• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToadMan

So the TMU method of ray-tracing was a hybrid approach? Didn’t even know that, I thought that’s how RDNA 2’s RT approach worked even after seeing them talk about the Ray Accelerator.

But the Series X has a Ray Accelerator as well, so why is it switching between texture operations and ray operations every clock cycle?

1w1b26w.jpg

Its not necessarily the case Xsex is doing something different to RDNA 2 on PC.

Just that the AMD presentation slides had a block diagram and the ray accelerator unit seemed to be entirely separate from the TMUs and anything else.

Could be something, could be nothing.

That AMD slide could just have been a “logical” diagram but the underlying silicon is co-located with the TMUs.

I personally think AMD might have developed a hybrid solution for consoles because they had to freeze a solution last year and that’s what was in the white paper. Their actual RDNA2 PC GPUs has had more time and could take a more robust approach to compete with nVidia.

Last edited:
Okay, I tested the 3d audio in Astro using my “good” headphone by turning the option on and off. It’s hard to describe in words, With 3d on, the sound is closer to you. the positioning of the sound sources seems more real. But the difference is subtle to my music trained ears. I doubt average consumer will tell the difference easily. To me, I still prefer a pair of good speaker unless you have those crazy expensive headset.

I think the feature is a bit over hyped. At least not as obvious a upgrade as dual sense.

Imtjnotu

Okay, I tested the 3d audio in Astro using my “good” headphone by turning the option on and off. It’s hard to describe in words, With 3d on, the sound is closer to you. the positioning of the sound sources seems more real. But the difference is subtle to my music trained ears. I doubt average consumer will tell the difference easily. To me, I still prefer a pair of good speaker unless you have those crazy expensive headset.

I think the feature is a bit over hyped. At least not as obvious a upgrade as dual sense.
Where in ASTRO did you test the 3d audio

ToadMan

Isn't XSX playing it in BC mode as well? I mean it's not like XSX is playing an XSX version of warzone because that ain't out yet!

The Xbox executables seem to be built with platform specific emulation code so they can patch the Xsex code without affecting the xbone performance. In fact in this case I think 120hz is a system option on Xsex and the game just offers that option through to the user.

PS just has a single patch system - unlock the frames on PS5 to get 120 and the PS4 version would be patched to be unlocked as well. On PS4 that would make the frame rate less stable than it already is. Actually the way this would work is they include a 120hz option in the menus - but this wouldn’t be supported on PS4 and there’s no code level way to inhibit that on just PS4.

So if they want to patch just the PS5 version and leave the PS4 version stable, they’ll have to create a new standalone PS5
Version and they didn’t do that .... yet.

It’s not about machine capbility - the PS5 version will have a 120hz mode in time.

Last edited:
hmmm, just noticed this

5zyhLut.jpg

Error or not?

edit: this is from ps5 store

edit 2: pretty sure it is the same mistake. This is what it looks like after explore now. (Canadian price)

pZF1YvM.jpg

Last edited:

Md Ray

Same thing for Benji sales. He had to stop playing the game because of the screen-tearing. It's funny. I remember all those guys were proudly saying they were all going to play on the most powerful console in the world their 3rd party games, only because they naively believed a marketing and FUD compaign directed by Spencer and co.
This is so true.

Yes. And parhless, too. I don’t think this category should include MM, DS or Sackboy. But maybe Sony is telling me something
Well, if they release more games on PC that wouldn't surprise but I just can't see them releasing their games on the competition's console so that makes me think the disclamer is meant for the timed exclusives inside that category.

Infinity Ward hasn't made any comments about it but Rocket League is in this same situation and we have this quote from one of the developers that may explain why there isn't a patch for Warzone:

Basically you need to make a port rather than just a simple patch.
So a simple patch gets 30 FPS to 60fps in games like days gone, ghost of Tsushima but it isn’t possible in warzone for 60 to 120fps, whaaat

After playing several games on both the Series X and the PS5 today I traded my Series X to a little birdie friend for another PS5.

The PS5 controller is truly next gen stuff and I am slowly replacing all my systems with the PS5.

Series X, while a great machine, just doesnt do it for me between Quick resume being a complete mess and just not having the games I want to play.

I will still be hanging out in here because some cool stuff coming at The Game Awards and really enjoy talking to some of the guys here.
John from DF had the same complaint. Quick resume is simply not reliable and he doesn't use it. It was the same thing on XB1 with their suspend and resume feature. Too buggy.

Seems to me their quick resume (like suspend / resume on XB1) is just there to check that PR box, but it simply doesn't work. Overpromise, underdeliver seems to be the mantra of MS this gen all around.

While on the other hand suspend / resume and activities on PS5 are perfectly working as intended.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Do we know why PS5 never got a patch for 120fps option for Warzone meanwhile XSX got it? Thoughts?

It locks the frequencies.

Technically the PS5 has three GPU performance profiles:

• Gen2 mode - Fully unlocks the Navi GPU at 2GHz for next-gen games
  • Gen1 mode - Downscales the GPU to 911MHz, 218GB/sec bandwidth, and 64 ROPs to emulate the PS4 Pro
  • Gen0 mode - Drops the GPU to 800MHz with 176GB/sec bandwidth and 32 ROPs to emulate the base PS4

kyliethicc

So a simple patch gets 30 FPS to 60fps in games like days gone, ghost of Tsushima but it isn’t possible in warzone for 60 to 120fps, whaaat
its not simple for any game. Ghost was likely made to have 60 FPS on PS5 from day 1, and Days Gone 60 patch could have taken months of work for all we know.

Infinity Ward and Psyonix can patch their games to hit 120 on PS5, it just comes down to if they want to. Its just a question of if the time and money they'd need to spend is worth the result.

10/10 the chances of you hitting her fat arse with a harpoon!

I saw the rainbow warrior glide in right up next to her while she was taking a dip in the sea.

What is it with people liking WOMEN that have brontosaurus arses?

She looks like next gen to me!

Like next gen WWE 2k21 character that I would made, because I like to make mutant looking bastard. Her stage name could be "wide load".

What a weird looking woman, looks like she injected something to turn her ass/lower part 10x wider than it should be

2020, year when my WWE mutants became reality :messenger_grimmacing_

If you see 2.5m tall bald muscular blue-grey dude wearing only white underwear, run!

ToadMan

Those are first party game san s ghost was already built with the PS5 compat. option because it released after the Somy deadline for that requirement.

So yeah - it’s that simple.

BGs

Industry Professional
Remember that, although 3D Audio works with any headset, at the moment there are only a few headphones that are designed exclusively for the PS5 3D Audio. The Pulse 3D.

Only by removing the pads you will be able to realize that the orientation of the speaker is different than usual. It is with them that it should be assessed whether you like 3D Audio or not. Therefore it is also very important to choose the hearing profiles well. And if you like it then it is advisable to send the photo of your ear to Sony to get more accurate profiles. You can do this with the mobile App if you want.

BTW, earbuds are not valid.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Remember that, although 3D Audio works with any headset, at the moment there are only a few headphones that are designed exclusively for the PS5 3D Audio. The Pulse 3D.

Only by removing the pads you will be able to realize that the orientation of the speaker is different than usual. It is with them that it should be assessed whether you like 3D Audio or not. Therefore it is also very important to choose the hearing profiles well. And if you like it then it is advisable to send the photo of your ear to Sony to get more accurate profiles. You can do this with the mobile App if you want.

What do you mean by removing the pads? Edit: you mean by looking at the speaker arrangement of the Pulse 3D speakers themselves that can only be seen by removing the speaker pads right?

Also, why would earbuds not be valid? Is it because they have not optimised them yet? I am a bit surprised they do not have headphones or earbuds with a cheap six axis accelerometer and gyro combo. Good spatial audio taking your head movements into account would be even better.

Look at the surround audio feature Apple added for the AirPod Pro (which have something the Pulse 3D headphones do not have to be fair: built in accelerometer [and gyro? Need to check that one]). Full disclosure I did order and receive the Pulse 3D headset.

Last edited:

timmyp53

Is ear profiling via ear scans a thing in the app? Or is that still down the line?

Reactions: BGs
Dude do you people hide the context and let the fud to spread? Lucy James from gamespot who did this video says at the very start of the video that they used the same save data to play the game which will have the both versions look identical in time of day. She even mentions there's a caveat and that you may see different clouds or no clouds due to it because of the dynamic nature of the game.
Damn calm down man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom