• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's back!

Seems nobody with any kind of authority has come out and refuted rogame's findings yet.

Hope he can also dig up some Arden info as well.

Last edited:

vpance

Wasn't there a rumor about a basic PSV and a Pro model launching together this time?
One at 400 and one at 600!?

Yeah, it was reported by a Japanese journalist.

Either it's a 2 SKU strategy or the data is simply very old (proven by his latest tweets). We're repeating the same debates we had months ago.

If Playstation 5 final spec is true then ...... what an underwhelming next-gen console. I wanted to play native 4k gaming without any compromise, not some upscale or checkerboard rendering gimmick.

xool

That's (sounds like) GDDR6 in dual channel mode (2 16bit channels per chip), so actual number of chips = 8.

If they're 2GB chips (and why not) - that's just 16GB

36CUs, 16GB, 1.4Gbps RAM speed, sub 10TF GPU - this thing is lowballing most people's expectations imo

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Yeah, it was reported by a Japanese journalist.

Either it's a 2 SKU strategy or the data is simply very old (proven by his latest tweets). We're repeating the same debates we had months ago.
But its not. There where no Oberon A0 and B0 steps until August and October, only Gonzalo.

Which means this chip was tested lately. Which also, coincedently matches Taiwanese forum leak from few months back that Oberon is still going through verification revisions and is smaller then Arden.

All fits very, very nicely indeed. Seems to be carbon copy of last gen and Durango 1.2TF leak (although 9.3TF Navi in console form factor is very much a celling we expected).

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Once Phil Spencer started saying "We did the math" and came up with his 2x metric stronger then the current X it told me even the NextBox was not 12 TFs.

Anybody could do the math 12 is 2 X 6.

Besides 12 TF of RDNA would be bigger then this 2x metric.

I don't care about leaks from anyone.

Once the PR spin master Spencer says the math thing its because they manipulated those numbers to grasp that 2x power and people instantly said thats 12 then.

I could very well be wrong and hope we do get bigger machines next year.

I just feel if next gen was anywhere near 12tfs Spencer would have said numbers and not PR speak.

Why? Leaked Scarlet shows 560GB/s but at 12TF it has a bit less GB/s per TF then 448 GB/s and 9.3TF console.
Where does it show a 320-bit bus? On that PCB from the Project Scarlett reveal trailer at E3? How is that any proof that it's a 320-bit bus?

Guys this Oberon can’t be what amd uses for ps5 as it needs ray tracing core to be added so it will not be classed under Navi 10 by amd. Navi 10 has specific set of characteristics and when changed amd doesn’t call them Navi 10 anymore as the data mined Oberon mentions.

take it easy and 2 more months we know the bigger picture .
WFCC reporter that has been consistently correct on Navi says amd is making a big Navi gpu for ps5.

this could have been an early dev kit to tests the high clocks and Ssd speeds in the closed environment.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
It really contradicts what Jason, Klee, Reiner, Moriarty said before.
Not at all.

Not one of them had exact info like we have from Rogame (cache BW, number of WGPs, memory type, CUs, clocks etc).

I dont trust Klee and Moriarty 1 bit so I am not gonna entertain them.

For Jason and Reiner, Ill just mention that Sony had 13TF dev kits back in late 2018. They were GCN and they are in ballpark of 9TF Navi. Thats where they got "shooting above Stadia" (duh!) and "PS5 has more TF".

Because if you have 13TF GCN dev kit and 12TF target spec you can very easily misslead non technical person into believing in wrong thing.

Not at all.

Not one of them had exact info like we have from Rogame (cache BW, number of WGPs, memory type, CUs, clocks etc).

For Jason and Reiner, Ill just mention that Sony had 13TF dev kits back in late 2018. They were GCN and they are in ballpark of 9TF Navi.
Thats where they got "shooting above Stadia" (duh!) and "PS5 has more TF".

Because if you have 13TF GCN dev kit and 12TF target spec you can very easily misslead non technical person into believing in wrong thing.

Of course you are because they said PS5 is more powerful than XSX

So, rogame's data are old or something

Last edited:
Well, considering Oberon B0 stepping is from October, then I would say its the opposite.

Surely it's opposite when Cerny said that RT is hardware accelerated yet rogame's data claiming it's not. Yeah, his data are old from probably OLD DEVKITS

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Surely it's opposite when Cerny said that RT is hardware accelerated yet rogame's data claiming it's not. Yeah, his data are old
Note that Rogame just says he cant find RT in driver data, not that it doesnt exist. What kind of RT does Sony have (or MS) we dont know.

Not at all.

For Jason and Reiner, Ill just mention that Sony had 13TF dev kits back in late 2018. They were GCN and they are in ballpark of 9TF Navi. Thats where they got "shooting above Stadia" (duh!) and "PS5 has more TF".

Same thing can of course apply to Microsoft as well. Unless Microsoft had their final hardware revision devkits out before Sony did? There is as yet no proof that XSX is 12TF. Only vague statements that the CPU is 4x faster and the GPU is 2x faster.

10chips on motherboard. Cant be anything else.
How can you be sure that image was Scarlett's actual motherboard? Hopefully it is, because that should offer a nice amount of bandwidth, though I'd have preferred a 384-bit bus personally.

Hopefully Rogame can get some more details for Arden/Sparkman. Seems to be an abundance for Oberon, but nothing on the other side.

R600

Banned
Komachi couldn't find it before too.

Both MS and Sony said hardware RT. So, what's the problem with that?
Because we dont know what RT implementation they have. We dont even know what kind of RT implementation AMD has, let alone MS and Sony and if they are indeed same or not.

The fact that they cannot find RT in driver data dump doesnt mean it doesnt have it.

Because we dont know what RT implementation they have. We dont even know what kind of RT implementation AMD has, let alone MS and Sony and if they are indeed same or not.

The fact that they cannot find RT in driver data dump doesnt mean it doesnt have it.

Implementation doesn't matter in this discussion. Problem is rogame specifically said that RT isn't present in PS5, yet Cerny, the PS5 architect said it is, in very GPU. And hardware accelerated. So, he has some old data which Komachi found long time ago. Btw. first Sony devkits were out a long time ago. And i'm pretty sure Rogame found some old data

Last edited:
Not at all.

Dude they have target specs on a pierce of paper from both companies . They don’t need to relay on gcn or rdna confusion as the target specs mentions the architecture and the TF number .

how long have you been in this cycle of new dev kits ? A year and half before launch at bare minimum they get a target spec sheet regardless of dev kit status

R600

Banned
Dude they have target specs on a pierce of paper from both companies . They don’t need to relay on gcn or rdna confusion as the target specs mentions the architecture and the TF number .

how long have you been in this cycle of new dev kits ? A year and half before launch at bare minimum they get a target spec sheet regardless of dev kit status
How are you going to tell devs "target is 13TF" when Navi has 30% advantage (at min) over GCN per TF? If you did that in 2018 you would have to tell them to shot for 18TF GCN because Navi at 13Tf is that much better per TF.

Entroyp

Not at all.

Are you saying Spencer is misleading people to believing the new Xbox is 12 navi TFs when it is not?

Paulxo87

Mystic just posted a video about the whole 9.2 fiasco. This fucking blew up. This is going to have to prompt some type of reaction from Sony. They cannot be going into the launch year with people thinking the sexbox shits all over the ps5.

44alltheway

Mystic just posted a video about the whole 9.2 fiasco. This fucking blew up. This is going to have to prompt some type of reaction from Sony. They cannot be going into the launch year with people thinking the sexbox shits all over the ps5.
Ok so lets look at It from two different situations.

1: the rogame leaks are real. If that's the case than Sony just announces their console

2: the rogame leaks are not real, and the more powerful 11-13 TF rumor is real. If that's the case, Sony will still have their reveal event.

Why do people think these huge corporations should respond to rumors that may or may not be true. No matter what, Sony and Microsoft will reveal their consoles within the next ~90 days. Rumors will be meaningless when that happens because confirmed specs will be out plenty of time before release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom