• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchman

Gold Member
What? DF say it themselves: their test rig for GPU benchmarking is a 10900K. They work out of an office and are part of Eurogamer, and do lots of GPU benchmarking.
I'm pretty sure Richard is the only working out of a UK office now (covid), the rest are spread out and has been in the past too, with the possible exception of 1 or 2. Not many work out of offices these days.

kyliethicc

I'm pretty sure Richard is the only working out of a UK office now (covid), the rest are spread out and has been in the past too, with the possible exception of 1 or 2. Not many work out of offices these days.
So? They still use their benchmarking rig with a 10900K and were clearly too lazy to swap it out for a Zen2 CPU to test cards vs PS5.

And they themselves say that even when using the most powerful gaming CPU they can, it doesn't entirely eliminate any potential CPU bottlenecking, nor would the PS5's weaker CPU. And thus everything I have said on this matter stands.

Garani

Lol, the die shot of Xbox Apu looks extremely similar to Rdna1 gpu. Maybe kitty is right, Series X is bolted on with Rdna1 CUs with DX12U features.
Seriously, who knows? We would need either an official statement or an indepth research with the 6800+ps5+xsx side by side by someone that know his/her stuff. That automatically pushes me out of the expert field :)

Shmunter

So? They still use their benchmarking rig with a 10900K and were clearly too lazy to swap it out for a Zen2 CPU to test cards vs PS5.

And they themselves say that even when using the most powerful gaming CPU they can, it doesn't entirely eliminate any potential CPU bottlenecking, nor would the PS5's weaker CPU. And thus everything I have said on this matter stands.
Common, it’s embarrassing as it is already. The little big box that could!

Konami still own Kojima Productions as well.. the first one lol.

Issue with buying "Kojima Productions" is there's more than 1 and buying the name doesn't mean the man himself won't leave and go found another KojiPro somewhere else. And he owns no IPs or tech. Konami and Sony own all Kojima's IPs and engines.
I think this applies to all companies.
Sony can buy Bluepoint but depending on the contract the people there can go the fuck out anytime they want, the only thing Sony would own is the "space" of the company.
I guess MS would buy Kojima Production only in the case they can strike a deal with the important people there, to make sure they stay there at least for the next years. But I don't believe Kojima would accept in general, he didn't quit from Konami just to be owned by another corporation as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Interesting. We'll have to see how it comes together. Not big on MMORPGs, but this one looks interesting.

no wonder it gave me god of war vibes in the soundtrack, it's composed by Chris Velasco who was one of 4 composers who worked on God of War franchise (Gerard Marino, Mike Reagan, Chris Velasco and one more person that I always seem to forget)

Considering the average delta in 60fps is smaller than the 120fps one, it could be considered a tie. But once again, we've been hearing about those 2 extra TFs and higher memory bandwidth on chart, 'the most powerful console ever' and how XSX would perform better since March, so even a tie could be considered a win for PS5.
That's the point.
It's not an hardware win (sometimes it is), it's about the concept.
Marketing is marketing, it will do everything to make a product shine, you would say marketing IS forcing reality. 12 TF are true, now just need to make them the proof of superior hardware, that's it.
Xbox had three things to market for the launch: power, old games enhanced and Gamepass. With "Xbox had" I mean that they could convince people that they have it, doesn't mean they actually have it. So from a marketing standpoint, they had "power", and the magic worked. Not only a lot of people are convinced Series X is the super-charged product of the two, they think the difference is BIG. This really show the strenght of their communication in this regard because while you could believe Series X was somewhat better, to believe that the gap was big it means really falling for the number/slang narrative perpetrated for one entire year. I personally saw people saying that Series X is so much superior to PS5 over and over.
And after all that, PS5 being on par or even lead the competition is a "win", mostly a win between people who battled for two boxes than a win for Sony, who would have won regardless and by far due to other factors.

Last edited:

Shmunter

That's the point.
It's not an hardware win (sometimes it is), it's about the concept.
Marketing is marketing, it will do everything to make a product shine, you would say marketing IS forcing reality. 12 TF are true, now just need to make them the proof of superior hardware, that's it.
Xbox had three things to market for the launch: power, old games enhanced and Gamepass. With "Xbox had" I mean that they could convince people that they have it, doesn't mean they actually have it. So from a marketing standpoint, they had "power", and the magic worked. Not only a lot of people are convinced Series X is the super-charged product of the two, they think the difference is BIG. This really show the strenght of their communication in this regard because while you could believe Series X was somewhat better, to believe that the gap was big it means really falling for the number/slang narrative perpetrated for one entire year. I personally saw people saying that Series X is so much superior to PS5 over and over.
And after all that, PS5 being on par or even lead the competition is a "win", mostly a win between people who battled for two boxes than a win for Sony, who would have won regardless and by far due to other factors.
Only some forum goers and Twitterati have been saying anything like that. Devs and connected insiders have been singing quite a different tune all along.

Only some forum goers and Twitterati have been saying anything like that. Devs and connected insiders have been singing quite a different tune all along.
Most "normal people" were convinced. Devs and connected insiders are 0,000001% of the pool. If you find a trend on a forum, rest assured you will find 10x those numbers on socials like Facebook.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Most "normal people" were convinced. Devs and connected insiders are 0,000001% of the pool. If you find a trend on a forum, rest assured you will find 10x those numbers on socials like Facebook.
Ehh most normals don't even know what the XSX is. They just know the PS4 and Switch are popular. They see a few ads/memes. Like my parents had no idea about the new Xboxes, but they saw a few PS5 ads on TV. But they know nothing about it, just the name and its existence.

And causals don't actually care about specs, tittyflops, etc.. they just care about the big games, the price, and their friends.

Ehh most normals don't even know what the XSX is. They just know the PS4 and Switch are popular. They see a few ads/memes. Like my parents had no idea about the new Xboxes, but they saw a few PS5 ads on TV. But they know nothing about it, just the name and its existence.

And causals don't actually care about specs, tittyflops, etc.. they just care about the big games, the price, and their friends.
Yes, and no.
Let's just say there are many "levels" of interest, not just harcore and casuals. Maybe hardcore are too... hardcore, to be convinced, and casuals too casuals to be interested. But in the middle of that, MS marketing surely convinced some people that Series X is the monster console and PS5 is underwelming. I'm seeing this in the comments of italians websites and FB pages, and Italy is a country where PS is strong and Xbox is weak. For sure it isn't the only case in the world.
Don't want to pass that there are tons of people everywhere believing this and that, so my bad. But for me there was (and likely there is) a consistent number of people who believed MS. Not big, but big enough to shows that the power of ads is stronger than the power of Series X.

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

Yup, honestly I knew PS5 was light years ahead in terms of mind share when it became a caption meme thingy on Twitter, like those "me or PS5" or "let me buy a PS5" and all you can see is tiddys and azz. That trend was huge and is still going on.

Yes, and no.
But in the middle of that, MS marketing surely convinced some people that Series X is the monster console and PS5 is underwelming.

Look at the numbers for the PS5 reveal versus the Xbox. I have to completely disagree with you here. The majority don't even know what a TF is. They know the name xbox (maybe not even series S|X), and the know the name PlayStation but also PS5. That's it.

Why else is SNL making parady songs about wanting a PS5 for Christmas, but not Xbox?

Last edited:

FrankWza

But in the middle of that, MS marketing surely convinced some people that Series X is the monster console and PS5 is underwelming. I'm seeing this in the comments of italians websites and FB pages, and Italy is a country where PS is strong and Xbox is weak. For sure it isn't the only case in the world.

It was like this in the U.S. I think if they broke down preorders and first run buyers the majority of x buyers will be from a younger demographic. That was what I saw and experienced first hand from whatever I read or whoever I talked to. I don’t know if they’re regretting it now, but that was the narrative for most of 2020. These recent comparisons can’t help that. Msoft had an opportunity and dropped the ball.

Look at the numbers for the PS5 reveal versus the Xbox. I have to completely disagree with you here. The majority don't even know what a TF is. They know the name xbox (maybe not even series S|X), and the know the name PlayStation but also PS5. That's it.

Why else is SNL making parady songs about wanting a PS5 for Christmas, but not Xbox?
The fact that PS5 is far more popular is a partial point. I just don't agree that the power narrative was only between fake insiders and some hardcore forums. It isn't THAT limited unfortunately.

Shio

The 2nd part of that quote is interesting....

I always thought it was odd that when RDNA 2 was announced, some ppl kept banging on about the PS5 being a 5700, 5700XT equivalent.

That gpu maxes out at 1440p. I dont even think it can be overclocked as high as a PS5. I agree with those saying the 5700 to gauge PS5 performance was a flawed test when it was done. RDNA 1, RDNA 2 came so fast.....I remember many of us being blindsided when RDNA 1 was announced in a AMD stream thread.

I even asked a few months ago, now that we know RDNA 2 is a thing....why not shelf the RDNA 1 gpu comparisons and wait for an RDNA 2 gpu? Of course some didnt due to a certain narrative, but I thought those that do tech related articles would.
Isn't Xbox supposed to reveal something today?
tools?

LucidFlux

Their PC build/cpu wasn't even brought up as having any possible influence on the comparison. They should have absolutely taken the time and done their due diligence to go all the way with their test. Hell, they even compared the results with two possible cloud configuration settings just in case there were any potential differences so I don't understand why they didn't actually match the CPU with a 3700x to see if that had any effect.

Even if was only a 1-2 fps difference or none at all due to the game most likely being GPU limited, it doesn't make sense to go so far in the comparison to only stop short of addressing any potential cpu influence.

Vagos48

It's called advertising. Sony paid for this SNL sketch, obviously.

The fact that PS5 is far more popular is a partial point. I just don't agree that the power narrative was only between fake insiders and some hardcore forums. It isn't THAT limited unfortunately.

I think it is that limited. Because if it isn't, and has spread outside those circles, it would reflect in the sales of the consoles. It's early days, but it's looking like the PS5 will increase it's lead over Xbox from the previous gen. This clearly wouldn't be the case if what you are saying was reality.

ethomaz

Banned
I was yesterday talking with my brother about videogames while drinking some beers because I had found a Nintendo Switch (3 months old, new with plastics yet, fully functional, a bargain for the price... the guy was selling because he lose his job and had to make some extra until find another one) to my cousin to buy to his 7 years old son.
What my brother said:

- Nintendo made a big mistake with Switch, there is no games, or good games. They are just the better graphics, PS5 is where you can find all the games even being less powerful than Nintendo Switch.

I laughed and explained to him and explained all the situation... in terms of graphics and hardware where each one sits and why Nintendo is having of the best selling consoles with Switch.

But that is not my point... it is just to know who the power thing is not really a thing between general consumers and definitively not a selling point.

Last edited:
I think it is that limited. Because if it isn't, and has spread outside those circles, it would reflect in the sales of the consoles. It's early days, but it's looking like the PS5 will increase it's lead over Xbox from the previous gen. This clearly wouldn't be the case if what you are saying was reality.
I'm literally seeing this outside of forums. Literally.
And the only data we can have is Series X vs One. Power narrative will not change the fact that PS4 is a better baseline than One so the gap from PS5 and Series X wil increase since last gen. Series X would have not sold any better even if it actually was that much more powerful.
But again, it's useless to debate, I'm seeing what I'm saying in FB groups and youtube channels that are not even Xbox related.

Last edited:
Power narrative will not change the fact that PS4 is a better baseline than One so the gap from PS5 and Series X wil increase since last gen. Series X would have not sold any better even if it actually was that much more powerful.

If more and more people believe the PS5 is noticeably under powered compared to Series X, why would this not have an impact on sales of the X compared to the PS5. Why would the gap widen rather than reduce? If more and more people are discussing the power narrative, why aren't more jumping ship? Why would more appear to move from Microsoft to Sony?

Zadom

I'm not an xbox fan lol
Kyliethicc, is this you?

lOLuJXK.jpg

If more and more people believe the PS5 is noticeably under powered compared to Series X, why would this not have an impact on sales of the X compared to the PS5. Why would the gap widen rather than reduce? If more and more people are discussing the power narrative, why aren't more jumping ship? Why would more appear to move from Microsoft to Sony?
Because there is a difference between saying:
OMG just everyone is screaming about how Series X is more powerful

And

Hey, it's not just on some specific platform, this argument is in different places also.

There are middle grounds in discussions, not just A or B.

Last edited:

LiquidRex

Cyberpunk 2077 a next generation game, built on current generation hardware. 🤦‍♂️

I guess all those 100 million+ console owners was just too tempting to pass up. $$$ 🤔 🤷‍♂️

Because there is a difference between saying:
OMG just everyone is screaming about how Series X is more powerful

And

Hey, it's not just on some specific platform, this argument is in different places also.

There are middle grounds in discussions, not just A or B.

Sure. But your original premise was Microsoft marketing was successful in convincing an unspecified number of people that a) the Xbox SX is a monster and b) the PS5 is significantly under powered.

Given the direction the sales are going, with the gap between PlayStation and Xbox widening, either ... they weren't actually that successful, or if they were, it's not something people care about.

Since it's fiction and not news related is illegal for a TV program to refer to intellectual property of others without consent. Also its illegal to advertise without payment. So either SNL would take a huge risk of being sued , or they did the other thing and earn some money instead. Not a fact , but a good bet.

Satire is protected speech in the United States.

Zheph

Cyberpunk 2077 a next generation game, built on current generation hardware. 🤦‍♂️

I guess all those 100 million+ console owners was just too tempting to pass up. $$$ 🤔 🤷‍♂️
They announced it at the beginning of PS4/One gen, would have been harsh for the players to make it next gen only imo (but probably better for the game yes)

I saw a little bit of PS5 BC footage and it looks decent, its gonna be really hard to not buy it soon, hoping for some quick details on the next gen upgrades

LiquidRex

They announced it at the beginning of PS4/One gen, would have been harsh for the players to make it next gen only imo (but probably better for the game yes)

I saw a little bit of PS5 BC footage and it looks decent, its gonna be really hard to not buy it soon, hoping for some quick details on the next gen upgrades
From what I've seen and heard thus far... Terrible Texture pop in, and heavy reduction in population density compared to what was originally promised amongst other things...
I understand there's a big day one patch, but I just can't see a patch no matter how big making Cyberpunk 2077 look like how they originally envisioned. 🤷‍♂️

SkankHunt420

Neo Member

Im pretty sure Sony pay for those, just like they paid for rick and morty to do a sketch for them. What blows my mind is how much marketing ps5 is pushing, they know they are the best sellers, but still wont let down their guard, i love it!

Sure. But your original premise was Microsoft marketing was successful in convincing an unspecified number of people that a) the Xbox SX is a monster and b) the PS5 is significantly under powered.

Given the direction the sales are going, with the gap between PlayStation and Xbox widening, either ... they weren't actually that successful, or if they were, it's not something people care about.
Not exactly, I was saying that every time PS5 is at least on par with Series X is seen as a win because of the image Series X tried to construct. Not that such image is very extended, simply that actually there is one, because is not only some die-hard fan on Twitter or NeoGAF warriors shit.

SkankHunt420

Neo Member
From what I've seen and heard thus far... Terrible Texture pop in, and heavy reduction in population density compared to what was originally promised amongst other things...
I understand there's a big day one patch, but I just can't see a patch no matter how big making Cyberpunk 2077 look like how they originally envisioned. 🤷‍♂️
As i said before, sadly this year the only proper place to play cp2077 is PC

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

CDPR ambition is too great for the feasibility of the actual project, it was the case with Witcher 3 as well. It also explains all the delays as well, the studio needs significantly better management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom