• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Microsoft/Sony are pursuit cheap for lower the final product retail/manufacture cost.
You're asking for the two top on PC market to build a next gen console?
Its just like Sony asking for Apple to build a PS5.

True plus for Intel in particular, the console business probably dwarfs what they see in PC, server and big data sales.

Sony is hampered by their success ... if they price to high more people will stay on ps4 for longer and potentially more chance of defecting to xbox. If they spec to low then more chance of defecting to xbox.

What they should have done imho is gone 2 sku and with one price high, spec high and bundle games with psn and push gamepass for playstation... try build loyalty that way. ( Thats what xbox is doing).
Really tho a 399 price point is exactly what they want imo. Want ps4 extension to ps5, and if anything, willing to bet consumer confidence in them to go with a nice price point. The small percentage of hardcore they could potentially lose could be easily recouped by a consumer that wants a next gen machine buts willing to pay for brand at a cheaper price point that competition. I think its hard to argue that imo.

Dargor

Future-proofing and streaming, I'd assume. Though the latter doesn't really require the same architecture as the original native hardware.

But he (Proelite) mentioned Sony's GNMX allowing to-the-metal coding on PS4 being a possible reason, since they know BC of physical games will still be a big thing at least for a few more years (and I strongly hope we don't see any remaster or remakes of PS4/XBO games on next-gen. Those games don't need it, technically speaking).

Would they really need to do that? its not like the ps4 is some complex beast like the ps3 was, they could make a good emulator and be done with it.

Because sony thinks backwards compatible is important... until its not and then it is again.

Huh? I'm trying to understand this move, what you just said makes even less sense.

They don't care about (ps4), sell 100+ million consoles, now they care (ps5) and gonna lose the power struggle over it, by such a large margin even?

Neither consoles had BC at the beginning. People's expectations changed after XB1 BC and the pro consoles.

I dont think they did at all. Bc didnt do anything for xbox this gen, good or bad, much like they didnt for sony.

Last edited:
Sounds like Sony legal team stepped in

We can only guess for now that might be a factor (I guess); if so that does beg the question: why target those leaks in particular? It'd be much more lowkey way of incidentally confirming a rumor by paying any attention to it at all. Other leaks that we know are way off are still floating around for both systems.

So hopefully that wasn't the reason they've been removed, otherwise like I was getting at earlier, that would instantly make them very credible leaks.

Would they really need to do that? its not like the ps4 some complex beats like the ps3 was, they could make a good emulator and be done with it.

You'd be surprised at how lazy these companies can be when it comes to designing their own in-house software emulators. MS is kind of the exception here with the OG Xbox emulation on XBO, but then again OG Xbox emulation was easily the furthest behind in the retro scene so they kind of had no choice. If it were more popular in that scene to get the interest in developing a mature emulator, MS likely would've just taken parts of source code from that and pretend they didn't.

And FWIW Sony had good software emulation in PS3 for PS2; I'll assume that was all in-house and didn't involve any shady stuff. But OTOH, you have situations like Sony's emulation with PS Classic (the emulator isn't actually theirs), or Nintendo being incredibly slow with emulation on their systems (and then ripping off ROMs from the internet to dump on their stores at markup prices), and it's somewhat easy for these companies to take the lazy route at times, even for big affairs.

Also while I'm sure overall PS5 is going to be magnitudes more powerful than PS3 in every single respect, the Cell processor is still a bit of a wild beast. There's some decent PS3 emulation on PC but you need some pretty powerful rigs to get satisfying performance out of it. And we already know neither PS5 or XSEX aren't going to match, say, a 7th-gen i5 or i7 in CPU power.

But outside of that, I'm still curious myself why BC would (allegedly) gut PS5 that much on CU count. Someone else mentioned maybe it's their RT solution being the issue (and if I can throw in there, maybe custom VR support too); that sounds at least (if not more) likely the reason...

...again assuming these latest leaks turn out to be true.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
Would they really need to do that? its not like the ps4 is some complex beast like the ps3 was, they could make a good emulator and be done with it.

Huh? I'm trying to understand this move, what you just said makes even less sense.

They don't care about (ps4), sell 100+ million consoles, now they care (ps5) and gonna lose the power struggle over it, by such a large margin even?

I dont think they did at all. Bc didnt do anything for xbox this gen, good or bad, much like they didnt for sony.

Look at Sonys and Xbox history of support for backwards compatibility and the PR spats between them. Most people know exactly what i mean “who would want to play these games?”

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Objectively, Sony will do a full reveal within the next 4 months so I doubt they are going to be that bothered. AMD on the other hand will no doubt be concerned with managing impressions that they are running a leaky ship!

We know from comments from developers that Sony have put out several revisions of the devkit and that its been steadily improving. The overall impression being that everything is moving smoothly and that the toolchain is in a very good state this far out. It all seems very positive to me, and that in my estimation is probably a better bellwether than raw numbers.

One of the biggest positives of Cerny's involvement with the PS4's hardware design was his focus on what can only be described as "developer comfort", and I think that could be another ace-in-the-hole for Sony this time.

Dargor

You'd be surprised at how lazy these companies can be when it comes to designing their own in-house software emulators. MS is kind of the exception here with the OG Xbox emulation on XBO, but then again OG Xbox emulation was easily the furthest behind in the retro scene so they kind of had no choice. If it were more popular in that scene to get the interest in developing a mature emulator, MS likely would've just taken parts of source code from that and pretend they didn't.

And FWIW Sony had good software emulation in PS3 for PS2; I'll assume that was all in-house and didn't involve any shady stuff. But OTOH, you have situations like Sony's emulation with PS Classic (the emulator isn't actually theirs), or Nintendo being incredibly slow with emulation on their systems (and then ripping off ROMs from the internet to dump on their stores at markup prices), and it's somewhat easy for these companies to take the lazy route at times, even for big affairs.

Also while I'm sure overall PS5 is going to be magnitudes more powerful than PS3 in every single respect, the Cell processor is still a bit of a wild beast. There's some decent PS3 emulation on PC but you need some pretty powerful rigs to get satisfying performance out of it. And we already know neither PS5 or XSEX aren't going to match, say, a 7th-gen i5 or i7 in CPU power.

But outside of that, I'm still curious myself why BC would (allegedly) gut PS5 that much on CU count. Someone else mentioned maybe it's their RT solution being the issue (and if I can throw in there, maybe custom VR support too); that sounds at least (if not more) likely the reason...

...again assuming these latest leaks turn out to be true.

I'm sure they can be very lazy, but this is something else entirely. Unless they have a really good reason, and no, I dont think bc is a good reason, they might lose the hardcore gamers and they are by far the more impontant group at the beggining of every gen. They are the ones that buy the consoles day one and shows their support by buying the most games. The casual market goes for whats more popular and they are fickle, you can't count on them at the beggining of the gen.

VR needs more power to work better as far as I know, so for VR to gimp the console power it would be because they plan to ship the console with a VR unit, so they could keep the costs down by having a cheaper console and again they'd be losing hardcore gamers, just look at the xbox one and kinect, it would be history repeating itself, just on the other side.

About RT, I cant comment, I dunno anything about it.

Look at Sonys and Xbox history of support for backwards compatibility and the PR spats between them. Most people know exactly what i mean “who would want to play these games?”

I'm sorry man, again, this doesn't make sense to me. Sony has been the one not caring for bc in the recent past and they didn't suffer at all over it, why would they now be so concerned about it that they would lose the power struggle over it?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Yeah i struck me also very late i must admit - in the aftermath of this Attack against Sony it came clear that Arden actually is also connected to that whole bunch of Shakespear Codenames. obviosly not fitting with the Theory that those where Sony only related, when i real it was all about AMDs own codenames for their Products (wich may still include some of the APIs from Console manufacturers)

Jeez, melodramatic conspiracy theories much?

Many Moons , Many Moons!

e50f425a63044d511a226d0f512bc56325406e96_hq.jpg
Ohhh so it all goes back to URANUS.

I knew it!

Both Microsoft/Sony are pursuit cheap for lower the final product retail/manufacture cost.
You're asking for the two top on PC market to build a next gen console?
Its just like Sony asking for Apple to build a PS5.
They did it for the 360 and PS3.
I am assuming that the benefit for AMD is that it would take the shape of an APU, while it wouldn't if using Nvidia and Intel.

Whelp, I guess the internet beat Sony and MS to the punch. No wonder MS was so cocky about having the most powerful console.
PS5 = 9.2tflops and XBX = 12tflops.

That's a bigger gap than I thought. Although it did get confirmed that PS5 did have Ray Tracing and VRS on their GPU.

All Sony leaked codenames are characters from Shakespear (Gonzalo, Oberon, Ariel, Flute), Arden is not.

Orban and Ariel have same BC - same Sony PS4/Pro clocks, they are the same chip.

Arden and Sparkman have Xbox BC.

Its not attack on Sony. Its just some poor soul putting incredibly sensitive internal test info in public (happened last time as well).

In any case both consoles are 90% known now.

-kb-

Whelp, I guess the internet beat Sony and MS to the punch. No wonder MS was so cocky about having the most powerful console.

That's a bigger gap than I thought. Although it did get confirmed that PS5 did have Ray Tracing and VRS on their GPU.

There is nothing that indicates that Ariel or Oberon has VRS or Raytracing in the Github leak, which in my mind is the strangest thing because we know for sure that it DOES have raytracing.

Ms intent was to always be performance leader, im assuming tho they thought Sony was going in on a 399 price point, nothing was every set in stone imo. They might of gotten lucky here but still will he 100 more. Still alot of time and cant say anything definitively yet.

There is nothing that indicates that Ariel or Oberon has VRS or Raytracing in the Github leak, which in my mind is the strangest thing because we know for sure that it DOES have raytracing.
One of the guys looking through the data on Era revealed it.

Ms intent was to always be performance leader, im assuming tho they thought Sony was going in on a 399 price point, nothing was every set in stone imo. They might of gotten lucky here but still will he 100 more. Still alot of time and cant say anything definitively yet.
Phil did say they wont get caught on price or power this gen.

vpance

Easiest way to check if the Github data is relevant is to see if the guy's been fired. Or maybe just email him, lol.

GNMX allowed devs to code to the metal. MS didn't (DirectX) since the Xbox One had to run the game through a hypervisor + they applied lessons from 360 BC.

The Xbox BC team, the DirectX team and the team that designed the Xbox One OS the way they did deserve major credit. Xbox has never been so perfectly positioned from a pure preparation perspective.

Last edited:

Norse

Why is Sony pro BC now? PS4 digital game sales. They can't screw all those owners over if/when they move to PS5.

TLZ

Banned

quest

Not Banned from OT
For both consoles?
Unless they are scared of leaks I see no reason to reveal so soon. Only Sony has the firepower maybe to keep hype up for 11 months and that is pushing it. MS I am day 1 but no way has the games to maintain 11 months of hype. It makes 0 sense to me unless its leaks they fear.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Phil may have a bit more information than us, but he is not playing this game alone, and the other team is placing their pieces too. So he can say whatever he wants.
I think he knows what Sony can afford to lose and got the green light from the suits to match if needed. He did not say that with out getting approval on pricing ahead of time. If both have same specs prices will be the same.

Interesting post from the other place

My suspicion: The Oberon/Ariel chips are a design that was designed for the planned 2019 release of PS5. At some point Sony decided to wait for more advanced technologies like RT and VRS, but decided to go ahead and use the original APU design in the early Devkits. The reason the clock speed is cranked so high was to get them as close to possible to the final silicon's target performance. While it falls short of the target, it's good enough for devs to start working with and for the OS and BC teams to get their tools up and running. The final PS5 chip is bigger, probably clocked lower and has yet to be leaked. This would explain why the performance stats don't match up with the insider information implying PS5 is more powerful, while also explaining why Sony was further along getting devkits in the wild.

Sounds like a pretty reasonable theory/explanation. My main concern is that insiders/journalists that has spoken about PS5/XSX (even Jeff Gertsmann) said both consoles are close/identical in power.....which means one of the following:

1) Insiders/journalists that has given their insights are all wrong...and this is indeed the PS5 chip (without RT & VRS...lol)
2) XSX being double one X really means 12 TF GCN and it is really ~9 TF RDNA....which goes against what Windows Central and even Richard Leadbetter's sources....and goes into that stupid mumbo jumbo flop conversion even though we're dealing with RDNA
3) Oberon/Ariel chips are old...which explains missing features and clocked so high...aka the post above

I don't know....number 3 sounds the most plausible to me.

longdi

Banned
Sony Mark may have designed the best $399 consoles for 2019, early 2020.
I'm sad they chose an old Navi gpu, at only 9tflops, and only 16gb of 256bit ram.
Sounds just like that, a 2019-early 2020 release. It is a total failure of hype.
You can't go the lazy PS4 Pro way for a new gen.

And if MS somehow outspecs them greatly at the same prices at the same year.
Fucking hell, 24gb on 384bit bus and next gen RT. This is a bandwidth beast, often lacking in consoles.
This is like 2013 e3 again, only roles have been flipped.

Tbh we seen roles reversal, winners getting cucked next gen.
No surprises if Sony is made to look stupid next year.
Sony even have to pay MS to use their azure servers for cloud gaming.

It is over, the dreams. All wasted.
Maybe this laziness is why core execs jumped from SCE.

I hate to say this, but Phil sayz astro-turfing is correct. All of it.

12Dannu123

The Xbox BC team, the DirectX team and the team that designed the Xbox One OS the way they did deserve major credit. Xbox has never been so perfectly positioned from a pure preparation perspective.

Coding to the metal is bound to bring problems down the ride. It seems like Sony is learning that lesson the hard way if BC is the reason why PS5 is weak as it is. If it's BC to blame, then Sony consoles will be hampered as long as they are BC.

People were basing MS on why games were in a VM, we now know why...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom