• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSfox

Man i cannot wait for ACV DF review

Also i'm really excited for the game now, i had some doubts cause Odyssey sucked too bad and the first look of the game wasn't too promising, but from what i've seen now it looks quite good, still some bugs (should fixed) but overall it seems closer to AC BF/Origins than Odyssey in terms of game quality.

HoofHearted

feels good to be right :messenger_grimmacing_

now talking about the new pipeline, yes, the new pipeline is going to revolutionary. But i will reiterate. The strategy to always release the same XBOX game on PC is going to make this transition much more difficult. Developers will need to observe how fast customers migrate to the new GPU architecture so that they can focus on the new pipeline. i predict UE5 is the savior of XSX. ironically a lot of green camp fans talked a ton of crap about Tim Sweeney.

Interesting/agreed.. it certainly looks like there are (expected) limitations in play on "current" cross-gen titles now being released.

The "true" differences between these platforms won't be realized for quite some time (or at least until optimizations can be updated to take full advantage of the newer hardware/architecture).

It'll be interesting to see if (or when) additional patches/updates on a game like AC:Valhalla end up addressing and mitigating these minor differences on how the game is rendered.

oldergamer

After the endless insistence from XBox fans that the XSX will be far in advance of the Ps5? I’d say it’s a huge deal for everyone enthusiastic about gaming, who had to put up with that bullshit, wouldn’t you?
You mean the endless insistence that SSD would be a huge difference between the two consoles ( when its not)? I don't think anyone was endlessly insisting anything like you suggest. specifically talking about bullshit as the baseline.

Again, a 1 frame difference. some added tearing, with zero visual difference from the higher quality videos. I still need to see more proof of which held the higher resolution but even still for a dynamic resolution game it doesn't matter much. What I think is happening is you want an argument win so bad there isn't any gap where you won't cheerlead. congrats I guess? we still do not know how optimal these games are ( they typically haven't been ). Actually I know some people at Ubisoft, I can ask them about it to see what they think.

kyliethicc

just a few funny ones I remembered

RIP XFIGHTER BOXLOVER
You asked for gameplay, here is gameplay. The XSX is still more powerful than the PS5, which will be clear once the 3rd party games roll out.

Sony is gearing up to weather a PR shitstorm once the PS5 actually ends up in people's hands. I wouldn't be so confident that they are going to stay competitive. I know people don't want to hear this but it is becoming harder to deny as the launch date approaches.

Guy just stop this sillyness of "PS5 will do better in DF head to head". GPU wise it won't. Simple as that. Maybe same quality textures, same RT quality, but resolution will tend to be higher on XSX. Accept it, the sooner you accept this the less it will hurt your feelings.

HoofHearted

This doesn't make sense in terms of the number of CUs other RDNA 2 Chips have, or the simple addition of more CUs due to the die shift from last gen. The desktop part takes up more space on the die due to huge cache, but should be otherwise similar.

The post is referring to how it took quite a bit of time for developers to adjust to Ampere when it was originally introduced in order to take full advantage of the new architecture. There were significant improvements over the course of 1-2 years beyond the initial launch/wave of games released shortly after Ampere was released.

Essentially the same thing is now happening with RDNA2/AMD.

kyliethicc

The post is referring to how it took quite a bit of time for developers to adjust to Ampere when it was originally introduced in order to take full advantage of the new architecture. There were significant improvements over the course of 1-2 years beyond the initial launch/wave of games released shortly after Ampere was released.

ampere cards are like weeks old? what?

TDLR; In RT mode, XSX (and PS5 by settings equivalence) slightly less than 2060 super.

edit: looking at the comments above, someone has probably posted this video, but I can't see it cause I probably have them ignored.

Is funny how Alex forget this title is optimized for the RTX GPUs, I mean was part since many time ago of the NVIDIA marketing,
because yes even if RDNA2 can do raytracing that doesn't mean works exactly in the same way so for Ubisoft the console
version for this RT implementation was not the priority.

Also in case you are asking the delta in real world between 2060 super vs 2070 is minimum but if he says that is not good for the
polemic.

This guy I am sure will sell his mother if in that way the bring honor to the PC master race.

Andodalf

Banned

It's very tough to say something like that right now. We don't know anything about how desktop RDNA 2 performs right now. A lot is being assumed.

Shmunter

Yeah I would like to know this also. Battlefield squad voice comes through controller speaker looked all over and couldn't find a setting to change it.
Man they really need to work on audio routing flexibility. Input/output detached. I want to set Hdmi as headphones? let me. I want to output comms through Hdmi, let me. I want to input comms via whatever, do it. Just open the shit up.

jose4gg

Yes, they totally are committing financial crimes.. because console wars.

Yea, they are definitely not lying, but I can see something like selling 100 more consoles than before and using the "more consoles sold than in previous generations", and it isn't a crime.

I think they started this generation very well and selling very well, but those comments can't be compared to anything basically.

Montauk

acv-ps5vsxsxvsxss.png

AnotherWaryBarasingha-max-1mb.gif

EDIT: There is also screen tearing on XSX, see the red markers.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Is funny how Alex forget this title is optimized for the RTX GPUs, I mean was part since many time ago of the NVIDIA marketing,
because yes even if RDNA2 can do raytracing that doesn't mean works exactly in the same way so for Ubisoft the console
version for this RT implementation was not the priority.

Also in case you are asking the delta in real world between 2060 super vs 2070 is minimum but if he says that is not good for the
polemic.

This guy I am sure will sell his mother if in that way the bring honor to the PC master race.

XSX is using the DXR API from directx12. So its agnostic to the hardware used. If it was closer to the metal, I would agree with you, that it would be missing out on performance.

Yes, they totally are committing financial crimes.. because console wars.
But Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem has a point every time a company feels proud of its result show numbers examples:

Nintendo: games sales
Xbox: Gamepass users ... well at least before the last report when they again hide the number
Playstation: PS4 sales

Also we have to remember the beginning of each gen of xbox to see to what they are comparing:

-Xbox: was the new company in the market so is not like any should expect a big number
-Xbox 360: this is the interesting gen which we need to compare
-Xbox one: well was a very hard launch in bad way
-Xbox one X: this thing sell a shit and they know it

XSX is using the DXR API from directx12. So its agnostic to the hardware used. If it was closer to the metal, I would agree with you, that it would be missing out on performance.

Use an API doesn't mean you make any optimization in a low level and if you ever dev something you should know it.

The API of NVIDIA exists and NVIDIA was part of the "looks how our RTX 3000 looks" is not like the put DLSS in this title but not in
Assassins Creed because they hate one franchise.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

It's very tough to say something like that right now. We don't know anything about how desktop RDNA 2 performs right now. A lot is being assumed.

Agreed - there's early indications of benchmarks, etc., however, this new architecture is too new to the market to fully expect that games are going to run in a full optimized end-state.

As just posted - I was originally referring to lessons learned when 2080/Ti Turing was released. Apologies.

Sinthor

Gold Member
After playing the PS5 most of the day yesterday, the main two terms I can use to describe games like Miles and especially Demon's Souls are "atmosphere" and "immersion". To me, that sums up what games made for the PS5 will bring to the table. Not only do both games look amazing, but the use of the tempest engine and massively improved lighting techniques just make everything sit in the world better and feel very cohesive, instead of looking like games we're used to. The audio in Demon's Souls is especially impressive, because you can just let your character sit there, and you're able to hear sounds all around you in the environment. It really makes you feel like you're more in the game.

The haptics in Astro are super impressive. After playing that game for a while, I do feel like it begins to be a bit over the top, but playing it for shorter periods of time and experiencing all of the different types of vibrations is really cool. The one thing that impressed me initially was just letting Astro sit in the water at the beginning of cooling springs, and somehow they made the vibration actually simulate what it feels like to be in water and be moving with the motion of the waves. The adaptive triggers are cool as well, and are surprisingly strong. The haptics in Demon's Souls are less intense, but are implemented in cool ways. You feel more of a generic type rumble in combat, but there are random things you don't expect like feeling the vibrations from huge chains while going up or down an elevator. It simulates what I could imagine actually standing on the elevator would be like, and feeling the friction of the chains.

The console itself is whisper quiet, just like everyone else has reported it to be. Even after playing 6-8 hours yesterday, I literally never heard the fan once. I was able to use the controller and headphones the entire time, and not have to recharge either one of them. Sony really knocked it out of the park with the PS5. Every single game I played was smooth, and I never had a single performance issue.

I have to agree with this. The audio is AMAZING. The haptic...are going to be a big deal this generation. They are fantastic as well. Hell, I finished the first section of Astro last night with it's four sub areas and I will mostly likely play the whole thing! I see what you mean with the haptics being almost TOO much in Astro but....that's what that game is for; showing off the haptics and cool stuff. Demon's souls is just WOW and Godfallis shaping up to be very enjoyable so far. I haven't gotten to install Spider Man yet, but that's for today.

The console is VERY quiet. In fact it's so quiet that when my room was quiet at night and I was installing Demons Souls I was thinking "what the hell is that noise?" and it turned out to be the BD drive spinning while the install was happening. That is a normal level of sound but everything else was so quiet that I actually noticed it.

The only issue I've had is that weird problem that SEEMS related to having an external drive connected. First I tried to run No Many's Sky (PS4 version) off the external last night. It went to a black screen and wouldn't let me do anything. So I powered the PS5 off and back on and it came back but said my drive needed to be repaired. Did that and all was well.

This morning I had my headset on but had been doing some web searches and when I launched Demon's Souls there was no audio. So I went to the switcher and closed the app.....said it was closing and stayed there for 5+ minutes. Couldn't do anything. Power switch on front of PS5 wouldn't power the unit off so I had to unplug it. Turned it back on and it gave me the message that my external drive hadn't been shut down properly and needed repair. Did the repair and after the progress bar ended for the repair....black screen. Can't do anything. So after giving it about 5 minutes again, I tried the power switch on front of the PS5. That worked! Powered back on and all was well like nothing ever happened.

So...definitely some issues. I think it's the external drive. That seems to be the commonality with what some people have reported with the PS5 in "rest" mode with the external connected. Last night I left the PS5 in "rest" overnight to charge my controllers...no issue there. So I don't think those other issues are really related to rest mode...I think it's the external drive which is the other common factor between what I've seen reported online and what I've had happen. If I get another issue like that, I'm going to disconnect the external drive till they fix things with a patch and I'll just play all these PS5 games I have instead!

Overall though, the PS5 is amazing. The graphics and speed aside..this thing FEELS like a huge leap forward. The OS is really different from the PS4 and much better. I like all the features so far and I get the feeling they had to leave a lot out for stability's sake at launch. So there will be a lot of updates for the OS coming in the near future.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Stay safe and healthy!

Sinthor

Gold Member
It’s not a financial crime because they give no numbers and that means that they get to interpret numbers in way that makes them look the best without committing any crime.
Ugh... This whole thing is just silly. Bottom line it's fine for MS to say XSX is the "most powerful." They can point to the TF number which, even if it isn't the fast in REAL WORLD applications, is still valid for a marketing statement.

Sony could be touting the "worlds fastest" console based on the GPU clock speed or the SSD drive specs. Even if the Xbox somehow outperformed the PS5 in those areas that would still be valid for them as well because of the numbers.

But bottom line, these consoles are DAMN close to each other in performance. We may see areas where one or the other has a significant advantage in certain things...or we may not. They are both great advances for gamers. I have to say though that while the XSX feels like an XB1X on steroids (which is not a bad thing at all!) the PS5 does really feel like something different. It feels more like a true "next generation" type of device, performance, etc., aside.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
But Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem has a point every time a company feels proud of its result show numbers examples:

Gaming companies have always been all over the map with what data they choose to release; and it can have just as much to do with who is currently an executive as it can whether they are "proud" of the numbers.

And as far as "companies" in general; also all over the map.. Samsung for instance famously has never released unit sales of smartphones, despite being an obvious leader in that industry globally (by a decent margin too.) Lots and lots of industries are secretive about individual sales numbers.

The data is for investors, not consumers anyways.. the focus on these numbers on gaming forums is more often than not some pathetic fanboy crap.

Playstation is likely to dominate Xbox because it's.. far more popular... the end.

Last edited:

Garani

I said 12.1 as thats the TF of the XSX, my theory is that if the TF of the XSX was known as 12.1 and people/devs saw that the PS5 was 18% more performant at some tests then they might assume it was 14.2TF based on that which is inline with old rumours.
Well, I maybe see it differently. I take the 10.23TF number as correct, but because of optimization we have a +18%, which inflates the number to 12.07 TF for the PS5.

TL;DR: we are shitting numbers without any fucking meaning and Athena will kick our asses for adding apples and oranges. It's all bullshit anyway :D

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Oh give me a break.. how can you "interpret" how many consoles are sold? lol
Well, to be fair, in the past MS has reported consoles SHIPPED to stores, etc. as "sold." They aren't the only company to do this and it's considered a valid method even though it obviously doesn't state how many are TRULY sold and in users hands.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Oh give me a break.. how can you "interpret" how many consoles are sold? lol

Their three points:

1 - easy, shipped vs sold through
2 - lie by default, it can’t possibly be adding more new players than the original Xbox. And considering 360 completely dwarfed the OG Xbox, this smells like some funky interpretation.
3 - Uh... because of BC and digital libraries?

Good old MS pr.

Zheph

Demon's Souls Review slowly popping up boys, oh sweet days

THE:MILKMAN

PR smelling bull.

Series S adding new players to Xbox than any previous Xbox consoles.

C’mon MS is not even hiding the lie.

It is PR of course (all do it) and in this case it is true because they shipped to 37 countries simultaneously so naturally needed far more units day one!

THE:MILKMAN

Xbox has a big userbase... they are trying to say Series X being more new players (that never had a Xbox before) to Xbox than any Xbox console before.

Bull.

Original Xbox all sales where new to Xbox.
This time not.

Sure they are milking it with some points in Nibel's Tweet but on the part about 'more consoles sold in previous gens' it is by virtue of the logistics of releasing everywhere at the same time and not because there is more demand increasing sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom