• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewChoppa

Banned
Not sure if anyone noticed, but the tentative release window that Sony gave for GT7 changed in one of their recent ads.

Instead of it coming in the first half of next year, it's simply "in development for PlayStation".

Neua3Z7.png

PD and delaying GT, name a better duo

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Not sure if anyone noticed, but the tentative release window that Sony gave for GT7 changed in one of their recent ads.

Instead of it coming in the first half of next year, it's simply "in development for PlayStation".

Neua3Z7.png

Heh.. just saw this ad last night on TV. Of course it wasn't updated yet, but I remember thinking "GT7 first half 2021 huh?"

CDPR ambition is too great for the feasibility of the actual project, it was the case with Witcher 3 as well. It also explains all the delays as well, the studio needs significantly better management.

Witcher 3 is game of the generation and made them a boatload of money, I don't see what they would need any changes in management.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Witcher 3 is game of the generation and made them a boatload of money, I don't see what they would need any changes in management.
It's been delayed 3 times now and the studio is already getting shitloads of heat for it's crunching.

HoofHearted

If more and more people believe the PS5 is noticeably under powered compared to Series X, why would this not have an impact on sales of the X compared to the PS5. Why would the gap widen rather than reduce? If more and more people are discussing the power narrative, why aren't more jumping ship? Why would more appear to move from Microsoft to Sony?

Because for the broader general public - they don't really care or buy into the "moar power" discussions? Other than here and the various console warriors you see on reddit/YT - it's just not really a thing...

The majority of people buy consoles based on popularity, looks, and what's "cool" to own - typical FOMO - Sega proved this with their campaign targeting teen+ generation in the Nintendo/Sega "warz"..

If the game is not CPU bound, there is no reason to believe this will influence the results in any meaningful way.

This is true, but without access to the game dev's profiling tools it's impossible to know if the game is actually CPU bound on the PS5 in the comparison, as if it is, you're no longer comparing the PS5 GPU with PC counterparts and your test results are invalid.

Equally, on the PC side, if you testing a GPU significantly faster than the PS5 GPU, if you select a CPU close to the PS5 CPU in performance, you also run the risk of the weaker CPU bottlenecking your GPU on the PC build; and so also invalidating the comparison results.

Fundamentally, I just don't think these PC comparisons are meaningful, because you can't really ever do a like-for-like comparison while ensuring you're able to eliminate ALL extraneous factors that can influence the results.

I also question the purpose of the tests. As I see it, being able to identify whether a console version of the game runs with "high" or "high-high" quality presets for the graphical features, benefits no-one besides insecure PCMR gamers looking to wave their dicks in the air and feel better about spending 3-4x the amount for their gaming hardware.

At least the console platform H2H's offer meaningful value to multiplatform owners trying to decide which platform to buy a game on. PC gamers will always buy on PC regardless, making any such comparisons with PC redundant.

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
CyberPunk 2077 reviews seem to be getting generally favourable reviews although I don't trust CDPR, I can already imagine the game being unstable and buggy as hell on previous-gen consoles like PS4 and Xbox One.

Witcher 3 is still my favourite game of all time so I want see what CDPR has cooked up, I'll wait for the next gen patch to come out which will hopefully be sometime early next year and hopefully the game will be much more stable and also look much better on next-gen consoles. I recommend others to do the same especially if your in two minds about the game.

Reviews are all over the place. It’s got a 90 from IGN and a 70 from Gamespot.. Think I’m gonna pass. Game looks like it’s gonna be the classic case of all flash and little substance.
Looks the bugs are one of the main problem for this title but still much better than many other titles is just not a masterpiece.

MastaKiiLA

Reviews are all over the place. It’s got a 90 from IGN and a 70 from Gamespot.. Think I’m gonna pass. Game looks like it’s gonna be the classic case of all flash and little substance.
Some reviews aren't ignoring the bugs, which are very apparent in all playthrough videos. The story elements sound like they're good though.

Grinchy

Banned
I just don't feel like buying the, "We barely flopped this out onto retail shelves after struggling to get this running on last-gen toaster CPUs" version.

The "next-gen update" will benefit PC too IMO. I can wait until they're actually finished with the development.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Nadella on What Sets Xbox Series X|S Apart from PS5; Wants 3 Billion Gamers to Play Their Games, Anywhere and With Anyone

“What is being done to set Xbox apart from the PS 5 to win the console war?”, Microsoft’s Head of Investor Relations, Mike Spencer, asked Nadella.

“First thing, we're very excited about the new console launches in the market”, Nadella said. “We always have sort of focused on ensuring that our gamer community that counts on us to produce the best consoles has a new generation of consoles, which are powerful and really great for gameplay. And we are supporting it with the best content with the best community.”

But the broader vision we have is to ensure that the 3 billion gamers out there are able to play their games, anywhere they want with all the content they want and with whom they want to. And that's really what we are building our strategy around. You've seen us double our content portfolio with ZeniMax acquisition, you see us make advances in our community efforts and our subscription offers with Game Pass. And that's what you can expect from us. We are absolutely very, very much focused on gaming, and ensuring that all the 3 billion gamers around the world get the best content, best community and the best cloud services to power their gaming experiences going forward

🤔

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nadella on What Sets Xbox Series X|S Apart from PS5; Wants 3 Billion Gamers to Play Their Games, Anywhere and With Anyone

“What is being done to set Xbox apart from the PS 5 to win the console war?”, Microsoft’s Head of Investor Relations, Mike Spencer, asked Nadella.

🤔
if he wants those 3 billion gamers, he should be making mobile games which Microsoft does not make.

He is clearly clueless like most MS execs. The console market is roughly 100-150 million users. Thats been true since the PS1 days. Nintendo brings in a bunch of new people every now and then but they arent gamers and do not buy games.

Rachel playing candy crush on her iphone while slacking off at work is not someone who gives a shit if MS bought Bethesda or not. This is delusional at best.

kyliethicc

Neua3Z7.png

It'll come out in October - December time like most GT games do. Fucking delays..

I wonder if its cause of Polyphony (yes) or also a sign that Sony are pushing other games back too (God of War 2) and need a fall release?

And, why bother putting out lots of 1sf party games in the spring of 2021 if they can't even supply enough PS5s to meet demand until next fall?

Last edited:

ToadMan

I thought assassin's creed had marketing deal with xbox. Isn't it funny they used it for ps5? I wonder if they know it performs best on ps5?!

I think the deal with MS was for pre launch marketing but I’m not sure.

But I did assume SNL had approached Ubi for a little product placement incentive...

I don’t know, maybe not.

Tmack

I was yesterday talking with my brother about videogames while drinking some beers because I had found a Nintendo Switch (3 months old, new with plastics yet, fully functional, a bargain for the price... the guy was selling because he lose his job and had to make some extra until find another one) to my cousin to buy to his 7 years old son.
What my brother said:

- Nintendo made a big mistake with Switch, there is no games, or good games. They are just the better graphics, PS5 is where you can find all the games even being less powerful than Nintendo Switch.

I laughed and explained to him and explained all the situation... in terms of graphics and hardware where each one sits and why Nintendo is having of the best selling consoles with Switch.

But that is not my point... it is just to know who the power thing is not really a thing between general consumers and definitively not a selling point.

Mario Odyssey is such a masterpiece that it`s worth getting a switch just to play it.

And TBH i don`t feel like using the switch as portable, that screen is just terrible and make games looks horrible.

ethomaz

Banned
The game is really great.

But there are too many bugs... so it is rushed to fit the new deadline... that means some Reviewers are ignoring the bugs and giving 90+ scores while others are focusing in the bugs and giving 70- scores.

Of course there are others reviewers talking only about trans lol

ethomaz

Banned
Mario Odyssey is such a masterpiece that it`s worth getting a switch just to play it.

And TBH i don`t feel like using the switch as portable, that screen is just terrible and make games looks horrible.
He will probably only play Fortnite at begin because it is free and the console come without games.

I recommended to my cousin to buy Mario Kart because a little 7 years old will love it to play with the friends.
His wife talked about buying Zelda too.

Last edited:

yurinka

Neua3Z7.png

In the trailer released today they specify it's 'coming 2021' for PS5.

if he wants those 3 billion gamers, he should be making mobile games which Microsoft does not make.

He is clearly clueless like most MS execs. The console market is roughly 100-150 million users. Thats been true since the PS1 days. Nintendo brings in a bunch of new people every now and then but they arent gamers and do not buy games.

Rachel playing candy crush on her iphone while slacking off at work is not someone who gives a shit if MS bought Bethesda or not. This is delusional at best.
You guys know that xCloud allows you to steam Xbox games on Android phones right? It isn't about making Xbox mobile games it's about making Xbox games mobile. It's a novel idea and I'm interested to see how much reach they can have with it. Nintendo has shown there is a place for mobile gaming.

Raoul_Duke

You guys know that xCloud allows you to steam Xbox games on Android phones right? It isn't about making Xbox mobile games it's about making Xbox games mobile. It's a novel idea and I'm interested to see how much reach they can have with it. Nintendo has shown there is a place for mobile gaming.
You Missed the point.

kyliethicc

There's a place for playing Nintendo games, of course. But people playing Halo and Forza on their phones? I kinda doubt it.

The Switch is local not laggy cloud streaming. And it has real buttons not just a touchscreen. And it has Mario.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

Who is clueless - the CEO of the world's ritchest company, or a random dude on an internet forum? Geee it's si hard to tell...

What's really hard to undersyand? They are aiming at the 3BLN userbase, that's how many people across the globe play video games, that's a simple stat really, and they're aiming it the same way Netflix doesn't close itself to just TV users but opens itself also on smartphone, tablet, laptop and PC users as well. MS already partnered with Samsung to have GP on their TVs, I won't be surprised at all if we will hear about LG anytime soon, and who knows maybe even Sony in the future. Smartphones and tablets - same deal, they will want to put GP on as many Android/iOS devices as possible, and of course PCs as well. Will the get 50%? Of course not. 25%? Still way to high number. 10%? I'd say that's the highest they can ever dream about. But the thing is, if they'll be able to install GP on literally just a few percent of that 3BLM userbase, they'll be making more money than the console market alone would ever allow for. And bare in mind those people with GP still buy games, still buy DLCs, still buy MTX and what's not, there's a further money income on top of that wich Netflix or Spotify can't get, there's a reason gaming is bigger than movies and music industries combined after all. They just need to get to those people, that's all, and that won't happen overnight, rather a decade.

You Missed the point.
What point was that? Was there any indication Nadella was talking about selling 3 billion physical Xboxes?

There's a place for playing Nintendo games, of course. But people playing Halo and Forza on their phones? I kinda doubt it.

The Switch is local not laggy cloud streaming. And it has real buttons not just a touchscreen. And it has Mario.
Have you tired it? There are many options to be able to make playing games on a phone quite easy. The Razer Kishi is one such option.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Who is clueless - the CEO of the world's ritchest company, or a random dude on an internet forum? Geee it's si hard to tell...

What's really hard to undersyand? They are aiming at the 3BLN userbase, that's how many people across the globe play video games, that's a simple stat really, and they're aiming it the same way Netflix doesn't close itself to just TV users but opens itself also on smartphone, tablet, laptop and PC users as well. MS already partnered with Samsung to have GP on their TVs, I won't be surprised at all if we will hear about LG anytime soon, and who knows maybe even Sony in the future. Smartphones and tablets - same deal, they will want to put GP on as many Android/iOS devices as possible, and of course PCs as well. Will the get 50%? Of course not. 25%? Still way to high number. 10%? I'd say that's the highest they can ever dream about. But the thing is, if they'll be able to install GP on literally just a few percent of that 3BLM userbase, they'll be making more money than the console market alone would ever allow for. And bare in mind those people with GP still buy games, still buy DLCs, still buy MTX and what's not, there's a further money income on top of that wich Netflix or Spotify can't get, there's a reason gaming is bigger than movies and music industries combined after all. They just need to get to those people, that's all, and that won't happen overnight, rather a decade.
They can aim for those 3 billion "gamers" without buying bethesda or obsidian or ninja theory. They dont understand their own audience. The mobile or farmville userbase does not care about traditional games. If MS is aiming for those gamers then spending $7 billion on zenimax is straight up dumb. They needed a mobile developer acquisition instead.

TBH, I dont care if they want to expand gaming and get some of those people to buy gamepass, but they just dont have the games those people want. Their studios dont make those games. So what the hell is Satya going on about? It's wishful thinking at best. Not unlike when Don and other MS execs boasted about selling 1 billion xbox ones because they thought their tv pitch would work.

MS just doesnt understand the console business. Lets face it, they bought Bethesda because they wanted to win the console war. Not because they wanted to aim at the 3 billion userbase. it seems their CEO is completely detached from how the console business works and comes off as completely useless.

Raoul_Duke

What point was that? Was there any indication Nadella was talking about selling 3 billion physical Xboxes?

Have you tired it? There are many options to be able to make playing games on a phone quite easy. The Razer Kishi is one such option.
The point was selling a service to people that don’t give a fuck about what’s in there, or you expect candy crush karens and clash of clans dudes to sub to gamepass?

Both you and Nadella are missing the point.... nobody on mobile wants to play AAA console games on a mobile device... and especially not via streaming that unless you live in a rich country with unlimited data caps, it's really a non-starter.

That 3bln people globally play videogames is essentially irrelevant to a company like Xbox. It's a statement that intentionally ignores so much of the all important context of who those 3bln people are.

MS targeting their entire console strategy around the idea they can sell a streaming services of console games to a prevailing majority of mobile game consumers is tone-deaf at best, and at worst shows how Xbox management is totally divorced from the reality of who their Xbox platform target audience is. It's like Samsung launching a new video streaming service to complete with Netflix that only shows 80's Bollywood Films.

The reality is, Nadella and Spencer keep quoting this 3bln gamer figure in an attempt to keep their investor's attention away from Xbox and the reality that it's both a niche product and niche platform that MS Investors have been shouting about for the longest time is a huge opportunity cost for the company.

It's really Spencer and Nadella's passion project that doesn't really fit with MS's core businesses, i.e. the cloud and software as a service. Cloud Services is really where the majority of their company value is coming from. Gaming is pretty irrelevant to them.

Both you and Nadella are missing the point.... nobody on mobile wants to play AAA console games on a mobile device... and especially not via streaming that unless you live in a rich country with unlimited data caps, it's really a non-starter.

That 3bln people globally play videogames is essentially irrelevant to a company like Xbox. It's a statement that intentionally ignores so much of the all important context of who those 3bln people are.

MS targeting their entire console strategy around the idea they can sell a streaming services of console games to a prevailing majority of mobile game consumers is tone-deaf at best, and at worst shows how Xbox management is totally divorced from the reality of who their Xbox platform target audience is. It's like Samsung launching a new video streaming service to complete with Netflix that only shows 80's Bollywood Films.

The reality is, Nadella and Spencer keep quoting this 3bln gamer figure in an attempt to keep their investor's attention away from Xbox and the reality that it's both a niche product and niche platform that MS Investors have been shouting about for the longest time is a huge opportunity cost for the company.

It's really Spencer and Nadella's passion project that doesn't really fit with MS's core businesses, i.e. the cloud and software as a service. Cloud Services is really where the majority of their company value is coming from. Gaming is pretty irrelevant to them.
This.

I know what touches my sweet spot when it comes to gaming and AAA gaming on a mobile phone is not it. I have PS remote play and I'll always avoid playing any of my games on my mobile. Best I'd do is game on my laptop via remote play but that's as far as i will go.

If MS wants to capture the casual market on mobile devices, then they need to start pumping out some mobile specific games. I'm still not sure why they have not started doing that. They have the funds and resources to start up a mobile division so it shouldn't be an issue of funding.

But hey that's just my opinion. I mean MS wouldn't make these big changes if they didn't have any solid data on it or thoroughly researched the viability of going to a services type model, i dunno.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

50M is an uphill battle for them.
3 billion is completely out of the question.

Tell that to Netflix.. ;)

All said and done - what Nadella is discussing as a vision isn't about consoles at all - consoles are simply an enabler to the broader vision that they're apparently targeting - it's about Gaming as a Service - that's clearly their focus over the next several years/decade.. Whether or not they succeed - 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
The point was selling a service to people that don’t give a fuck about what’s in there, or you expect candy crush karens and clash of clans dudes to sub to gamepass?
How do you know who cares about games service? It's not like there was a real option before MS gave a legitimate way to play on a smartphone. How is Game pass doing compared to similar services? What are the PS Now numbers? MS should be close seeing how many more PlayStations are out there.

50M is an uphill battle for them.
3 billion is completely out of the question.
So because they couldn't sell 50M X1s they can't get more than that to play a mobile console game. I don't see how that works.

Clearly the people here are more knowledgeable than anyone at MS.

Pretty sure it is about presenting people with options. More options than what other companies are offering. Like with the Series S we'll have to see what consumers will use. We can't rely on doing the same thing forever just ask Blockbuster video.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom