• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
JnHjXnk.jpg

This is so apt.

I know COVID has messed up many production schedule but 2020-21 from Microsoft and Nintendo has been/shaping up to be absolutely abysmal.

4yi8y3.jpg

Lysandros

Having the GE is enough with the lesser FPU capability of the console, and we know very little as to what the GE can do as it needs investment from developers to get the most out of it, and that I assume won't be seen for another 2 years a least. then there's scrubbers to take into account, and the Kraken Compression tech.

Cerny's goal was to eliminate bottlenecks no point having a shit ton of TFLOPS if they're getting choked/staved waiting for data/putting that data onto the screen.

I assume if Xbox Series consoles have retained the full FPUs seen in RDNA 2 it's related to ML/Cloud based capabilities.

I think Sony made a smart move freeing up the CPU having 2 IO Co-Processors.
I agree generally but what's the source or confirmation fot the "lesser FPU capability", may i ask?

Having the GE is enough with the lesser FPU capability of the console, and we know very little as to what the GE can do as it needs investment from developers to get the most out of it, and that I assume won't be seen for another 2 years a least. then there's scrubbers to take into account, and the Kraken Compression tech.

Cerny's goal was to eliminate bottlenecks no point having a shit ton of TFLOPS if they're getting choked/staved waiting for data/putting that data onto the screen.

I assume if Xbox Series consoles have retained the full FPUs seen in RDNA 2 it's related to ML/Cloud based capabilities.

I think Sony made a smart move freeing up the CPU having 2 IO Co-Processors.
Liquid “the GE is the answer to humanities problems” Rex

I don't know if through the console history any other console than PS5 faced this much of a misinformation campaign. Wave after wave, attack en masse. Just incredible.
Well all those campaigns have 2 things in common. For starters, they all succeed in bringing more attention towards ps5 and not away from it like most are aiming to do and 2, they (mostly) fail in slowing down or reducing demand for that platform. So all in all, those people doing misinformation campaigns are unaware that they’re diverting more attention towards that console, which I’ll assume isn’t the outcome they’re expecting but oh well. It is what it is I suppose.

A lot of controversy brewing in the Twittersphere. Recently Moore'sLawIsDead threw shots at RedGamingTech about some of the PS5 info he leaked which turned out to be false or something (I think.) RGT responded by saying how MLiD has been taking RGT's leaks and passing them off as his own including the RDNA 3 and GE information as well the Metal Gear Solid remake.

Funnily enough I actually made a severel posts on here last year in which I suspected that we should be careful of MLiD and some of his PS5 leaks because it seemed like he was just getting information from RGT and passing it off as his own. It explains why a lot of people were annoyed at MLiD especially Matt Hargett (PS5 engineer). Anyway it seems like the cat is out the bag now.

Neo Blaster

Because it’s very easy for Sony to say look, they use VRS, we have this solution , , and they use Meshshading and do it like this . We do it like this. They have SFS , we do that like this ... but they haven’t..

Instead they let you guys make everything up ..

I think that’s weird and not transparent at all.

For example they fully disclosed their SSD solution.
So, for you, if Sony haven't talked about said tech, it just does not exist inside PS5 on any form?

Fuzzy logic...

LiquidRex

A lot of controversy brewing in the Twittersphere. Recently Moore'sLawIsDead threw shots at RedGamingTech about some of the PS5 info he leaked which turned out to be false or something (I think.) RGT responded by saying how MLiD has been taking RGT's leaks and passing them off as his own including the RDNA 3 and GE information as well the Metal Gear Solid remake.

Funnily enough I actually made a severel posts on here last year in which I suspected that we should be careful of MLiD and some of his PS5 leaks because it seemed like he was just getting information from RGT and passing it off as his own. It explains why a lot of people were annoyed at MLiD especially Matt Hargett (PS5 engineer). Anyway it seems like the cat is out the bag now.

I was really pissed off last night when I heard MLID say what he said.... MLID acted unprofessionally, he even took a swipe at another Youtuber MBG. All in a lame ass attempt to deflect the heat off himself!! :messenger_pouting::messenger_fire:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think people should rationalize that both of these consoles use the RDNA 2 APU variant +/- features vs RDNA 2 Desktop.

End results should always be what matters going forward though. We're still in a muddy phase now, by next year we should see more graphics/performance that show the power of either console, especially when UE5 and Sony Atom View are used in the next wave of games on multiplats and PS5 exclusives for data streaming and with no traditional LOD system.

ErRor88

Geometry engine ..the same? Isn't it the ps5 geometry engine hardware quite bigger in size than the series X?Or I remember wrong?
Bigger doesn't always mean better. I think the differences are that one uses Primitives and the other uses Mesh in their engines.

Lysandros

Geometry engine ..the same? Isn't it the ps5 geometry engine hardware quite bigger in size than the series X?Or I remember wrong?
I am also highly suspicious of that claim, doesn't seem to be the case size wise, PS5's GE is supposed to be customized to be fully programmable to enable very early culling. Maybe he is talking about the rasterizer and prim unit blocks of the front end.

Last edited:

ErRor88

I am also highly suspicious of that claim, doesn't seem to be the case size wise, PS5's GE is supposed to be customized to be fully programmable to enable very early culling. Maybe he is talking about the rasterizer and prim unit blocks of the front end.
I think this comes from having Primitive Shader being programmable. But, Mesh shader extends this further by simplifying the process.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/primitive-shader-amds-patent-deep-dive.186831/

Lysandros

I think this comes from having Primitive Shader being programmable. But, Mesh shader extends this further by simplifying the process.

The process described here seem to use prim units and CUs, GE itself doesn't even seem to be in the process diagram. I don't think this the very same technique described by Cerny and Matt Hargett to which GE situated within the central cluster (togheter with GCP and ACEs+HWS) of the die plays a crucial role as far as i understand.

Last edited:

This guy Calo is a SenjustuSage's ALT account troll. He's misinformed about PS5's Primitive Shaders, as he argues they're the same as the first gen Vega PS, which they aren't.

His whole diatribe lays out accurately how PS and MS are described by AMD/NVidia, and then he jumps to some bizarre conclusion at the end with no reasoning or evidentiary justification to back up why he thinks MS >> PS. He doesn't seem to grasp that Suface Shaders on the AMD RDNA side replicate the functionality of Task Shaders on the NVidia side. So his argument that MS >> PS because of Task Shaders is bunk.

In reality, while Mesh Shaders differ in implementation from Primitive Shaders, the objective and results are the same.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This guy Calo is a SenjustuSage's ALT account troll. He's misinformed about PS5's Primitive Shaders, as he argues they're the same as the first gen Vega PS, which they aren't.

His whole diatribe lays out accurately how PS and MS are described by AMD/NVidia, and then he jumps to some bizarre conclusion at the end with no reasoning or evidentiary justification to back up why he thinks MS >> PS. He doesn't seem to grasp that Suface Shaders on the AMD RDNA side replicate the functionality of Task Shaders on the NVidia side. So his argument that MS >> PS because of Task Shaders is bunk.

In reality, while Mesh Shaders differ in implementation from Primitive Shaders, the objective and results are the same.
i love how 90% of the posters in that thread are now banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom