lot of work. 10/8 CU by shaders array without split memory is easier to optimize, of course it can always be improved but of course there is less CU waiting from minute1. At the same hours of work, they yield more than 10 CU per array shaders, which is also the maximum configuration that AMD has put in both RDNA1 and RDNA2 GPUs.

What we are seeing is how some unified caches, some caches with correctors to improve the HIT and a powerful IO to improve VRAM management, you get to push above the 10.28 TFLOPs that we know together with a great job from Sony's ICE Team in the creation of APIs.

I think @BGs already said long ago that the SX would be a disappointment in that sense when you already have it at home. I think you deserve an apology p

I hope people have learned about this extra marketing stunt and are not getting carried away with it. MS knows perfectly well that 14 / 16CU per shader array would not be effective except for mathematical operations or minning and much less without a great control over caches.

I'm glad because I hope that the community learns from this, and I hope that MS also learns to stop doing that toxic marketing that they have been doing all this time. Since in the end it has been proven that their hardware decisions were based on marketing and not knowledge.

After 4000 pages of FUD and calling ourselves crazy who defended the architecture of PS5 we can finally sleep with our heads held high where our hardware knowledge and knowing that we have exposed all those who threw stones at us.
But will this benefit them in the long-run when it comes to a DLSS like implementation? I know that's being worked on. Same can be said for Sony I'm sure. Granted the ML is not apart of the GPU in the same way as Series X from what I understand. Something, something, geometry engine? I dunno. Anyway, this gen is gonna be something to look forward to.

FIFA 21 was the first game in the series to start at number one on the US sales chart

mitchman

Gold Member
You aren't going to get a 1:1 comparison on this because most studios that make the xbox exclusive titles aren't exclusive to xbox. There is NO chance of determining that the PS5 is significantly faster in any SSD metric compared to the xbox in this case. And I seriously doubt that a 3rd party would waste the time trying to code for every platform (including the PC).
3rd party games will come around and implement the new APIs soon, and I wouldn't be surprised if AC:V also does this in an update. In the crunch towards release, it was not prioritized and I totally understand that. I expect 2021 cross platform games to handle the new APIs just fine, particularly since at least Sony seems to have a API-compatible disk access api on PS4 too now, making it must easier to code once, run both on PS4 and PS5 with optimized disk access.

Lynyrd

Neo Member
Was skipping through the Digital Foundry PS5 launch stream and happened to stumble upon John's explanation about his "PS5 surprises" comment. Basically, when he made that comment he didn't know the PS5 BC video was already uploaded, and great BC performance was one of the surprises he was referring to. The other surprise is the PS5's performance compared to the XSX in third party games like DMC5 SE.
So, nothing crazy. No more surprises. Hopefully that ends the crazy speculations.

He said on today's stream that the upcoming AC: Valhalla comparison, the PS5 is doing slightly better than XSX

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
Talk about kicking a man when he’s down. There will be a PS5 in my home on the 28th, only it won’t be mine. My wife managed to get one for herself on Walmart’s fourth and final round. I went as far as being 10 minutes late to all my meetings trying to snag one. No luck. I get to watch her play...

We´ll have only 1, i can´t wait to put 250h+ on Demon Souls but my GF wants to play Crash Nsane badly so idk if i can play DS all that much :/

Ptarmiganx2

We´ll have only 1, i can´t wait to put 250h+ on Demon Souls but my GF wants to play Crash Nsane badly so idk if i can play DS all that much :/

I got her hooked on the PS3 with split screen Resident Evil 4. From then on we had to buy two of each console. I’m going to start with Demon Souls as well (when I get one). My wife is a 6‘ viking chick born in Norway. She had the ultimate edition of a certain game ordered the minute it was announced. I will let you guess which one that was.

Last edited:

Ptarmiganx2

I find it funny how some people think Days Gone was an average game and now it's great because of a patch.....The truth is, Days gone was a great game with a few performance issues at launch, it's just better now because of the perf increase......It was always a great looking title with awesome and addictive gameplay.....To many people, Days Gone was GOTY in 2019....
Preaching to the choir. It was my GOTY! The only game I liked more was Horizon. Robot dinosaurs...and those graphics!

You mean the endless insistence that SSD would be a huge difference between the two consoles ( when its not)? I don't think anyone was endlessly insisting anything like you suggest. specifically talking about bullshit as the baseline.

Again, a 1 frame difference. some added tearing, with zero visual difference from the higher quality videos. I still need to see more proof of which held the higher resolution but even still for a dynamic resolution game it doesn't matter much. What I think is happening is you want an argument win so bad there isn't any gap where you won't cheerlead. congrats I guess? we still do not know how optimal these games are ( they typically haven't been ). Actually I know some people at Ubisoft, I can ask them about it to see what they think.
Actually the SSD is already a big difference. Basically, the promise of the PS5's SSD and I/O configuration is not simply how your Mortal Kombat match loads so quickly. When you have storage that fast it means you can have more and higher quality assets sitting in RAM for the GPU to draw without worrying about needing to have "cold" assets sitting in RAM. In the Digital Foundry interview with Bluepoint, the developers mentioned the ability to stream in blocks of data as soon as the player rounds the corner. They also offhanded mentioned 4 gigs per second of compressed data. There are probably some areas where that number is even higher. Again, in doing so, the details of any given scene can be cranked up. Sony is hitting two birds with one stone here. First off, alleviating RAM constraints by being able to stream in data so quickly. Second, have games look better by letting the GPU draw more assets in higher fidelity. Don't let a launch game from a third-party cross-gen title to give you an idea of what PS5 is capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom