• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great Hair

Banned
It's 7 years old, but yeah they just aren't prioritizing an Xbox version, doesn't mean it will never happen.
Phil Spencer once claimed, Sony had moneyhatted it away from Xbox ... ; they had 7 years to change their policies. Even FF14 Producer said "... there is no Xbox version, due MS policies preventing it (cross platform chat etc.)".
“I’ve been talking a lot with Phil for about three years and a half. Phil visits Square Enix around every six months, and we mail each other too. Back when we first talked, Xbox’s Cross-Platform policy was still very restricted. ‘Enclosing the users’ was still the base policy. ...

kim jong un GIF
"not this shittu egen!"

I do think Sony messed up bothering with BC, if there happens to be a Pro PS5 I will not be surprised if they drop BC from it.
BC and Free Upgrade is interesting if someone wants enhancements like 60fps or better resolution. But ends here.

If someone wants better enhancements in games, must pay. Spiderman: Remastered is an example. We will not see a big change on game assets for free.

It's a trade off. Pay for more, free for less.

I'm waiting for TLOU2 remastered (didn't play PS4 version yet).

Last edited:

Rea

I thought it was maybe they were not using next gen compression techniques on Xbox for some reason (ex bad tools). But now it seems like it might be a limitation of the compression that Xbox uses.

We need to wait and see if any other games are vastly smaller on the PS5 to know for sure.
Ac valhalla updates too, if this is going to be same for all games moving forward, PS5 825gb SSD is no problem at all. PS5 will have huge advantage.
t2pslMs.jpg

Ac valhalla updates too, if this is going to be same for all games moving forward, PS5 825gb SSD is no problem at all. PS5 will have huge advantage.
t2pslMs.jpg

Almost 50% smaller that's a huge difference.

But are they just putting both the Series X and Series S versions together?

Or will the console just download the one that it needs?

ethomaz

Banned
Almost 50% smaller that's a huge difference.

But are they just putting both the Series X and Series S versions together?

Or will the console just download the one that it needs?
Smart delivery is suppose to have the same game binary across versions and separately assets for each version... so the Series X only download the Series X assets and Series S only the Series S assets.

Assets I mean more textures... audio, videos, etc are the same.

Look at the size of the patch on PC... it matches the Series X and has no smart delivery... even XB1 is bigger than PS4 and PS5.

Last edited:
Smart delivery is suppose to have the same game binary across versions and separately assets for each version... so the Series X only download the Series X assets and Series S only the Series S assets.

Assets I mean more textures... audio, videos, etc are the same.

Look at the size of the patch on PC... it matches the Series X and has no smart delivery... even XB1 is bigger than PS4 and PS5.

What's the net difference from the patch, IE how much is getting overwritten?

SSfox

Man why BC even exists?
Pretty nice titles being announced and devs relying on BC to not make a PS5 version :(
Nah man i'm tired of buying same games twice like in ps234. Not anymore thanks to BC, without counting that a lot of great games already getting upgrade for free. And I hope ps123 BC will make it as well someday.

Fuck rebuying remasters, But remakes like SOTC, demon souls, and Crash i'm def in.

Lysandros

Areej recently published an article claiming the PS5 was RDNA 1.1, his lack of technical knowledge was exposed. I recommend giving the thread read.

I don't know if through the console history any other console than PS5 faced this much of a misinformation campaign. Wave after wave, attack en masse. Just incredible.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Calling it right now, best place to play series x/ps5 games is xbox series x +1

Selected titles. They will only choose the games that are popular or work. Not all games will see this kind of updates.

It looks like it's still a lot of work to get this done.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Control is a way more demanding game than Spider-Man. All those destruction physics, particle effects and material quality in Control are very impressive but also very demanding. Makes 60fps+RT much harder to achieve.

Assets are much higher quality on Spiderman MM, actually it's exaggeratingly extreme in that regard with even trash bins have bottles with full readable texts! How they managed to keep it at 50GB is mindblowing.

If Control 2 comes natively for current gen then you should expect much better performance and graphics, yes both.

PSX

I don't know if trough the console history any other console than PS5 faced this much of a misinformation campaign. Wave after wave, attack en masse. Just incredible.
PS5 is unstoppable force they can try to take it down and say whatever. It’s too late already we have seen the results we all already know which console does best at delivering performance.

LiquidRex

Having the GE is enough with the lesser FPU capability of the console, and we know very little as to what the GE can do as it needs investment from developers to get the most out of it, and that I assume won't be seen for another 2 years a least. then there's scrubbers to take into account, and the Kraken Compression tech.

Cerny's goal was to eliminate bottlenecks no point having a shit ton of TFLOPS if they're getting choked/staved waiting for data/putting that data onto the screen.

I assume if Xbox Series consoles have retained the full FPUs seen in RDNA 2 it's related to ML/Cloud based capabilities.

I think Sony made a smart move freeing up the CPU having 2 IO Co-Processors.

assurdum

Banned
I think it is weirder that you think (I believe based on your post history) that when the whole industry is working on ensuring HW based culling and HW capabilities to vary the rate of shading, Sony as a leader in 3d graphics would design a machine without HW support for these two areas. In addition, both functionalities were explicitly stated by Cerny in his Road to PS5 speech as part of the greatly upgraded geometry engine.

Why are people making any other conclusion than that Sony has customised hardware to ensure both of these functionalities in the PS5 is beyond me. How they perform? Completely different question.
Uh but GE it's a good chunk of the ps5 hardware and from sources have indicated it should do similar stuff of CRS and mesh shaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom