• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lysandros

Lysandros Lysandros and @IntentionalPun,

As far as I can tell, VRS is enabled by the updated RDNA RB+

image-135-1536x912.png

Source: Here.
Thanks. Yes, they are indeed saying the new RB+ is fine tuned to improve performance of VRS thanks to its multi-precision feature. If RB+ is in XSX, this can be it.

sinnergy

That is not a problem, there is no problem with Sony (or MS), despite best efforts trying to make it look at such by specs sheet checkboxing wars. Funny considering that now the full RDNA2 spiel means fully support (only) the features AMD revealed that day :lol apparently.

Both had a certain minimum performance target and then remaining budget for other features and it is clear which they are. For MS having AMD match the DX12U API (with some changes for a console environment) it was an overall much bigger priority than it was for Sony (see MS’s transition to the GDK from the XDK and their overall big plan on all platforms simultaneous distribution).
There is , because you guys keep speculating.. that’s because Sony hasn’t shown/told the whole picture..

If you see NVIDIa, the leader supporting all these technologies.. you don’t think it’s weird?

Last edited:

Elog

There is , because you guys keep speculating.. that’s because Sony hasn’t shown/told the whole picture..

If you see NVIDIa, the leader supporting all these technologies.. you don’t think it’s weird?
I think it is weirder that you think (I believe based on your post history) that when the whole industry is working on ensuring HW based culling and HW capabilities to vary the rate of shading, Sony as a leader in 3d graphics would design a machine without HW support for these two areas. In addition, both functionalities were explicitly stated by Cerny in his Road to PS5 speech as part of the greatly upgraded geometry engine.

Why are people making any other conclusion than that Sony has customised hardware to ensure both of these functionalities in the PS5 is beyond me. How they perform? Completely different question.

How is that weird?

Obviously, AMD and Nvidia were looking to support DX12u so there is some parity (at least for what is supported, obviously very different HW implementations). Sony is doing their own thing.

I'm not sure what brought all this to the front again, no information that Sony or MS provides at this point changes the boxes as they are.

sinnergy

How is that weird?

Obviously, AMD and Nvidia were looking to support DX12u so there is some parity (at least for what is supported, obviously very different HW implementations). Sony is doing their own thing.

I'm not sure what brought all this to the front again, no information that Sony or MS provides at this point changes the boxes as they are.
Because it’s very easy for Sony to say look, they use VRS, we have this solution , , and they use Meshshading and do it like this . We do it like this. They have SFS , we do that like this ... but they haven’t..

Instead they let you guys make everything up ..

I think that’s weird and not transparent at all.

For example they fully disclosed their SSD solution.

Last edited:
Because it’s very easy for Sony to say look, they use VRS , we have , and they use Meshshading we have and do it , like this . They have SFS , we do that like this ... but they haven’t..

It would be unusual for the market leader to even mention a competitor directly, let alone run point by point down their naming conventions. Companies that are chasing the leader will often make references to things they do as well as or better than the leader. This holds in almost all industries.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Damn he got banned. Never understood why he consistently lost his shit during debates. Like chill dude!

He got banned for this, something to do with anime and hentai:

sinnergy

It would be unusual for the market leader to even mention a competitor directly, let alone run point by point down their naming conventions. Companies that are chasing the leader will often make references to things they do as well as or better than the leader. This holds in almost all industries.
I know , I am against this mentality in general .

So NVIDIA is not a market leader and knows jack shit about graphics.. yet pc gamers buy these cards because of those features, just saying ..

Sony is doing very weird in this regard.

But fully disclose their state of the art SSD solution ...

MonarchJT

Banned
The truth is if a manufacturer is sure they have an advantage they will advertise it until everyone out there knows that that is one of the strong points of the product. We must admit that the silence that Sony has had regarding the specifications of its console is at least dubious. All this will not end until we have certain answers which in any case would be welcome and easy to give by the development team. "We have our own HW version of the VRS" period ."We bring the ML to HW level" period. "We have our own HW version of the SF" period."the GE does exactly the same thing as the Mesh Shader" or even better "The GE is superior to the mesh shader" period. They shouldn't even explain how it works but just say that their hardware supports that function, just like they did for the RT. Any answer would be welcome and easy especially as many in here say Sony supports EVERYTHING and more. It is not the fault of those who ask questions and speculate and are at this point rightly doubtful .(especially with Ms saying that are the only one supporting all rdna2 features).. but on the contrary of those who do not give complete explanations, information and complete specifications.

at least I'm happy that just a dieshot has trashed many of the BS that circulated and were created thanks to this silence

Last edited:

No one insults loli-chan and gets away with it

Desu

mitchman

Gold Member

Probably due to "hentai fans are outright pedos, all of them". What a stupid thing to say.

I know , I am against this mentality in general .

So NVIDIA is not a market leader and knows jack shit about graphics.. yet pc gamers buy these cards because of those features, just saying ..

Sony is doing very weird in this regard.

But fully disclose their state of the art SSD solution ...

Nvidia is the market leader, that's why you'll almost never hear them mention AMD or anything AMD related directly. That's what I'm getting at. MS is going to mention Sony more than Sony mentions MS, same for AMD and Nvidia where AMD will frequently compare AMD cards to Nvidia parts but Nvidia compares their cards to earlier iterations of their own design. It's just how marketing works, neither side is wrong it's a tried and true formula.

I'll give you the second point in regards to Infinity Cache, if Sony had it, I think they would have mentioned it. But it doesn't seem like API info is really that interesting to the average consumer.

That last comment was absolutely out of line, I understand now why the action was taken. Thanks for sharing (y)

ethomaz

Banned
I can’t believe people thinks because a game runs in 40-60fps in photo mode is enough to make a 60fps gameplay mode lol

That is Bathalia spin like usual.

If the game could run at 60fps they should had launched it with 60fps not 30fps lol for 60fps now they should have to make drastic performance optimizations/changes in the whole game.

$$$

Last edited:

DJ12

The truth is if a manufacturer is sure they have an advantage they will advertise it until everyone out there knows that that is one of the strong points of the product. We must admit that the silence that Sony has had regarding the specifications of its console is at least dubious. All this will not end until we have certain answers which in any case would be welcome and easy to give by the development team. "We have our own HW version of the VRS" period ."We bring the ML to HW level" period. "We have our own HW version of the SF" period."the GE does exactly the same thing as the Mesh Shader" or even better "The GE is superior to the mesh shader" period. They shouldn't even explain how it works but just say that their hardware supports that function, just like they did for the RT. Any answer would be welcome and easy especially as many in here say Sony supports EVERYTHING and more. It is not the fault of those who ask questions and speculate and are at this point rightly doubtful .(especially with Ms saying that are the only one supporting all rdna2 features).. but on the contrary of those who do not give complete explanations, information and complete specifications.

at least I'm happy that just a dieshot has trashed many of the BS that circulated and were created thanks to this silence
Road to ps5 went down like a lead balloon.

Ps5 showcase event please absolutely everyone apart from Microsoft.

I hope that clears this issue you seem to be having up.

DJ12

Control is a way more demanding game than Spider-Man. All those destruction physics, particle effects and material quality in Control are very impressive but also very demanding. Makes 60fps+RT much harder to achieve.
Or......

Insomniac tech lovers pushing the envelope because they wanted too

Remedy, looking for money for old rope, probably working on a new game, and cannot devote that kinda resource to update the code.

Control is a way more demanding game than Spider-Man. All those destruction physics, particle effects and material quality in Control are very impressive but also very demanding. Makes 60fps+RT much harder to achieve.
By more demanding you mean more poorly developed? More inefficiently coded? Yeah I'd agree then. One is an open world with tons of verticality and basically no load times. The other is in a closed environment with a grounded character and lots of papers / rocks flying around, running like shit with rtx on.

assurdum

Banned
It's not matter of more demanding. Insomniac has lot more resources and crew of Remedy. Yeah Control it's more demanding in some sense BUT it's not an open world and there is a very limited number of NPCs, so it saves performance where game like Spiderman is extremely more pushed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom